Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: GRF-** Griffin  (Read 19177 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: GRF-** Griffin
« on: 07 February 2014, 02:58:12 »
’Mech of the Week: GRF-** Griffin

Griffin. A mythological creature with the head and wings of an eagle, and the body of a lion. A symbol seen on many noble crests. And one of the most iconic BattleMechs in history.

Originally designed as an assault ’Mech (quick assault, not weight class), the 60-ton GRF-1A Griffin was the eleventh BattleMech to be introduced, first appearing in 2465. Produced by Maxwell Manufacturing and built with primitive materials, this design is based around a primitive 290-rated engine, giving it a ground speed similar to the much later Panther. Three prototype jump jets were also used, which while useful, brought with them balance issues. Fourteen and a half tons of armor plate were used, laid out in a 9, 21/7, 21/6, 14, 18 pattern.  Weapons consisted of a 5-rack LRM launcher and a prototype Particle Cannon (which produced heat like that of the later extended-model versions). Eleven heat sinks try and mitigate the heat output.

Maxwell Manufacturing ran into issues when their financial officers got into some trouble. During the liquidation, Earthwerks, Incorporated bought the design, and with the advent of advanced materials, the Griffin soon found itself surpassed. However, enough of a following had been built that the designers kept it in production, though it became a 55-ton medium. In 2492, one thousand years after Columbus, the GRF-1N entered service. Built around a CoreTek 275-rated engine, the Griffin has ground speeds equivalent to its contemporaries, the Wolverine and Shadow Hawk. Five Rawlings 55 jump jets allow it to jump as far as the baseline Wolverine. Nine and a half tons of armor provide 82% of maximum protection in a 9, 20/7, 20/6, 14, 18 pattern (head, center front/rear, side front/rear, arms, legs respectively). Weaponry consists of a right arm-mounted Particle Cannon and a 10-pack LRM launcher in the right torso. Two tons of ammunition feed the missile launcher. Twelve heat sinks struggle with the heat load.

For over two hundred years this machine soldiered on, proving itself both popular and durable. However, the SLDF decided that they needed to upgrade the design. Two variants came from this. The first, the GRF-2N2 arrived in 2702, and swaps the LRM pack for twin 6-shot SRM racks. A Guardian ECM suite was added. An endo-steel skeleton and ferro-fibrous armor was used as weight-saving measures. Armor was now laid out in a 9, 27/7, 20/6, 18, 24 pattern. Eleven double heat sinks deal with most of the heat output. In 2751, the GRF-2N arrived, swapping the standard Particle Cannon for an ER model.

These two Royal variants disappeared along with the majority of the SLDF. As the Succession Wars broke out the Griffin soldiered on. Towards the end of the Second Succession War, a new variant showed up. Premiering in 2857, the GRF-1S swapped the -1N’s LRM rack for a 5-shot version. The Particle Cannon was traded for a large laser and two mediums. The remaining weight went into heat sinks, upping the total to 16.

The next variant to enter service arrived around 3020, and was an experimental testbed. Unfortunately for the GRF-2N-X, Black Widow Company dropped by and blew it up. The Super Griffin, as it was known weighed in at 60 tons, dropped the engine to a 240-rated model, mounted a medium and a small laser in addition to the Particle Cannon and LRMs, upped the armor to ten tons, laid out in a 9, 24/7, 22/6, 14, 18 pattern, and used ten standard heat sinks. It also served as the first testbed for the Federated Suns’s “freezer” double-strength heat sinks, carrying five of those. Also, it was the only known testbed for a type of improved jump jets that weighed as much as normal ones, but used a very volatile propellant (which led to the prototype’s destruction). Six of these improved jump jets were used to give the design greater mobility.

Around 3035, MechWarrior Elle Bennett joined the Fifth Donegal Guards of the Federated Suns. Customizing her Griffin, which she nicknamed “Sparky”, her variant, designated the GRF-1E, trades the LRM pack for five medium lasers, a heat sinks, and a ton of armor. Protection is now in a 9, 24/7, 20/6, 18, 20 pattern.

As newer technologies proliferated, the Griffin received two new variants, both arriving in 3049. The first, the GRF-1DS takes the original -1N and upgrades the engine to an extralight version. The Particle Cannon was swapped for a large pulse laser, and the LRM upgraded to a 20-pack. The missile ammunition is stored in the CASEd left torso. Fourteen double heat sinks deal well with the heat loads. The other, the GRF-3M differs in having a ER PPC instead of the large pulse, thirteen double heat sinks, a small laser, and a half ton more armor (9, 24/7, 20/6, 16, 18).

