Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: Shadow Cat  (Read 24426 times)

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
'Mech of the Week: Shadow Cat
« on: 26 October 2012, 05:09:03 »
Armchair Generals Quarterly - Second Quarter 3084 edition
"'Mechs in Depth: The Shadow Cat"
Ekron Viertel
Staff Writer

Technical Readout 3058 Upgrade. page 171. Wolfnet. 3070

Before the Clans came to call, the term "shadow cat" may have evoked thoughts of something sleek, swift, quadrupedal and perhaps cuddly. Unfortunately for the defenders of Luthien the later two would not be apt descriptions of the 45 ton OmniMech the Nova Cats would deploy. DCMS commanders must have been horrified by the reports coming back from observation posts. Stars of an unknown medium 'Mech were closing with incredible speed, pouring Gauss slugs into their defenses all the while. After the Invasion, "shadow cat" would be synonymous with an agile, viscous stalker and hunter.

Perhaps a sign of the respect other Clans hold for the design, or perhaps because it was nearly a half century old by the time of REVIVAL, the Shadow Cat is by far the most widespread of any OmniMech developed by Clan Nova Cat. Inner Sphere soldiers would come to associate the 'Mech with not just the invading Nova Cats, but Clans Smoke Jaguar and Steel Viper as well. As intelligence from the Clan Homeworlds began to trickle back to the Successor States it was confirmed that the Fire Mandrills and Cloud Cobras utilized the Shadow Cat. Later, whether through trade or salvage, examples could be found within the touman of every Clan in the Sphere by the time the Word of Blake launched their ill-conceived war against humanity. The extraordinarily brutal battles of the Jihad would take their toll though. Once the dust settled only Clans Nova Cats, Diamond Shark, Snow Raven, and surprisingly the Jade Falcons maintained Shadow Cats in significant numbers. As three galaxies of Nova Cat warriors joined the nascent Republic of the Sphere, so to would their Shadow Cat OmniMechs. The fleet footed medium 'Mech is no doubt a welcome addition to the RAF. Most interestingly, the Shadow Cat has even started cropping up in wealthier mercenary commands. While some of these have no doubt been sold by the ever mercantile Diamond Sharks one can't discount old fashioned battlefield salvage as a source.

By all available accounts, the Nova Cats maintained exclusive production rights to the Shadow Cat at their Barcella complex until the Clan's Abjurement. One of the few bright spots in this dark period of Nova Cat history was that they managed to pack up portions of the Barcella Beta facility and transport it to their new capital on Irece. Thus maintaining a supply of the OmniMech in their new Inner Sphere home. Since things have gone quiet in the Homeworlds, no one outside of the Clans could say what's become of the rest of the Barcella center or Shadow Cat deployment there. [Omniscient narrator: If only certain Clan Watch reports were more widely available, most in the Sphere would know that the Shadow Cat is as dead in the Homeworlds as the Clan that created it.]

The RFUM 270 XL Fusion engine powering this predator provides the Shadow Cat with an unmodified top speed 97 kph. A slow pace compared to other 45 ton OmniMechs, the integrated Myomer Accelerator Signal Circuitry enables bursts of speed approaching 130 kph. MASC can be risky but it does allow the 'Mech keep pace with faster 'Mechs like the Fenris (Ice Ferret), if only temporarily, with a significantly lighter engine. Hard mounted Model KY Booster jump jets also allow the 'Cat to quickly traverse the most difficult terrain when raw speed isn't sufficient.  [Omniscient narrator: This is one of the few instances that placing jump jets in the legs was a great design choice. Without any additional heat sinks to stuff in the legs, they're the only viable crit padding. Loosing one or two of them due to failing a MASC roll is going to hurt your performance a heck of a lot less than an actuator hit.]

