Author Topic: Report No 0571/Zeta - Clan Mech 'Blood Kite'.  (Read 5608 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Report No 0571/Zeta - Clan Mech 'Blood Kite'.
« on: 28 November 2013, 01:07:18 »
Relayed through Agent Epsilon 513 via Caph

I appologise for the length of time between my reports, stuck out here in the Clan Homeworlds means that I don't have anything like ready access to a HPG.  Not much to report this time round, mainly Clan social practices and information about the various Castes on social matters, it greatly supprised me that they have been able to get their hands on and allow to be watched that Cartoon about the 1st Somerset Strikers, although the Warrior's view it as insulting the Labour caste that have watched it and i've spoken to find it to be a comedy and caracture than a childs programme.

See Attached files 01 - 09.

One bit of interesting information though about a mech I'd not seen before.  A contact and friend in the Diamond Sharks got talking about a shipping run that was made to the Blood Spirits, and he'd managed to sneak a few pictures. One of which was a mech overseeing security for the trade envoy and by Blake's hairy arse it was an ugly one.  Intrigued I managed to scan it and studied it in my quarters as well as ask a few pertinent questions like its name and weight and then extrapolated from there.

It is apparent that the Blood Spirits are a very resource poor Clan, definately a third rate one that my contact felt could be facing extinction, because of their weak financial position they tend to use cheap and reliable components on their mechs rather than more extravogant weapons and the Blood Kite is definatly an example of this.

At 85 tonnes its a medium sized Assault Mech and is apparently built round an endo-steel skeleton, the only concession to 'high technology' incorperated into the design.  No advanced armour and a bog standard 225 engine give it a max speed around 54 - 58 kph although a trio of jumpjets were visible in the picture so this ugly brute can indeed jump.
As it's an assault mech I can imagine it is well armoured but I have no exact figures available (15 tonnes of standard plate.)

Armament is clearly built for long range engagements and my contact said that the Kite had deep ammo bins (2 tonnes a peice), with the missiles for the trinity of Type XV Longbow LRM 15's being cheap and easy to produce, ideal for a resource poor Clan.  The other weapons too some idenitfying, the three large energy weapons had me stumped at first.  The bore of the weapons is excedingly large which first made me think they were an older mark of ER PPC, but the weight calculations didn't add up unless the Blood Kite has paper thin armour for its size.  The short barrels also had me concerned that the Clans had copied our Snub-Nosed PPC's but this weapon system has not been adopted by the Clans.  They are actually ER Large Lasers, the three Series 7K mod 4's are older weapons with less lasing crystals to focus the beam and instead are more a case of brute force and the use of a short and 'fat' beam, its an older mod of the standard 7k that's out of production with almost all other Clans but they are still more heat efficient than Inner Sphere ER Large Lasers and the 'fat' beam does not loose coherency due to the power behind it, giving it the same range as the other 7K's.

For short range work there's a trio (what is it with this mech and weapon grouping's three strong?) of SEP SRM 4's, unremarkable by Clan standards but far lighter and more effective than any Inner Sphere SRM-4.

Close study of the photo my contact took indicates a large cooling system on the Blood Kite, and whilst I doubt it could fire everything its got without problems it certinally has the cooling to fire its lasers without any heat build up, again I have no direct numbers or data without a long and risky investigation that would not bare fruit as I doubt we will see the Blood Spirits in the Inner Sphere any time soon.  (The Mech has 21 double Heatsinks).

Asthetically it has to be one of the most ugly mech's ever produced, probably a sign of the Blood Spirits poor resources as most Clan Mech's are far more sculpted and incorperate their weapons far more subtly than this behemoth.  I've also attached my report on Worker Caste practices and other matters.

<The report goes on about social media in Clan Space as well as other non-related tidbits, whilst we appreciate the Agent's report's please let him know not to waffle so much next time he contacts us.>

« Last Edit: 28 November 2013, 01:18:43 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

drakensis

• Lieutenant
Re: Report No 0571/Zeta - Clan Mech 'Blood Kite'.
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2013, 04:09:06 »
Ah the Blood Kite. Very much a favourite of mine.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2013, 04:56:21 »
An impressive machine but OH BLAKE! MY EYES! ZE GOGGLES! THEY DO NOTHING!  And what did ye think of the review style?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

blitzy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2013, 10:30:26 »
I liked the idea behind the Blood Kite.
"..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness."  -Ruri Hoshino

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2013, 12:05:59 »
There is beauty in its efficiency. While the mech in itself may not be a thing of pure beauty it's still well crafted . The mini isn't exactly like the art, and i wish it were, and propper size for an assault but it still captures the feel of it.

