Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: Cave Lion  (Read 6038 times)

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
'Mech of the Week: Cave Lion
« on: 13 June 2014, 05:54:37 »
The Cave Lion made its debut in MechWarrior: Age of Destruction as the personal ride of Spirit Cat founder and personality cult focal point Galaxy Commander Kev Rosse. At the time players speculated that it was of Nova Cat origin though nothing was ever official stated. The construction stats from a Solaris combatant released later were a bit of a head scratcher as well. Era Digest: Dark Age would part the veil regarding the machine’s source and the design specs. Though how Rosse got his paws on his Anima is apparently a mystery for the ages. 

With an in universe birthdate sometime in 3122 the Cave Lion isn’t the last new Nova Cat ‘Mech to be produced – that honor goes to the Wendigo OmniMech – it is, however,  the last to receive its official stats. *Sniff* …. I promised myself I wouldn’t do this …. Sorry …. Please feel free to discuss the merits of XL fusion engines versus armored XXL engines while I compose myself.

Ok, I’m back.

Khan Jacali Nostra had envisioned the new ‘Mech to represent the Clan’s fierce feline nature complete with claws and a penchant for tuna. She also hoped to have it produced completely independently of the Draconis Combine. Once they had the Coordinator’s permission of course. Reality often doesn’t play well with visions though.  The Nova Cat’s industrial base was still in sorry shape from the Second Dominion Combine War. Thankfully the Tiburon Khanate of Clan Sea Fox was more than happy to assist once all the standard contractual agreements regarding production runs and “design input” were settled on. 

The Cave Lion is tucked neatly into the very crowded 75 ton weight bracket. Home of the benchmark Timber Wolf as well as the Cat’s own Sphinx. Endo steel bones with an XL engine to reach a flanking speed of 86 kph doesn’t go far toward setting the design apart from the crowd. Enter reflective armor. Thanks to the Sea Foxes, the intended ferro-fibrous would be replaced by this less common mode of protection. Fortunately scientist involved had the common sense to replace the proposed, cat-like claws with purely decorative versions. Twelve tons of shiny shielding parsed across the ‘Mech can sound really impressive if framed in terms of just energy weapons. The center torso can take four Clan ER PPC hits without breaching! Woot. The actual numbers aren’t awful, just a bit thin by modern standards. Two Gauss rounds will strip the 29 points clean off the center torso and take a bit of the internal structure with it. The arms and legs have just 75% of the maximum possible coverage with just 18 and 24 points of armor respectively. The side torsos a just a hair better off at 25 points.

So now that those eleven-points-o’-damage-each claws are but a wistful memory for Jacali, what ferocity remains in this cat? Two ER PPCs sitting on either side of the cockpit like lightning spewing boom boxes is a respectable start. Each arm sports a medium pulse laser as does each of the side torsos in a frighteningly nippleular fashion. The final offensive touch is another bit of Sea Fox input, the Khanate wanted to use the Cave Lion as a showcase for their ATM 3 system. It also happens to be included as a nod to the stats presented on Brick Commander. With only two bins, I would usually opt for one ton each of ER and HE munitions. That crunchy armor coating does make me second guess getting close enough for the HE rounds to have a decent chance of hitting. The write up notes that the second bin exists to give the launcher staying power for extended trips away from base; the implication being that forty flights of the same missile type was intended. That’s … excessive. During my test matches I used extended range missiles with the dual PPCs and standard missiles once the pulse lasers came into the mix with no regrets.

The Nova Cats were at least able to fit one of their Angel ECM suite into the Cave Lion.  While blocking hostile C3 networks is a bit less critical in Late Republic era reducing the efficacy of Streak and Artemis launchers never hurts. Especially when you remember that slightly too thin armor. The final touch are the seventeen double heat sinks. At longer ranges, that’s more than adequate to fire the ER PPCS and the ATM (just ‘cause you can) while staying cool. Once inside twelve hexes, the quartet of pulse lasers can take the place of one of the ER PPC with no heat worries.

A quick note of quirks. Difficult to Maintain really doesn’t come into play outside of campaigns and Distracting’s affects don’t rear their ugly head unless Moral rules are in effect. Battlefist on the other hand are a curious choice. Likely chosen to represent the Cave Lion’s sculpted claws, the bonus for punches would normally be welcomed. But the reflective armor actively discourages getting into close combat range. So unless you’re in position to sucker punch an opponent, looking for style points, or you never really liked having armor anyway this final quirk may not see much use. 

I’m not usually one to mention battle value, but it’s worth noting on the Cave Lion. 3,044 points. (GAH!) There I said it. For anyone who notes these things, that’s a wee 40 points off a standard Hellstar. When I was running MegaMek tests for this article I found the Cave Lion is well suited to take on pricey energy boats like the Hellstar, Sphinx, etc. Not exactly a surprise since it’s practically custom built to fight PPC/laser spamming ‘Mechs but it is nice to have the confirmation. Trying to play the Lion against ‘Mechs with a more rounded armament didn’t necessarily end as well, especially for the equivalent BV.