All the internal components and Type 79-45 endo steel chassis are wrapped in seven tons of Compound H17 ferro-fibrous armor. Though less than 85% of the maximum coverage, the armor is still reasonably dispersed over the front of frame. Only the arms the lack the armor to take a Clan-spec ER PPC hit with just enough protection to handle a Clan ER large laser. The center torso is the only location on the entire machine that will take a class 20 autocannon round without breaching. Much more lightly armored, the rear center torso can only shrug off  an Inner Sphere medium pulse laser. The armor on the rear side torso sections is precariously thin. Should the machine fall on its back a stray rock will crack open these sections. Mind you it doesn't have to be a particularly sharp rock. Needless to say, MechWarriors at the controls of a Shadow Cat quickly learn to rely speed.

Utilizing all the weight saving materials available to the Clans at the start of the 31st Century and some reasonable design choices enable the Shadow Cat to install seventeen tons of equipment. Admittedly those bulky components do make for some cramped conditions. It's what the Shadow Cat does with that available tonnage that lend this medium OmniMech its reputation. Due to the original mandate that the machine compete with Fenris, nearly all configurations are designed with some recon in mind. Four of the six known configurations mount an active probe. Though the armament often results in a hunter-killer rather than pure scout.

Shadow Cat Prime – Taking up nearly all the space available in the right arm, the Gauss Rifle carried by the Prime forces even assault 'Mechs to be wary of the spry medium Omni'. Supplied with enough ammo for just over two and a half minutes of constant fire, a good pilot is more than capable of disabling an entire lance of medium BattleMechs before the the Rifle's bins run dry. Two ER medium lasers add an extra punch inside of 450 meters and keep this configuration reasonably affective in prolonged engagements. The enhanced sensor capabilities of an active probe combined with the Shadow Cat's innate quickness make the Prime an excellent forward component of any offensive action. Just bear in mind that the big gun has the unfortunate side affect of making the Shadow Cat Prime a high priority target.

Shadow Cat A – More so that any other variant, the Shadow Cat A is armed for long duration assignments.  Two ER large lasers provide the A solid offensive power as well as reach. The 'Mech's cooling system is enhanced by three additional double heat sinks enabling the A to run-'n-gun using the lasers without concern for negative affects. At more personal ranges the Streak SRM-6 can be brought into play. Already an efficient weapon, the designers included two tons of ammo, thirty flights worth. Once again an active probe rounds out the A's configuration. The culmination of the Shadow Cat A's weaponry is deadly 'Mech realistically limited only by the endurance of the armor and the pilot.

Shadow Cat B – Last of the configurations seen during the Invasion, the B fills the “missile boat” role common to Clan OmniMechs at that time. Each arm mounts both an LRM-15 tied to Artemis IV fire control system along with an ER medium laser. The missile launchers alone can strip nearly two tons of armor off an unwilling target up to 630 meters off. The Shadow Cat's speed can quickly bring the lasers into range resulting in the hardest hitting of all the REVIVAL era configurations. Continuous application of that firepower does make full use of all ten double heat sinks. Any heat generated from movement will build up and cause problems, albeit slowly. Four tons of reloads are shared by the two missile racks lending the B respectable endurance. Finally, an ECM suite is included with the practically standard active probe. It's worth noting that the Shadow Cat B is the only variant equipped with electronic warfare capabilities.

Shadow Cat C – At first glance the Shadow Cat C causes most observers to question the mental faculties of the technicians and warriors behind it. Two ATM-6 launcher fed by the typical three tons of missile allows for long range harassment to just past 800 meters using extended range munitions. As the C closes three ER medium lasers provide extra bite as standard and high explosive round become an option. Though without any additional double heat sinks you may want to hold off firing the third laser unless you don't mind things getting a bit warm. The Shadow Cat C takes a turn for the odd when the scouting/support aspect is fulfilled by a NARC missile beacon supplied by two tons of reloads. Yes, NARC beacons are not compatible with Advanced Tactical Missiles. While not typical of Clan combat, using the NARC beacon to support Star mates or enhance Aerospace fighter missile strikes is not completely unheard of. The Nova Cats created the Jenner IIC 3 after all. It's also worth noting that same Clan unleashed the Nova Cat B just two years before the Shadow Cat C was first spotted.