The weapon systems were specifically designed around cheap but effective parts. There is a reason that when there is a poll asking which is the best second line clan mech people vote this one at the top, even saying that the only reason its not one of the best is because it's not an omni. Brutal and efficient ,perfect for a resource strap strapped clan that would have survived if not for orbital bombardment.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2013, 13:24:24 »
Writeup was really 'meh'; the segment of the ER Large laser needed more punctuation and was a bit too long.

The Blood Kite ain't just one of the best second-liners; it's probably one of the best.  No 'mech in the Inner Sphere or the clans has such utility and sheer toss-at-anything ability as the Kite, and I will gleefully shove it into any star that I possibly can.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2013, 13:33:11 »
I got no problem with the looks.
It's pretty honest about what it does :P
Great second line mech from the stats of it, and a decent article.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2013, 15:22:00 »
Hands down a top 3 clan battlemech. 

To the patient go the spoils

Dark_Falcon

• Warrant Officer
  • Over, under, or through.
« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2013, 15:45:24 »
I got no problem with the looks.
It's pretty honest about what it does :P
Great second line mech from the stats of it, and a decent article.

The only problem being that it left out the Blood Kite 2.  Yes, the 2 gives up an LRM launcher and all of its SRMs, but three ER PPCs make for a devastating punch, not to mention three changes at a head-cap.  #P
To the utmost!

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #9 on: 28 November 2013, 22:29:59 »
Thing is a thug plain and simple.  I hate fighting against them and love using them. 

When I have used them and am playing spirits, it's fun to also mix and match variants that go along with the theme of ERLL's, LRM-15's and SRM4's.  When you have a Stooping Hawk with an ERLL and some LRM's, a Kingfisher with a ton of ERLL's and the Blood Kite, you get a lot of ranged throw weight at silly ranges.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 29 November 2013, 03:52:52 »
Little story:

I had a Blood Kite sitting at the top of a cliff raining fire down on an advancing Inner Sphere company. Said company decided to take a risk and advance under water where I couldn't shoot down at them.

This worked out for them - we were under double-blind so I didn't know where they were until two of them popped out of the water and attacked at close range.

Unfortunately for them, the lighter of the pair came out right underneath the Blood Kite's position. I think it was a Locust so it shouldn't surprise you that when the BK jumped down next to it and opened up with all three lasers and all SRMs that it was overkilled spectacularly. (Ammo boom, engine boom, at least two limbs gone...)

The other Mech was in shallow water, got hammered one of my other 'Mechs and failed a PSR but didn't die from the fall.

Well now I knew something was down there so I jumped the Blood Kite again into Level 2 water (facing a Level 1 water hex so that I could get its weapons back into play above water easily). Needless to say this cooled the BK down (needed after last round) and did absolutely no favours to the light/medium lance still lurking in the water.

Among the many, many good things about a Clan ER Large Laser is that it works underwater.

None of that Lance made it out of the water but I like to believe that the Blood Kite stomped grumpily out and reported: "Once again I have destroyed an unworthy target."
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #11 on: 29 November 2013, 08:30:45 »
The blood kite... the grumpy cat of the clans..
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 29 November 2013, 11:03:10 »
This is the reason some OmniMechs have TWO AMS systems.  8)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #13 on: 01 December 2013, 22:42:48 »
The Blood Kite is the mech par excellence! Capable of doing tremendous damage at long and medium ranges and even outfighting most 100-tonners! Add to that the superior Clan Blood Spirit MechWarrior and you have a mech worth double its weight on the Battlefield. I find it one of the Few Clan mechs I will take if I have the opportunity to do so and with no need for that silly "Omni" technology!

I still remember a game were I was using one on a relatively open map with random Gunnery and Piloting. Think I ended up with a 3 and 5 respectively. Got hammered for two turns by a Uller and a Hellbringer and it seemed I couldn't hit anything. Then the Missiles all seemed to hit and I couldn't roll lower than a eight for number to hit. By turn six I had lost an arm and had paper thin armor everywhere else but the Uller was dead to laser fire and the Hellbringer was done by being critted to death!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #14 on: 05 December 2013, 14:08:21 »
Really want to mess with someone?  Throw this star on the table: Bane 3, Scylla 1, Bloodkite 1, and a pair of Grizzlies.  You will quickly find out how much your opponent knows about the Battletech universe.  They are all a little obscure and together they can decimate just about anything.  They are ammo dependant, but secondline gear is meant to stay near supply anyway.

235 LRMs in one turn will make you take notice... not to mention a couple gauss slugs and some LL beams coming in behind the rain.

To the patient go the spoils