Register Register

Author Topic: The Best Mechwarriors to Have Ever Lived  (Read 5019 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: The Best Mechwarriors to Have Ever Lived
« Reply #90 on: 23 October 2022, 16:55:18 »
Using it and using it to its most effectiveness are not the same thing.  A pilot with Jumping Jack won't get as much out of a Rifleman as they would a Quickdraw, for example.

Yeah, but they're still going to be just as accurate with the Rifleman's weaponry and just as good at keeping it on its feet as they'd be in the Quickdraw.  It's not like they're going to be a 2/3 in the Quickdraw but drop down to a 4/5 in the Rifleman.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #91 on: 25 October 2022, 13:30:56 »
I seem to remember that one or two adversaries in the original Black Widow scenario book were something like 2/3 pilots (I think one of them was named "Vang"?).  That would put them as better than the Blackwidow.  Those probably deserve mention.

There might be a few of those Carlos Hathcock types around.  That have plenty of kills, but you never heard of them if you didn't specifically go looking into it.

Jake: How come nobody ever heard of you? I mean, a man that can shoot like you do and draw as fast as you can... how come you ain't got a reputation?

Jason McCullough: What would I want with a reputation? That's a good way to get yourself killed.

That might just be the desire of a few of those line holding mechwarriors.  Guys that drove their families old trenchbucket through the 3rd SW, always managed to give better than they got, but want no part of being renown.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2022, 13:59:35 by CrossfirePilot »

Church14

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #92 on: 25 October 2022, 13:38:18 »
Just my 0.02 Dbill but here is my list:

The Gods of War:
1. Natasha Kersensky
2. Kia Allard-Laio
3. Justin Allard
4. Morgan Kell
5. Yorginta Kurita -- As much as it pains me to say.

Elite but had something else to do
1. Hanse Davion.
2. Patrick Kell
3. Jamie Wolf
4. Hiro Kurita
5. Victor Stiener-Davion
6. Morgan Hasek-Davion
7. Adran Sortek
8. Paul Masters

Good But Lucky
1. Andrew Redburn
2. Grayson Death Carlyle
3. Phelan Kell
4. Daniel Allard
5. Glen Cox
6. Vlad Ward

hope you like these lists

I feel like there’s room for Alaric Ward, Anastasia Kerensky, Malvina Hazen, and a few of the Knights of the Republic.

Would Tara Campbell be up here too?

Church14

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #93 on: 25 October 2022, 13:42:05 »
Interesting that this list (which more-or-less matches who people are mentioning in this thread and other previous threads like it) consists only of characters from, what, twenty years ago?

Maybe market penetration and just familiarity? The people who like ilClan era have spent a lot longer looking at the legendary 4SW and Invasion era pilots in novels than any of the new.

tassa_kay

• Captain
  • Blood cries for blood.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #94 on: 25 October 2022, 13:46:18 »
I feel like there’s room for Alaric Ward, Anastasia Kerensky, Malvina Hazen, and a few of the Knights of the Republic.

Aleksandr Hazen, too; Malvina and he were pretty evenly matched.
My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah, 29th Blood Drinkers Cluster (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses)

Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Escorpion Imperio • Rasalhague Dominion • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Ki-linn Liao • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • The Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • The Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: 25 October 2022, 18:22:53 »
Yeah, but they're still going to be just as accurate with the Rifleman's weaponry and just as good at keeping it on its feet as they'd be in the Quickdraw.  It's not like they're going to be a 2/3 in the Quickdraw but drop down to a 4/5 in the Rifleman.

Yet, if the reason they are so dangerous isn't as much with their P/G skills, but their SPAs, yeah, it will make a difference.  A pilot with Jumping Jack and Sandblaster won't get as much out a Rifleman as they would with a Quickdraw, just as an AC Master won't do well in a Quickdraw.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #96 on: 25 October 2022, 19:15:14 »
Someone who's got only average piloting and gunnery scores but decent abilities isn't exactly a contender for "best mechwarrior."

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #97 on: 25 October 2022, 20:28:36 »
Someone who's got only average piloting and gunnery scores but decent abilities isn't exactly a contender for "best mechwarrior."

But if everyone being compared is using Elite stats, their other abilities will tell depending on what 'Mech they are using.  Again, a Missile Sandblaster isn't going to get as much out of a Rifleman.  If they have Jumping Jack, too, a Catapult would be a better option.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 25 October 2022, 21:17:50 »
An meanwhile, the very best mechwarriors probably have more special abilities that are broadly focused and don't require them to be in a single, super-optimized mech.