Author Topic: Battle Armor of the Week - Ravager Assault Battle Armor  (Read 14660 times)

sillybrit

• Major
Battle Armor of the Week - Ravager Assault Battle Armor
« on: 16 October 2012, 23:27:27 »
Ravager Assault Battle Armor - Technical Readout 3085 Supplemental page 11

Another unit to be inherited from MechWarrior Dark Age, and another developed by jymset, the Ravager is the first Battle Armor to be designed by a Periphery state and not only that, it also comes in at the top-end of the Battle Armor weight classes. Oh, and it's very, very ugly.

Published in Technical Readout 3085 Supplemental, the appearance of the Ravager is what might be known as offensive to the eyes. Kindly described as a trashcan on legs by one acquaintance, although personally I think that's unkind to trashcans, such levels of ugliness have not been seen since the Infiltrator Mk I or the face pulled by a bulldog licking urine off a stinging nettle. I can only assume that the designers at Marian Arms Inc were hoping that opponents would be so visually stunned and horrified by what they were seeing that they'd forget to shoot, or that they would feel sorry for the trooper inside and refuse to inflict any further harm to them. Either way, it's Ugly.

Now that I've got that out of my system...

First introduced in 3084 by the Marian Hegemony, the Ravager indirectly owes its existence to the Word of Blake, with its life story technically beginning as far back as the late 3050s. As part of the assistance offered by the Blakists in return for the Marians switched their long distance call provider, Marian Arms had its facilities refurbished with technology that they could have only once dreamed of having. The implication in the 3085 Supplemental is that the factory on Horatius was actually intended for producing Battle Armor, although if this is so, then the intended design to be built there isn't known. Whatever the original intentions, the Blakist's plans to establish another manufacturing center in the Periphery came to naught when Julius O'Reilly kicked them out and signed back up with ComStar in 3065. The Word had the last word when their agents neutron bombed O'Reilly and his capital city in 3071, but luckily for the Marians, that wasn't the end of Julius' ambitions.

The next drop of good fortune for the Marians came in the form of Dr Dafyyd Rou, a former employee of Irian Technologies, who was fleeing both them and the Blakists. By happy providence, Dr Rou happened to not only be an expert in designing Battle Armor, but was also able to assist Marian Arms to finish building their facility on Horatius. Presumably recognizing the price his nation would have to pay to develop their own homegrown Battle Armor project, the current ruler of the Marian Hegemony, Cassius O'Reilly, directed Rou to produce a design that would be suitable for export, with the resulting suit eventually finding its way into the hands of mercenaries and even former states of the fractured Free Worlds League.

Dr Rou's ambitions apparently matched those of the O'Reilly's, and although his design is austere, he chose to build as large a Battle Armor suit as possible. Dubbed the Ravager - I can't help feel that a more Roman name would have been more appropriate - the design weighs in at 2 tons, of which nearly half is devoted to armor, which is about as simple and primitive a technology as you can get.

Equipped with 900kg of Standard armor plate, that provides the Ravager with the maximum eighteen points of armor allowable for an Assault suit. Against many opponents, that level of protection works wonders for keeping the suit alive, and thus cutting down on replacement costs; no doubt the troopers inside appreciate that training costs for replacements will be low too. Unfortunately, such levels of armor practically beg for the enemy to break out the one weapon that doesn't care about how tough Battle Armor may be, in the form of the Inferno. As stated before in prior Battle Armor of the Week articles, Infernos are incredibly powerful when used against Battle armor that lack Fire Resistant armor, something that is a purely a Clan technology. For every three Inferno missiles that hit a squad, one suit is automatically destroyed, and those Infernos can accumulate from multiple attacks in a Turn, so if one attack hits with five and another attack with four, then that's going to be three dead suits. Another point in favor of the efficiency of Infernos against Ravagers is that in effect you're killing a nineteen point suit with just six points of damage.

