Author Topic: Rim Worlds Republic Military RMG-5G Rampage  (Read 8338 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Rim Worlds Republic Military RMG-5G Rampage
« on: 05 December 2013, 03:41:34 »
Background

A Rim Worlds designed Assault Mech and oddly for the Inner Sphere it was a design unique to that sector of Space and saw no use with house forces, possibly because it was a 'inferior Periphery' design and is utterly extinct in modern times.  The design was upgraded throughout it's life giving birth to two Variants of which the 5G was the most modern when it was equipped with SLDF level equipment following the Amaris coup.

Design

The Rampage for all the world in terms of armament is like a larger Zeus with a slightly different layout thanks to its extra tonnage.  As with the Dragoon and older Phoenix mechs the Rampage shows a good touch at mech design amongst the Rim Worlds who seemingly knew how to design good mechs.  Heavily armed for the time (and even by todays standards its not a light weight) and exceptionally well armoured with 16 tonnes of armour the Rampage was a formidable opponent to face.  Whilst the original machines were slow at 54kph the 5G could hit 64kph and faster still thanks to its MASC system.

Variants

2G - The original hull design the 2G sets the tone for the Rampage family in terms of armament.  Armed with a AC-10 and Large Laser as its main punch and a LRM-10 for long range work you can see my comparison to the early marks of Zeus mechs.  For close range work two medium lasers, a machine gun and flamer completed the payload.  A pilot would have to juggle the heat load as the 2G only featured 10 standard heatsinks and had a maximum speed of 54kph.

4G - The first Rampage to feature SLDF technology but produced in limited numbers rather than the massed upgrades of the 5G this variant replaced its engine with a more powerful XL engine allowing for a higher ground speed.  The machine also lost one Medium Laser and its LRM-10 and ammunition.  With the tonnage freed up the 4G mounted a M7 Gauss Rifle, the same weapon as mounted on the Highlander as well as two tonnes of ammunition.  The standard heatsinks were also replaced with double strength coolers but didn't increase in number.

5G - The final variant of the Rampage and the most common one faced by the SLDF in their march on Terra the 5G was a comprehensive rebuild of the classic 2G.  The mech's skeleton was replaced with an endo-steel one whilst the XL Engine was upgraded to a AMC-340 rated one and fitted with a MASC system allowing the big machine to hit 86 kph at a sprint.  The weapons load out was also updated the old cannon was replaced with a brand new Luballin LB-10X whilst the standard large laser was replaced with a Tronel XII Large Pulse Laser.  The LRM was mated with an Artemis IV FCS whilst a trio of Streak SRM-2's now nestled in the torso.  The only remaining weapons from the 2G were the two standard Medium Lasers and the flamer whilst the machinegun was replaced with an AMS.  Thirteen double heatskinks had little trouble in managing the heatload of the 5G refit.

Thoughts and Impressions

A fearsome machine for its time the Rampage is not a mech to be taken lightly and showed once more that the Rim Worlds mech design teams knew what they were doing.  The 5G is fast, well armed and well protected on any battlefield, even if they existed in 3145 they could not be ignored thanks to their potent medium and short range punch, speed and protection. 

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: Rim Worlds Republic Military RMG-5G Rampage
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2013, 12:16:36 »
We have an old 'Mech of the Week article on the Rampage, too.

Overall, it's a bruiser.  The 2G isn't too bad for an Intro assault, although it's painfully oversinked considering its weapons load.  The other two are both worthy of respect.  The 4G's Gauss/LB 10-X combo is one I've always been a fan of on the Dragon Fire.  It also has the same MASC as the 5G does.

Gryphon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2013, 02:15:47 »
How does it qualify as over sinked when it only has the minimum it can have, and a +16 heat index?!   :o

Even bracket fire is hard to do here, what with the 8 point large laser. At best you can rely on the LRM and AC until you empty your bins, and then rely on the large laser instead, but either way, you get no significant leeway on heat here, even firing the lasers puts you at +6. Doable, but you have to be sure not to hit that particular weapon group trigger all that often.

Don't get me wrong, for an intro design I like it quite a bit, especially the looks, and the two main ammo dependent weapons both have two tons of ammo each, so that's also good.