The next variants showed up during the Project Phoenix uproar. Two showed up in 3066. The first was the GRF-5M which dropped the LRM rack to a Size-10, and swapped the ER PPC for a light Gauss Rifle. Ammunition is in the CASEd right torso. The other was the GRF-6S, which mounts a light engine, ten double heat sinks, two extended-model medium lasers, an ER PPC, and a 15-rack LRM with Artemis IV. Armor was enhanced to maximum in a 9, 27/9, 20/6, 18, 26 pattern.

In 3067, the GRF-6CS arrived. Differing from the -6S by using an extralight engine and the addition of a Guardian ECM suite and Improved C3 unit. Twelve double heat sinks deal with some of the heat woes, and the armor is reduced to ten tons, laid out in the pattern of the -3M.

The first variant to arrive in the fires of the Jihad was the GRF-5L in 3070. This design mounts a Guardian ECM Suite, along with eleven and a half tons of stealth armor, laid out in a 9, 26/9, 20/6, 18, 26 pattern. Weapons-load consists of a plasma rifle, three medium lasers, and a 5-pack MML. Fourteen double heat sinks struggle with the full heat load.

Around the same time, a sibkin warrior named Francine earned her place in the Black Widow Company. Her Griffin at the time was a modified GRF-6S model. This model has a similar armor layout to the -5L, save one point being moved from the center rear to the front (and it being standard plate). Weapons load was a Snub-Nose PPC, three medium lasers, one rear-mounted small laser, and a 15-pack LRM with Artemis IV. Ten double heat sinks struggle with the heat output.

After the Company defeated the Blakist forces on Outreach the next year, Francine had her machine upgraded with Blakist salvage. This variant drops the Artemis IV fire-control and small laser to add a supercharger and swap the armor for laser-reflective.

The next variant arrived in 3071 as well, the GRF-5K. This variant uses a light fusion engine, upgrades the jump jets to improved models (upping the total to eight), uses a Light-class Particle Cannon, and uses light ferro-fibrous armor, laid out in a 9, 26/8, 18/6, 16, 23 pattern.

The next variant to show up is the personal ’Mech of Leftenant Natasha Ergen of the Fifth FedCom RCT during the Battles of New Avalon. The daughter of Elle Bennett, Leftenant Ergen had her mother’s machine retooled into “Sparky 2.0”. The upgrade uses a light fusion engine, upgrades the PPC and three of the medium lasers to extended models, adds a targeting computer, and uses ferro-fibrous armor in a 9, 26/10, 20/6, 18, 23 pattern.

In 3076, the GRF-4R arrived. This model uses a 330-rated extralight engine, nine improved jump jets, and ten and a half tons of armor (9, 25/8, 19/5, 16, 23). Eleven double heat sinks deal with most of the heat loads, and weapons consist of a Snub-Nose PPC, extended-model medium laser, and a 5-rack MML. 3083 premiered the GRF-4N, which uses ferro-fibrous armor in the pattern of the -1N, ten double heat sinks, wields a plasma rifle and three extended-model medium lasers, and uses a heavy-duty gyro.

A final variant showed up sometime between the 3080’s and the Dark Ages, the GRF-6S2 differs from the -6S by dropping one medium laser, swaps the LRM-rack and Artemis for a Clan 15-rack LRM without fire-control, a targeting computer and a C3 Boosted Slave unit.

Using one of these starts with being patient and for the most part protecting your right side. Several variants have an issue of losing most (or all) of their weaponry if they lose that torso. (To be fair, some of those are extralight engine designs.) For the most part, I’ve seen Griffins used more as stand-off and snipe units, assisting more close-in designs. Jump as much as needed, and use cover when possible.

Fighting one starts with trying to knock it down so it does not jump and up its to-hit numbers. Frankly, every time I’ve fought one, its ammo goes up rather quickly. Must be the GM’s bad luck… Most of the variants have ammunition to light off, the exceptions mostly being both Sparkys. So, if you can target their ammunition dumps (or Gauss Rifle) do so.

The Griffin has long been one of the icons of the game, and looks to be continuing on through the Dark Ages. It has one of the longest service lives of any BattleMechs in history. The only “3025” designs to have longer ones are the Banshee, Archer, and Orion. Among its other effects has been the Griffin IIc.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2014, 17:43:10 by Kotetsu »

Ferrosol

• Master Sergeant
Re: ’Mech of the Week: GRF-** Griffin
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2014, 06:42:22 »
Nevermind I can't read...