Of course, the Ravager isn't alone in that vulnerability, the same is true of all Inner Sphere suits and most Clantech ones as well, but heavily armored Assaults are the ones that most often draw the attention of that form of counter, which means they better have the firepower and mobility to deal with their attackers. Unfortunately for Assaults, moving quickly isn't really one of their strong points compared to the lighter weight classes of Battle Armor. They can be designed to match the average speeds of designs like the Medium-weight Inner Sphere Standard or Grey Death Standard, but they pay an excessively high cost in mass to do so. For this reason, it's generally better to leave them relatively slow, so that they concentrate on the forte, namely high payloads and thick armor.

In the case of the Ravager, it has a modest level of mobility enhancement, boosting its ground speed to twice that of foot infantry, thus giving it two Movement Points per Turn. That's not enough to generate a Target Movement Modifier, but it does help the suit run down Inferno-armed foot infantry, or run away from them, as appropriate. Although the image of a two ton suit pounding up the stairwell in a building might seem bizarre, this increased ground speed is very useful in urban combat, and the extra protection offered by heavier buildings can make the already tough Ravager almost insanely difficult to kill with direct fire.

Obviously, as an Assault suit, the Ravager is incapable of performing Mechanized Battle Armor operations - or Anti-'Mech attacks for that matter - despite possessing a full-sized Battle Claw on its left arm. That means that for any form of strategic movement, and in some cases when moving on the battlefield as well, you're going to need to assign it an APC to transport it around. The basic Total War rules do allow Assault Battle Armor to be carried for just one ton per suit, but personally I prefer the optional rules that the full two tons per Assault suit. In the case of the Marian Hegemony, that fields five-suit squads, which means a vehicle with a hefty ten ton bay is required, of which there are few and far between.

Having provided the Ravager with an impressive level of protection and above average mobility, which together with the basic chassis require over three-quarters of the two ton capacity of an Assault class suit, unfortunately that doesn't leave much for armament. Having first appeared in MechWarrior Dark Age, it was known that the Ravager had to have a large Gatling-style gun on its right arm, and so jymset gave it the largest ballistic weapon available for the Inner Sphere, in the form of a Heavy Recoilless Rifle. The multiple barrels have no effect in the game and its fluffed that they're simply there for battlefield redundancy in the case of damage, and perhaps also as a holdover from research by Dr Rou into a true Battle Armor rotary cannon.

As a weapon, the Heavy Recoilless Rifle is a powerful hitter, with a modest boost in range brackets compared to its Medium version, which can be very useful in some situations. Able to inflict extra damage against conventional infantry, which does at least help when encountering those pesky Inferno-armed SRM troops, but the seven hex range does fall short of that of the missiles, so the Ravager is still likely to be looking at mutual destruction at best. Even with the five-suit squads found in the Marian Armed Forces, the Recoilless Rifle won't be anywhere near enough to inflict a Piloting roll on an enemy 'Mech, even if all five Rifles hit, but the Ravager's armor does provide it with endurance, and over time those three-point hits can mount up.

Personally, I would have preferred a Medium Recoilless Rifle, thus leaving more mass for the secondary weaponry, at just a small cost in range, but the Heavy needed some face time and its larger size does perhaps better match the original visual imagery. Sadly, it does only leave a mere 50 kilograms available for the backup armament, and given that the Dark Age models show a torso-mounted missile armament with more than one tube, there was really only one option available using Inner Sphere technology. Luckily, the choice of Rocket Launchers neatly fits in with the Ravager being a Periphery design, although in my opinion, that's where the luck stops.

Rocket Launchers do have a couple of advantages compared to the more typical SRMs, in that they're lighter and longer ranged. Unfortunately, they're also less accurate, do half the damage per missile, lack multiple warhead types and are only available as one-shot versions. For larger unit types, that can afford to mount larger launchers and more of them, Rocket Launchers are perhaps more useful, but for Battle Armor they're best avoided if possible. Obviously, for the Ravager, that's not an option, and at least it doesn't have to worry about being unable to jump until they're detached, but as a firepower boost, they're a mere token and it doesn't really harm much if you forget about them all game.