Ah, wait, there's the problem, marauder648 has it listed as having 10 heatsinks, while the actual mech has 10 ADDITIONAL heatsinks, my bad then. So yeah, that is a bit over sinked, especially with bracket firing in play. Still, a running alpha for +8 isn't a bad thing really, right? It's not like you would go to that particular well all that often really.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2013, 02:36:23 »
Ahh didn't know about the old read up on it :s
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2013, 02:55:12 »
(1) The article's title is misnamed. The designation is RMP-5G, not RMG-

(2) The -2G isn't over-sinked in the least.

a. With TacOps Rapid Fire Machine Gun rules, it can run and alpha strike all of its armament (minus the Flamer) without generating a +5 [Running (2) + AC/10 (3) + Large Laser ( 8 ) + 2 Medium Lasers (6) + Machine Gun (6 max) = 24 or +1 heat].

b. It has a redundant LRM-10 bin for alternate munitions like Thunder mines or Swarm missiles.

c. It's one of the few Intro Tech designs which could take a maximum strike of inferno munitions and not even be near the +5 barrier, given a bit of care. [Running (2) + AC/10 (3) + 2 Medium Lasers (6) + Inferno heat (15) = 26 or +3 heat] That's HUGE in competing with Star League designs; being able to force a PSR without spiking heat.

d: It can take two Engine hits and still fire its main armament with no buildup. In a comparable design from the era (TDR-5S), two Engine hits completely shuts down its primary armament. At just over 1440 BV, that's an incredible bargain.

e: The heat sinks make for easy, plug-and-play hardware upgrades. AC10 -> LB-10X, Large Laser -> ER Large Laser, LRM-10 (+Artemis IV). Still heat neutral bracketing.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2013, 03:20:52 by TigerShark »
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Flame_Draken

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2013, 14:54:50 »
That is a scary thought.

No Intro-Tech mech that I can think of off the top of my head can do that in SL era.  You would need to upgrade to double sinks to do the same weapons switch to stay anywhere near heat neutral with other mechs.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2013, 18:03:08 »
[snip]

Loch-and-Load Rampage is OP, plz nerf
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2013, 14:24:47 »
Loch-and-Load Rampage is OP, plz nerf

.... how so? unlike the SLDF other ppl have to make mechs the smart way as they cant afford to throw 100+ mechs for every single 1 of myn.

Gryphon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 07 December 2013, 19:10:53 »
I'm hoping that he was just joking...maybe I am preying for it to be a joke instead?!   :-\

It really is a pretty hefty L1 unit though, especially since they left all that beautiful armor aboard it!   :o

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 07 December 2013, 20:34:23 »
I'm hoping that he was just joking...maybe I am preying for it to be a joke instead?!   :-\

It really is a pretty hefty L1 unit though, especially since they left all that beautiful armor aboard it!   :o

Hehe he was. It's in reference to something else.

I've been using them in a campaign and we track data on wins/losses/times destroyed. After 2 months:

Code: [Select]
Name                  Games Played         Games Won       Times Destroyed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rampage RMP-2G             16                  11                3

That's a pretty good record, considering some of the other units:

Name                  Games Played         Games Won       Times Destroyed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black Knight BL-6-KNT      87                  34                17
Thunderbolt TDR-5S        105                  50                50

Win Percentage

RMP-2G: 68%
TDR-5S: 47%
BL-6-KNT: 39%

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2013, 12:28:05 »
Always liked the Rampage, I like to use it when people pull out there Unseens. Makes them sit up and ask what it is. Oh, its also possible there are Rampages still floating about, didn't the Brotherhood of Randis dig a few up from a cache?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2013, 12:42:05 »
Always liked the Rampage, I like to use it when people pull out there Unseens. Makes them sit up and ask what it is. Oh, its also possible there are Rampages still floating about, didn't the Brotherhood of Randis dig a few up from a cache?

