Register Register

Author Topic: Punching/Melee weapon question.  (Read 350 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
Punching/Melee weapon question.
« on: 13 September 2021, 02:06:35 »
Hey there, can ya'll help clear something up for me.

The Battletech Manual says that Yes, you can punch with one or both arms. It doesn't say anything about being able to attack more than once in a turn if making an attack with physical weapons, however.

It does, however, state specifically that you cannot make a punch attack with an arm that has a physical weapon other than a retractable blade, however.

So... I'm not sure whether claws count into that or not. That's strange.

Because as far as I understand it, you can punch OR kick, not both, but if you do punch, you can use both arms as long as you've not fired weapons in them that turn.

Does this still stand if you've got Claws for example?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Lieutenant
Re: Punching/Melee weapon question.
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2021, 02:25:40 »
You better ask it on the rules question but...

Quote from: Claws(289.TO)
Game Rules: Claw attacks are resolved per the rules of a standard punching attack(see p. 145, TW), but with an additional +1 to-hit modifier due to the Claw's Bulk. ..

Claws attack is resolved as if it is the punching attack, except for some point.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/tactical-operations/(answered)-to-melee-weapons/msg215229/#msg215229

Also it was already answered that it is possible to attack twice using claws.

If I'd ruled that, first BMM is correct that if you choose to make punch attack then you cannot use the arm with non-retractable blade physical weapon, but if you CHOOSE TO MAKE CLAWS ATTACK then you may follow the same rules with punch and make up to two attacks because the special rules of claws says so.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2021, 02:28:39 by PuppyLikesLaserPointers »

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2021, 19:56:26 »
I get the impression that "Claws/Talons" are less a Melee Weapon unto them selves than they are an "augmentation" to your existing physical attacks.

So Claws/Talons follow the Punch/Kick rules, while everything else follows the Melee Weapon rules.

At least that is how I'm head canon-ing it.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2021, 20:20:39 »
I get the impression that "Claws/Talons" are less a Melee Weapon unto them selves than they are an "augmentation" to your existing physical attacks.

correct

Quote from: TO:AUE p101
Game Rules: Claw attacks are resolved per the rules of a standard punching attack

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Battletech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2021, 00:14:31 »
The Battletech Manual says that Yes, you can punch with one or both arms. It doesn't say anything about being able to attack more than once in a turn if making an attack with physical weapons, however.

Note that Physical Weapons, p. 108, covers standard physical weapon attacks, including the one-per-turn restriction.  The Claws section, also on that page, specifically allows two attacks as an exception.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0