Shadow Cat H – The H is the only configuration that gives up any pretense of recon and opts for pure hunter. The right arm mounts an armor-slagging heavy large laser. Assisting the powerful yet inaccurate laser is a targeting computer.  Nestled in he left torso is an LRM-20 rack supplied with two tons of missiles. An Artemis IV fire control system is wired into the missile rack making the most of that two minutes of fire. Four tons of additional double heat sinks allow Warriors to keep firing without heat concerns outside of jumping alpha strikes. Even then such a maneuver has to be use several consecutive times before any negative impacts are felt. While the Shadow Cat H does push you to get more up close and personal than other configurations, in the hands of a smart, aggressive pilot it can be a force to be reckoned with.

Shadow Cat J – The most recently developed configuration, the J is an odd duck armed entirely with Gauss-based weapons. The active probe does make a triumphant return though. A class 20 Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle provides the main punch for this Jihad-era variant. Supporting the HAG are a half dozen Anti-Personnel Gauss Rifles. Affective against unarmored infantry, all six of the AP Gauss Rifles used in concert can cause nearly as much damage against hardened targets as a typical shot from the HAG. Though well equipped to combat any variety of enemy the active probe may uncover the ammo supply keeps the Shadow Cat J from prolonged engagements. The HAG carries twelve shots worth of slugs. The smaller guns share a ton of ammunition, just enough for a minute of fire with a quartet's worth of rounds available for one last volley. The results is a Shadow Cat configuration that makes short work of light to medium weight opposition, vehicles, and infantry of all stripes but has equally short battlefield endurance.

Detractors of the Shadow Cat are quick to point out that it carries slightly less armor and slower that its contemporaries in the 45 ton Clan OmniMech category, the Fenris and Grendel. That and the MASC the 'Cat relies on for speed has been known to occasionally cripple otherwise pristine 'Mechs. Murphy dictates that it happen at the most inopportune time, of course, often with disastrous results. Still, all three Omnis' are vulnerable to the range of pulse lasers that have proliferated in the armies of the Inner Sphere. Not to mention LB-X autocannons and any number of heavier weapons assisted by targeting computers. Arguably the Shadow Cat does the best job of the three balancing the competing priorities of armor, weapons, and speed. It's this balance that will likely keep the Shadow Cat in the front lines for years to come.

As always, the Master Unit List has plenty of additional data for each configuration. Camo Specs has several fine examples as well a battle ROM from the Battle of Luthien.

Getz

• Warrant Officer
Re: 'Mech of the Week: Shadow Cat
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2012, 07:11:02 »
Great article

Despite being Clan-tech, the Shadow Cat has been my absolute favouritist favourite mech ever since I first encountered it in the computer games.  Eventually I managed to salvage an almost pristine one for the table top in a Mercenary campaign when I decapitated it with a Cyclops' gauss rifle and immediately fixed it up and made it my command mech.  I've loved fast medium hunter killers ever since.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2012, 07:14:16 »
Not really a fan of this one.  Maybe it's just the anti-Smoked Jag bias I had back when I was getting into the game heavily (as it seemed to run around a lot with them) or the fact I had a huge prejudice against 'mechs that have eight armor in the head as opposed to nine. 

I know a lot of people swear by this 'mech, but I've managed to do pretty well against Shadow Cat users with Ice Ferrets, Adders, Phantoms and Vipers.  Of course, in terms of BV, it competes squarely with the Stormcrow...

