Register Register

Author Topic: Your most effective lance  (Read 663 times)

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
Your most effective lance
« on: 28 September 2022, 19:55:23 »
My players have decided to return to a long running campaign, retiring some characters and breaking the unit down to a much smaller/manageable sized unit (for the five of us, so it will be roughly a combined arms battalion)

Anyway, from the previous campaign, one of the most particular effective 'mech lance was a pair of Warhammer 7A's and Thunderbolt 5Sb's.

As the unit is re-organizing, we thought it might be interesting to get some idea's from the hive mind for what you have found to be an effective lance?

We're looking for Inner Sphere / Merc / 3067 time frame.

Combat, Assault, Fire-Support, Recon or Strike lances are all fair game to throw out.

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
Re: Your most effective lance
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2022, 09:49:34 »
Lots of different flavors here. With IS, I tend to look at the Clanbusters first as they're tough IS designs. Here's a reasonably balanced lance

KGC-001: Good mech that you can use in a variety of ways. Stand-off and snipe, or use as the main body of your lance.
Marauder 5CS: Great mech for the price. And another one that's flexible.
Shadow Hawk 2HT: Bring him in and turn those Streak SRMs loose. His movement profile allows him to do a lot.
Phoenix Hawk 3PL: Kind of a darkhorse here as he needs to hug to be effective. But, he can't be ignored as he can jump around, shoot and not miss often.

This is a lance I've fielded a few times. Typically, I stand off with the Marauder and snipe, close with the King Crab and flank with the other two.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2022, 10:08:57 »
Phoenix Hawk 7K
Owens
Locust 5M
Locust 5M
IS Std BA (LRR)
Fa Shih (LRR?  PPC?)

The Locust 5Ms are a excellent backstabber and will cover a lot of territory in recon sweeps.
The Owens lets you reconfigure your electronics on the fly and transports one of the BA squads easily.
Phoenix Hawk 7K for the lance commander, mobility of the IJJ and the range of the long short range of the Snub PPC makes it the 'enforcer' of the lance . . . but depending on how you want to play, the lance CO might be better sitting in the Owens.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2022, 10:13:20 »
Heavy combat lance for my 3066 Chaos March mercs . . .

Black Knight 9
Bandersnatch
Warhammer 7M
and the CO runs a custom Orion 1-K using DHS, ERML, and a LBX instead of the AC . . . table top game, my opponent stripped it of armor w/ 2 pilot hits but it was still running & gunning as the enemy retreated off the map.

The BK & Warhammer use the ERPPC & LL to punch holes while the Bander gets to plink them with LBX cluster.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2022, 09:48:55 »
One thing I almost always run and suggest with IS is a mech with a Gauss rifle. That 15 damage is guaranteed to someone's head off at range with a lucky roll. This has turned the tide of many games I've played. I've run a couple Sentinel-3Lbs a few times just to get cheap, mobile snipers.

Challenger

• Warrant Officer
  • Six or Styx
    • My Fanfiction Stories
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2022, 14:05:20 »
My 'line' combat lance typically looks like the following.

Shadowhawk 5D
Wolverine 8K
Wolverine 8K
Wolverine 8K

Or mechs of those types anyway

Simple, not flashing, but fast and fairly tough with a decent amount of firepower.

Challenger

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2022, 17:02:16 »
I generally like to use Griffins for the punch (GRF-1N) in formation with a designated wimp (Usually an SHD-2H) and a brawler (Wolverine variant).

For post-3050, I still like the GRF-1N, but I get to play with upgrades.

Generally speaking, 5/8/3 to 5/8/5 heavy-side mediums, because I DO use the jump, and nothing really "Optimized" because I don't know what kind of terrain or engagement I'm dropping them into, and when we were playing campaigns a lot, I had to buy/pay for spare parts, and 3025 stuff that's still useful (LRM launchers, PPC's and SRM launchers) is generally easier to support than the higher-tech bits (and it's easier to find a supplier of single heat sinks until around 3058 or so, because nobody wants them.)

but then, I play the "Logistics game"-I'll dump C-bills into better ammo before I buy a better gun, and when I BUY a better gun, I lean toward "has more than one use"
for example, swapping an LBX-10 in for an AC/10 and buying precision ammo for an AC/5 are both things I will do, likewise with Thunder LRM (or smoke) and Infernoes for the SRM racks.