The Ravager has proven to be an export success, with willing buyers across the Inner Sphere and Periphery tempted by the simplicity and toughness of the design. Perhaps this will indeed one day lead to new variants, as suggested in the write-up, although for now it seems that the Marians are content with what they have, perhaps just wanting to recoup their high project costs. Admittedly, without advanced technology or a significant shift in design theme, the relatively limited payload would restrict options, but some useful armaments are possible.

Overall, the Ravager is a design that fills a niche, providing a contrast to more advanced suits developed closer to Terra. When used against opponents who aren't obsessed with Infernos to the point that even pyromaniacs get uncomfortable, it can be a major annoyance of the battlefield, leveraging its endurance under fire to throw a roadblock in the enemy's plans. It's rarely going to be a battlefield winner by itself, but it does enough to help other troops win the fight. And did I mention that it's sinfully ugly?

Next up:
  • Gray Death Heavy
  • Gray Death Strike
  • Warg
  • Kopis
  • Gorilla

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
Re: Battle Armor of the Week - Ravager Assault Battle Armor
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2012, 23:59:08 »
i'm not entirely sold on the idea that the Ravager is battlearmor and not a tiny little 'mech. the shape of the thing suggests it might be run in a tiny little cockpit with control sticks like a 'mech rather than the augmented suit battlearmor seems to be.

that said....it looks like a diving suit with weapons slapped on, which is the exact kind of design work i've come to expect from anything connected to the clickytech game/ it's far from the ugliest thing i've ever seen, but it's lack of design cohesion combined with the overly simple shapes make it look very awkward.

as an assault BA, it's weapons loadout seems a bit....underwhelming until you realize as a periphery design it is probably most used against pirates and other somewhat battered raiders, and having a few units of very tough BA is better than a few very light battlemechs for defense. a fresh Marauder or Falconer isn't going to stress these guys, but a beat-up Vulcan or Centurion is very likely going to want to find an easier target to shift. that infernos are likely not going to be used much by pirates (inopportune collateral damage tends to lead directly to profit damage) is something of a bonus.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2012, 00:13:08 »
Having faced Ravagers on several occasions, I can tell you that they pack plenty of punch. The Rocket Launchers are more accurate than you might think, what with the lack of an attacker movement mod, and have more range than you normally expect from Battle Armor. The Heavy Recoiless Rifles do fair damage themselves, and the armor on these beasts lets them keep firing longer than many suits would be capable of.

Ravagers are especially good, and dangerous, when deployed as bodyguards for artillery and other firesupport. A pair of Heavy LRM Carriers and a few squads of Ravagers is a very capable force.

As for vulnerability to Infernos, that seems to be the default answer to every Battle Armor design that isn't used by the Jade Falcons, so I don't worry about it too much.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2012, 00:46:20 »
I understand why jymset went with the HRR, but I confess I would have preferred an HMG instead. This would have allowed the missile launcher to be an SRM-2 with multiple reloads - a straight HMG/SRM-2 for HRR/RL-2 swap allows for 5 reloads. And with that much armour, the Ravager would be highly likely to remain in play long enough to run out of SRM ammo, which isn't usually a problem for BA.

And the "pea in a pod" approach is really pretty sensible, for the size, and seen in other BA, including Clan ones. I'd suspect they'd be easier to learn to use, but not capable of as much flexibility as more humanoid suits, but there's no in-game effect either way.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2012, 04:57:09 »
The Ravager. Heh.

As tough as it is ugly it is a great addition to the legions when used correctly.
It is a good bodyguard unit and PBI hunter and if you manage to drop a few on a objective it can be hard for the opponent to get rid of them.

Of course they are vulnerable to infernos but so are all IS suits. Let other units deal with inferno carriers and they are less a problem than might be expected.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2012, 05:16:54 »
Inferno's are a threat to ALL units, why single BA out?

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2012, 05:57:24 »
Because of the particular efficiency they possess for killing infantry, including Battle Armor.

To explain further, on turn one of a battle, let's assume two five-suit squads of Ravagers each get struck by a SRM4 salvo , one with standard warheads and the other Infernos, with each salvo getting the average of three hits.

