Register Register

Author Topic: What Does Typical Play Look Like  (Read 594 times)

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
What Does Typical Play Look Like
« on: 08 December 2022, 12:30:23 »
I'm interested to see how other groups approach the game, tactically. As a whole, we're all over the place right now. Some players are fielding mixed units (BA, vehicles, mechs) while others are just relying on one jacked up, stompy assault and a light to cover their back.

AlphaMirage

• Captain
Re: What Does Typical Play Look Like
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2022, 12:59:57 »
I normally choose a more mobile unit, mostly mediums with jump jets and heavy cavalry units. Often these are supported by armor, typically a Manticore or something similar, when available. These serve as a rear guard for the forward wedge of cavalry mechs while providing fire support for the mediums holding the flanks.

If we need to fall back the wedge inverts with the heavy cavalry mechs flanking the tanks and damaged mediums providing rear support, if capable.

In the event of a breakthrough I will push the tanks in closer to allow the heavy cavalry breathing room to slip between the gaps and envelop the enemy force while forcing the enemy to react to a closer range firing line. Any enemy that gets past my mechs has to deal with the full force of the tank unit for their audacity.

If I'm playing Clan I typically try to find restrictive terrain to deploy my Battle Armor, who are often Salamanders or Fire Elementals. Their goal is to slow down and finish off enemy mechs that thought they were safe in the woods or behind buildings. Starting a wildfire or launching a volley of Infernos and getting a Clan mech to shut down is hilarious. Additionally sometimes you get lucky and some (mostly missile) ammo explodes crippling the enemy for an easy kill later. Clan mechs spend a lot of BV on their gunnery and XL engines so they should always be moving for maximum effect.

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2022, 14:01:53 »
I'm getting back in after a long hiatus. I'm painting up flavorful 3025 lances at 4k BV, and  cbined arms forces for later eras at 6k BV.

I tend to run hard hitting fast mediums supported by battle armor, tanks or artillery.

The movement phase is by far the least random so I aim to dominate there.
"Checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2022, 14:06:34 »
I'll play BA if I'm running Clans; fast omni mechs and Elementals are fun. I've avoided IS BA as I haven't quite figured how I want to move them across the map. I've been shuffling the Elementals across the map quickly (Dashers are awesome) to create distractions while I work the rest of my force into play.

AlphaMirage

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2022, 14:19:08 »
I've avoided IS BA as I haven't quite figured how I want to move them across the map.

Helicopters, always helicopters.

The AFFS LCT forces were right to include Air Assault Armored Infantry. Back those units up with hover-tanks and gunships to rapidly capture and hold terrain until heavier armor or mechs arrive then do it all again.

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2022, 17:34:34 »
Honestly, it depends on the objectives, allowed units, and what models I have that can pull it off.

I will use what I need to fulfill the objectives or sometimes just bring a wacky list.  Last time, even though everyone was going to be 2/3 Pilots, I brought 10 Protomechs, and besides the Flamberge, the heaviest unit I brought was an Ice Ferret.

Most of the time I do try to look at a Lance balanced across all weight classes and build according to that.  I also usually bring a second list or two with that always being the goal just in case there's someone new, visiting, or just didn't bring their own.

This is our usual objective list as well, which kind of guides the choices, along with a 90 minute game time:
VC:
      1) Units Destroyed: Total BV of opposing units destroyed.
      2) Control of the Battlefield: Total BV of friendly units not in withdrawal plus half value of withdrawing opposing units not in their controller's DZ or withdrawn.
      3) Control of Deployment Zone (DZ): 1 point per friendly unit that starts and ends a turn in the opposing DZ.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2022, 18:00:35 »
It depends on the objective, environment, and current mood, but I usually like to have a few jump-capable medium 'Mechs skirmishing, heavy/assault 'Mechs or tanks anchoring and sniping, and at least a flight of fighters doing strikes and bombings. If I'm playing Clans or Society, I'll often swap the vehicles for ProtoMechs and use those to skirmish or harass and use an assault 'Mech to anchor.

Really, for me, the purpose of 'Mechs is to climb mountains, snipe from partial cover, and use jump jets. Everything else can be done better by other unit types, and outside of low-BV matches such specialized units can complement each other and cover any individual weaknesses.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2022, 20:52:32 »
Era can be important to these discussions .  Most of my player groups prefer 3025 era play. 
( Less rules ,less units , and most consider the game balance more equal )
Occasional games are played in the Clan Invasion era but almost never far past it .

Sometimes we play just mech battles but most of the time it's combined arms .
Some players don't use  infantry while some of us play a few .
Occasional VTOLs . Some groups prefer that you ask first though .
Most include them as regular ground units.

Occasional artillery-but on board only .

Pretty much all still treat anything Aerospace as if it's still a separate game and playing it in a
game without advanced knowledge for everyone is a good way to never be invited back .

Our games aren't always stand up fights .
We've found games involving objectives to add variety .
If objectives are involved players tend to use more cheap light units
along with infantry delivery vehicles .
Elite pilots in assault mechs can anchor a line but they won't make it to an objective in time !

