Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: Locust IIc  (Read 9386 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: Locust IIc
« on: 28 March 2014, 16:23:19 »
’Mech of the Week: Locust IIc

Locust IIc. The Clan upgrade of the iconic BattleMech. Weighing in at 25 tons, 5 tons heavier than its forebear. Created to act as a rapid scout with formidable firepower, the design was at the forefront of Clan warfare until the advent of the Fire Moth in 2874.

Even the OmniMech that can’t take a spitball is more popular with the front-liners than a solid BattleMech…

Clan Mongoose is the Clan who gets the credit for the first models. Which they used to good effect, until they pissed off the Smoke Jaguars. Which ended the typical way that you would expect when dealing with Clan Hulk Smash. Built around an endo-steel skeleton and mounting a 200-rated engine, the design had comparable speed to its forebear, the LCT-1V Locust. Four tons of ferro-fibrous armor provides 86% of maximum protection in an 8, 10/2, 8/2, 8, 10 pattern (head, center front/rear, side front/rear, arms, legs respectively). Weapons consist of four small lasers in each arm and a centerline medium pulse. Ten double-strength heat sinks provide near heat neutrality (a running Alpha puts you at 2 heat).

The Locust IIc proliferated quickly, even before the Jaguars destroyed the Mongoose. In 2837, the Jade Falcons premiered the 2 variant, which mounts a centerline medium laser and two 2-pack Streak SRMs in each arm, one ton of ammunition also being stored in each arm (and hopefully cross-fed, though if you run out of that much ammunition…). The Jaguars introduced the 3 variant in 2853, which mounts a large laser centerline, and a small pulse in each arm.

For two hundred years these three variants soldiered on. Finally, the advent of new technologies led to the next arrivals. The Wolves unveiled the 5 variant in 3060. This variant uses a centerline medium laser and two 3-tube ATM launchers, one in each arm. One ton of ammunition is also stored in each arm. Not to be outdone, the Falcons unveiled the 4 variant in 3064, which mounts a centerline medium, and three small heavy lasers in each arm. It also has twelve double heat sinks.

The Jihad came and the Clans took it as hard as anyone. Maybe harder considering the Word of Blake hated them more than anyone, and said WoBble attacks led more or less indirectly to the Wars of Reaving. The first new variant to show up arrived in 3075, the product of the Wolves and Ghost Bears. The 6 mounted twin triple-machine gun arrays in place of the 5’s ATMs. A half ton of armor was also added, bringing protection up to 8, 13/3, 9/3, 8, 11 pattern.

The Hell’s Horses produced their own variant in 3076. The 7 variant uses the armor lay-out of the original variant, and mounts three AP Gauss Rifles in each arm, with one ton of ammunition for the whole set. A medium laser is set in the centerline. All weapons are tied into a targeting computer.

The Ghost Bears kept tinkering, and apparently caught sight of a LCT-5M Locust, because in 3084 they unveiled the 8 variant. This variant starts by upgrading the engine to a 300-rated extralight version, making it able to keep up with the aforementioned Locust. Armament is a single centerline large laser.

The final variant, the 9, arrived in 3085. The product of the Jade Falcons, it appears they let a few of their loony-tunes out, as it mounts a 350-rated superlight (XXL) engine (giving the design ground speed equal to a LCT-6M without MASC), an extralight gyroscope (nominally Inner Sphere tech), and Inner Sphere spec heavy ferro-fibrous armor, which brings protection to maximum (9, 13/3, 9/3, 8, 12). Weapons consist of an improved heavy medium laser in each arm and a laser anti-missile system. Eleven double heat sinks try and deal with the added heat.

Using one of these is relatively simple, as it mirrors that of a Locust. You are a 25-ton BattleMech. Speed is your life. Keep your speed up, run in to strike something, then get out. If possible, run in packs. Giving them more targets than they can shoot is always good. A few variants have heat woes, so watch for those.