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2012, 07:40:36 »
Honestly, the left and right rear torso armor is a bigger strike against the Shadow Cat for me than the head armor. Whether eight or nine points of armor, against Clan opponents any weapon hit will either: 1.) leave some armor remaining in the case of 7 to 1 damage weapons; B.) damage the internals for 10 damage weapons; or III.) take the head off entirely for 12+ damage weapons. I'll admit that with Inner Sphere opponents it does become a factor against large pulse lasers. Such is life.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2012, 09:32:31 »
I'm definitely a heavy/assault fan.  Heck I think 5/8 is warp speed.  But this is one of the mediums I really like.  6/9/6 is more like 55 ton territory but this thing can hit like a 55 tonner AND use MASC to get away like a 45 ton machine.  Plus it can jump.

I approve of this little guy!

To the patient go the spoils

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2012, 10:06:20 »
there's nothing particularly visually distinct about the Shadow cat that can be definitively traced back to any other clan omnimech. it seems to share a lot of structural components with a lot of other omnis, but nothing seems to have been simply pulled and attached, but this may just be the mostly generic lines the Shadow Cat has.

in spite of that lack of unique "pizazz" making it stand out visually, it manages to look acceptably good. it's compact and has several prominent guns giving it an aggressive, dangerous feel. looking like something that was designed to go into battle and make the other guys die for their country. it actually very strongly resembles the Mechwarrior 4 inexplicable design change for the Hellhound, so now i know where i'm 'bashing that thing from (i guess i'll have to come up with a Shadow Cat H for that when i get the model....)
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2012, 10:08:56 »
I have always loved the Shadow Cat, especially the A. I have always liked the balance of speed, armor and guns, and also how most of the variants are long range focused. I like fast mechs with long range guns, such as the Packhunter or Viper B, and to me the Shadow Cat can perform a similar role, despite being slower that the aforementioned mechs. It really is a shame to me that the Ghost Bears do not use this mech, I always thought it would be a good complement to the rest of our medium mech force.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2012, 10:42:53 »
I didn't say it was a rational prejudice  :D

I also like the faster designs as they are, well faster.  The Shadow Cat has it's uses, I guess it's just never lined up factionaly for me (similar to the Falcon and other Nova Cat 'Mechs.)
« Last Edit: 26 October 2012, 10:44:39 by Savage Coyote »

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2012, 10:47:21 »
I didn't say it was a rational predjudice  :D
I would never claim that mine are rational either.  ::)

I'm in the same boat to an extent. There's plenty of perfectly good Clan machines that I've only taken for a ride one or two times due to being mostly used by HW Clans and what not.

blitzy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2012, 17:38:54 »
I just love these things.  I ran a trial of position in one once, and between myself and another person, we cleaned the entire field meant for five, and out of all the ammo on variant b missed 2 missiles the entire game (missiles, not salvos).  Really hot dice that night.
"..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness."  -Ruri Hoshino

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #10 on: 26 October 2012, 20:37:55 »
Nice article  O0

What can I say - this ranks as one of my favorite Mechs period not just Clan Mechs or OmniMech but all time greats.

Running around the back field of a heavy formation pouring gauss or large laser fire into assault level opponents is so much fun with this guy.  They can try to hit you but good luck.

Only real criticism from me is there's not really a PPC or AC variant but it being an OmniMech there's lots of fun to be had with it.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #11 on: 26 October 2012, 21:34:46 »
A nice little design which has had the side effect of shoving the Grendel into the background - both 45 tonners introduced in the same TRO, but one has a substantial media presence and the other... doesn't.

I actually personally prefer the Dark Age redesign for looks, but regardless, it's a great little 'Mech.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2012, 05:44:57 »
Yeah, i'm missing that PPC variant too.
In fact, you can replace the Gauss of the Prime with an ER-PPC and enough heatsinks to keep the same level of oversinked (7, and yes, they all fit), and add an ECM on top!
You know, "learning the lessons of Tukkayyid" and all that.