DevianID

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2022, 23:54:19 »
In person, besides narrative games the 1v1 battletech i play is the BTCC format or MRC format.  BTCC is 3-6 Units, 6.5k bv, free 3/4 skill.  So its about 8500bv.  All objective missions.  The MRC is 9k bv, still 6 unit max, and objective missions but less objective focused.  The 2 formats are pretty similiar... MRC has any era for play, BTCC has a much tighter list of allowed units--i think btcc is a better competitive format cause its so tuned but people want to play ilclan tech which means MRC.

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2022, 09:18:18 »
In person, besides narrative games the 1v1 battletech i play is the BTCC format or MRC format.  BTCC is 3-6 Units, 6.5k bv, free 3/4 skill.  So its about 8500bv.  All objective missions.  The MRC is 9k bv, still 6 unit max, and objective missions but less objective focused.  The 2 formats are pretty similiar... MRC has any era for play, BTCC has a much tighter list of allowed units--i think btcc is a better competitive format cause its so tuned but people want to play ilclan tech which means MRC.
last I knew, MRC capped tech at Jihad era. Glad to hear it moved up to IlClan.
"Checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2022, 09:27:18 »
Play testing units and lances in case we can get a campaign off the ground .

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 09 December 2022, 10:46:37 »
What are the rules for infantry/BA spotting for indirect fire? They don't have a movement modifier, correct?

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 09 December 2022, 10:47:18 »
What are the rules for infantry/BA spotting for indirect fire? They don't have a movement modifier, correct?
Correcet.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 09 December 2022, 11:02:10 »
So, I can jump BA around, make them harder than hell to hit AND avoid a movement modifier for indirect fire?

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 09 December 2022, 11:49:30 »
So, I can jump BA around, make them harder than hell to hit AND avoid a movement modifier for indirect fire?
Correct. This is a big part of why infantry make excellent spotters.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 09 December 2022, 11:55:08 »
 >:D >:D >:D

Oh boy... I'm gonna have some fun this weekend!! A couple of Dashers loaded with Elementals and a pair of Timberwolves with LRM 20s... People are gonna die in the shade!!

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 09 December 2022, 12:59:06 »
For the most part we play 3025 era games and try to keep them fairly short (anywhere from 2-6 hours). So from this end we play with anywhere from 2-4 mechs each with a larger game typically consisting of a full weight lance and then a "scout lance" consisting of 2 mechs. Usually 3-5 players. Sometimes we split up in teams and do more of an objective based strategy but its mostly just a deathmatch. Other times we will play a free for all type match which gets really interesting. More mechs = more mapsheets. So a 4 player (2 vs 2) game with two mechs each would take place on 4 mapsheets and larger games are usually played on 6 mapsheets. The bigger fields allow for more movement and positioning. Which is a lot of fun in lance on lance fights, especially when scouts are involved.

Forces are usually mech only although we will play with vehicles from time to time. Instead of looking heavily at BV usually its something like okay each player gets to choose 1 heavy and 1 medium each. Or if its a lance then we'll set anywhere from a 200 to a 240 ton cap for 4 mechs. If we are playing a BV game its usually at the lance level where players can run their custom lances and then BV is usually capped out at ~4500. We have found this lets you run a good mix of units and the typical 4k really min / maxes your forces.

From that standpoint I usually field a ranged heavy or low end 4/6 assault as the bruiser / tank of the unit. Orion, Warhammer, Marauder, Zeus, Battlemaster, etc. Then round the lance out with a 4G Hunchback (makes games shorter  ;) ) a cheap scout / backstabber mech (like a Locust) and finish off the lance with a solid LRM fire support mech. This is the mech that gets downgraded or upgraded to meet the game requirements. If I have to stay at 4K BV or a 200 ton game I'll run a Whitworth or Trebuchet respectively, but if I can bring the lance up to 4500BV or a 220 ton cap then It will be a Catapult or heavier fire support unit that can chuck out more LRMs.  We'll play a host of weights and other things but a typical game I usually run something along these lines.

Playstyle is simple, Heavy mech (Like my Orion) holds the line and dishes out firepower while soaking up damage. Between the longer ranged weapons and the Missile boats LRMs, this provides good cover while my Hunchback 4G gets in close with the AC/20 and picks off units that got caught in a crappy location due to initiative rolls. My scout either spots for indirect fire,  gets a good position for a backstab against a slower unit, or runs interference as a screening unit for enemy fast movers that try to get in behind my guys.

For The Archon!

Shin Ji

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 18 December 2022, 10:13:16 »
I've pretty much always played games where everyone gets one mech, and it's last mech standing. Mechs are often randomly doled out. Winning these games is mainly about staying out of the fights for as long as possible while everyone else whittles each other down. Honestly, I'd love to get a more tactical game going, but with 5 or 6 players at the table, that's kind of the limit if you want to do anything else that night.

When I'm running the game with kids, I usually give them each one mech and let them fight a few of my weaker ones. It seems to grab their attention, as they get very possessive of their particular mech types, and they love crunching up Hunchies with MadCats, or jumped up Zeuses. You can almost finish a game in an hour if you have everything set up beforehand.

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 19 December 2022, 10:14:17 »
I've started playing more with MASC/Supercharger units and tinkering with the high TMM that comes with them. Start up MASC or the Supercharger, run into cover, pop off everything and bounce out. Yesterday, I played with three of these units and had fun ganging up on the heavies and assaults on the table.

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 19 December 2022, 11:03:56 »
Wrong Thread
« Last Edit: 19 December 2022, 12:33:29 by OatsAndHall »