Fighting them starts with taking a deep breath. Depending on your era, your best bet may be simply to flood the area with firepower, and if they fall down, take advantage of it. If you can pick the terrain, choose areas that will reduce their speed. Now as time progressed in BattleTech, things got easier. Pulse lasers, Precision ammunition, and targeting computers help. Targeting computers with either pulse lasers or precision ammo is even better. Of course, just as you got comfortable with this, the truly psychotic models showed up. The 8 and 9 models you really need to pounce on if they trip (anyone have some oil?).

The Locust IIc should be soldiering on into the new eras. Someone always needs something quick to build and mass-produce. That’s how some of the variants came to be.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2014, 12:10:19 by Kotetsu »

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Re: ’Mech of the Week: Locust IIc
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2014, 16:38:48 »
I've only every used the original Locust IIC, but I've got a Star of Locust IIC 9s in one of my new Hell's Horses Clusters that I'm dying to try out in the wake of reading this article.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2014, 17:17:59 »
For two hundred years these three variants soldiered on. Finally, the advent of new technologies led to the next arrivals. The Wolves unveiled the 5 variant in 3060. This variant uses a centerline medium laser and two 3-shot ATM launchers in each arm. One ton of ammunition is also stored in each arm. Not to be outdone, the Falcons unveiled the 4 variant in 3064, which mounts a centerline medium, and three small heavy lasers in each arm. It also has twelve double heat sinks.
Um, what? I realize the iffy introdates aren't your fault, but that should be two 3-tube ATM launchers, 3-shot is something else

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2014, 18:02:50 »
also, the 2 only has one SSRM-2 per arm (not 2), and the 5 only has one ATM-3 per arm, not two..

Men Shen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2014, 19:24:18 »
Correct me if I'm wrong but the 9 is heat neutral. 6 for a run and two 7's for the heavy improved mediums makes it 20 heat right?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2014, 19:36:39 »
I don't think it ever really struck me until I read this article, but...

Clan Mongoose made the Locust IIC. Which is basically a Mongoose with some Clantech.

Both are 25 tons. Both have 200 rated SFE. Both have Endo Steel and Ferro Fibrous (though obviously different techs). The Mongoose edges the Locust IIC on armor somewhat significantly (76 points to 89). The Locust IIC's warload is 6 tons compared to the Mongoose's 5 tons.

So Clan Mongoose made (effectively) a Mongoose IIC, but called it a Locust.

Sort of strange.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2014, 21:34:40 »
Nicely done, Kotetsu. 

Striking fast, and getting out dodge is right thing to do with this machine.    I'm surprise those its still being used, given its armor protection.  Its fast machine, it certainly take down depending on the variant infantry to leaving mark on someone's armor hide if they survive an encounter with this guy.  Armor though, i'd like more despite the speed some of them have.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2014, 12:33:20 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2014, 21:47:55 »
Um, what? I realize the iffy introdates aren't your fault, but that should be two 3-tube ATM launchers, 3-shot is something else

You know what he means, everyone reading it knows what he means. Knock it off.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2014, 23:51:04 »
I've been using the Locust IIC 8 quite a bit these days. It's a really straightforward machine (high speed, one long-ranged weapon, do the math) but it hasn't failed me yet. The others I'm not very fond of (maybe the 3, but it's just a bit too slow for my liking), although the 9 certainly is...interesting.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2014, 01:25:35 »
Has anyone else had any experience with the IIC 9? I'm interested in tips on how to use it, especially in a Clan-vs-Clan context.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #10 on: 29 March 2014, 02:04:07 »
A great article and I now love the name Clan Hulk Smash for the Jaguars. :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 29 March 2014, 02:42:00 »
Has anyone else had any experience with the IIC 9? I'm interested in tips on how to use it, especially in a Clan-vs-Clan context.

I'd think the answer to that should be simple. Run from one side of the map to the other side where they aren't expecting you, and shoot them. Then next turn, run back to the other side of the map and shoot people on that side. Keep repeating this because with 21 MP, your opponent won't know where you'll be next.

Of course, if you're expecting slightly more Zellbringen in your conflicts, rush in when you have initiative, rush out when you lose it. Sort of like people do with designs that have alot of jump MP. The heat issues are exaggerated a bit. Even if the Laser AMS fires, you've got more than enough MP to absorb the loss.

