Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: MAL-** Mauler  (Read 26353 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: MAL-** Mauler
« on: 01 June 2012, 09:11:12 »
’Mech of the Week: MAL-** Mauler

The Mauler. One of the most maligned BattleMechs in the game (at least at the gaming tables I’ve been at). In universe, this 90-tonner is not much better liked. My introduction to this design was rather pathetic. It was a Hunter type scenario, and I picked a Berserker (the B model). My “target” was piloting a MAL-1R.

He proceeded to devastate me as I closed. While I did significant damage to him, he defeated me, and then proceeded to nearly eviscerate the last remaining opponent, a nearly untouched Zeus.

The origins of the Mauler reside within a think-tank project in 3036. Project: Daboku was a chaotic mix of ideas that eventually led to the model designated as the DCMS-MX90-D Daboku (or Brawler). Shoved into the hands of LAW based mostly on their work turning the Charger into the Hatamoto series, the resulting design was about what one expects from a rush job: a good idea on paper, not so good in execution.

Conceived as a ranged-combat design on par with the Awesome (even down to a similar silhouette), the problems started with the allocation of only twelve single heat sinks to the design. Two Holly LRM-10 racks, twin large lasers, and four Class-2 autocannons provide the weapons fire. Unfortunately, each weapon seemed to have its own foibles from ammunition feed problems to a heat overload problem for the lasers. A standard engine was used, which seriously inhibited the amount of armor installed. The design mounts the same amount of armor as the GRF-1N Griffin, about 54% of maximum. Allocation allows for a Gauss slug to the side torsos, two larges to the arms, a Class-20 to the legs, and just under four medium pulse lasers to the chest. Rear coverage can take a large to the center rear, and a medium to each side rear.

But the biggest problem (and the design’s claim to fame) is the installation of CASE in the side torsos. Not the installation itself, as much as that LAW’s engineers took the system from another machine (somewhere I read a Crockett) and they didn’t retune the system. As such, a sharp blow to the nether regions of the center torso would cause the pilot to be violently ejected. Even if the auto-eject system were disabled.

Personally, I think I’d rather have that extra ton of armor.

After the catastrophe of the War of 3039 (at least for the Daboku), the design was put on the shelf until late 3046 when Victory Armaments perfected their extended range large lasers. Looking for an easy platform to plug them into, LAW engineers dusted off the Daboku. After a chance talk with an ISF case officer and LAW’s DCMS contact, the Davion codename for the chassis was adopted. Thus the MAL-1R Mauler came to be.

Aside from the large lasers now being extended models, the LRM racks were upgraded to 15-shot versions, with two tons of ammunition tied to each. Two tons of ammunition feed the Class-2’s. One heat sink was removed, but those left were doubled, though this still leaves the design extremely heat sensitive. An extralight engine was used to free up some weight for additional armor, which was now ferro-fibrous and 73% of maximum. This now allows each front location to at least take a Class-20 shot, and rear locations can take a PPC blast. The CASE systems were eventually perfected, though some of the first few models still had that little “crotch shot” problem.

During the rash of C3 upgrades that hit the scene in the late 3050’s, the MAL-C appeared, replacing one ton of Class-2 ammo for a slave unit. The MAL-2R variant also hit the scene around that time. This model downgraded the LRM racks to 10-packs, with a ton of ammo each. The larges were each replaced with twin mediums. The Class-2’s were replaced with Ultra models (which weren’t perfected until about 3059), with the original two tons for all of them. One double was also added for heat dissipation.

Then in the 3060’s, the MAL-3R removes the Class-2’s and large lasers for twin Class-10 LB-X models, a small laser and a C3 Slave. One heat sink was removed, leaving ten. Finally, the armor was raised to maximum, with the center torso having almost double that of the Daboku.

