Register Register

Author Topic: The Treaty of Tikonov and GOLDEN FORTRESS  (Read 1345 times)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
The Treaty of Tikonov and GOLDEN FORTRESS
« on: 17 October 2012, 20:12:20 »
Hi guys,

Just as a starter - I wanted to say I'm loving FM: 3085 and TRO: 3085. It's been great to finally get some hard data on the Republic era. Thank you so much for the great work.

But a quick question: both sources seem to indicate that the Republic signed the Treaty of Tikonov with the CapCon in 3085 after kicking them in the teeth and knocking the Cappies back over the border.

So forgive me if this is a stupid question that has an answer staring me squarely in the face, but what's the timings for GOLDEN FORTRESS and the subsequent fighting between the two nations?

Do the Cappies invade in 3081? If so, when do they start getting handed serious setbacks? 3084 or so? And is everything finished bar the shouting (and the wonderful "false flag" and minor raids) by the end of 3085?

Also - just a quick, related note. TRO: 3085's "notable mechwarrior" section for the Stinger lists: "Ensign Rice was part of the Magistracy contingent of a Capellan raiding force on New Hessen in 3084 and was instrumental in turning a Republic relief column before it could lift the Capellan siege of Denton."

Did the Republic own New Hessen in 3085? I thought they pulled off New Hessen in the late 70s after Pat Hampton decided he wanted the planet to stay in the FedSuns? I could be wrong, but I had assumed New Hessen was never a part of the Republic?
So what gives? Did the Republic post "peacekeepers", etc on New Hessen to deter CapCon opportunistic attacks?

Thanks in advance - and just another big thankyou to all the guys who have put out the recent Dark Age/Republic stuff!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Øystein

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Captain
Re: The Treaty of Tikonov and GOLDEN FORTRESS
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2012, 01:09:15 »
Hi,

Golden Fortress starts in late 3081, after the Republic's campaign against the Free World's League has ended (it ended in september). It is indeed the Capellan Confederation who attacks first, fearing a similar situation as what happened with the FWL and decides to pre-emptively strike and bargain from a position of strength.

The tables gets turned on them in mid-3083 when the RAF retakes Tikonov and ejects the Warrior Houses who took it a year earlier. From then it goes downhill with the CCAF and they are pushed back while suffering heavy losses.

The TRO85 entry is unfortunately incorrect. New Hessen did indeed stay with the Federated Suns, and was never part of the Republic, nor occupied by it. The Republic specifically rejected asking any of it's neighbours for help because it knew it needed to do this fight on its own, to show the rest of the Inner Sphere that it could stand on its own legs and not be dependent on anyone else for its survival. Which is also why the Republic did not negotiate a treaty with Sun-Tzu when he wanted it around 3082-83.

They needed both to forge the RAF into a solid and unified force through the fires of combat, and giving in to an attacker would have meant that the lifespan of the Republic might have been counted in only years after that as a perceived weakness might have given other powers the excuse they wanted to attack.

With regards,
Øystein
Strategic Assistant

Nav_Alpha

• Major
Re: The Treaty of Tikonov and GOLDEN FORTRESS
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2012, 20:29:17 »
Hi Øystein,

thanks for the answer!

So the mention of New Hessen is totally off? The conflict in question never happened? Or happened on another planet?

Is there any form of table that actually states which RAF units faced which CapCon units on which planets at all?

thanks again for the help

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067