Anyway the griffin is a very solid medium fire support design in every era. The only Griffin I'd ever turn down is the downright terrible Griffin 5M which looks to have been designed by a complete idiot. Which in a mech with such a long history and so many variants  is a compliment that only one of them is a stinker.
« Last Edit: 07 February 2014, 06:46:29 by Ferrosol »

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2014, 08:29:44 »
You did a good job of laying out the timeline and what variant has what. But to be honest I can find a lot of that on the sarna and solaris websites. I would have enjoyed seeing more analysis on things like what roles its best suited for, intended fighting style, strengths and weaknesses, how to use a Griffin, how not to use a Griffin, etc.

I hate to sound critical, I know you put time and energy into this and make no mistake its useful information. For future  "<anything> of the week" articles I would simply suggest venturing into some of those other topic areas.

While a Battletech fan, I'm not the biggest expert on reading and interpreting an individual TRO and sizing up a machine fully. That's why I turn to Fan Articles.  :)

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2014, 18:19:19 »
Thanks for the article! The Griffin is the stuff of legends, IIRC it was banned from a megamek server.

The Griffin is, IMHO, the father of the "modern" cavalry mech. A 5/8 mover with long range weapons, some of them direct fire, like the PPC. It is better than the Dragon because it can jump and the stock Griffin, with a PPC beats the stock Dragon with an AC5. The more you stay away from a brawl, the better. Walk five and stay 6-7 hexes away from the target and you are a great threat in 3025 games.

I had a lot of troubles using it. I like brawls and close range fights and those tactics doesn't work with a Griffin. After some time (and some hard earned lessons  #P) I began to use it as a fire support mech or as a cavalry mech. Then it worked and it was a blast. Finally, one of the best tactics (approved by all veteran Banshee pilots) is to get close to an enemy after a fast run, shoot another target and kick the mech you have closer. As a 5/8 mech, you will have more tactical advantage over the plethora of 4/6 mechs and smart use of the side hit locations of kicks will allow you to do really nasty things.

Of course, the best tactic against a Griffin is to get close. With a bigger mech or a faster one with short range weapons. Chargers (don't laugh at me, test it), Phoenix Hawks, Wolverines, and Jenners are very dangerous.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2014, 18:56:28 »
I like the Griffin, its good machine that can truelly hang in there in a fight.  I for one, wasn't thrown off by having it remodelled in 3060s to become (6S base Model) new machine reborn.  The 4R refit took me by surprised in 3085, it was throw back model in sense of its weaponry, but its truely different machine.  Refitted older models became 4Rs.   It nice bruser in close-in combat situations.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2014, 22:39:18 »
The Griff has always been one of my favorites, mostly because it looked cool at first but it has served me well over the decades. With the -1N I work it like a boxer jabbing an opponent, stick and move, stick and move. Judicious use of jump jets and bracket firing has allowed thw -1N to be a royal pain to many an opponent (even when outclassed by newer tech).  The -6S is probably my favorite of the upgrades (and consequently the only one I have more than cursory experience with) because it takes what made the original work and does more of it. Leave the SRMs to the Wolverines, gimme LRMs and a PPC of some sort with some jump jets and I'm a happy Griff driver.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2014, 13:16:46 »
Something someone said about the GRF-1N is that you can jump constantly, and alternate PPC fire with LRM fire - and stay at no-heat in the end.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 08 February 2014, 16:18:10 »
I didn't care for the original design since I felt it was too standoffish but I do really love the 6S config. Balanced and effective imo.
Made by HikageMaru

Valtech

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2014, 18:25:53 »
I would agree with one of the earlier comments that this is a "standoffish"machine. In 3025 it really does conform
to the fluff as being a support mech. With the LRM and PPC you really aren't going to be closing much. Should
your fighting style be up close and personal, as many of my fellow players were waaaaaaay back in the ancient days
of yore when an autocannon came in only one flavor you might be disappointed. I always considered the jump jets
on the original to make this thing valuable despite the lack of firepower.
« Last Edit: 08 February 2014, 18:28:36 by Valtech »

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 09 February 2014, 18:33:14 »
The Griffin has long been one of my favorite mediums...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2014, 23:39:56 »
I'm not familiar with the GRF-1A, and couldn't find anything on Sarna or the Master Unit list. What's the source on it?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 11 February 2014, 04:21:59 »
I'm not familiar with the GRF-1A, and couldn't find anything on Sarna or the Master Unit list. What's the source on it?