The final variant is the MAL-1K, which is a product of the Jihad (and some would say STS [shiny toy syndrome]). Armor is 80% of maximum, most of which appears to have been applied to the front torsos. Retaining the LRM-15’s, the design uses arm-mounted Snub-Nose PPCs, and Light Class-5 autocannons. Each autocannon has a ton of ammunition tied to it, though the bins are in the arms. The CASE has also been removed.

In the early days of the Jihad, an escaped prisoner somehow managed to get his hands on an experimental Mauler. Designated the MAL-4X, and given the name “Todesbote” (loosely translated as “Death-Dealer”), there is no indication where it came from. Perhaps the WoBbles handed him it. Maybe he got it from a hidden Solaris bunker (close enough to the start of his rampage in the Free Worlds League). The design uses an endo-steel skeleton and the same extralight engine of the MAL-3R. Ten double-strength heat sinks so well enough with the heat output. Weapons consist of a 7-rack MML launcher in each side torso, fed by a single-ton center torso ammunition bin. Each arm mounts a Class-10 hyper-velocity autocannon, with two tons of ammunition stored beneath them. All the ammo bins are protected by CASE II, though frankly that is not much of a consolation. The design also mounts 77% of maximum protection in hardened armor (which does help a bit).

While not technically a variant of the Mauler, Experimental Technical Readout: Kurita introduced us to an off-shoot called the BNZ-X Banzai. Appearing in 3076, this design uses the MAL-1K as a basis. While the document seems to indicate that the MAL-1K had an endo-steel skeleton, the record sheet in 3050 Upgrade Unabridged does not show this. Anyway, the Banzai uses said endo-steel skeleton, upgrades the engine to a 360-rated extralight, and added MASC and a supercharger for obscene speeds for a 90-tonner. The chassis also carries maximum armor protection. Fifteen double heat sinks provide some heat dissipation for the Clantech extended small, twin large and twin medium pulse lasers, as well as the large vibroblade. Perhaps the most interesting part of the design is the booby trap which seems to be placed in the same space the old CASE problems originated from.

Apparently when the prototype participated in the assault on Dieron it did well enough that three more were commissioned. That said, since it appears that when a pilot decides to exit his machine under fire, the triggered trap unleashes an explosion of significant size. As such, I do not expect any of those three to have made it much past the Reclamation of Terra.

Using one depends on which variant you are using. With the Daboku, your best bet might be to pray. Aside from that, my suggestion would be to use them as my friend did his. Stand back and let them come to you. Snipe from range until your opponent is stumbling and then finish him off. For those mounting autocannons, consider using precision ammo (or flak if you are in an anti-air role). Do watch your heat dial. Aside from the MAL-3R, all of them overheat, some to a massive degree.

(Didn’t someone say that the biggest problem with some designs was that the main guns overload the heat sinks and the secondary ones explode?)

If you happen to be piloting a Banzai, you can consider using it like its namesake, and make a charge into the center of the enemy. While it is from the fluff, when you eject, or when you suffer catastrophic engine or cockpit damage, the booby trap explodes. I’m not sure what nine tons of said booby trap does, but apparently on Dieron it took out several Level II’s of Blakists (and a couple lances of friendlies).

Fighting one depends on what you have available. If you have lots of Gauss Rifles, stay at range and outlast him. If you have Berserkers, hope you have the good models (the A and C), then head in until you can carve your name in his hide. With most of the Mauler variants, their armor is lackluster, and their weaponry is considered sub-par. (Come to think of it, perhaps the Mauler is the result of trying to do all three tasks at the same time…) Also most are heat-sensitive, so if you have plasma weapons, let ‘em rip. Against the Banzai, hit him hard and try to keep out of his way (though I wonder what a Golden BB to that booby trap would do).
« Last Edit: 12 March 2015, 15:08:35 by Kotetsu »

vidar

• Warrant Officer
Re: ’Mech of the Week: MAL-** Mauler
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2012, 11:43:24 »
The PPC loveing Dragon went for Davion AC?  My first reaction to this design.
And it has not changed much.  I do not like any of them, heck I have traded them for Panthers when in campaigns.  I just want to see an all up PPC one, just once!

