Register Register

Author Topic: Real Talk about Battle Armor  (Read 3140 times)

Challenger

• Warrant Officer
  • Six or Styx
    • My Fanfiction Stories
Re: Real Talk about Battle Armor
« Reply #60 on: 24 September 2022, 07:43:46 »
A Medium laser, a SMG mount, eight points of Advanced armor, and no movement options beyond hitching a ride: I can't tell if it's great or tolerable …

I'd go with great, but then they fit very nicely with my preferred style of 'heavy' infantry.

I'd think of them as mini Kanazuchi, hard to remove, good solid firepower but in desperate need of an APC.

Challenger

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #61 on: 24 September 2022, 12:26:24 »
I'm pretty sure that you multiply the number of weapons of a given type on a BA suit by the number of suits in the squad when you attack.  So a four-trooper squad of BA that's each packing an SRM 5 would roll on the 20 table.
Hmm, If that is the case, I honestly forget, then that makes Missiles quite a bit more accurate than Direct Fire on BA.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #62 on: 24 September 2022, 12:32:00 »
Well, when you have suits that pack multiple of the same gun, like the Marauder or Ironhold, they get to do the same thing: a Marauder squad rolls on the 8 cluster table for their support PPCs while the Ironhold AP Gauss variant rolls on the 20 table.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 24 September 2022, 16:33:20 »
I'm not sure what the official rule is with multiple identical weapons... I'm fairly sure MM rolls each weapon (i.e. 2 MGs on each BA means 2 attacks on (# of BA) cluster table. But that might be an error in MM.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #64 on: 24 September 2022, 22:37:00 »
Well, when you have suits that pack multiple of the same gun, like the Marauder or Ironhold, they get to do the same thing: a Marauder squad rolls on the 8 cluster table for their support PPCs while the Ironhold AP Gauss variant rolls on the 20 table.

To be honest, that might be a player cheat . . . the bell curve on a 20 chart is different than a 5 IIRC.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #65 on: 24 September 2022, 23:00:28 »
Dug out my copy of Total Warfare (Corrected 8th Printing).  Yeah, looks like you're correct for non-missile weapons: you make one attack for each such weapon mounted on an individual suit, then roll on the cluster table based on the number of troopers in the squad.  So a Marauder squad could make two Support PPC attacks, each rolling on the 4 cluster table.  For missiles only, you multiply the number of tubes per suit by the number of suits and roll on that cluster table.  I really need to get my gaming group to play with more infantry and BA so I can get these rules down better.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #66 on: 25 September 2022, 15:56:28 »
Still might not be exactly right . . . FREX, the Clan Med BA with 2 OS-SRM2 . . . you would roll the 2 missile attacks, if fired the same turn, separately.  A Clan Elemental points?  Yeah, you treat that like a SRM10 . . . which has gotten me a funny look when I told someone a Grenadier squad was a slightly mobile SRM16 turret.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #67 on: 25 September 2022, 16:34:02 »
I love the Golem (Support) point as an SRM 30 turret.  Two of them gives you the firepower of an SRM carrier but with about four times the durability.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #68 on: 28 September 2022, 19:24:46 »
Dug out my copy of Total Warfare (Corrected 8th Printing).  Yeah, looks like you're correct for non-missile weapons: you make one attack for each such weapon mounted on an individual suit, then roll on the cluster table based on the number of troopers in the squad.  So a Marauder squad could make two Support PPC attacks, each rolling on the 4 cluster table.  For missiles only, you multiply the number of tubes per suit by the number of suits and roll on that cluster table.  I really need to get my gaming group to play with more infantry and BA so I can get these rules down better.

Yeah, which means BA Missiles are quite a bit more accurate in comparison to BA Direct Fire v/s those same options w/ Mechs.

Your not getting the BA Trooper roll to pull some missile launchers off line as "misses" the way say 5 ML would roll cluster even on a HIT and still land 3/5 on average.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Register