Yeah. Unsure what model they are, however. Since they came from training caches built for the secret army (prior to 2765), they're likely a bunch of RMP-2Gs with a few -4Gs thrown into the mix. Given that Nicoletta Calderon settled for peace with Kerensky almost immediately after the declaration reached her space (February 2767), I highly doubt the RMP-5G would have made it into these caches. (It debuted in 2767)
« Last Edit: 08 December 2013, 12:50:50 by TigerShark »

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2013, 14:30:54 »
Yeah. Unsure what model they are, however. Since they came from training caches built for the secret army (prior to 2765), they're likely a bunch of RMP-2Gs with a few -4Gs thrown into the mix. Given that Nicoletta Calderon settled for peace with Kerensky almost immediately after the declaration reached her space (February 2767), I highly doubt the RMP-5G would have made it into these caches. (It debuted in 2767)

IIRC, those caches were SLDF caches, full of captured material, i do not think they were part of the "secret army" logistic part.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 11 December 2013, 15:50:43 »
IIRC, those caches were SLDF caches, full of captured material, i do not think they were part of the "secret army" logistic part.

It was a Star League Era cache, but not necessarily SLDF. After 2778, and considering the ruinous state of the army, I doubt they'd have additional equipment to store. Most Royal units were scrounging for materiel at this point, let alone SLDF Line regiments and volunteer brigades.

Zureal

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2013, 17:32:14 »
   say, random question, but if someone were to say, find, a compleatly intact rampage how hard would it be to revers engineer a complete copy?

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 11 December 2013, 18:03:36 »
Well, the main question is, would anyone want to.
It's a decent design, but those that know it's origin might shy away from a certain stigma, and those that don't might look at the stats and reverse-engineer it as a variant of a different mech.
Which would be significantly cheaper than building the mechs structure.
Well, unless they somehow find a 5G, in which case the performance might warrant interest.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 11 December 2013, 22:05:49 »
Well, the main question is, would anyone want to.
It's a decent design, but those that know it's origin might shy away from a certain stigma, and those that don't might look at the stats and reverse-engineer it as a variant of a different mech.
Which would be significantly cheaper than building the mechs structure.
Well, unless they somehow find a 5G, in which case the performance might warrant interest.

If the Clans can resurrect the Matar, then a slimy Spheroid state can dig up a Rampage. :-)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 12 December 2013, 08:56:41 »
   say, random question, but if someone were to say, find, a compleatly intact rampage how hard would it be to revers engineer a complete copy?

Ask the Combine. They needed decades to figure out the Hatchetman despite them not rotting away for centuries. Not only do you have to figure out what you need to make, you have to figure out how to make the thing that makes those things. And so on.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 12 December 2013, 13:14:11 »

You would probably be better off taking an existing chassis and modifying it to the Rampage's specs, with obvious improvements on newer tech.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 12 December 2013, 13:22:23 »
I would say that there's a good chance it could be reproduced.

The underwater production facility on Kwangjong-ni is of an unspecified manufacturer. It was recovered by the Lyrans after their occupation of the Republic. Shortly thereafter, a branch of Defiance Industries mysteriously appears where there was none before. And it produced designs familiar to the Republic. :) What a shock.

Anyhow, it's likely the plans and machinery could have been in this facility, especially if they included advanced materials the Republic wished to hide from prying, BSLA eyes.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2013, 13:26:29 by TigerShark »

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 12 December 2013, 17:44:43 »
If by "shortly thereafter" you mean two centuries, sure. But nothing made there by Defiance has resembled anything the Rim Worlds made.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 12 December 2013, 21:34:11 »
If by "shortly thereafter" you mean two centuries, sure. But nothing made there by Defiance has resembled anything the Rim Worlds made.

The Zeus debuted 12 years after capturing the plant when the war ended in 2775. The ZEU-5T debuted in 2787 and possesses a similar movement profile and similar armament profile to the RMP-2G / -4G / -5G.

According to Objectives: Lyran Alliance, these lines were opened on top of existing Republican production:

Page 18
Formerly a production center for the Rim World’s Republic,
Defiance sunk a large amount of money into finding and refitting the
submerged facilities beneath Kwangjong-ni’s Lost Sea. While not nearly
capable of the output levels of Hesperus II, these factories reportedly
boast three easily configurable production lines that recently reached
full output.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2013, 22:06:17 by TigerShark »

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 12 December 2013, 22:32:53 »

The Zeus debuted 12 years after capturing the plant when the war ended in 2775. The ZEU-5T debuted in 2787 and possesses a similar movement profile and similar armament profile to the RMP-2G / -4G / -5G.