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2012, 11:53:05 »
I like the Mauler.  It's quirky.  Still plenty capable though.  I've found a useful upgrade is to swap the ACs out for RAC2s.  Allows you more weight of fire, and saves much-needed weight for armor and heat sinks.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2012, 19:16:12 »
I'm something of a fan of the Mauler. I've actually gotten good mileage out of them as firesupport platforms, and as flyswatters when people try to abuse VTOLs. The secret is to use the Large Lasers at long range, then when your enemy thinks your in an under gunned waste of a 'mech hit them with a face full of LRMs and AC2s. You also have the fun of being able to use your long range guns while dropping you heat dramatically, (something most PPC based 'mechs can't do) which allows you to run the heat curve more aggressively than most players expect.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Terrion

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2012, 00:44:12 »
The PPC loveing Dragon went for Davion AC?  My first reaction to this design.
And it has not changed much.  I do not like any of them, heck I have traded them for Panthers when in campaigns.  I just want to see an all up PPC one, just once!

I actually see the Maulers as a response to the Davion combined-arms tactics. They may not be great against mechs, but they're brilliant against vehicles (espescially the -3R).

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2012, 00:57:09 »
The Mauler was very competitive under bv1.  Cheap for an assault, easy to get a great pilot and precision rounds for the ACs to make it even more of a nuisance.  Plus it looked cool. 

Mechawyvern

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2012, 08:23:14 »
I've played a Mauler a few times, and always had good luck with it.  Stay way back and lob fire as the enemy closes.  By the time they get close enough to hurt you, they have born torn open, or apart.  The important thing with the Mauler is to keep your distance and don't let up. 

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2012, 16:10:01 »
I've used the MAL-3R a number of times in DCMS C3 companies, it makes a great bodyguard. It does long-range fire support and AA equally well.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2012, 18:07:22 »
Love it. It is not the best mech of the world but it is a fairly interesting one. One of my mechs of choice for C3 units as a long range fire support unit.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2012, 18:40:55 »
You forgot to mention that the MAL-3R has jump-jets.

I kind of like the quirkiness of the Mauler.
However, the MAL-1K is the exception. To me it looks like somebody tried to combine a fire support and a bodyguard mech, and forgot that the bodyguard needs mobility.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2012, 19:47:42 »
I remember getting a toy version of this mech when the tv series came out. I thought the mech looked so cool. Sadly, the design wasn't as good as what I had hoped for once on the tabletop. Also, like others have said, I have found the 3R to be useful.
Made by HikageMaru

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #11 on: 03 June 2012, 10:45:06 »
I remember getting a toy version of this mech when the tv series came out. I thought the mech looked so cool. Sadly, the design wasn't as good as what I had hoped for once on the tabletop. Also, like others have said, I have found the 3R to be useful.

Same here. 

oldfart3025

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 03 June 2012, 19:35:13 »

The old Daboku is basically a pile of crap. Sure it has the advantage of CASE, combined with a standard fusion plant. But this 90 ton machine having the armor of a Shadow Hawk kinda cancels that out. Throw in the poor cooling, and what you have is a giant, walking turd wagon.

We do run it in militias on occasion, but only after ditching a couple of heat sinks for more standard armor, and upgrading the remaining ten to doubles. Still a piece of shit, but somewhat better than before.

The most common Mauler in our group is the old MAL-1R. It's something of a hothead and still under armored for it's weight class (not good, considering the XL reactor). But we still get good results in the fire support role and as a line generalist (as opposed to a heavy assault unit; think overgrown Warhammer or Thunderbolt). The MAL-C is the second most common in our games, being a popular choice for C3 fire lances.