Though personally i'd use two DHS less for a TC and a still very comfortable heatcurve. Costs you less than 500 BV more *cough*

Of the canon configs, the A is the most interesting for me, though again i'd love a TC in there (guess i'm a closet Scorpion).
Downgrading the Streaks (and i love Clan Streaks btw) to a four rack with one ton of ammo would keep the same endurance of "Nearly Forever" and give me the weight.

The J looks like fun, Metalstorm-upgraded Bun-Bun style fun, and prolly has PBIs running faster than a Firestarter, but that ammo endurance is a joke.

In the end i actually prefer the Grendel or even the Ice Ferret, 6/9/6 was already standard for a 45 tonner during the succession wars, i'm an armor junkie, and the only MASCed Mech i can live with is the LCT-6M...

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #13 on: 27 October 2012, 06:48:51 »
A nice little design which has had the side effect of shoving the Grendel into the background - both 45 tonners introduced in the same TRO, but one has a substantial media presence and the other... doesn't.

I actually personally prefer the Dark Age redesign for looks, but regardless, it's a great little 'Mech.

Of course we homeworld fans are left with the ugly duckling Grendel while those of you who bailed to the big tainted sphere get to keep the Shadow Cat.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #14 on: 27 October 2012, 08:10:09 »
Don't knock the Grendel too hard.  It's a little slower than the Ice Ferret and the Viper, but it's got more podspace than either one (even with the Ice Ferret's extra pair of DHS) and more armor than the Viper while keeping the jets.  I haven't used it that often but I like a lot of what I see when I look at it.  I'm not too sure on some of the configurations, though.

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #15 on: 27 October 2012, 09:16:06 »
I rather have a Grendel than a Shadow Cat.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #16 on: 27 October 2012, 10:44:47 »
I'd prefer the Cat but will readily admit the Grendel, especially the Prime, is a nasty piece of work.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #17 on: 27 October 2012, 12:17:58 »
I'd prefer the Cat but will readily admit the Grendel, especially the Prime, is a nasty piece of work.

Both machines really do the same thing.  It was odd that they were both in the same TRO.  I'd prefer the Cat but since the Grendel plant is on Arcadia I'll like for faction fluff if nothing else.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #18 on: 27 October 2012, 12:54:03 »
The Grendel just has some turds for configurations; there are some nice things you can do with it if you get a chance to customize, but I've never been overly impressed as the "good" configurations roast the pilot alive.  Still like the look and idea though.

Terrion

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 27 October 2012, 21:00:39 »
I haven't played it outseide MC2, but it made a wonderful heavy scout in that game.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 27 October 2012, 22:37:35 »
I've always been fond of the idea of the Shadow Cat (quite likely because MW4 was my introduction to the universe, and it also features prominently in MW3 and MC2, but I've never liked the mech much in the canon boardgame.  Part of that is sharing Savage Coyote's prejudice for designs with less than 9 head armor, but I also have never been fond of most of the configs.  The Prime is nice, but I dunno, boring and uninspired somehow.  The A (and to a lesser extent the C) I like, but all the others, no thanks.  This might have something to do with MW3, where the Gauss rifle never seem to stand out for me.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #21 on: 27 October 2012, 23:49:21 »
I like, but don't love, the Shadow Cat.  Its a very powerful little bugger for a low end fast medium, with a strong emphasis on range that serves it very well.  But, I prefer my fast mechs with jump jets, as I prefer to run in broken terrain with more cover.  While a Shadow Cat can get that +4 TMM, it has to be fairly open, which exposes it to a fair bit of return fire that I don't really enjoy.  So, I tend to fall into the Grendel (Mongrel) camp, despite the smaller war load, since I fell like I can employ it more freely. 

Naturaly, the Shadow Cat A is the one I tend to take the most advantage of, since it has a lot of range to mitigate its 'slowness' and yet with the SSRMs the power still grows as it closes, which I like.  I don't prefer the Prime, since it seems a bit under powered for a mech with that sort of pod space, but since it runs cold its actualy a fine infighter, jumping and shooting constantly.  Though I don't use it nearly enough, I actualy really like and respect the B, since Clan LRMs are good enough to use as main line weapons and the B ends up looking a lot like the Archer 2K, which is my favored Archer, but a lot faster. 