Standard warheads: For each of the three SRMs that hit, we'd have to roll to see which suit in the squad gets hit, with each suit having a one in five chance of being struck for each individual hit (until the squad starts taking losses). In all likelyhood, we're going to end up with three suits each having taken a single hit; or if we're unlucky, then one suit with two hits and another with the remaining one; or if we're very unlucky, then one suit has been struck by all three.

Even in the worse case, that suit is still going to be very much alive, with twelve points of armor remaining, and even it it remained being equally unlucky in following turns if the squad continues being hit by the same salvos, it's still not going to die until turn four. It should go without saying that the odds of ten SRMs in a row all striking the same suit means that it isn't going to be a common sight. However, as each suit dies, the chance of multiple SRMs striking the same suit among those that remain then becomes more likely as the size of the squad decreases due to losses, until finally the sole survivor is automatically struck by every single SRM that hits.

Infernos: For the three Infernos that hit, roll randomly to see which suit just died. By turn five, they're all going to be dead. It's worth noting that at the very worst, in the same turn the other squad would only be down to four suits, with one suit having eight points of armor left. A more likely result for the standard SRM target would be a squad with five damaged Ravagers.

In addition, the three Infernos needed to kill a single suit can accumulate from seperate attacks in the turn, so we could instead swap that SRM4 for a trio of SRM2s, for example, assuming that each SRM2 salvo only results in one hit. Those SRM2s could also be split among three different attackers.

So while Infernos are a threat for other unit types, for Battle Armor - and conventional infantry - they're absolutely brutal. That's why Fire Resistant armor is so useful.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2012, 06:37:57 »
for those saying it looks like a mini-mech... it probably is. just like the Kanazuchi, Warg, and all quad suits.
the very first assualt armor, the kanazuchi, in fact established the approach, having been explicitly described as being controlled from a cockpit using more vehicle like methods.

of course, odds are the kanazuchi got it from the old cargo moving "heavy industrial exoskeleton" from the early printings of TRO3026, which placed the user in an open air cockpit with basic controls, with the 'exoskeleton' being purely mechanical limbs. the design has some similarities to the ravager, IMO. like the designers of the ravager took a heavy industrial exoskeleton, added weapon arms instead of load lifters, and slapped some armor on.

« Last Edit: 17 October 2012, 08:53:56 by glitterboy2098 »

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2012, 09:02:06 »
Ah, the Ravager. I love these little brutes. There's actually not that much I can add, since Fallen_Raven just described my preferred tactics for them(unsurprising, since I'm the guy he's had to face with them). The only things I can add are twofold: Don't underestimate the speed of a Ravager, especially in a city. 2MP may not look like much, but I like to use Fast Movement in early stages of a game(or any point where I don't anticipate firing) to quickly get them to a desired position, and they become positively zippy in urban environments. Secondly, that armor makes them very useful as IDF or artillery spotters, especially in areas where normal troops would be quickly slaughtered because of a lack of available cover. A Ravager can get to an overwatch position and hunker down, and can maintain that position for quite some time even in the face of counter-fire because of their insane armor. (If you're wondering if it's worth it, ask Fallen_Raven about that Ravager/Heavy LRM combo again. }:))

Oh, and One More ThingĀ©!
Able to inflict extra damage against conventional infantry, which does at least help when encountering those pesky Inferno-armed SRM troops, but the seven hex range does fall short of that of the missiles, so the Ravager is still likely to be looking at mutual destruction at best.
While true when facing other battlesuits, or vehicular SRMs, it should be remembered that conventional infantry-carried SRMs are actually limited to a 6-hex range. This doesn't provide much of a window, but there is a narrow slot where a Ravager squad can try to wipe them out(or at least soften them up) prior to taking any missile hits at all.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2012, 09:50:18 »
You people who think the Ravager is ugly are crazy.  It's beautiful.  A-10 beautiful.  Get-beat-to-hell-and-bring-the-pilot-home-alive beautiful.  One of the most beautiful battle armor (or BT combat units generally) ever.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2012, 09:51:24 »
I'll agree completely, though I'm keeping that line about the bulldog licking urine. ;D
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2012, 11:28:17 »
You people who think the Ravager is ugly are crazy.  It's beautiful.  A-10 beautiful.  Get-beat-to-hell-and-bring-the-pilot-home-alive beautiful.  One of the most beautiful battle armor (or BT combat units generally) ever.

