Author Topic: Vehicle of the Week: Glaive Medium Tank  (Read 5518 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Vehicle of the Week: Glaive Medium Tank
« on: 12 March 2012, 17:38:51 »
Vehicle of the Week: Glaive Medium Tank

The Glaive Medium Tank is a product of Robert Kelswa-Steiner's attempt to rebuild Skye's defenses after the FedCom Civil War, preferably using locally-built hardware.  The overall electronics are derived from the Drillson, for instance.  Designed and produced in eleven months and using largely Skye-built parts, the first two production runs of Glaives to come out of the Cyclops, Inc., plant on Skye were bought for the Skye Rangers.  As of 3067, Kelswa-Steiner was planning to do the same for the 3068 and 3069 runs, but he was beginning to see calls from the LAAF to open it up for wider deployment.  Exactly how that's going to work out given the Jihad and the fact that he's responsible for starting a war with the Free Worlds League is currently unknown.  It seems likely that at least some Glaives will wind up as part of the Republic Armed Forces and, notably, it appears on the Republic's RAT in Field Manual 2085 as well as the LCAF's.

The Glaive is a wheeled chassis, something that's not going to amuse some of my regular readers, and at 45 tons it's in the middle of the medium size bracket.  A 205-rated Shipil standard fusion engine, derived from fighter power plants, drives the vehicle up to 86 kph in clear terrain.  The ArcShield Heavy armor... isn't.  At only 5.5 tons, you simply don't have all that much armor, and the way it's arranged emphasizes that the nose is what's supposed to be facing the enemy: 27/17/12/15.  The armament is unquestionably designed to act as a skirmisher and sniper, reminding me heavily of the GRM-01B Garm's package with a Cyclops XII Extended-Range Large Laser and two Kicker Machine Guns in the turret, plus a Coventry Superfire LRM 15 mated to an Artemis IV fire control system.  Overall, the mixture reminds me a bit of one of the Hunter variants, but it's faster.

The vehicle's name (which I strongly suspect is referring to a type of polearm in this case, not a fancy French word for swords) is a subtle suggestion on how you should be using it: at arm's length.  Use the speed to keep away from larger foes, peppering them with fire from medium to long range while something more important holds their attention.  In urban areas (not really your forte but inevitable on the defense), use the LRMs to harass someone, while the ERLLs and MGs provide direct fire options.  Whatever you do, keep your nose pointed in the enemy's direction as much as possible and definitely don't show them your tail until you're prepared to book it at long range.

Countering Glaives isn't difficult.  Their firepower isn't great, although it's respectable enough, and the armor is significantly less so.  Get in close, under the LRM range, and pound it down.  Try to get around onto the side or (especially) rear armor, too - this increases your chances of motive hits (which are a bigger risk with wheeled vehicles) and gives you thinner armor to shoot at.  Given the weapons mix, a lot of the medium trooper suits can tangle with a Glaive and come off quite well if they can get in close without getting too torn up by LRM and laser fire.  (Longinus operators, take note - your SRMs are going to make Glaive drivers hate your guts.)

References: The Master Unit List has everything there is to see here, which isn't much - no variants, not a lot of use.  CamoSpecs has a single Glaive in the colors of the 2nd Donegal Guards.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
Re: Vehicle of the Week: Glaive Medium Tank
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2012, 02:31:10 »
Big disappointment as a Skye tank.  They need a Po or a Myrmidon, or even a fuel cell Vedette, and get a wheeled Hunter?  The Artemis is a mistake, IMO; it needs the mass in armour.  It feels like a stopgap design, which is appropriate.  MMLs would be a fantastic addition, as it needs the increased short-ranged firepower.  Hopefully the ROTS gets that one. 

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2012, 07:25:07 »
Thanks for the writeup.

Would you rather buy Glaives or Hunters for your force?

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2012, 18:12:16 »
Y'know, I've been trying to think of a good upgrade for this thing ever since Solaris ArmorWerks came out, and now I've got one in mind. Thanks, Ian.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2012, 23:50:10 »
Thanks for the writeup.

Would you rather buy Glaives or Hunters for your force?

You probably mean Moonsword, but I'd prefer Hunters, for the tracks, if no other reason.  The slower speed is made up for IMO by the ability to enter wood hexes and the lesser chance of motive crits. 