On the occasions that the -2R sees play, it's run as a pure fire support machine. The -3R is popular as a stop-gap tactical air defense platform, though tanks tend to avoid it (naturally, heh,heh).

The loss of CASE in an ammo-heavy, generalist-leaning variant makes the -1K unpopular around here. It's almost never played. Maulers and CASE equipment have literally been soul mates since the beginning. Taking that away equals bad ju-ju if you plan on running a Mauler variant on the line.

As for the Banzai, I like the idea of denying the enemy salvage. And the machine itself is an intimidating close range fighter, with it's giant trench knife/bone saw hybrid and Clantech pulse lasers. It can get out of dodge in a pinch and is well armored for it's role.

My problem with the Banzai is related to what I do like about it (the denying salvage part). It's pretty unconventional to operate a close-quarters 'Mech with a giant bomb tucked away inside of it. In other words, a two-edged sword. The blast has the unfortunate side effect of damaging friendlies. This little problem is why we decided to restrict the Banzai to "special purpose use".

Just my two cents worth.

"That which I cannot crush with words alone, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!"~Lord Solar Macharius

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 03 June 2012, 22:11:30 »
My problem with the Banzai is related to what I do like about it (the denying salvage part). It's pretty unconventional to operate a close-quarters 'Mech with a giant bomb tucked away inside of it. In other words, a two-edged sword. The blast has the unfortunate side effect of damaging friendlies. This little problem is why we decided to restrict the Banzai to "special purpose use".

Just my two cents worth.

Obviously "special purpose use" translates into sending it in alone into a massive enemy formation in a kamikaze attack.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #14 on: 03 June 2012, 22:51:23 »

Obviously "special purpose use" translates into sending it in alone into a massive enemy formation in a kamikaze attack.
note to self; investigate possibility of Davy Crockett warheads in Banzai bomb mount..

oldfart3025

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 03 June 2012, 23:06:08 »

That's one use. But only if things get really shitty. Round up twelve head of fools...er, patriots to fight a rear guard action in a company's worth of Banzais. They get trashed, 'Mechs go "BOOM!", enemy pursuit formation is disrupted.

Usually "special purpose use" involves head hunting somebody that's important enough to kill, but not important enough to take alive (that would be a bonus, though). The booby trap/self-destruct device is just an insurance policy if weapons fire doesn't do the job (increases the odds). Another is close combat in AO's where massive collateral damage from the start isn't a major issue (eliminate the opposition, taking real estate is a tertiary concern).

note to self; investigate possibility of Davy Crockett warheads in Banzai bomb mount..

I like the way you think.  }:)
« Last Edit: 03 June 2012, 23:08:35 by oldfart3025 »
"That which I cannot crush with words alone, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!"~Lord Solar Macharius

Breetai

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 04 June 2012, 10:39:55 »
It's a pity that no canon variants took the rather parsimonious approach of consolidating the 4 ACs into a pair of Light Gauss.

Same tonnage, same range, more damage, better penetration.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #17 on: 04 June 2012, 10:54:51 »
I never liked the Mauler when it was new, and I don't really care for it now.  It does have a lot of range, which is essental for a mech with such light armor, but its so painfuly inefficant that its hard to take seriously, even when its raining a problematicly low portion of its fire down on you.  Too few heatsinks, too little armor, an XL, and all of that to save weight for AC2s?  Even the LRMs and the one ER LL it can afford to use don't make up for that.  Better off with an Kuritan/FRR Archer.

But, just because of the great toy-tie-in fluff, I love the Daboku.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #18 on: 04 June 2012, 14:09:49 »
I never liked the Mauler when it was new, and I don't really care for it now.  It does have a lot of range, which is essental for a mech with such light armor, but its so painfuly inefficant that its hard to take seriously, even when its raining a problematicly low portion of its fire down on you.  Too few heatsinks, too little armor, an XL, and all of that to save weight for AC2s?  Even the LRMs and the one ER LL it can afford to use don't make up for that.  Better off with an Kuritan/FRR Archer.

But, just because of the great toy-tie-in fluff, I love the Daboku.
the quad AC2's made some sense in the 3rd and 4th succession war era battlefeilds. bigger mechs had lots more tonnage to use, but the low weight energy weapons needed massive numbers of single heat sinks to make them worthwhile in more than token amounts. quad AC2's would have given you unparallelled range at extremely low heat, letting you ride your heat curve better. the LRM's are another long range, low heat weapon set. the original version's twin large lasers were the only real heat-limited system. and frankly, i suspect those were more of an effort to give it 'backup guns' that would let it retain actual combat value once the ammo ran out. (compared to most support designs with AC's or LRM's, which only retain a few medium lasers, which are good for self defense but not much else unless your opponents are medium's or lighter.)
one wonders how things might have faired if the original had been fitted with say, 6 medium lasers and an extra couple tons of armor. you'd basically have a Jeagermech combined with a Trebuchet, all on one chassis. not a bad support mech approach.
instead they went with the twin large lasers, moving it from a pure support role to a more "in your face" direct combat role.
and when the advanced technology came along, instead of reworking it to excell at either the support or the direct combat role, they used it to patch over the worst 'design flaws', the heatsinks and armor. instead of fixing the "design concept flaws" that were the real problems it faced.

I like the way you think.  }:)

if your going to design a kamikazi mech, might as well give it a warload that can do the most damage. otherwise it's just expensive Seppuku.
« Last Edit: 04 June 2012, 14:29:21 by glitterboy2098 »

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #19 on: 04 June 2012, 14:13:29 »
The Banzai makes me think that the Combine would do well to bring back the Chain Gangs.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #20 on: 04 June 2012, 14:17:35 »
The Banzai makes me think that the Combine would do well to bring back the Chain Gangs.

no better way to win your, and your families, honer back then going out in a blast of glory  O0

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #21 on: 04 June 2012, 14:32:32 »

And program it to play Bon Jovi over the external speakers.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

oldfart3025

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 04 June 2012, 17:04:44 »

Living on a Prayer would be about right.  :P

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 04 June 2012, 17:08:46 »

While we all want to go out in a Blaze of Glory, I'd rather have some AC/DC going.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 04 June 2012, 19:21:04 »
Just go with Shinedown. Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay Boom-Lay Boom)

Hellfire

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 04 June 2012, 19:51:45 »
Just how big is the blast on that booby trap anyway?

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 05 June 2012, 12:57:43 »
Just how big is the blast on that booby trap anyway?

Booby traps are detailed in TacOps, pp. 296/297. In this case...engine rating 360, right? That means 360 damage to anything in the same hex, 180 in adjacent ones, then 90 and 45 respectively further out. Anything four or more hexes away is safe.

(Edited to fix a typo in the page number reference of all things.)
« Last Edit: 06 June 2012, 04:42:43 by A. Lurker »

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #27 on: 05 June 2012, 15:46:59 »
Biiig badda boom...
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 05 June 2012, 23:20:43 »
The one time i hosted a game (on ship) someone modded by removing both larges, one of the LRMs and replacing all 4 AC2s with RAC-2s.  The saved tonnage allowed them to go to a light engine, max armor and have a quartet of med lasers for close in (or paired mediums and paired ER mediums)..

2 rounds into the actual fighting (4 rounds total) the mech took a crit to the LT (from a mech on the left flank) that critted the AC ammo causing it to lose 1/2 its weaponry (minus the 2 CT mediums, and 2 engine slots...  Took 5 more rounds of pounding on it to finally drop it.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 05 June 2012, 23:28:48 »
The twin LGR upgrade someone suggested really sounds like it'd be a wonderful thing to do to the Mauler.  Keep the range (add a hex, even), double the damage, halve the heat (although it isn't as much as it sounds, it's still something), and keep the same general tonnage.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.