Because they have more USES, or provide a capability I CAN use without busting mister budget.  (in BV scenarios, if I can buy better skill, that's the first thing I spend on, I'll take the hit on potential damage in exchange for hitting more often.)
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2022, 18:21:15 »
I take WVR-6Ms by the case lot every chance I get.  If that gets me better gunnery in the deal, more the better.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2022, 19:59:13 »
I take WVR-6Ms by the case lot every chance I get.  If that gets me better gunnery in the deal, more the better.
I view this as a viable strategy overall .
If the scenario may warrant it I might add a unit that's better at anti-infantry .

Phoenix Hawk or Firestarter Mirage might work depending .

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2022, 20:06:49 »
Inferno ammo exists...  ^-^

Challenger

• Warrant Officer
  • Six or Styx
    • My Fanfiction Stories
« Reply #10 on: 01 October 2022, 04:40:58 »

Very very much with you on this.

I prefer to get an upgraded version if I can (a ER PPC in the arm helps no end in my experience), but the base chassis is very effective in its role.

Though, if I'm going to ignore how hard they are to acquire, the Gladiator is pretty much my perfect 3025 era medium mech and I would love to fill lances with them. If only someone would put them back into production with a 'simple' upgrade, ER PPC, SSRM6 and double heat sinks nothing fancy.  :)

Challenger
« Last Edit: 01 October 2022, 04:46:30 by Challenger »

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2022, 06:42:32 »
Much appreciated with all the replies so far.  :thumbsup:

Please feel free to add more.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 03 October 2022, 13:42:08 »
Would minor customs be allowed in such a list?

And by what I mean is like a Panther with DHS instead of SHS kinda like minor refits?

If so my pre-3050 Lance might work in its upgraded form.

Awesome 9Q, Grasshopper 5N or Reynolds, Panther (with upgrades to a 10K), and usually a second mech of one of the other three (depends on the pickup game). Yeah it’s slower but it’s quite solid and decent in armor plus has a good variety of PPC’s and the heat sinks for them (making it fairly user friendly). Haven’t played it against many fully Clan forces but mixed forces it does well enough. I prefer the 9Q over the 9M but feel free to switch it if you like the ER PPC’s better.

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 03 October 2022, 15:01:54 »

And by what I mean is like a Panther with DHS instead of SHS kinda like minor refits?

Awesome 9Q, Grasshopper 5N or Reynolds, Panther (with upgrades to a 10K), and usually a second mech of one of the other three (depends on the pickup game). Yeah it’s slower but it’s quite solid and decent in armor plus has a good variety of PPC’s and the heat sinks for them (making it fairly user friendly). Haven’t played it against many fully Clan forces but mixed forces it does well enough. I prefer the 9Q over the 9M but feel free to switch it if you like the ER PPC’s better.

Never mind. We'd allow that refit.
« Last Edit: 03 October 2022, 15:14:07 by OatsAndHall »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #14 on: 04 October 2022, 00:07:28 »
My 3025 " FedCom " Company :

Command Lance:
Warhammer-6D
Thunderbolt-5D
Thunderbolt-5SS
Archer-2S

Battle Lance :
Thug-10E
Hunchback-4P
Hunchback-4J
Griffin-1S

Scout Lance :
Chameleon-7V
Javelin-10A
Wasp-1A
Stinger-3G

Yeah, I took my time making this unit before FedCom arrived. Of course it was named Hell's Hussars in the beginning.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 04 October 2022, 07:23:57 »

Sure. Without going into a lot of details, they got the tools and the talent.