Register Register

Author Topic: Speed Demon SPA  (Read 1713 times)

Hammerhead

• Recruit
  • "ZEUS - Lyran Recon since 2787."
Speed Demon SPA
« on: 17 April 2021, 19:41:36 »
Am I reading this right? If combined with the sprinting rule, a 4/6 Mech can move 10 hexes with the sprinting bonus for enemies to hit and if the unit does nothing else?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Speed Demon SPA
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2021, 22:33:00 »
Not missing anything, per se, but the inability to make attacks while Sprinting makes it less useful than it looks.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Hammerhead

• Recruit
  • "ZEUS - Lyran Recon since 2787."
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2021, 02:24:34 »
Not missing anything, per se, but the inability to make attacks while Sprinting makes it less useful than it looks.

But it lets the Hunchback I rolled as my mech in a current campaign close the distance way faster than I’m used to.  Thanks!

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2021, 03:11:07 »
And your C3 and ECM are still works.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2021, 01:32:17 »
Which would make a 5/8 or even 6/9 heavy spotter pretty mean- especially if you used some of that movement to end in heavy woods.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2021, 23:06:50 »
What ERA denotes effectiveness.  C3 and ECM really does not matter early Rupublic onwards . So the unit runs into a C3 company  formation  ECM and or ECCM to Opposition force has Angel running both or you just get into True Short range of up to 3 TAG units in which if successful  guarantees  enough dedicated firepower to eliminate the unit . Better to have Supercharger and/ or  MASC that way you do get offensive  moves afterwards .

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2021, 00:06:57 »
In English?

If you are playing advanced enough rules, you can have enough ECCM to protect your C3 nets.

The question was basically could a big gun with that skill get into range sooner than it would normally and actually be able to contribute . . . the answer was yes.
Colt Ward

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2021, 02:48:00 »
Yeah, if you expect ECCM, then the first person to consider it(as well as consider enemy ECM) is the person with C3 network.

theagent

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2021, 09:50:16 »
But it lets the Hunchback I rolled as my mech in a current campaign close the distance way faster than I’m used to.  Thanks!

It also lets someone that is getting hammered in a toe-to-toe matchup potentially be able to disengage & get into enough cover (either behind Lvl 2+ terrain or deep into Heavy Woods) that their opponent can't target them for a round.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2021, 14:24:16 »
The problem there is you was at least 2 MP on facing changes . . . and then expose your back to shots.
Colt Ward

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 15 June 2021, 22:48:12 »
 Scotty is righr it is better to get extra speed using MASC and or Superchargers than sprinting as those systems permit you to shoot at the enemy after the movement phase. 

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 16 June 2021, 18:13:26 »
Only if you gave the tonnage to spare, of course.  XP are usually easier to come by...  ^-^