Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: DOL-1A* Dola  (Read 8369 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: DOL-1A* Dola
« on: 03 May 2013, 16:19:41 »
’Mech of the Week: DOL-1A* Dola

Dola. Apparently protective spirits that embody fate, so a cross between guardian angels and entities like the Greek Fates or Norse Norns. Namesake for a 30-ton BattleMech designed to act up-close to disrupt enemy communications and to be maneuverable enough to avoid being destroyed while doing so.

It also has elements that make me wonder if the designers watched a few too many Hong Kong action films.

When Olson’s Rangers betrayed the Capellans and sacked the Shengli Arms factory on Victoria, among the numerous casualties was the entire Yu Huang production line. Rather than dwell on this loss, Shengli Arms decided to build an entire new line to produce a rapid-response skirmisher.

This decision was doubtlessly made easier by the knowledge that House Liao still had the ability to produce all the Emperors and Pillagers they desired.

The first experimental prototype showed itself in 3079. This machine was built to push the envelope and see what some of the newer technologies (experimental and otherwise) could potentially do. As such, it may have pushed a bit too far. Built around a composite frame, the DOL-1A Dola uses a 240-rated extralight engine, along with eight jump jets to match the speed and maneuverability profile of the venerable Spider. For increased weight savings, an extralight gyroscope, and a small cockpit were also utilized. Six tons of light ferro-fibrous armor were used to give the design 96% of maximum protection, laid out in a 9, 14/6, 10/4, 10, 12 pattern (head, center front/rear, side front/rear, arms, legs). Underneath the cockpit, an Angel ECM was installed to help disrupt a foe’s ability to both target the Dola and their ability to communicate. Two extended medium lasers are mounted in the left arm, while a massive medium-class vibroblade is held point-down in the right hand. While active, this blade can hit with the force of the hatchet wielded by the Nightsky. When inactive it hits like a standard sword of its weight. Ten double heat sinks struggle with the heat output, at least while the blade is on.

While the -1A proved to be a good concept, testing revealed one serious flaw: novice pilots were as likely, if not more so, to kill themselves as the enemy. Fragile internal structure just does not like wear-and-tear. So the production model, the DOL-1A1, dealt with these flaws before entering service in 3082. The gyro, internal structure, and cockpit were all replaced with standard models. Standard ferro-fibrous was used to armor the design, resulting in the loss of one point of protection to the chest and each leg. The ECM suite is now located in the center torso. The vibroblade was also replaced with a standard sword. Frankly, if the heat load hadn’t dropped below the heat sink capacity, I’d be a bit more annoyed at the lack of TSM. I will also note a slight quirk in the design: the sword is jettison-capable. This does make me wonder if you can jettison while moving the arm. (For best effect, into an enemy ’Mech’s throat/cockpit.)

There is one production variant, noted in the Technical Readout as the DOL-1A2. This design mounts heavy ferro-fibrous, giving the point back to the chest. The ECM has been swapped for a TAG unit, and the sword swapped for a small vibroblade. While active, this weapon can hit a hard as the sword on an un-primed Spatha. (Un-primed = without the TSM active.)

Using one requires a mix of general light ’Mech tactic and insanity. Based on the description in Tech Readout: Prototypes, numbers of this design were given to just such units. Anyway, this means keep your movement modifiers high, strike quickly, get out. The first two variants have the ability to turn off C3 networks and interfere with Streak systems and other high-end electronics. They are also some of the few designs that can interfere with Bloodhound. On the other hand, the last variant is more suited to lighting someone up with their laser pointer and let the artillery and bombs fly. In the odd situation where you are given one of each variant, I would suggest putting the best pilot in the -1A, since this will limit your tendency to fall, and if you do decide to hit with your melee weapon you will have a better chance to inflict serious damage to like-weight designs.

Fighting one starts with standard anti-light tactics. This includes lots of pulse lasers, targeting computers, or autocannons with precision ammunition. If you have units with similar speed, stalking the design from range (don’t enter range 1) is also a good idea. About the only light melee designs I might consider playing action hero with are the TSM Scarabus and the Mjolnir. Both of those designs can hit very hard. Of course, if he moves close enough for, say, your Berserker to reach melee, don’t hesitate. There is something satisfying about pretending to be the Hulk and smashing something with a big weapon. And as always with these designs, if you knock a Dola down take advantage of it.

This design is still new enough not to have made many memorable actions in BattleTech history. This also means there is a chance for many more variants to appear. And based on what I recall about the Age of Destruction storyline, the Capellans might have found an effective military for the first time I can recall. (Seriously, there are players I know who have said that but for the Word of Blake Jihad, the Capellans would all be “citizens” of the Federated Suns by now.)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Re: ’Mech of the Week: DOL-1A* Dola
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2013, 23:39:30 »
I don't know why, but I really like this design.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2013, 00:10:19 »
Its kind of an odd design. The only thing that really sets it apart from the venerable Spider is the Angel ECM suite. Its a good unit to deploy the Angel ECM, but I'm not sure if it can do enough otherwise. Sure, it may disrupt enemy communications, but is it just going to be run to ground by designs like the Osiris?

Atleast the production models aren't as flimsy as the original prototypes.