Neither 3/5 nor 4/6( 8) is amazingly close to 4/6, especially for an 80 tonner. The weaponry...meh. The armor...not really.

According to Objectives: Lyran Alliance, these lines were opened on top of existing Republican production:

Page 18
Formerly a production center for the Rim World’s Republic,
Defiance sunk a large amount of money into finding and refitting the
submerged facilities beneath Kwangjong-ni’s Lost Sea. While not nearly
capable of the output levels of Hesperus II, these factories reportedly
boast three easily configurable production lines that recently reached
full output.

Sure, nearly 300 years after it was captured.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 12 December 2013, 22:40:07 »
Neither 3/5 nor 4/6( 8) is amazingly close to 4/6, especially for an 80 tonner. The weaponry...meh. The armor...not really.

Sure, nearly 300 years after it was captured.

It wouldn't have to be a 4/6 [8] to qualify. Viktoria Benboudaoud's personal RMP-4G stripped out the MASC, no?

Also, the plans would be in Lyran hands, wouldn't they? I don't recall reading anything about Weigel A&M being destroyed by Aleksandr Kerensky.

Zureal

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 13 December 2013, 17:04:39 »

It wouldn't have to be a 4/6 [8] to qualify. Viktoria Benboudaoud's personal RMP-4G stripped out the MASC, no?

Also, the plans would be in Lyran hands, wouldn't they? I don't recall reading anything about Weigel A&M being destroyed by Aleksandr Kerensky.

This is a good point, I personally love the rampage, at its tech lvl its a great ride and even with its "stigma" i think enough time has passed that few people remember or even know its past. Besideds, even in the dark age the "royal" rampage is still a relevant unit.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 14 December 2013, 14:01:05 »

If one dude's ride makes the apples and oranges of the 2G and 4G/5G nigh identicle to the 4/6 80 tonner armed with an LRM-15, ERLL, ERPPC, dual mediums and 13 tons of armor, then whatever works for you. I'm sure if you asked the guy who designed the Zeus 5s and the guy who designed the Rampage, I'm sure they'd say there was not intent to have them be related and FR 2765 will shed some light on the origin of the Zeus.

Considering that Defiance had to spend a bunch of money just to find the plant, it seems unlikely the Lyrans ever knew where it was, let alone if it existed or what contents the SLDF captured from it, assuming they took it somewhat intact. It seems even less likely that Defiance would have obtained it and then lost where it was.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 14 December 2013, 16:14:53 »
Considering that Defiance had to spend a bunch of money just to find the plant, it seems unlikely the Lyrans ever knew where it was, let alone if it existed or what contents the SLDF captured from it, assuming they took it somewhat intact. It seems even less likely that Defiance would have obtained it and then lost where it was.

We don't have any published information about the Republic-Commonwealth war in the 2770s. And even less about the military infrastructure the Commonwealth captured intact. Unless I'm missing a source that details which facilities were absorbed intact from the Republic?

We know that Rowe Weapons Systems continued production for the SLDF (Royal Falcon), but no other manufacturers are named beyond that point.

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 24 December 2013, 00:24:42 »
 O0 To someone putting it back into production. Great mini. solid performer. The brothers on Randis would be perfect to remove the stigma.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #28 on: 24 December 2013, 18:50:18 »
Why reverse-engineer the Rampage? Wouldn't you rather just use the Mech that Steiner build to rip it off?

Seriously, sit and look at the layout of the Rampage. Factor that much of the RWR ended up becoming Steiner holdings after the war. Then look at the Zeus. Large laser, LRM rack, autocannon, same size, even a similar look in a lot of ways.

Rampage = Zeus prototype. Don't waste time building a new version of it. ;)

(Great miniature, btw. Had a blast working on mine once I got the damned LRM arm to stay on it.)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+