It posesses the beauty that comes from taking a Gauss slug to the face and standing back up. It might not end up in an art museum, but it will end up in the parade back home.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 17 October 2012, 13:16:21 »
Ah, yes. The ugly duckling of the party. This ugly duckling though can make you look just as ugly, so few people like to laugh at him. While I like what our artist did for it, we were of course limited by the DA art so there was only so much lipstick we could put on this pig.

Main gun: Again, my fault. I gave Jymset two design instructions for this suit. "Max Armor" and "Two MP." He warned me this would limit the options on weapons. I'm pretty sure the original design was a medium recoiless. because one of the themese of TRO3085 was to fill in areas that had never been touched in construction, I asked him to see if a HRR would fit. "Sure, but what about the missiles?" "The Marians use rockets, right?"

Doing the write up for this one was almost as fun as the Kopis. The Kopis wins by a small margin just because I was also the designer.

-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #13 on: 17 October 2012, 13:42:14 »

This. That is what i thought about the Ravager. Nice pretty little BA.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 17 October 2012, 14:04:23 »
While true when facing other battlesuits, or vehicular SRMs, it should be remembered that conventional infantry-carried SRMs are actually limited to a 6-hex range. This doesn't provide much of a window, but there is a narrow slot where a Ravager squad can try to wipe them out(or at least soften them up) prior to taking any missile hits at all.

Thanks for noting that. The sentence didn't come out as I had it planned in my mind, jumbling up the two cases I meant to note, and I must confess that after spotting it when I reviewed it that I forgot to go back and amend it.

Against the non-PBI SRMs the Ravager is obviously in a lot of trouble, even against other Battle Armor. Outranged and typically outmaneuvered, it's in a very vulnerable situation.

Against PBIs, the point I had intended to convey was pitting the Ravager against non-Foot Infantry SRMs, although even they can get lucky if they ambush the Ravager. For the faster infantry types, they rely on their greater speed (Mech Inf) or better terrain handling (Jump Inf) to close that 1-hex gap. Jump & Motor Inf also often need situational help, such as the Ravager not wanting to leave cover or some other factor that limits their ability to keep the range open.

In my experience, the Ravager has had some really bad times, but I also recognize that in part that's due to me & my regular gaming buddies having a somewhat skewed approach to Battle Armor/infantry and it's an unusual scenario where some form of Inferno and/or area effect weaponry doesn't come into play. Against less... hmmm, fixated? lol... players, then the Ravager gets more opportunity to do its dance. Well, waddle... or perhaps awkward shuffle.

RogueK

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 17 October 2012, 14:05:51 »
Aesthetically I think it is one of the best looking assault BA in the game. It just looks like the designers didn't give any consideration to trying to make it look pretty rather than just make it effective at going out there and making the other guy die for his country. Which to me helps make it look more... "Real" for lack of better word.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #16 on: 17 October 2012, 18:29:21 »
The Ravager is one of my favourite Battle Armour suits. It's as ugly as all hell, and adorably such. One of my friends immediately compared it to Domo-Kun, which as left me with the giggly mental image of one painted brown with a giant toothy maw on its front.
I was first introduced to this little monster through MWDA, and fell in love with it's design, which suggested to me something akin to a converted Industrial frame.

To me, the Ravager's greatest asset is as a terrain denial tool. Sure they don't do fantastic damage, but they're also an obstacle. Unless you've bought a lot of infernos, they're a lot of damage that you have to wipe out; especially given that it takes an AC/20 to one-shot one into oblivion. They're more rugged then many a light 'Mech, especially in cover.

