Register Register

Author Topic: Vehicle Lance Composition Numbers  (Read 894 times)

Alzer

• Sergeant
Vehicle Lance Composition Numbers
« on: 25 July 2021, 16:47:06 »
Hi folks,

So I've been poking into what sort of Combat Vehicles I want to pick up, and I was wondering, what sort of setup do folks use for their vehicle lances?  I'm of the impression that vehicles are always at least paired, but do folks like to use vehicle lances of all one model of tank/VTOL or is mixing more common?  When collecting do you just get one or two of a vehicle or do you get an entire lance worth?  Does it depend based on the vehicle or vehicle type as well?
20th Avalon Hussars
Marion Highlanders

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
Re: Vehicle Lance Composition Numbers
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2021, 16:57:56 »
For me its a balance of flavor and how big I want the game to be. A lot of IWM vehicles come in packs of two, so that tends to make things a little easier, but I don't generally bother with things like Clan vehicle points that are two vehicles with 10 vehicles to a Star, for example. I do like to mix and match though so I'll generally have 2 pairs of different units and, if I'm playing Clan, a single support or "command" vehicle. In the end, its up to you and what you think is cool and how close to the lore you want to play it.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2021, 19:03:35 »
I tend to purchase and deploy tanks at the platoon (lance) level -- four of a kind.  Now I'm not above mixing variants within a platoon, but I do like to keep the platoon itself chassis-pure.

For example, my favorite big boy is the Ontos.  In SW-era gameplay, I'll run three of the standard medium laser-vomit tanks with overwatch provided by an LRM variant.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Alzer

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2021, 19:19:57 »
Oh, slick, I hadn't thought of variants of the same vehicle within a lance like that. Most of them habe enough variations to form a decently flexible unit that way.
20th Avalon Hussars
Marion Highlanders

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2021, 20:30:40 »
Depends on the size of the game. I’m if only doing a few I’ll have much more variety

Here’s my 3025 find it on any planet conventional regiment I’m slowly painting

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/non-canon-units/1st-anyplanet-force/

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2021, 00:49:33 »
Platoons don't have to be pure, but, it isn't a bad thing if they are.

The mini's often come in 2's so its pretty convenient to pick up 2 "similar" vehicles & run 2 pairs that support each other.

My own mini's collection lead me to often pair Maxims/Drillsons together.
Ditto pairs of LRM Carriers, Ontos, &/or Alacorns for my heavy fire support platoons.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2021, 02:01:48 »
FWIW the Battle Lance from AS/CO requires that vees be deployed in matched pairs and I feel like that's the most common type. I tend to keep vees together two to a hex anyway so this supports my playstyle

I tend to go homogenous platoons beyond the company level because of laziness more than anything else

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2021, 02:23:28 »
I usually do full platoons of one base chassis, but will mix variants.  So for example, three Von Luckner VLNK-100s, and one 65N. Another good use is three standard Sturmfeurs plus one SRM variant as bodyguard.

For Alpha Strike, vehicles have to come in pairs, which I interpret as applyin gto the chassis, not the variant.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2021, 18:52:25 »
My Glenmora Planetary Militia (linked in my sig block) bases most of their force on Goblins of various types mixed into lances (some customs, I admit).

Alzer

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2021, 23:19:13 »
The examples are definitely helpful, thanks!

I feel like with Vehicles, notably more than with mechs, keeping the same speed profile is very important, so same chasis within a Platoon using mixed variants is sensible.  I think for company organizations I'll do mostly homologous platoons, but in games I'll probably stick to pairs just for more variety 
20th Avalon Hussars
Marion Highlanders

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #10 on: 27 July 2021, 00:43:56 »
Hole-Punching/Critting Pairs
Saladin and Harasser (or Pegasus SRM, Drillson SRM, etc.)
Hetzer and Hetzer SRM
Shreck and Pike
Demolisher and SRM Carrier

Fire Support and Bodyguard
Ontos LRM x3 (or Partisan LRM x3) and Ontos x1 (or Rommel x1 or Von Luckner x1)
Hetzer LRM x3 and Hetzer x1

Also think of spotters (Ferret, Savannah Master, Skulker, etc.) for calling in massed indirect LRM or artillery fire
« Last Edit: 28 July 2021, 00:59:25 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 27 July 2021, 01:25:23 »
Tend to be in pairs, or at least matching movement rates for the entire lance.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #12 on: 27 July 2021, 01:33:42 »
I usually prefer a maneuver element. Two lances of 4/6 tracked tanks plus a hover lance of 8/12, for example. Though generally you don't want a lance moving slower than the other two.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #13 on: 27 July 2021, 02:55:08 »
Okay, I'm weird, and build combined-arms battalions in mini form. I like to match the infantry company to the 'Mech company, either support or complementary.

Support - got a company of heavy/assault 'Mechs for MacIntyre House Guards. Their vees are LRM carriers, Behemoths, and Pegasi for token scouting.
COmplement: 13th Marik Militia has lances of heavy, medium, and light 'Mechs. Support from Condors, Bulldogs, and Partisans.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #14 on: 27 July 2021, 16:46:42 »
Okay, I'm weird, and build combined-arms battalions in mini form. I like to match the infantry company to the 'Mech company, either support or complementary.

Your combined-arms battalions are pretty damn awesome.
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #15 on: 27 July 2021, 19:42:11 »
Combined arms FTW!  :thumbsup:

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #16 on: 29 July 2021, 22:08:01 »
I tend to purchase and deploy tanks at the platoon (lance) level -- four of a kind.  Now I'm not above mixing variants within a platoon, but I do like to keep the platoon itself chassis-pure.

For example, my favorite big boy is the Ontos.  In SW-era gameplay, I'll run three of the standard medium laser-vomit tanks with overwatch provided by an LRM variant.

I tend to do the opposite myself. ( In the newer variants, 3 MML and a single LGR. )

But I have been known to run triple Partisan LRM and a single Demolisher in support. ( And even, two Goblin, an LRM Goblin and two Bulldog for my 25th Marik Militia. )

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Alzer

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 30 July 2021, 16:10:34 »
This has definitely made me excited for combined arms, yeah.  I think I'll go with primarily paired vehicles as I build up and can fill out to full lances of particular ones that warrant it more (particularly trooper tanks and some VTOLs). 
20th Avalon Hussars
Marion Highlanders

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
« Reply #18 on: 01 August 2021, 17:21:36 »
I tend to do the opposite myself. ( In the newer variants, 3 MML and a single LGR. )

But I have been known to run triple Partisan LRM and a single Demolisher in support. ( And even, two Goblin, an LRM Goblin and two Bulldog for my 25th Marik Militia. )

TT

Well it depends on the platoons role.  If I want a sniper platoon, I'll take three LGR Ontos and one 3055 model to provide close protection for example.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Register