Y'know, I've been trying to think of a good upgrade for this thing ever since Solaris ArmorWerks came out, and now I've got one in mind. Thanks, Ian.

You're welcome.  Upping short-range firepower without a meaningful loss of ranged firepower is almost always a plus, and it could give those battle armour squads something to think about. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2012, 15:28:12 »
Hmm, yeah, not saying its the worst point for them to work from . . . but you really have to wonder about wheeled, SFE & ERLL . . . though they made it up in spades with the Saxon IMO.

So, Skye produced equipment would be the Glaive and Saxon?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

blitzy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2012, 23:23:51 »
Solaris ArmorWerks

Where does that come from?
"..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness."  -Ruri Hoshino

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2012, 01:11:57 »
It's part of SunkWerks

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2012, 09:51:11 »
Hmm, yeah, not saying its the worst point for them to work from . . . but you really have to wonder about wheeled, SFE & ERLL . . .

The SFE doesn't concern me in the slightest in that time period.  The lack of a range minimum on something that's already got to cover the LRMs' and matches their short range (meaning both of your main guns are at no modifiers in the LRM sweet spot) is actually a pretty compelling argument for an ERLL instead of a stock PPC in this situation.

As for the chassis type, this isn't supposed to be a vehicle skulking in the woods or fighting in rubble by design concept.  Wheeled vehicles are more vulnerable to motive hits, yes, but the greater speed offsets that to some degree.  I'm not that bothered by it and it's the only part of those three I'd even raise an eyebrow about.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2012, 10:53:03 »
As for the chassis type, this isn't supposed to be a vehicle skulking in the woods or fighting in rubble by design concept.  Wheeled vehicles are more vulnerable to motive hits, yes, but the greater speed offsets that to some degree.  I'm not that bothered by it and it's the only part of those three I'd even raise an eyebrow about.

Actually...I tend to look at it like this: If you can make it wheeled, you can make it hover.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #10 on: 18 March 2012, 13:23:10 »
Hover has even worse motive criticals. Wheeled is better in urban environment...
« Last Edit: 18 March 2012, 13:26:42 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 18 March 2012, 13:25:53 »
Hover has even worse motive criticals...
But they actually have enough speed to matter. It would cost the Glaive half a ton of armor, but it would get the speed up to 9/14!

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 18 March 2012, 13:31:27 »
Drillson and Fulcrum hovertanks are already manufactured on Skye, IIRC.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 18 March 2012, 17:37:17 »
Maybe they wanted a locally produced line tank, as opposed to hover scouts, remember Skye is a hotbed of reballions

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 18 March 2012, 20:04:51 »
Maybe they wanted a locally produced line tank, as opposed to hover scouts, remember Skye is a hotbed of reballions

Then they should have made it tracked...

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #15 on: 19 March 2012, 06:42:07 »
Has anyone actually noticed a difference between the time to immobilisation of a tracked and wheeled tank?

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 19 March 2012, 08:37:22 »
Has anyone actually noticed a difference between the time to immobilisation of a tracked and wheeled tank?

Yes....which is why I don't like wheeled: either go Tracked and go through all terrain, or go hover and faster...Wheeled just...
seems like a waste...

va_wanderer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 19 March 2012, 10:01:34 »
Actually, there's some rather interesting home-grown upgrade options available for the Glaive, if you look at one of the other local producers- Skye Pleasure Craft, Ltd.

Downgrade the ERLL to a standard and you can fit the thing with an extended-range LRM-10 with an extra ton of ammo (27 shots) for a standoff weapon. Or just swap the LRM rack for three SRM-4's and an extra ton of armor for close-combat work instead.

They also domestically produce heavy ferro-fibrous plate. That'd go a long way towards increasing the Glaive's combat endurance.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 19 March 2012, 10:03:22 »
Chalk it up to planetary governors not wanting their roads cracked up by treads, and a third hovertank along the Fulcrum and Drillson would be redundant.  There's always fluffy concerns.  Plus, New Earth and NETC is pretty close, and Myrmidons and other things could presumably supply the Isle's tracks.  So I'm actually starting to like the Glaive a bit more as a capable armoured car.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #19 on: 19 March 2012, 21:48:51 »
Yes....which is why I don't like wheeled: either go Tracked and go through all terrain, or go hover and faster...Wheeled just...
seems like a waste...
Or load up on more firepower. The only real terrain limitation is light woods.