That and I love the 'low tech' feel to them.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 17 October 2012, 21:10:59 »
Ah, the Ravager. I love these little brutes. There's actually not that much I can add, since Fallen_Raven just described my preferred tactics for them(unsurprising, since I'm the guy he's had to face with them). The only things I can add are twofold: Don't underestimate the speed of a Ravager, especially in a city. 2MP may not look like much, but I like to use Fast Movement in early stages of a game(or any point where I don't anticipate firing) to quickly get them to a desired position, and they become positively zippy in urban environments. Secondly, that armor makes them very useful as IDF or artillery spotters, especially in areas where normal troops would be quickly slaughtered because of a lack of available cover. A Ravager can get to an overwatch position and hunker down, and can maintain that position for quite some time even in the face of counter-fire because of their insane armor. (If you're wondering if it's worth it, ask Fallen_Raven about that Ravager/Heavy LRM combo again. }:))
And fast movement doesn't stop them from spotting for IDF or artillery, if they used TAG it might be a different matter but as they don't

Oh, and One More ThingĀ©!  While true when facing other battlesuits, or vehicular SRMs, it should be remembered that conventional infantry-carried SRMs are actually limited to a 6-hex range. This doesn't provide much of a window, but there is a narrow slot where a Ravager squad can try to wipe them out(or at least soften them up) prior to taking any missile hits at all.
And SRM Infantry don't have as many MP as some types

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #18 on: 18 October 2012, 10:10:02 »
And fast movement doesn't stop them from spotting for IDF or artillery, if they used TAG it might be a different matter but as they don't

...I'd actually assumed that it does prohibit such actions. If what you say is true...moo hoo ha ha...
My wife writes books

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 18 October 2012, 11:57:02 »

Damn.  Now other people are feeding his malevolent psychosis? I better stock up on orbital fire.

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 18 October 2012, 12:47:22 »
Damn.  Now other people are feeding his malevolent psychosis? I better stock up on orbital fire.

"Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."
-Joel BC-

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 18 October 2012, 14:24:42 »
Simple answer, Fallen_Raven: get your own Heavy LRM Carrier, or some other combination of four LRM20s, loaded up with Mine Clearance Munitions and say goodbye to a Ravager squad in one turn. Also useful for fast and/or stealthy targets and, well, mines.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #22 on: 18 October 2012, 15:48:27 »
Or just bring a Long Tom Cannon.  Much smaller, same damage, vastly better ammo endurance than the LRMs for any purpose other than mine clearance.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #23 on: 18 October 2012, 16:10:54 »
Also, bigger boom.
My wife writes books

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #24 on: 18 October 2012, 17:32:27 »
"Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

Can't we let Herb nuke Weirdo from orbit? Then Weirdo gets nuked and Herb gets to have some fun.  :)
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #25 on: 18 October 2012, 18:56:43 »
Werido, in Texas, wearing a furry suit and holding a grease gun. All Herb's birthdays at once!

Mind you, I'm pretty confident blast and radiation won't cause Weirdo more than temporary discomfort ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #26 on: 19 October 2012, 01:29:43 »
Or just bring a Long Tom Cannon.  Much smaller, same damage, vastly better ammo endurance than the LRMs for any purpose other than mine clearance.

Someone in the area needs to paint up a company of Rommel Howitzers in rental car company colours and rent them out to Weirdo's opponents for battles. 50 cents per tank per match?

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #27 on: 19 October 2012, 08:58:17 »
I hate you all.

But I'd gladly paint those tanks myself. I feel pride when people actually prepare beforehand to face things I *might* bring.
My wife writes books

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 19 October 2012, 11:50:25 »
I hate you all.

But I'd gladly paint those tanks myself. I feel pride when people actually prepare beforehand to face things I *might* bring.

So you'll rent tanks that an kill your forces to your opponent?

Destro has got nothing on you. :)
-Joel BC-

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 19 October 2012, 12:29:36 »
I like the utilitarian look of the design. Can't help but think of Mr. Potato Head in BA or maybe Fisher Price's My First Battle Armour though.