Register Register

Author Topic: XL Engine … And BAR 6  (Read 611 times)

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
XL Engine … And BAR 6
« on: 13 May 2021, 23:28:24 »
Any examples of support units with an ubertech engine, in the name of ground speed?  :-\
Goose
The Egyptian God of FrustrationSurprisingly Enlightening©Not Write: Post Good!
"I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught."
- Winston ChurchillThus Yorinaga Kurita threw his daishō out of the cockpit of his Warhammer in disgust …

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
Re: XL Engine … And BAR 6
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2021, 00:22:01 »
I don't think that there's any canon examples of that.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2021, 09:53:10 »
XTRO: Caveat Emptor has a Crosscut you may want to look at. Can't recall off the top of my head if it has BAR6 armor though.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2021, 23:07:12 »
For combat vehicles to get more speed most sane appropriation committees put in a fuel cell engine and call it a day. Gives as much motive power as the same rating light fusion engine but costs about  per ton 2/3 the price of a standard fusion engine of the same rating. The Republic ERA you get alot of XL engines put into combat vehicles because so many mechs after the Jihad get Demobbed  and scrapped and salvaged.  Alot of XL engines found their way into tanks already listed as part of a militia.  But then those XL engines have already been paid for

Manufacturers sold combat vehicles with XL and with the Manticore II an XXL engine by the Dark Age ERA . That is fine in low combat tempo relative peace conditions.  They work great in the first battle or two when the times change ans it is subjected to high tempo war time conditions.  At that point your Joe Q Average planetary militia can't  replace the  loses easily with yearly  budgets of 60-120 million.  As a Manticore II costs about half to all that and to a lesser extent a lance od XL outfitted vehicles would similarly be difficult to replace quickly. 

So tactically nice strategically not sustainable.

Register