Fighting with or against a Cave Lion boils down to playing to the strengths and weaknesses of the reflective armor. You’re more than likely going to be on the winning side of a war of attrition against other energy boats especially once you’re out of reach of ER medium laser spammers. Hanging back at the long range of the ER PPCs bracket leaves low caliber autocannons, Gauss rifles, and LRM/ER ATMs as the primary concerns. Unfortunately there’s not much more to recommend than good use of terrain and piloting to win that battle. Just keep plugging away with the PPCs and wee littl’ plinks from the three ER ATMs until your opponent is ground down enough to go for the kill by adding in the pulse lasers.

Sadly, just knocking the ‘Mech over will go a long way to neutralizing it. Every failed PSR will strip 16 points of armor. And remember that the 20 point damage threshold for the PSR takes into account unmodified damage. Physical attacks are notoriously effective. A kick from a 60 ton ‘Mech will strip the otherwise pristine armor off a leg for example. Of course if you’re a MechWarrior piloting a Cave Lion and allowed something that large to get close enough to land a kick something has gone horribly wrong. The area affect damage of artillery, both standard and cannon variety, is best avoided as well.

Era Report: Dark Age notes that the Cave Lion quickly became popular with the Nova Cat touman and it’s not difficult to see why. If you’re a Nova Cat warrior primarily running trials against other Nova Cat warriors piloting various Sphinxes and Nova Cat OmniMechs the Lion is the king of beasts. Against others it can hold its own and it’s at least not a suicide machine on par with the Hellbringer. On the whole I enjoy the Cave Lion, but my prejudices against the armor that makes it stand out from the crowd keep me from fully embracing it.

As always, the MUL is the source for more information including those all-important Alpha Strike stats. Currently there’s no mini available from Iron Wind Metals so I unfortunately can’t post any glorious Camo Specs Online links. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: 'Mech of the Week: Cave Lion
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2014, 07:45:17 »
Thank you for that insighful and amusing review of the Cave Lion.   Wow, man i didn't realize how fragial the Reflective Armor was on this thing.   Good thing in general that Clan Warriors aren't into physical attacks.   The FedSun forces must be having a terrible day with all their r-armor they lobbed onto their machines.

I find Cave Lion is good machine aside from that, its too bad a non-reflective armor variant wasn't produced before Nova Cats went they were bagged and neutred.  I think design has some functional abilities.  As where it stands, if fluff is followed closely, a lot older designs were lost.  Heck, there were like 2-3 Galaxies left in Nova Cats touman, not at full strength.  Given how nasty 2nd Combined-Dominion War was, i won't be surprised that there weren't enough around Sphinxes to make people thinking they were reinventing the wheel introducing the Cave Lion.  Cats weren't able produce their own designs for while I reading it right, having new shiney design would explain why they went "its what we could get"   There were compromises Nova Cats had to do with Sea Foxes to get it built, including the ATM-3 on design which was envisioned to haveto be all energy by its Khan. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2014, 11:54:37 »
Thank you for this very entertaining article.  O0
Also, never heard of this mech.
Probably won't anymore, too, it doesn't sound like it's around much these days.
Edit: What does Battlefist actually do? Extra damage?
« Last Edit: 13 June 2014, 15:01:12 by UnLimiTeD »
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2014, 12:10:31 »
Probably won't anymore, too, it doesn't sound like it's around much these days.
If you know some Sea Foxes ...

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2014, 12:45:33 »
Like martian alluded to, there's probably some up for grabs from Sea Foxes.

I'm glad you guys didn't mind a quick dip in the pool of general goofiness. Thanks.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2014, 14:28:55 »
The reflective armor is a nice idea for facing opponents like Hellstars or Marauder IICs, for sure- and of course, terrifying to consider close-combat options with, so prudence is advised for sure. Where I'm disappointed is in the weaponry. A Clan heavy Mech with two ER PPCs as its main guns seems like it's been done so many times... Hellbringers, Timber Wolves, Summoners, Linebackers, Ebon Jaguars, Night Gyrs, Nova Cats, it's harder to pick out a Clan heavy that DOESN'T have a twin-ER-PPC layout. I guess it just feels almost boring to me at this point. (And if that's the biggest problem I have with a Mech, it means it's otherwise a very good design!).

All in all a solid design, one I wouldn't blanch at using, but other than the armor it's also nothing new.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2014, 18:55:49 »
Twin ER PPC format just really speaks to its efficiency more then anything. Two head cappers that have range outside of LRMs and can be a decent system for a whole 18 tons? Yeah.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2014, 21:56:14 »
I've been thinking. How numerous were Mechs who had twin ER PCCs by time this thing was deployed. I know CGL isn't big on making anything completely unavaliable in time periods. Not generally.