I want to like the 7, but I can't help but think the design would've been better off with 2 less APGRs and another ton of ammo. Though maybe it's designed to fight the Society's infantry wearing Clan infantry armor and having "enhancements." Though if you need 6 APGRs to go through them, I'd think I'd want enough ammo for more than 6-7 shots.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #12 on: 29 March 2014, 06:17:22 »
Locust IIC. It is a great mech. I have met several good players that use the original one very well. To the point that, not matter how, when they enter into a enemy formation (usually mine) they get out with a crippled/destroyed enemy mech. Run a lot, hit the back of the enemy mechs, run away, then return and repeat. The recipe is very simple and, oddly enough, they are very tough mechs. The comparison with the Commando (that doesn't survive one round of "loving" in every game I play) is very interesting.

IMHO I would use a Locust IIC instead of a Firemoth every day... clanners made a mistake the day they replaced the Locust IIc with the "portable crater". The variants aren't that good, but the ER Large Laser ones may be nice. The IIC 9 may be very, very good and evil to use if you are patient.

Great mech and great article! O0

We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #13 on: 29 March 2014, 12:27:30 »
the 8 is a lot of fun, I like to pair it up with Firemoths in Alethas configuration.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #14 on: 29 March 2014, 12:50:22 »

Even the OmniMech that can’t take a spitball is more popular with the front-liners than a solid BattleMech…

If Face tanking the enemy in your Fire Moth is plan A, you ain't long for the world.

Also, the Locust can not carry Elementals organically. So there is that.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #15 on: 29 March 2014, 13:06:54 »
If Face tanking the enemy in your Fire Moth is plan A, you ain't long for the world.

Nonsense!  Face tanking the enemy in a Fire Moth is a PERFECT plan because no one would see it coming!
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 29 March 2014, 14:28:47 »
Well thankfully everyone knows what everyone else meant and we can now move on with our lives.

As a Sea Fox player, we somehow got saddled with the Locust IIC 4 in the new FM:3145 RATs. Talk about a downgrade, guh..it basically has no upsides when compared to the the base-line Locust IIC except for the steep reduction in BV, making it one of the cheapest Locust IICs around. It even costs more c-bills!!

EDIT: forgot to say which variant I was talking about....
« Last Edit: 29 March 2014, 23:54:42 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #17 on: 29 March 2014, 22:56:57 »
The few times I ever used the original IIC it held up way better than I expected. Looking at the variant list I find the 7 and 8 interesting, but don't really care too much about the rest. If I roll 'em on a RAT I'll give 'em a try but they don't interest me like the 7 and 8.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 30 March 2014, 01:07:16 »
I don't think it ever really struck me until I read this article, but...

Clan Mongoose made the Locust IIC. Which is basically a Mongoose with some Clantech.

Both are 25 tons. Both have 200 rated SFE. Both have Endo Steel and Ferro Fibrous (though obviously different techs). The Mongoose edges the Locust IIC on armor somewhat significantly (76 points to 89). The Locust IIC's warload is 6 tons compared to the Mongoose's 5 tons.

So Clan Mongoose made (effectively) a Mongoose IIC, but called it a Locust.

Sort of strange.

Eh?  No they didn't. The Mongoose used three medium lasers and had an active probe (unless it was the Royal, then it swapped one of them for an ER Large), and had a more humanoid shape and had lower arms and hands. Granted, Clan ER Smalls are basically sawed-off IS Mediums, but the Locust IIC is clearly based off the original Locust.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 30 March 2014, 02:40:43 »
Eh?  No they didn't. The Mongoose used three medium lasers and had an active probe (unless it was the Royal, then it swapped one of them for an ER Large), and had a more humanoid shape and had lower arms and hands. Granted, Clan ER Smalls are basically sawed-off IS Mediums, but the Locust IIC is clearly based off the original Locust.

Sure, the shape is different. And the weapon layout is different.

But both the Mongoose and Locust IIC are 25 tons. They move at the same speed. Have the same engine. Have the same FF and Endo Steel (though of different tech levels). They even both have a pure energy loadout.

