Register Register

Author Topic: No Rules for Minelayer Infantry?  (Read 397 times)

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
No Rules for Minelayer Infantry?
« on: 15 August 2022, 22:22:38 »
TRO 3085 includes a platoon of Minelayer infantry, but Specialized Infantry in TO:AUE doesn't have an entry for minelayers, only minesweepers. Anyone know what's up with that?
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: No Rules for Minelayer Infantry?
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2022, 01:11:26 »
Demolition Engineers are the closest I see, but your point is taken.  Mine laying equipment exists for BA and larger vehicles, and it would make sense that Combat Engineers of some flavor could lay mines, but I don't see it spelled out anywhere.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2022, 05:45:21 »
On old TO, Combat Engineers are able to be assigned to perform minelayer duty. Combat Engineers are able to be assigned to one task before a scenario and minelayer is one of these.

edit: sorry, it was incorrect and what I actually have seen was minesweeping engineers.

But if you want to do it I think that Demolition Engineers would be the most similar with this.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2022, 05:48:53 by PuppyLikesLaserPointers »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2022, 05:58:10 »
Given that the Minelayer infantry has line "Combat engineers: Minelayer", makes me think TacOps needs errata to add this. Looking at old TacOps errata, Scuba (Mechanized) was added in errata. So it makes sense Minelayer Infantry is supposed to be added as well.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2022, 06:30:25 »
That would be the best solution.  It would take a line or two of rules to outline how big of a minefield they could lay and how long it would take.

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2022, 06:36:49 »
Honestly shocked that, as far as I can tell, it's only coming up now.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2022, 06:55:20 »
Easy to overlook. Minelayer infantry is so logical people just gloss over that bit they're not actually included in TacOps, even though they logically should be.
Or perhaps the issue was raised internally (Scuba Mechanized was evidently added for TRO3085) but it was forgotten to be included in errata. There have been inadvertent changes and omissions in erratas before.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2022, 10:21:19 »
Or it could simply be that PBI plant mines when no enemy is around, while all the other mine-laying sources are for active combat scenarios.  It's not like they need any special equipment in order to do it, other than the basic entrenching tool.  All the rest is transport.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2022, 10:28:07 »
Or it could simply be that PBI plant mines when no enemy is around, while all the other mine-laying sources are for active combat scenarios.  It's not like they need any special equipment in order to do it, other than the basic entrenching tool.  All the rest is transport.
The minelayer infantry from TRO 3085 are depicted as having a mine dispersal rig similar to Battle Armor Mine Dispensers that should, based on what's said and shown, allow them to seed minefields in combat.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2022, 11:54:22 »
Do we have a canon vehicle that plants mines during a tactical turn?  I enjoyed playing with the Minelayers in MechCommander Gold and the only way I really saw it to be done was using Hetzer (LRM) to toss out fields.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2022, 12:18:27 »
Do we have a canon vehicle that plants mines during a tactical turn?  I enjoyed playing with the Minelayers in MechCommander Gold and the only way I really saw it to be done was using Hetzer (LRM) to toss out fields.

I assume you mean other than Thunder and FASCAM systems, right?

I'm not aware of any myself, and I can't find an option for it in MegaMekLab.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2022, 12:18:48 »
Same: Any vehicle with an LRM is one, as noted.  I can't think of any with dedicated mine laying equipment.

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2022, 12:35:11 »
The Vehiclular Mine Dispenser, TO:AUE p. 137. Used by variants of the Centaur, Myrmidon, Bardiche, Fulmar, Beagle, Hunter, Demon, and Vandal combat vehicles.
There's also the Battle Armor Mine Dispenser, used by the Fah Shih, Gray Death Infiltrator, Void, Shen Long, and Sloth BAs.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2022, 12:37:57 by pokefan548 »
Poke's Aerospace Academy

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2022, 13:12:34 »
Centaur?  It is either a Proto or the RAF's Artillery BA.

Vandal is the new Cappie Omni, the Vandal B has the dispenser.

Fulmar is a WiGE, has 4 dispensers.

Myrmidon Type 2 has 'launchers' per Sarna, but that is probably a error.

Hunter is the Sea Hunter/Hunter Amphib.

Demon is the CX-2, a experimental design.

Beagle is the LRRP, a SLDF experimental design.

. . . the Bardiche & Myrmidon are the only main line vehicle with Mine Dispensers . . . but the Bardiche is wheeled, and neither is really a dedicated minelaying vehicle.

It would be cool if they would re-work the old 40t Engineering Vehicle to turn it into a Omni to give it variants where it had mine & sensor dispensers, fluid sprayers, and some of the other support type equipment.  I will have to pull out MML when I get home and throw a link here.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2022, 13:33:34 »
Handbook: House Liao has minelayer infantry.  Says "... follow the rules for Combat Engineers (TO) for maximum size and construction..."
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 16 August 2022, 13:45:18 »
Handbook: House Liao has minelayer infantry.  Says "... follow the rules for Combat Engineers (TO) for maximum size and construction..."
Yes, but the crux of the issue is that there are several types of Combat Engineers, but TO has no entry for minelayer infantry, and seemingly never has despite being referenced multiple times now.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 16 August 2022, 13:52:54 »
Yes, but the crux of the issue is that there are several types of Combat Engineers, but TO has no entry for minelayer infantry, and seemingly never has despite being referenced multiple times now.
I get an impression that the HBHL actually gives the rules for this type.
"Minelayer infantry operates in a fashion similar to Demolitions Engineers." and goes on from there.

That said, i do believe this probably should be included in TacOps.
-What's the difference?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 16 August 2022, 15:08:54 »
Does it say how big a minefield, or how long it takes? ???

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 16 August 2022, 15:11:14 »
Does it say how big a minefield, or how long it takes? ???

Yup, there's nearly a full column that covers pretty much everything from size to what happens if they take fire/damage during work.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 16 August 2022, 15:17:32 »
Cool... that should definitely be in TacOps!  :thumbsup:

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 16 August 2022, 15:19:34 »
I tossed this question to Errata Discussion thread as it is not straight errata for TacOps as HBHL essentially has the rules. But there's no note in TRO3085 where minelayer infantry rules are, not to mention one housebook being a rather weird place for them.
-What's the difference?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 16 August 2022, 15:22:12 »
That was the right place to post the problem for TPTB.  :thumbsup: