Author Topic: BattleChat - 1. IX. 2012 (first)  (Read 9498 times)

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
BattleChat - 1. IX. 2012 (first)
« on: 02 September 2012, 08:43:08 »
+++ martian set to mode +x
Live BattleChats, Every Month! Next chat scheduled for Saturday, 1 September 2012, at 12 PM (Eastern)
Topic set by Habeas2 on Thu Aug 23 2012 07:28:23 GMT+0200
<martian>: Hello
+++ ChanServ has given op to Habeas2
+++ ChanServ has given admin to Habeas2
<Clutch>: Good day all.
<martian>: Hi
<Korsar>: Evening from Germany!
<Habeas2>: Hello
<Habeas2>: Small group this morning....
<truthseeker>: First time for me here.
<Korsar>: Yeah, seems so
<Clutch>: Three minutes past the hour by my atomic clock. Let's get this party started!
<Habeas2>: Korsar, was that an alt you had in the old channel?
<Korsar>: Yeah, my IRC started up on the old chat automatically since I hadn't configured the new one
<Habeas2>: Hello, and welcome again to another live, official, on-line, IRC, BattleChat. As always, I'm your host and sole guest, Herb Beas. I'll be answering questions in the order they are received and I will not be logging (that's on you folks if you want a log).
<Clutch>: Thanks for having us Mr. Beas.
<Habeas2>: Rules are standard: Don't be a jerk, and I won't boot you from the chat. Let everyone have a chance to ask questions, and, well, just be generally nice to one another.
<Mimo>: So as DarkISi has holidays I 'll log
<Habeas2>: With that, the floor is open to questions!
<Habeas2>: Ah, I was wondering who'd log this one.
<martian>: Will we meet surviving White Tigers in the future?
<Korsar>: If Mimo hadn't shown up, I would have
<Habeas2>: Martian - White Tigers?
<Mimo>: you can log to, i don't trust my irc
<Clutch>: Smoke Jaguars is my first guess.
<martian>: Surviving members of Warrior House White Tiger.
<Korsar>: So, with the AToW Companion on the horizon: Did you actually in your long career with CGL and Battletech played one of the RPGs?
<Korsar>: @Mimo: Okay, that way we can be sure
<Habeas2>: Martian - Oh! Nearly forgot all about them! Um, there's weren't THAT many of them, and as they were cybered up to the point of lunacy, they probably won't linger much past the Jihad era.
<martian>: Okay.
<Habeas2>: Korsar - I have played long-running campaigns in both MW2nd and MW3rd (MW1st was before my time). I even ran some campaigns via IRC.
<Clutch>: I've played every edition of MechWarrior since Ed 1. It was the color plates by artist Steve Venters that set the BattleTech hook in me.
<Druu1>: I'm always late
<Clutch>: It's a really fun universe to RP in.
<martian>: Will we see at least some remaining vehicles from Serpentus series?
<truthseeker>: How did you get the idea for the Tiamat? It is so much larger than any of the other assault DropShips that have been published?
<Mimo>: Are there plans to make the assembling of fighter squadrons more comfortable?
<Korsar>: Habeas2 Nice, I wish I would get some more people to play AToW withe me
<Habeas2>: Martian - As far as we know to date, the Serpentus series received no further vehicles, because the Jihad ended before the Word of Blake could complete them.
<martian>: Makes sense.
<Clutch>: I frequently used the Aerotech2 Radar map to run the third dimension alongside a BattleTech game. Any chance you could bring that back?
<Trboturtle>: So, with the major cons over, can we see the PDFs again?
<Paint-it-Pink>: Hi, just want to ask if CGL have any plans for the miniatures games, as in a separate book for example?
<Korsar>: Seen as ISP 3 (yeah, I call it that in my head ) deals with Interstellar expedtions, can we expect to see some new contracts for RPG groups?
<Mimo>: Any chances that the Con exclusive faction dices would be avaible for german cons? Maybe via Ulisss Spiele?
<mib_twaxct>: So how is everyone doing?
<Habeas2>: Truthseeker - The Tiamat was basically envisioned as the epitome of a vessel built ground-up to serve as a Pocket WarShip. It was also, like the Celestial, Demon, and Spectral series of units, proposed as a DropShip series for WoB
<Habeas2>: Mimo - I'm not sure I follow that question. What would you mean by "more comfortable"?
<truthseeker>: Will we see more ships like the Tiamat in the future in spite of the fact that the WoB is essentially in ruin or in exile?
<Mimo>: in teh moment you must count everey lsaer, lrm or something else from all fighters, needless to say how often I had made mistakes
<Habeas2>: Clutch - The Radar Map for aerospace/ground support is in Strategic Operations already, so.... we already did.
<Clutch>: Rock and roll.
<Habeas2>: Trboturtle - Yes, we will see PDFs again, as soon as we clear some bottlenecks that developed (starting with the fact that we only have one part-time layout guy handling all our book and PDF work for BattleTech...)
<Habeas2>: Paint-it-Pink - A separate book for miniatures-only play? Consider the fact that miniatures play is based on concepts explained in detail across all of the core books, and you might see why a separate book would just be a redundancy. Plus, we want to avoid the "red-headed stepchild effect" like we had with AeroTech.
<CharlieTango>: Apologies for being late, and if this has already been asked. Randall had tweeted/posted a while back about new molds of the minis for the Introductory Boxed Set, and had said he would post a blog post about it (this was back just after Origins) but hadn't. Is there a reprint of the Intro Box forthcoming, and will it have new moldings of the 'Mechs in it?
<Paint-it-Pink>: Okay, I agree, but was thinking that a more miniature wargame approach might work, a bit like what has been done by taking BattleForce and making Quick Strike.
<mib_twaxct>: Any news about Field Manual SLDF coming out in Dead tree form?
<Habeas2>: Korsar - No. We gradually dropped the contracts notion, and didn 't use it at all this time.
<Habeas2>: Mimo - The faction dice we had made for con season were sold out completely within 30 minutes at GenCon when some guy bought the entire bucket. It could be some time before we see more. (Randall posted a blog about this on BattleCorps.)
<CharlieTango>: To take P-i-P's question and stand it on its head a bit... any possibility of official rules for adapting quick-strike to hex-based play? some of us have already done it unofficially but I was wondering about an official ruleset.
<Habeas2>: mib_twaxct - I'm doing ok. Just a bit tired and achey.
<Habeas2>: Truthseeker - Signs point to.... Maybe. The RotS may have captured the design specs and could be using the ships in the future.
<Mimo>: I know, would there be an opinion that Ulisses could have some for selling?
<Habeas2>: Mimo - Ah. That's a result of the abstraction. If you ran fighter squadrons like regular fighters, gameplay would be drawn out even longer and it would be questionable why you were using squadrons at all, since you're treating each fighter's weapons' separately.
<truthseeker>: The Tiamat itself? or similar large (or larger) PWS designs?
<Habeas2>: CharlieTango - Yes, and yes.
<Habeas2>: Paint-it-Pink - That's just it; if we make separate books for miniatures wargaming and regular hex-grid gaming (when the conversions are ultimately so simple), then we'll either be giving the minis gamers a pamphlet and referencing them to the core rules for basic rules anyway, or we'll be reprinting an entire core book series JUST for a small segment of our gaming community. Both options are expenses neither we nor our customer
<Habeas2>: Mib_twaxt - Field Manual: SLDF is already out in dead tree form. We sold quite a few at GenCon
<Habeas2>: CharlieTango - That's possible, too. Again, conversion between miniatures and hex-grid play are really very minor when you get down to it.
<Trboturtle>: Stil no word on the novels I take it?
<Habeas2>: Mimo - I really can't be sure about that one.
<Habeas2>: Truthseeker - Both
<martian>: This is not exactly a question about products, but are you in contact with Jordan Weisman, Ross Babcock or any other BattleTech veteran from founding years? Are they still interested in CBT?
<Paint-it-Pink>: However, BattleTech is ultimately not a miniatures game, it is a board game. While there are some simple analogs that allow conversion, IMNSHO there are some opportunities to produce a product that would be different, yet at the same time have the core background to draw on. Just think of the minis it could sell?
<Habeas2>: Trboturtle - For now, no novels are forthcoming. In their place, we are moving toward the Blitzkrieg e-novellas, such as "Ghost Bear's Lament" (by Steve Mohan Jr.) and "Operation Ice Storm" (by Jason Schmetzer) for primary fiction, backed up by BattleCorps.
<Clutch>: Follow on to MartIAN...hOW ARE THINGS GOING WITH iRON wIND mETALS?
<Clutch>: wHOOPS.
Clutch types with two fingers.....
<Habeas2>: Martian - I, personally, am in contact with neither Jordan nor Ross (though I have met Jordan from time to time at GenCon). I imagine they have interest of some form or another with BT (in as much as anyone has interest in the places where they used to work), but how much or how little is entirely variable.
<truthseeker>: Are you going to be publishing material for new writers who have not been published before with these e-novellas?
<Mimo>: better 2 fingers than with cats on the desk
<CharlieTango>: Any word on progress on RS:3067 Unabridged?
<Habeas2>: Paint-it-Pink - Were we a straight miniatures company, like Games Workshop, you might have actually seen a business model just like that, but Catalyst Game Labs does NOT sell miniature. We sell books, and many of our scenarios and rules still actually reference mapsheets to determine special abilities and the like. Making BattleTech a straight minis game is not our goal, but we also know there's great appeal in using terrain wit
<Habeas2>: Clutch - Iron WInd Metals seems to be doing fine. Or at least, I've heard no complaints or word of crisis from them.
<Habeas2>: Truthseeker - New writers off the street? No. The novellas will go to only the most experienced fiction writers we have available to us. The standards will be high, since we expect to be running spine fiction that way.
<mib_twaxct>: Can you tel us if there wil be anthing new coming out for Batletech in the next thre to four months? For example PDF Series or boks.
<Dru>: Did Catalyst Game Labs see the Kickstarter that Reaper Miniatures put on to quick start their 'Bones' Line of Miniatures. I realize there are a lot more generic fantasy miniatures fans then Mechwarror Miniatures Fans but has there been a discussion of using something like this to expand the hard plastic miniatures to help cover some expense?
<Habeas2>: CharlieTango - Development hell. Maybe someday we'll learn to stop making variants for every single thing, or introducing new technologies that no design software has kept up with.
<Clutch>: Follow up: You have no input on miniature design? I guess that's a strength in the line. Your BattleTech may not look like my BattleTech, but it's still BattleTech.....If that makes ant sense at all.
<truthseeker>: "spine fiction"?
<Habeas2>: Mib_Twaxct - As noted earlier, A Time of War Companion is due to come out next; it was rushed for GenCon but once we missed that deadline, we pulled it back so we could add an index and give it an extra layer of polish before it goes to print and PF sale. Following that is Interstellar Expeditions (IP3), and then the last of the 3067 Handbook series, Handbook: House Kurita. We hope to have all of those out before next year. PDF-
<Daemion>: Has a central aspect for tech depiction been developed for future fiction? Considering the order of canonicity, a lot of the early novels have widely divergent tech depictions.
<Cateran>: truthseeker, "spine fiction" is the core of the ongoing fiction. The main storyline, so to speak, with other stories being " Meanwhile on Timbuktu"
<Daemion>: Re: consistancy in fiction - Or, will the 'pick your own flavor' be a continuing feature of BattleTech fiction?
<Habeas2>: Dru - Again, Catalyst Game Labs does not produce miniatures. We have to subcontract for any that you see. It gets us into some very expensive and legally thorny areas if we try to produce BattleTech miniatures for ourselves.
<truthseeker>: How does one get started writing fiction that would be published in the BattleTech universe?
<Paint-it-Pink>: I must admit I prefer what is happening on Timbuktu to spine novels in general, as I prefer to have the spine stuff in source books and the like, because spine books make the faction appear more important. Again IMNSHO all are equal, or not equal as each other.
<Trboturtle>: Truthseeker --- simeple -- submit good stories to Battlecorps
<Habeas2>: Clutch - Ultimately speaking, we can ask for whatever miniatures we want, but it's basically picking our order via another miniature producer. CGL does not own IWM, for example. Unlike Reaper or Games Workshop, we don't have that kind of direct control, and we never really had it to begin with.
<Habeas2>: Truthseeker - "Spine fiction" is basically what most of the novels were for BattleTech; they moved the main universe plots forward. The latest "spine fiction" was Bonfire of Worlds by Steve Mohan Jr.
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Yes. We have internal documentation covering what tech is and is not allowed in the setting. Still, clashes with older novels are inevitable, since it's been 20-25 years since they were written and some of them used concepts we know to be wrong today.
<Habeas2>: Daemion - What do you mean by "pick your own flavor" here?
<Habeas2>: Truthseeker - submit stories to BattleCorps. You HAVE to e able to write well, tell a good story, and stay in canon, though.
<Daemion>: RE-pic your own flavor - that was simply an extension of my first question. What I mean is that in some novels, you have weapons missing widely, etc. In some, it bounces off armor hamrlessly, etc. In some you have high level of automation. In others its more direct operator control...
<Trboturtle2>: Now i'm twins.....
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Depends on the setting of the story.
<Habeas2>: Giving you guys 17 minutes more.
<Habeas2>: .....Unless you really don't need it
<CharlieTango>: Any more tidbits to drop about the ilClan?
<Daemion>: If the setting is say, a maruader's cockpit, then wouldn't there be a problem with one story depicting high automation directing the pilot's actions versus another showing direct pilot control of complex systems?
<Daemion>: So, how did your last game go?
<Habeas2>: CharlieTango - Are you kidding? That thread on the official BattleTech forums is hysterical without me having to add another word about it!
<Trboturtle2>: I still say it's Clan Blue Wombat......
<Daemion>: Nah. Clan Pink Fuzzy Bunny all the way.
<Mimo>: from a german novel book i've heard its clan fog penguins
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Depends how much writing the author puts into it, but ultimately, the handwave is that many cockpits are customized. We try to discourage too much in the way of explaining the controls, because hyper-detail tends to break any fictional system.
<Alex_AFK>: it's Clan Domestic Cat, actually
<CharlieTango>: figured I'd give you a chance to stoke the fire if you wanted to.
<Mimo>: domestic cat sunds god
<Mimo>: good
<Habeas2>: Daemion - My last game of BattleTech went great! Which is to say, I died as expected.
<Mimo>: damn cats
<Alex_AFK>: no no, you had it right the first time
<Daemion>: Was it a pick-up game, or were you playing opfor for someone's 'special force'?
<Habeas2>: CharlieTango - Oh, ok. Some of them probably got it right.
<Habeas2>: Daemion - It was Masters & Minions at GenCon
<Daemion>: Ah. Pick-up
<Daemion>: Is it true that the majority of Word of Blake knows/knew nothing of the hidden five?
<CharlieTango>: He died but at least he had fun dying. maybe because this year it didn't go until 3AM.
<Daemion>: Ugh.
<Daemion>: Someone had to drag that one out, huh? Who was it?
<Daemion>: Rumor has it that the ranges as listed in the rules actually have a handwavium explanation as being accurate for the actual BTU. Is this accurate?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - True. The majority of the Word of Blake had no idea about the Five Worlds
<Daemion>: Is it also true that few WoB personnel actually knew of any master plan?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - I'm bad with names; don't recall who they were.
<Daemion>: How small a circle was the fab5 held to? Would precentor Blaine have known about it, for example?
<Daemion>: Will we ever see Precentor Berith again?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - The ranges listed in the rules are designed to facilitate tabletop play. They reflect a weapon's effective range, but--as demonstrated by advanced rules such as Extreme and LOS Range--they do not reflect a weapon's actual maximum range. Many of the rifles at the AToW scale, for example, can hit targets as far as 1-2 kilometers away, but at the platoon level, these ranges drop drastically to reflect their need to mass f
<CharlieTango>: You mentioned "spine fiction" earlier. When can we expect to see those spine fiction novellas beginning to show up on Battlecorps?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Yes. Few WoB personnel ever learned the Master's plans.
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Blaine was not trusted with that information, but may have suspected or known of Jardine at least
<martian>: Is XTRO: Primitives 3 planned for this year or the next year? I'd like to see primitive Orion, Thunderbolt or Archer.
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Berith has gone into exile. If we see more from him, it'll be surprise.
<Habeas2>: CharlieTango - We're still discussing the schedule.
<Daemion>: Is the rumor still true that Blaine was spaced at the outset of the Jihad, and is it still... accurate?
<Habeas2>: Martian - There's a big bottleneck on all PDFs. They'll emerge when we get them done, but I cannot offer a schedule at this time
<Daemion>: Will we see guidlines for running word characters in the AToW Companion?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Yes. Blaine was dumped over Tharkad. He probably burned up on entry.
<Daemion>: RE Blaine burning up on reentry - how long did that take? Days? Hours?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Not really; the focus of AToW Companion moves us slightly past the point where WoB is relevant, though you WILL see all the lovely cybernetics rules they gve us
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Are you just having fun with me now?
<Daemion>: Yes.
<Korsar>: Daemion - Afaik you already can play Word characters with the basic AToW
<Habeas2>: 1 minute. Last call
<Clutch>: Are there Smoke Jaguar Truborns out in the coreward periphery?
<Habeas2>: Clutch - ANything's possible.
<Daemion>: What year do you predict the third Star League will encoutner the Tetatae Empirium
<Clutch>: 1103.
<Habeas2>: Daemion - I'd love to answer that one but oh, look at the time!
<Daemion>: And, can you predict a date when we see the development of Grav drives and shields?
<Daemion>:
<Clutch>: That's why everything tastes like chicken.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
Re: BattleChat - 1. IX. 2012 (first)
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2012, 09:16:51 »
Thanks for logging and posting the chat martian. Your efforts are appreciated.

Really sad that RS3067U is stuck in development hell. Would love to see that whole set complete before we move onward.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2012, 09:23:42 »
I have waited because those guys intended to do post it.

Really sad that RS3067U is stuck in development hell. Would love to see that whole set complete before we move onward.

Yeah, this book is in the works for many many months. Let's hope they will publish it in those remaining months of 2012.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2012, 10:54:10 »
Thanks for loggin the chat, martian.   Didn't sound like very much is going on with Catalyst.   :-[

I hope the E-books/pdfs will finally come out this year.   Its hard to believe there all sort problem making new variants to the old 3067 machines. Its too bad. 

I hope the novellets will end up in a Battlecorp style book so everyone can actually read them.  I'm odd, i can't decide what kind of e-reader program i want be saddled with.  Money tight these days.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2012, 10:58:33 »
Thanks for logging and posting.

Seems things will continue being slow with BT. But this is ok, better having good quality books than something done quickly.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2012, 11:15:46 »
Thank you very much for posting this. I always seem to miss these battlechats!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2012, 11:28:50 »
was there a part 2?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2012, 11:29:40 »
Thanks, martian!  O0

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2012, 11:33:33 »
Thanks for loggin the chat, martian.   Didn't sound like very much is going on with Catalyst.   :-[

I hope the E-books/pdfs will finally come out this year.   Its hard to believe there all sort problem making new variants to the old 3067 machines. Its too bad. 

I hope the novellets will end up in a Battlecorp style book so everyone can actually read them.  I'm odd, i can't decide what kind of e-reader program i want be saddled with.  Money tight these days.

Well you also need to think about that Catalyst isn't just Battletech....
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2012, 11:54:24 »
was there a part 2?

You must ask someone who took part in the second BattleChat. I knew about one busy day ahead of me, so I went to sleep.

It's a pity that Charlie Tango's question about new Intro Box miniatures was not answered.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2012, 13:09:47 »
It was answered, in the affirmative on both counts.  So there is to be a Boxed Set reprint and it will be with recast minis.

-- William S. Burroughs

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2012, 13:20:21 »
It was answered, in the affirmative on both counts.  So there is to be a Boxed Set reprint and it will be with recast minis.

That's nothing new, we knew it before that Battlechat.

I meant it in the context of this thread (and posts No. 9, 10, 11):
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,22602.0.html

We still don't know if the reprint will be out in three months or three years, or if new minis will be just clean old ones or changed in some other way ...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2012, 22:11:23 »

Why are the minis being recasted? Something wrong with them?  Or they what were calling the plastic minis in the intro box?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2012, 22:17:36 »
Why are the minis being recasted? Something wrong with them?  Or they what were calling the plastic minis in the intro box?

It is my guess that they are wanting better casts of the minis in the Intro box, or that they are switching suppliers (I don't know officially either way).  I seriously doubt they will be anything like the highquality plastics of the Loki/Thor if that is what you are wondering.

-- William S. Burroughs

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2012, 23:03:22 »
As noted earlier, A Time of War Companion is due to come out next;
*Threw wallet automatically at the screen*
Sorry, it was a reflex.  :)
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

serrate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 03 September 2012, 00:28:48 »
I've seen this done before, and it makes it easier to read, so I took a stab at it. Here's the entire chat separated into relevant Q&A's:

+++ martian set to mode +x
Live BattleChats, Every Month! Next chat scheduled for Saturday, 1 September 2012, at 12 PM (Eastern)
Topic set by Habeas2 on Thu Aug 23 2012 07:28:23 GMT+0200
<martian>: Hello
+++ ChanServ has given op to Habeas2
+++ ChanServ has given admin to Habeas2
<Clutch>: Good day all.
<martian>: Hi
<Korsar>: Evening from Germany!
<Habeas2>: Hello
<Habeas2>: Small group this morning....
<truthseeker>: First time for me here.
<Korsar>: Yeah, seems so
<Clutch>: Three minutes past the hour by my atomic clock. Let's get this party started!
<Habeas2>: Korsar, was that an alt you had in the old channel?
<Korsar>: Yeah, my IRC started up on the old chat automatically since I hadn't configured the new one
<Habeas2>: Hello, and welcome again to another live, official, on-line, IRC, BattleChat. As always, I'm your host and sole guest, Herb Beas. I'll be answering questions in the order they are received and I will not be logging (that's on you folks if you want a log).
<Clutch>: Thanks for having us Mr. Beas.
<Habeas2>: Rules are standard: Don't be a jerk, and I won't boot you from the chat. Let everyone have a chance to ask questions, and, well, just be generally nice to one another.
<Mimo>: So as DarkISi has holidays I 'll log
<Habeas2>: With that, the floor is open to questions!
<Habeas2>: Ah, I was wondering who'd log this one.
<Korsar>: If Mimo hadn't shown up, I would have
<Mimo>: you can log to, i don't trust my irc
<Korsar>: @Mimo: Okay, that way we can be sure

<martian>: Will we meet surviving White Tigers in the future?
<Habeas2>: Martian - White Tigers?
<Clutch>: Smoke Jaguars is my first guess.
<martian>: Surviving members of Warrior House White Tiger.
<Habeas2>: Martian - Oh! Nearly forgot all about them! Um, there's weren't THAT many of them, and as they were cybered up to the point of lunacy, they probably won't linger much past the Jihad era.
<martian>: Okay.

<Korsar>: So, with the AToW Companion on the horizon: Did you actually in your long career with CGL and Battletech played one of the RPGs?
<Habeas2>: Korsar - I have played long-running campaigns in both MW2nd and MW3rd (MW1st was before my time). I even ran some campaigns via IRC.
<Clutch>: I've played every edition of MechWarrior since Ed 1. It was the color plates by artist Steve Venters that set the BattleTech hook in me.
<Druu1>: I'm always late
<Clutch>: It's a really fun universe to RP in.
<Korsar>: Habeas2 Nice, I wish I would get some more people to play AToW withe me

<martian>: Will we see at least some remaining vehicles from Serpentus series?
<Habeas2>: Martian - As far as we know to date, the Serpentus series received no further vehicles, because the Jihad ended before the Word of Blake could complete them.
<martian>: Makes sense.

<truthseeker>: How did you get the idea for the Tiamat? It is so much larger than any of the other assault DropShips that have been published?
<Habeas2>: Truthseeker - The Tiamat was basically envisioned as the epitome of a vessel built ground-up to serve as a Pocket WarShip. It was also, like the Celestial, Demon, and Spectral series of units, proposed as a DropShip series for WoB
<truthseeker>: Will we see more ships like the Tiamat in the future in spite of the fact that the WoB is essentially in ruin or in exile?
<Habeas2>: Truthseeker - Signs point to.... Maybe. The RotS may have captured the design specs and could be using the ships in the future.
<truthseeker>: The Tiamat itself? or similar large (or larger) PWS designs?
<Habeas2>: Truthseeker – Both

<Mimo>: Are there plans to make the assembling of fighter squadrons more comfortable?
<Habeas2>: Mimo - I'm not sure I follow that question. What would you mean by "more comfortable"?
<Mimo>: in teh moment you must count everey lsaer, lrm or something else from all fighters, needless to say how often I had made mistakes
<Habeas2>: Mimo - Ah. That's a result of the abstraction. If you ran fighter squadrons like regular fighters, gameplay would be drawn out even longer and it would be questionable why you were using squadrons at all, since you're treating each fighter's weapons' separately.

<Clutch>: I frequently used the Aerotech2 Radar map to run the third dimension alongside a BattleTech game. Any chance you could bring that back?
<Habeas2>: Clutch - The Radar Map for aerospace/ground support is in Strategic Operations already, so.... we already did.
<Clutch>: Rock and roll.

<Trboturtle>: So, with the major cons over, can we see the PDFs again?
<Habeas2>: Trboturtle - Yes, we will see PDFs again, as soon as we clear some bottlenecks that developed (starting with the fact that we only have one part-time layout guy handling all our book and PDF work for BattleTech...)

<Paint-it-Pink>: Hi, just want to ask if CGL have any plans for the miniatures games, as in a separate book for example?
<Habeas2>: Paint-it-Pink - A separate book for miniatures-only play? Consider the fact that miniatures play is based on concepts explained in detail across all of the core books, and you might see why a separate book would just be a redundancy. Plus, we want to avoid the "red-headed stepchild effect" like we had with AeroTech.
<Paint-it-Pink>: Okay, I agree, but was thinking that a more miniature wargame approach might work, a bit like what has been done by taking BattleForce and making Quick Strike.
<Habeas2>: Paint-it-Pink - That's just it; if we make separate books for miniatures wargaming and regular hex-grid gaming (when the conversions are ultimately so simple), then we'll either be giving the minis gamers a pamphlet and referencing them to the core rules for basic rules anyway, or we'll be reprinting an entire core book series JUST for a small segment of our gaming community. Both options are expenses neither we nor our customer
<Paint-it-Pink>: However, BattleTech is ultimately not a miniatures game, it is a board game. While there are some simple analogs that allow conversion, IMNSHO there are some opportunities to produce a product that would be different, yet at the same time have the core background to draw on. Just think of the minis it could sell?
<Habeas2>: Paint-it-Pink - Were we a straight miniatures company, like Games Workshop, you might have actually seen a business model just like that, but Catalyst Game Labs does NOT sell miniature. We sell books, and many of our scenarios and rules still actually reference mapsheets to determine special abilities and the like. Making BattleTech a straight minis game is not our goal, but we also know there's great appeal in using terrain wit

<Korsar>: Seen as ISP 3 (yeah, I call it that in my head ) deals with Interstellar expedtions, can we expect to see some new contracts for RPG groups?
<Habeas2>: Korsar - No. We gradually dropped the contracts notion, and didn 't use it at all this time.

<Mimo>: Any chances that the Con exclusive faction dices would be avaible for german cons? Maybe via Ulisss Spiele?
<Habeas2>: Mimo - The faction dice we had made for con season were sold out completely within 30 minutes at GenCon when some guy bought the entire bucket. It could be some time before we see more. (Randall posted a blog about this on BattleCorps.)
<Mimo>: I know, would there be an opinion that Ulisses could have some for selling?
<Habeas2>: Mimo - I really can't be sure about that one.

<mib_twaxct>: So how is everyone doing?
<Habeas2>: mib_twaxct - I'm doing ok. Just a bit tired and achey.

<CharlieTango>: Apologies for being late, and if this has already been asked. Randall had tweeted/posted a while back about new molds of the minis for the Introductory Boxed Set, and had said he would post a blog post about it (this was back just after Origins) but hadn't. Is there a reprint of the Intro Box forthcoming, and will it have new moldings of the 'Mechs in it?
<Habeas2>: CharlieTango - Yes, and yes.

<mib_twaxct>: Any news about Field Manual SLDF coming out in Dead tree form?
<Habeas2>: Mib_twaxt - Field Manual: SLDF is already out in dead tree form. We sold quite a few at GenCon

<CharlieTango>: To take P-i-P's question and stand it on its head a bit... any possibility of official rules for adapting quick-strike to hex-based play? some of us have already done it unofficially but I was wondering about an official ruleset.
<Habeas2>: CharlieTango - That's possible, too. Again, conversion between miniatures and hex-grid play are really very minor when you get down to it.

<Trboturtle>: Stil no word on the novels I take it?
<Habeas2>: Trboturtle - For now, no novels are forthcoming. In their place, we are moving toward the Blitzkrieg e-novellas, such as "Ghost Bear's Lament" (by Steve Mohan Jr.) and "Operation Ice Storm" (by Jason Schmetzer) for primary fiction, backed up by BattleCorps.
<truthseeker>: Are you going to be publishing material for new writers who have not been published before with these e-novellas?
<Habeas2>: Truthseeker - New writers off the street? No. The novellas will go to only the most experienced fiction writers we have available to us. The standards will be high, since we expect to be running spine fiction that way.
<truthseeker>: "spine fiction"?
<Cateran>: truthseeker, "spine fiction" is the core of the ongoing fiction. The main storyline, so to speak, with other stories being " Meanwhile on Timbuktu"
<Paint-it-Pink>: I must admit I prefer what is happening on Timbuktu to spine novels in general, as I prefer to have the spine stuff in source books and the like, because spine books make the faction appear more important. Again IMNSHO all are equal, or not equal as each other.
<Habeas2>: Truthseeker - "Spine fiction" is basically what most of the novels were for BattleTech; they moved the main universe plots forward. The latest "spine fiction" was Bonfire of Worlds by Steve Mohan Jr.

<martian>: This is not exactly a question about products, but are you in contact with Jordan Weisman, Ross Babcock or any other BattleTech veteran from founding years? Are they still interested in CBT?
<Habeas2>: Martian - I, personally, am in contact with neither Jordan nor Ross (though I have met Jordan from time to time at GenCon). I imagine they have interest of some form or another with BT (in as much as anyone has interest in the places where they used to work), but how much or how little is entirely variable.

<Clutch>: Follow on to MartIAN...hOW ARE THINGS GOING WITH iRON wIND mETALS?
<Clutch>: wHOOPS.
Clutch types with two fingers.....
<Mimo>: better 2 fingers than with cats on the desk
<Habeas2>: Clutch - Iron WInd Metals seems to be doing fine. Or at least, I've heard no complaints or word of crisis from them.
<Clutch>: Follow up: You have no input on miniature design? I guess that's a strength in the line. Your BattleTech may not look like my BattleTech, but it's still BattleTech.....If that makes ant sense at all.
<Habeas2>: Clutch - Ultimately speaking, we can ask for whatever miniatures we want, but it's basically picking our order via another miniature producer. CGL does not own IWM, for example. Unlike Reaper or Games Workshop, we don't have that kind of direct control, and we never really had it to begin with.

<CharlieTango>: Any word on progress on RS:3067 Unabridged?
<Habeas2>: CharlieTango - Development hell. Maybe someday we'll learn to stop making variants for every single thing, or introducing new technologies that no design software has kept up with.

<mib_twaxct>: Can you tel us if there wil be anthing new coming out for Batletech in the next thre to four months? For example PDF Series or boks.
<Habeas2>: Mib_Twaxct - As noted earlier, A Time of War Companion is due to come out next; it was rushed for GenCon but once we missed that deadline, we pulled it back so we could add an index and give it an extra layer of polish before it goes to print and PF sale. Following that is Interstellar Expeditions (IP3), and then the last of the 3067 Handbook series, Handbook: House Kurita. We hope to have all of those out before next year. PDF-

<Dru>: Did Catalyst Game Labs see the Kickstarter that Reaper Miniatures put on to quick start their 'Bones' Line of Miniatures. I realize there are a lot more generic fantasy miniatures fans then Mechwarror Miniatures Fans but has there been a discussion of using something like this to expand the hard plastic miniatures to help cover some expense?
<Habeas2>: Dru - Again, Catalyst Game Labs does not produce miniatures. We have to subcontract for any that you see. It gets us into some very expensive and legally thorny areas if we try to produce BattleTech miniatures for ourselves.

<Daemion>: Has a central aspect for tech depiction been developed for future fiction? Considering the order of canonicity, a lot of the early novels have widely divergent tech depictions.
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Yes. We have internal documentation covering what tech is and is not allowed in the setting. Still, clashes with older novels are inevitable, since it's been 20-25 years since they were written and some of them used concepts we know to be wrong today.
<Daemion>: Re: consistancy in fiction - Or, will the 'pick your own flavor' be a continuing feature of BattleTech fiction?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - What do you mean by "pick your own flavor" here?
<Daemion>: RE-pic your own flavor - that was simply an extension of my first question. What I mean is that in some novels, you have weapons missing widely, etc. In some, it bounces off armor hamrlessly, etc. In some you have high level of automation. In others its more direct operator control...
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Depends on the setting of the story.
<Daemion>: If the setting is say, a maruader's cockpit, then wouldn't there be a problem with one story depicting high automation directing the pilot's actions versus another showing direct pilot control of complex systems?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Depends how much writing the author puts into it, but ultimately, the handwave is that many cockpits are customized. We try to discourage too much in the way of explaining the controls, because hyper-detail tends to break any fictional system.

<truthseeker>: How does one get started writing fiction that would be published in the BattleTech universe?
<Trboturtle>: Truthseeker --- simeple -- submit good stories to Battlecorps
<Habeas2>: Truthseeker - submit stories to BattleCorps. You HAVE to e able to write well, tell a good story, and stay in canon, though.

<Trboturtle2>: Now i'm twins.....
<Habeas2>: Giving you guys 17 minutes more.
<Habeas2>: .....Unless you really don't need it

<CharlieTango>: Any more tidbits to drop about the ilClan?
<Habeas2>: CharlieTango - Are you kidding? That thread on the official BattleTech forums is hysterical without me having to add another word about it!
<Trboturtle2>: I still say it's Clan Blue Wombat......
<Daemion>: Nah. Clan Pink Fuzzy Bunny all the way.
<Mimo>: from a german novel book i've heard its clan fog penguins
<Alex_AFK>: it's Clan Domestic Cat, actually
<CharlieTango>: figured I'd give you a chance to stoke the fire if you wanted to.
<Mimo>: domestic cat sunds god
<Mimo>: good
<Mimo>: damn cats
<Alex_AFK>: no no, you had it right the first time
<Habeas2>: CharlieTango - Oh, ok. Some of them probably got it right.

<Daemion>: So, how did your last game go?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - My last game of BattleTech went great! Which is to say, I died as expected.
<Daemion>: Was it a pick-up game, or were you playing opfor for someone's 'special force'?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - It was Masters & Minions at GenCon
<Daemion>: Ah. Pick-up
<CharlieTango>: He died but at least he had fun dying. maybe because this year it didn't go until 3AM.
<Daemion>: Ugh.
<Daemion>: Someone had to drag that one out, huh? Who was it?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - I'm bad with names; don't recall who they were.

<Daemion>: Is it true that the majority of Word of Blake knows/knew nothing of the hidden five?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - True. The majority of the Word of Blake had no idea about the Five Worlds

<Daemion>: Rumor has it that the ranges as listed in the rules actually have a handwavium explanation as being accurate for the actual BTU. Is this accurate?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - The ranges listed in the rules are designed to facilitate tabletop play. They reflect a weapon's effective range, but--as demonstrated by advanced rules such as Extreme and LOS Range--they do not reflect a weapon's actual maximum range. Many of the rifles at the AToW scale, for example, can hit targets as far as 1-2 kilometers away, but at the platoon level, these ranges drop drastically to reflect their need to mass f

<Daemion>: Is it also true that few WoB personnel actually knew of any master plan?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Yes. Few WoB personnel ever learned the Master's plans.

<Daemion>: How small a circle was the fab5 held to? Would precentor Blaine have known about it, for example?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Blaine was not trusted with that information, but may have suspected or known of Jardine at least

<Daemion>: Will we ever see Precentor Berith again?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Berith has gone into exile. If we see more from him, it'll be surprise.

<CharlieTango>: You mentioned "spine fiction" earlier. When can we expect to see those spine fiction novellas beginning to show up on Battlecorps?
<Habeas2>: CharlieTango - We're still discussing the schedule.

<martian>: Is XTRO: Primitives 3 planned for this year or the next year? I'd like to see primitive Orion, Thunderbolt or Archer.
<Habeas2>: Martian - There's a big bottleneck on all PDFs. They'll emerge when we get them done, but I cannot offer a schedule at this time

<Daemion>: Is the rumor still true that Blaine was spaced at the outset of the Jihad, and is it still... accurate?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Yes. Blaine was dumped over Tharkad. He probably burned up on entry.
<Daemion>: RE Blaine burning up on reentry - how long did that take? Days? Hours?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Are you just having fun with me now?
<Daemion>: Yes.

<Daemion>: Will we see guidlines for running word characters in the AToW Companion?
<Habeas2>: Daemion - Not really; the focus of AToW Companion moves us slightly past the point where WoB is relevant, though you WILL see all the lovely cybernetics rules they gve us
<Korsar>: Daemion - Afaik you already can play Word characters with the basic AToW

<Habeas2>: 1 minute. Last call
<Clutch>: Are there Smoke Jaguar Truborns out in the coreward periphery?
<Habeas2>: Clutch - ANything's possible.

<Daemion>: What year do you predict the third Star League will encoutner the Tetatae Empirium
<Clutch>: 1103.
<Habeas2>: Daemion - I'd love to answer that one but oh, look at the time!
<Daemion>: And, can you predict a date when we see the development of Grav drives and shields?
<Daemion>:
<Clutch>: That's why everything tastes like chicken.

====================================================================
If you'd prefer I not do this in the future, just let me know.

Maverick

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 03 September 2012, 01:20:43 »
I was really hoping to make it to at least one of the chats, since I heard from the GenCon recap that no plans are in the works to provide HeroLab support for AToW. :(

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #17 on: 03 September 2012, 04:52:30 »
Bear in mind that it's up to HeroLab to approach CGL to do a module for AtoW.  so if you want one you know who to bug :D
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #18 on: 03 September 2012, 11:38:20 »

Agreed... waiting for 3067 for awhile!  :-[

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #19 on: 03 September 2012, 17:12:14 »
Was there second chat? Does anyone know if anything new was said @ it?

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #20 on: 03 September 2012, 17:34:07 »
I wasn't able to log it, got side tracked at the end, but here's a few stand out points that stuck with me:

- Some talk about splitting Interstellar Operations into two books. Apparently the era specific stuff was larger than anticipated and may receive it's own rulebook. Looks like IO got the full Mr. Bills treatment like many hoped/feared/expected.
- The hope is to have more XTROs and the completion of the Objectives series out by the end of the year.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: BattleChat - 1. IX. 2012 (first) and Only
« Reply #21 on: 03 September 2012, 18:21:25 »
I wasn't able to log it, got side tracked at the end, but here's a few stand out points that stuck with me:

- Some talk about splitting Interstellar Operations into two books. Apparently the era specific stuff was larger than anticipated and may receive it's own rulebook. Looks like IO got the full Mr. Bills treatment like many hoped/feared/expected.
- The hope is to have more XTROs and the completion of the Objectives series out by the end of the year.

Thanks for the 10-4 on that, Weasley. 

I understood many of the XTRO and other PDFs were done, but on-hold from release due to no-time for review them.  Paper-Print stuff comes first. 

Hopefully the ATOW Companion will be out soon, since September has arrived.   I'm more looking forward to HB:Kurita myself.

I hope there won't be too many more spoilers due to TRO:Prototypes. 

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 03 September 2012, 19:31:55 »
Hm, spinning off the Era-Specific stuff into Historical Operations might be cool.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #23 on: 03 September 2012, 20:47:40 »
A split of IO in to IO and HO would be pretty neat. It would help for the IO book to come out sooner, and HO can have some more time with it.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #24 on: 04 September 2012, 11:35:07 »
I am really not surprised but I don't really mind such a split.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

Hersh67

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 04 September 2012, 20:32:43 »
First, StratOps was supposed to be the final word, but it gets split into StratOps and IntOps.  Then IntOps gets split into IntOps and HistOps...  Do I detect a trend here?  Perhaps Randall needs job security into the *next* millenium.   }:)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 05 September 2012, 05:29:11 »
So does this mean the BattleTech rule system has reached the level of a Von Neumann machine, enlarging and splitting off and then doing it again and again, allowing the rapid growth potential to take over anything in reach the entire wargaming industry?

Also, there needs to be a rule somewhere in the new IO that on-map dropship crashes are represented by taking the entire unabridged Compleat BattleTech Rules And Operations and dropping it in the center of the playing area from a height of three feet.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 05 September 2012, 12:39:11 »
First, StratOps was supposed to be the final word, but it gets split into StratOps and IntOps.  Then IntOps gets split into IntOps and HistOps...  Do I detect a trend here?  Perhaps Randall needs job security into the *next* millenium.   }:)

Zeno's paradox of core rulebooks. I like it!

...although I'm not sure my book case will be able to stand the strain after 3-4 more iterations...

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 05 September 2012, 21:49:13 »
Zeno's paradox of core rulebooks. I like it!

...although I'm not sure my book case will be able to stand the strain after 3-4 more iterations...
There's this house over on Ash Tree Lane that has some pretty impressive wall space for bookshelves.

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 07 September 2012, 16:07:49 »
Why would they sell the entire bucket of faction dice to 1 guy?  Seems dumb to me and screwed over other consumers who wanted to buy the product.

Nvm just saw the blog post.

Register