I don't prefer the C or H (even though its similarities to the Mad Dog and Timber Wolf Hs that I do like should lead me to like it more), and I've never used the J though I don't like look of it at first glance.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #22 on: 28 October 2012, 13:11:47 »
It's hard for me to say I love the Shadow Cat.  But I would be lying through my teeth if I said I didn't like it.  It's a solid mech, and useful in almost any situation.  Pair it with a Stormcrow and you've got a lance killing combo.  It's maneuverability is where it really shines to me. 

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 28 October 2012, 14:15:57 »
Where I think I'd like it the most is not in a light/medium formation (even though 6/9 at least matches some other nasties like the Star Adder and Stormcrow), but as part of a heavy formation providing a fast probe and/or ECM (the B is the one that I've used the most in this role!) Pair it with a point of Elementals and it's a solid asset to any Heavy Star. Plus, if Zel is off the table, those twin LRM-15s can exploit holes its bigger buddies may have opened up.

Of course, with the houserules at my table ECM and Probes are NECESSITIES, and this little guy is one of the few canon Omni designs that mount both.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #24 on: 28 October 2012, 23:26:44 »
All I can say is...  the Shadow Cat is one hell of a 'Mech.  If MASC isn't your thing then you're not going to like it.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #25 on: 29 October 2012, 00:27:53 »
aside from the sheer awesomeness that is the primary config, the shadowcat suffers from the problem that you can go down 15 tons and duplicate most of its combat utility with an Uller, or up 10 tons and utterly outclass it with a Stormcrow.

it also has to deal with the fact that the primary config is just so effective. aside from roleplay type situations, there is little reason to look at the alternate configs, since they all seem lackluster compared to the primary. if you actually use them, you realize that while they may be quirky, they aren't bad.. but unlike many other Omni's, the primary config is the one that really gets and holds your attention.

the A config is a fairly effective harrasser.. it lacks the sheer headcapping punch of the prime, but the Energy weapon + Streak combo means you can run and gun all day long.  (and t be honest, i've sometimes wondered if the Shadow cat A wasn't the inspiration for the Uziel UZL-2S, which boasts comparable non-MASC mobility and firepower..)

i generally avoid the other configs. i'm not a fan of LRM boat configs on a small chassis, and as much as i like ATM's, the C config's NARC is really an odd choice that invariably just ends up useless for me. i haven't tried the HAG model yet, though it looks to be an update to the Prime..though the lack of any sort of non-ammo backup weapon option really bugs me.

btw, i have to say.. the IWM figure is downright ugly. i have two (because i like the mech, and they were on sale in the store i found them), but compared to the awesome TRO image, the IWM mini looks like the torso had an unfortunate run in with a dropship conveyor.. i'm tempted to paint roadkill tire treads over the top of it.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #26 on: 29 October 2012, 00:45:12 »
Both machines really do the same thing.  It was odd that they were both in the same TRO.

It gets even more curious if you recall both were introduced in The Black Thorn scenario pack (alongside the Kingfisher and Shootist).

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #27 on: 29 October 2012, 02:24:21 »
The Shadow Cat is a fun 'Mech to run. In an engagement against Inner Sphere targets (dirty dishonorable freebirths  ;)), a pair of B variants and an A to back them up are a vital part of any Striker Star that I'd run. Round it out with a Nova Cat A and a Kingfisher Prime, and you've got a nasty little surprise for anyone who wants to break zellbriggen.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #28 on: 29 October 2012, 07:52:11 »
Just to add, if the DA fluff is any indication, the Shadow Cat's going to be around for a long time.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #29 on: 29 October 2012, 08:01:52 »
Hence the last sentence. (Aside from the CSO and MUL links.)  ^-^

Register