I wonder if eventually we're likely to see a recon model to go with the ECM.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2013, 00:40:22 »
i'll level with you here, this is a design that was betrayed by the art style. it needed a neck, and a less bulgy torso to do what they wanted in terms of looks. the helmet-styled head armor looks awful sunken into the torso like that to me, and makes me think it was bashed in the head with a tree. the adjustable wing pods are interesting, but their placement on the top of the torso bulking the shoulders out seems a little awkward.

the vibroblade is being held oddly too. i'm assuming it's adjustable according to the pilot's preferred attack motions, but i'm just making assumptions for the sake of it. really, this was just the wrong artist for this job and the result was a 'mech that looks somewhat poorly assembled*.
(*okay, it actually IS poorly assembled since the far arm and wing joint are moved forward to show the details. but it's a picture so it's only looks unless the modeller actually tries to duplicate that screw up)

the design itself actually looks pretty good to me as a headhunter of retreating targets of importance. you can't likely outrun it, you can't pick it up on sensors easily, and it has the ability to hit much harder than it has a right to. the fluff about it being for defensive work makes me wonder what cappellans consider defending.....i suppose it works to stop units from making lightning strikes with light units and to provide cavalry with flanking units well enough.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Akira213

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2013, 01:15:32 »
...When Olson’s Rangers betrayed the Capellans and sacked the Shengli Arms factory on Victoria, among the numerous casualties was the entire Yu Huang production line...

sry, a bit off topic: where is that information from?
thx.

« Last Edit: 04 May 2013, 01:28:25 by Akira213 »
"What should I want in heaven when all my best friends burn in hell..."

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2013, 01:20:10 »
I love the Dola in both art and stats. When the mini becomes available I plan on using a few in my Tau Ceti Lancers force.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2013, 03:34:19 »
sry, a bit off topic: where is that information from?
thx.

The Dola's own writeup in TRO: Prototypes (pp. 96/97), I'd think. It's pretty much all there save perhaps the exact location of the sacked factory, and since the Dola is listed as being primarily built on Victoria that's at worst as good an educated guess as any. (I haven't much kept up with recent storylines, so it's possible that there's more information about the event in other books.)

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2013, 08:26:47 »
I really like the Art of this one.
It might as well be a celestial.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2013, 17:17:33 »
The Dola's own writeup in TRO: Prototypes (pp. 96/97), I'd think. It's pretty much all there save perhaps the exact location of the sacked factory, and since the Dola is listed as being primarily built on Victoria that's at worst as good an educated guess as any. (I haven't much kept up with recent storylines, so it's possible that there's more information about the event in other books.)

Pretty much.

Akira213

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2013, 04:59:07 »

thx..
I'm looking for the exact year when that happenend (for a personal BT project of mine), but it seems thats not published by now.
"What should I want in heaven when all my best friends burn in hell..."

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2013, 15:04:27 »
For all intents and purposes it's a Spider with a new set of clothes.

Looks cooler though.
I have spoken.

Comedian

• Corporal
  • The Artist formerly known as Comedian
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2013, 16:08:35 »
For all intents and purposes it's a Spider with a new set of clothes.

Looks cooler though.

....and has a sword.
Making it more dangerous in a melee.
Listen to your inner Lyran.
Take a Assault Mech!

Yes I was on the old boards.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2013, 16:41:05 »
"All the better to stab you in the back with, my dear!" :D

Though to be fair, on the Dola the sword does feel a bit off to me. A cutting edge (no pun intended) 30-ton high tech design apparently destined for mass production, getting equipped with a melee weapon one would more expect to see on some eccentric custom or repair job or at the worst on a machine that at least has the mass to be a proper brawler? Huh. Well, I can't deny it gives it character, I suppose.

The vibroblade-equipped variants pack a meaner melee punch, of course, if now at the cost of actual heat. I'm actually not so happy with the way vibroblades were implemented (the whole "three distinct sizes instead of a continuous spectrum" thing coupled with the fact that for a 65+ ton 'Mech a small vibroblade makes a better sword than a sword even if it's never turned on), but that's not specifically an issue of the Dola itself, and the 1A2's TAG is bound to come in handy time and again. (Ideally I'd want to pair it up with a 1A1, of course -- one does the spotting, the other keeps the enemy C3 from returning the favor...)

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2013, 00:08:39 »
A cutting edge (no pun intended) 30-ton high tech design apparently destined for mass production, getting equipped with a melee weapon one would more expect to see on some eccentric custom or repair job or at the worst on a machine that at least has the mass to be a proper brawler?

kids like swords. green recruits are like kids.  having a toy will distract them from the matter of probably dying until they're already on the field and fighting, where their best bet at surviving is following orders. it works pretty good to me. 8)
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 06 May 2013, 10:29:04 »
It's also like carrying a Chinese Dao, so it probably has more of a "totem" feel to it than a full-on weapon.

I really like the Dola as a result- it's an odd scrapper that while making some odd choices in weapons, definitely has a unique feel to it.  I'm glad it didn't become another Spider clone.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Comedian

• Corporal
  • The Artist formerly known as Comedian
« Reply #15 on: 06 May 2013, 10:30:28 »
I know it amazes some people but even light Mechs sometimes fight other Light Mechs in melee combat.
And in a Area where the modifiers are too bad to use a gun/ laser it can do no real harm.
(Especially if you use the not quite legal upper torso Table for Punch/Sword attacks like my group did /does.)
« Last Edit: 02 May 2022, 21:42:13 by Comedian »
Listen to your inner Lyran.
Take a Assault Mech!

Yes I was on the old boards.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #16 on: 09 May 2013, 01:42:34 »
This mech needs a sign  that says "Not a Celestial Mech Honest!" Darn good scout and scout killer though, both tough and squishy thanks to its weak structure but small components.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Register