First, there are notes in the original 3025 write-up of it once being a heavy. Then there is the intro-date which is in Era Report: Age of War. And then there is the actual designation and weight as listed in several RATs from Historical: Reunification Wars.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #12 on: 11 February 2014, 04:36:05 »
There are actually two intro dates in Age of War for the Griffin. One before the introduction of the Wasp, and one after. Was there ever any official word as to which one was right? It would seem to relate to whether this version of the Griffin might have had jumpjets.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 13 December 2014, 17:43:44 »
There are actually two intro dates in Age of War for the Griffin. One before the introduction of the Wasp, and one after. Was there ever any official word as to which one was right? It would seem to relate to whether this version of the Griffin might have had jumpjets.

They have finally clarified. And I have added the details of which above.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: 13 December 2014, 20:33:40 »
I started using the Griffin allot post Civil War, great range, firepower and mobility. The Sparky is just a nasty surprise for brawlers.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #15 on: 13 December 2014, 23:07:27 »
Where did you get that info on the 2N2 model ?

The only Royal Variant I've ever heard of is the 2N from Op:Klondike book.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 13 December 2014, 23:11:51 »
The 1S was always one of my favorite mechs in the L1 era.  It has something for every range.

The 3M is still a solid mobile fire platform.

The new/old 2N & both the Sparky models are nasty little brawlers.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 14 December 2014, 03:41:50 »
Didn't Katrina Wolf use one?
What variant did she use?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 14 December 2014, 13:16:22 »
IIC ?

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 14 December 2014, 17:05:57 »

I think Katrina got a Griffin in the Age of Destruction clicky series. No confirmation of what exactly it carried.

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 14 December 2014, 17:06:48 »
Where did you get that info on the 2N2 model ?

The only Royal Variant I've ever heard of is the 2N from Op:Klondike book.

I think it was the MUL that alerted me to it, so I asked a developer... or was it in the errata section? Anyway, they clarified what it was...

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 14 December 2014, 17:49:46 »
Something someone said about the GRF-1N is that you can jump constantly, and alternate PPC fire with LRM fire - and stay at no-heat in the end.

Agreed.  That it could remain heat neutral (till it ran out of LRM ammo) was a blessing for many an old school battle.
I always preferred Griffens to Wolverines.  One of my common upgrades to it, was to drop from 12 singles, down to 10, but make them all doubles and use the 2 saved tons to add in a pair of Medium lasers, to give a little more close in fire support, or to upgrade the LRM to a 15 pack.  Sure that drops your ammo down from 12 shots to 8, but still, alternating the LRM=PPC, means that gives you 16 rounds worth of sticking power.

The 5L version to me would have been better had they stayed with the ER PPC, rather than a plasma cannon.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 14 December 2014, 17:54:32 »
I think it was the MUL that alerted me to it, so I asked a developer... or was it in the errata section? Anyway, they clarified what it was...
Ah, I'm betting it has something to do w/ intro dates since the ERPPC is really late in the SL era.
Still, bad naming convention IMHO, how is the PPC one listed as "after" the ERPPC variant?

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 15 December 2014, 16:27:51 »
Not the only case of that, too...

RFL-3N Rifleman - 2770
RFL-3N-2 Rifleman II - 2720

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 15 December 2014, 16:39:12 »
GRF-5M Griffin

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #25 on: 18 December 2014, 22:03:14 »
GRF-5M Griffin

correct. I guess she didn't like getting too close.

Wolverine

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 19 December 2014, 18:35:29 »
One of my fav 3025 basic mechs, but I always drop the LRM-10 and its bomb and add 4 med lasers, 2 smalls and nearly max armor for a all around balanced medium unit that doesn't let you down.
J
"It's called the Awesome for a very good reason"

blitzy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 19 December 2014, 18:36:21 »
I really liked the look of the 1A and imagine that's how the Griffin II came along.
"..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness."  -Ruri Hoshino

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #28 on: 19 December 2014, 20:03:37 »
(till it ran out of LRM ammo)

I don't think I've ever had that happen.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #29 on: 19 December 2014, 22:04:05 »

Since it wasn't brought up, its came out with Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 4.  Its still in the moratorium on Sarna, its going to be in limbo for a couple months since its so new of product.

It's sweet throw back looking design.

I forgot mention it, I'm not sure if the 1A would be fun to play in though.  ER PPC heat with single heat sinks and proto-Jump Jets will be challenging ride to handle.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register