If you simply looked at the stats side by side without seeing the name or the picture, its entirely possible you'd think it was a Mongoose of some sort. Obviously based on the aesthetics of the design its closer to the Locust, but alot of other things are closer to the Mongoose than a Locust (though the Royal Locust does come close as well).

It was just a thought. Here we've got a Clan named Mongoose, that in almost everything but shape, made a Mongoose (atleast IMO)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 30 March 2014, 03:12:10 »
Actually I'd say that the base Locust IIC is closest to the Wasp WSP-1W, I wonder if the Wolves where deliberately aping the Locust IIC when they made the Wasp WSP-1W

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #21 on: 30 March 2014, 09:30:03 »
Uh, did you mean Wolf's Dragoons instead of Clan Wolf?

On stats alone that is a reaaallllyyy long stretch. Movement curves are different, the -1W has less small lasers and no medium laser. Add to that the -1W debuted before the Locust IIC (1989 vs 1992)...

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #22 on: 30 March 2014, 10:05:21 »
One more thought on the IIC 3 (well, asides from the "why'd the Smoke Jaguars of all people make a skirmishing sniper?"), any chance it is a reference to that PPC locust throwaway line I see brought up once in a while?

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 30 March 2014, 12:10:59 »
also, the 2 only has one SSRM-2 per arm (not 2), and the 5 only has one ATM-3 per arm, not two..

Correct on the 5. The 2, according to my records (including HMP) has two Streaks in each arm.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #24 on: 30 March 2014, 12:38:05 »
I'm grateful for Kotetsu's and the other folks doing these recaps on current and past 'Mecha.   I no longer have my original 3055 book, so the background information for the original base models are basically gone now.  The reseen ones don't talk about the original models as much, because there distancing themselves away from them due to the image problem.

Seeing full spectrum of the designs like Locust IIC and other brethen from the classic Clan period aka Golden Century is pretty neat.  If one was to try play a military unit in Campaign or dare say RPG in the time period, someone could be able known more about these units.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #25 on: 30 March 2014, 13:37:23 »
Correct on the 5. The 2, according to my records (including HMP) has two Streaks in each arm.
checked megameklab. looks like your right.. time to update sarna.net..

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #26 on: 30 March 2014, 17:01:28 »
Well thankfully everyone knows what everyone else meant and we can now move on with our lives.

As a Sea Fox player, we somehow got saddled with the Locust IIC 4 in the new FM:3145 RATs. Talk about a downgrade, guh..it basically has no upsides when compared to the the base-line Locust IIC except for the steep reduction in BV, making it one of the cheapest Locust IICs around. It even costs more c-bills!!

EDIT: forgot to say which variant I was talking about....

Everybody got garbage Locust IICs in all the FMs from 3067.

Men Shen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 30 March 2014, 17:21:54 »
I used the Locust IIc9 in a poker run recently and it was awesome. Low bv2 gave me a 2/3 pilot and I could range the board. My new goto much.

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 30 March 2014, 21:08:44 »
Sure, the shape is different. And the weapon layout is different.

But both the Mongoose and Locust IIC are 25 tons. They move at the same speed. Have the same engine. Have the same FF and Endo Steel (though of different tech levels). They even both have a pure energy loadout.

If you simply looked at the stats side by side without seeing the name or the picture, its entirely possible you'd think it was a Mongoose of some sort. Obviously based on the aesthetics of the design its closer to the Locust, but alot of other things are closer to the Mongoose than a Locust (though the Royal Locust does come close as well).

It was just a thought. Here we've got a Clan named Mongoose, that in almost everything but shape, made a Mongoose (atleast IMO)

That makes no sense. That's like saying an Orion and a Marauder are the same 'Mech just because they both have standard internals, standard armor and have a pair of lasers and an autocannon. Even if you go by the stats alone, I still don't see how you could even consider the two to be similar 'Mechs. Maybe if it had a warload that looked more like the old Mongoose of either form I could grant you that point, but it doesn't. Simply because it was Clan Mongoose that designed the Locust IIC doesn't automatically make it a Mongoose wearing a Locust's skin.

Register