I woud think if say, Warhammer is a rare bird for instance, that a machine that does employ them would become more popular.   Would Nova Cats frontline forces become less likely have a common twin Clan ER PPC Mech by time Cave Lion entered the ranks of their Touman?   They are a deminished Clan people under lock and key since dawn of the 32nd Century.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2014, 04:08:21 »
The reflective armor is a nice idea for facing opponents like Hellstars or Marauder IICs, for sure- and of course, terrifying to consider close-combat options with, so prudence is advised for sure. Where I'm disappointed is in the weaponry. A Clan heavy Mech with two ER PPCs as its main guns seems like it's been done so many times... Hellbringers, Timber Wolves, Summoners, Linebackers, Ebon Jaguars, Night Gyrs, Nova Cats, it's harder to pick out a Clan heavy that DOESN'T have a twin-ER-PPC layout. I guess it just feels almost boring to me at this point. (And if that's the biggest problem I have with a Mech, it means it's otherwise a very good design!).

All in all a solid design, one I wouldn't blanch at using, but other than the armor it's also nothing new.

It's quite similar to the Timber Wolf A and Arcas 2. That Reflective armor is the only major difference.

On a positive note, you will keep those ER PPCs even after you lose your arms.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2014, 19:34:28 »
A Clan heavy Mech with two ER PPCs as its main guns seems like it's been done so many times... Hellbringers, Timber Wolves, Summoners, Linebackers, Ebon Jaguars, Night Gyrs, Nova Cats, it's harder to pick out a Clan heavy that DOESN'T have a twin-ER-PPC layout.

... I'm failing to see how that's a bad thing
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #10 on: 14 June 2014, 19:35:31 »
I have to wonder if any can be found in the Clan Protectorate clusters
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #11 on: 15 June 2014, 01:08:09 »

This right here. I would think there would be a few running around there.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 15 June 2014, 02:29:51 »

Report: Trial of Possession/Marik
Date: 31/12/3145-1930
----------------------------------------------------------
To: Star Colonel: Nikita Brezhnev

"Star Colonel!

Our Trial of Possession declared against forces of the Clan Protectorate was less than successful. We came to Marik and declared our Batchall. The Second Protectorate Guardians accepted our challenge and agreed to meet us in battle, Binary against Binary.

We thought that our superior training and superior technology must prevail. After all, who would dare to face the power of our Wolf 'Mechs - our Star Captain's Hellstar, my Warwolf A, Star Commander Vladimir's upgraded Sun Cobra or MechWarrior Konstantin's Pouncer Prime.

The enemy - some Sea Fox officer piloting a tall felinoid BattleMech of unknown model - entered the place of the Trial first. He was followed by his XO - obviously some stravag of the Spirit Cat origin - piloting a strange 'Mech clad in some kind of brilliant armor and with cokpit buried deep in the center torso.
My computer had problems with the identification of remaining enemy 'Mechs piloted by three of those Spheroid Freeborns. I saw that they were piloting Hunchbacks, but from some reason my computer designated them as "Quasimodo". Those Hunchbacks radiated a blue glow, strange effect I have never seen before.

The second enemy Star had a similar composition.

We opened fire and advanced, but it seemed that our hits were not damaging enemy 'Mechs. Seemingly from nowhere, one of those eerie Hunchbacks appeared in front of our Star Captain's 'Mech. Star Captain hit it with his ER PPCs and that Spheroid surat punched in return. Our Commander's 'Mech collapsed to the ground with crushed cockpit while that Protectorate Hunchback jumped away with only superficial damage.

That dezgra Sea Fox taunted us over radio that he is going to sell our 'Mechs to the highest bidder and that he already has interested buyers. His "Cave Lion" (that's how he called his 'Mech) seemed not to register fire of our ER PPCs and Lasers.
His taunting doubled after he headcapped our Pouncer.

I was sparring with the Spirit Cat 'Mech (codenamed Wendigo) and I was having the upper had. That is, until his hit - almost as if guided by some mystic power - critted Reactive Armor protecting center torso of my 'Mech. Without armor and with critted engine and gyro, I had no option but to withdraw from battle or be taken as a bondsman by that savashri Spirit Cat.

Things went downhill from there ..."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #13 on: 17 June 2014, 01:14:42 »
Where is that . . . ?  Story seems a bit odd because short term trials tend to draw the heavy hitting ballistic weapons while long campaigns encourage Omnis to be equipped with energy weapons.  A short sharp fight in a traditional circle would be the opposite of what was seen.  Might have to try that fight against someone randomly playing as the Protectorate.

I do think the twin ERPPC availability point is a decent one, but I think it might have more to do with the Combine influence changing their previous inclination from lasers to PPC.  While the reflective makes it different, would this be a mech begging for different armors?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #14 on: 17 June 2014, 02:50:45 »
pretty sure he made the story up himself.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 17 June 2014, 10:24:36 »
Where is that . . . ?

Result of boredom, thought that the Clan Protectorate forces gained qute good protection against Clan energy weapons (and Clan ER PPCs especially) by chance, and inspiration by a recent game in which everything what could go wrong went wrong ...

Register