Register Register

Author Topic: Slow light.  (Read 1510 times)

Charistoph

• Captain
Re: Slow light.
« Reply #30 on: 04 November 2022, 10:08:59 »
Agreed. It depends on the Era, but using a light 'Mech that is slower than 6/9/0 or 5/8/5 better have a subtable role for its lack of defenses. Without either speed or armor to protect it, light 'Mechs crumple fast. I love Commandos (and have since the 80s), but even their 6/9/0 speed might not be enough to save them at times.

Related but offtopic: Slow mediums also annoy me as much. I love Hatchetmans, but their slow speed for a melee 'Mech made no sense (I always customize mine to at least 5/8/X, usually 5/8/5.)

But that's only focusing on a unit by itself.  If you have other units in what you are fielding that are more vulnerable or more dangerous, it takes attention away from them, and allows them to be supportive fire to the rest.

A Panther at Long Range is just as easy to hit as a Spider at Short Range, while the Panther can sit still in a sniper's nest while the Spider MUST get in close, and preferring to Jump while doing so.

Alternatively, a Warhammer can't Jump allowing the Panther to sit back a bit farther allowing the Warhammer to take the lion's share of attention.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 04 November 2022, 11:53:11 »
Agreed. It depends on the Era, but using a light 'Mech that is slower than 6/9/0 or 5/8/5 better have a subtable role for its lack of defenses. Without either speed or armor to protect it, light 'Mechs crumple fast. I love Commandos (and have since the 80s), but even their 6/9/0 speed might not be enough to save them at times.

Related but offtopic: Slow mediums also annoy me as much. I love Hatchetmans, but their slow speed for a melee 'Mech made no sense (I always customize mine to at least 5/8/X, usually 5/8/5.)

Light mechs crumple fast anyways, the only real redeeming aspect of them is the fact that they are well... light. So you can afford to field more of them then heavier units for the same tonnage / BV / Cost. Their ability to be speedy is nice, but when you consider a 6/9 movement profile a Phoenix Hawk, Vulcan or Hermes II is going to do the job much more efficiently and survive better. In addition these mechs have better firepower. If you need faster Scouts, mechs like the Assassin are going to do better than any of the bugs or quicker intro tech "scout lights". By the time you get to later eras there is such a plethora of very fast survivable mediums that deliberately using lights instead of mediums is idiotic for any reason other than some sort of cost / weight reason. So really lights excel at nothing other than their relative cost / weight. This doesn't make them useless though, it just means you have to implement them more carefully.

But that's only focusing on a unit by itself.  If you have other units in what you are fielding that are more vulnerable or more dangerous, it takes attention away from them, and allows them to be supportive fire to the rest.

A Panther at Long Range is just as easy to hit as a Spider at Short Range, while the Panther can sit still in a sniper's nest while the Spider MUST get in close, and preferring to Jump while doing so.

Alternatively, a Warhammer can't Jump allowing the Panther to sit back a bit farther allowing the Warhammer to take the lion's share of attention.

This is true, but like you said everyone is going to shoot that spider when it gets in close for fear of being backstabbed. But the Panther over there behind a few hexes of trees at 16 hexes standing next to a Warhammer and a Catapult isn't going to get much attention at all. Yet you can afford two panthers providing the same firepower for the same tonnage, less Cbills and touch more BV than the cost of a single Warhammer. This is what makes slow lights appealing.
For The Archon!

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 04 November 2022, 14:05:35 »
Light mechs crumple fast anyways, the only real redeeming aspect of them is the fact that they are well... light. So you can afford to field more of them then heavier units for the same tonnage / BV / Cost. Their ability to be speedy is nice, but when you consider a 6/9 movement profile a Phoenix Hawk, Vulcan or Hermes II is going to do the job much more efficiently and survive better. In addition these mechs have better firepower. If you need faster Scouts, mechs like the Assassin are going to do better than any of the bugs or quicker intro tech "scout lights". By the time you get to later eras there is such a plethora of very fast survivable mediums that deliberately using lights instead of mediums is idiotic for any reason other than some sort of cost / weight reason. So really lights excel at nothing other than their relative cost / weight. This doesn't make them useless though, it just means you have to implement them more carefully.

To be fair, though, I haven't seen a Medium match the Fireball XF's speed.  Of course, in most cases, it has no firepower to do anything, but I have found it useful for certain scenarios when one can cross a map in one turn with just it's MASC or Supercharger, and also run around and be back in the same spot with a +6 TMM.

Still, that is an outlier.  In most cases, one is often better off with a Hovercraft or VTOL to do the same job that one calls a Light in to play for.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #33 on: 04 November 2022, 18:34:25 »
Light hovers and VTOLs are generally cheaper than light 'mechs, but sometimes require more crew and are generally less durable.  Exceptions exist (of course)...  8)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #34 on: 04 November 2022, 19:08:33 »
VTOLs and Hovers also have some extra restrictions regarding terrain.  And atmosphere.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #35 on: 04 November 2022, 19:14:41 »
Certainly... that's why 'mech cost more...  8)

Register