Author Topic: Votw: Pixiu Heavy Tank  (Read 12501 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Votw: Pixiu Heavy Tank
« on: 06 September 2014, 04:51:49 »

(NOTE: VotW is early this week on account of needing something to do while dealing with rampant insomnia. Benefit to you, woe to me.)

We've covered weapon carriers the past couple of weeks- vehicles that tend to eschew the finer things in life like engines and protection in favor of ungodly amounts of weaponry. So let's swing back to a more even keel this week and look at a vehicle that... you know what, I'm not even going to try to contain myself here. Three different people requested this vehicle over the last couple of weeks, all without knowing (they claim) that the others had done so. And as I tested it, I began to realize more and more what they saw in it. This was a lot of fun to play with, and it's yet another reason why I hate fighting House Liao.

Pixius are post-Jihad monsters that appear to be intended to work as a long-range combination with the short-range oriented Po II, but work just fine on their own as an MBT. A feared element of a Capellan force (and rightly so!), they tend to serve in the cream of the Liao military (and some in the Magistracy Armed Forces), such as Warrior Houses. A prestigious unit, to be sure- but why?

Let's look in and find out. First, the engine is a pretty handy- if pricey- 350XL. That moves 70 tons of angry tank at a very respectable cavalry-esque 5/8, plenty enough to keep up with all but the fastest-moving battlefield. Of note is the power-reverse feature, a handy thing to have for a number of reasons- as we shall review later. Liao was apparently happy to drop a chunk of change to make this a truly impressive tank in every way, and it worked.

The armor is an impressive eleven tons to begin with, but it's stealth. That's right, we have us a stealth MBT. Smexy. This armor is arrayed in a pretty typical fashion- heavy up front, thinner in the back, with a respectable 50 points on the front. 35 points cover the sides and turret, and a still-decent 21 points can keep an AC-20 from going through the rear- once. (During tests, a Demolisher learned this the hard way in a tough city fight, pegging the enemy with an AC but missing with the other- it promptly turned around and took the treads off the older tank and scuttled away.) That armor being stealth, it requires ten heat sinks- oh look at that engine!- and obviously it's good to hold your distance. That power-reverse just became handy, allowing us to keep backing away from most enemies as fast or faster than they can advance to keep up!

With that in mind, the weapons are a perfect match. A Gauss rifle in the turret is everything tankers love, with power and range in spades (and with a typical two-ton ammo loadout). It means the Pixiu can keep at a range where its armor helps it most, hold that range thanks to its mobility, and make life miserable with the rifle. Interestingly, a Thunderbolt-5 is mounted in the turret as well, with one ton of ammo. For most armies this wouldn't bat an eye, but with the Capellan love of Thunder mines the T-bolt in place of a standard LRM is surprising- then again, with no shortage of units to do that (including the Po II this was designed to support), I suppose it's good to have other options. A vehicle flamer (so as not to require heat sinks the armor already needed) with one ton of ammo is mounted in the nose of the tank in case of infantry ambushes, but should usually be used only in emergencies- your real weapon against infantry is speed.

As noted above, the combination of long-ranged weaponry, excellent mobility, and stealth armor makes this a unit that wants to hold the range at all costs- and is quite able to do so. Pixius are a nightmare to deal with, and the more of them on the field the worse it gets. Needing tens or elevens to hit one sucks bad enough, but it's throwing back hefty firepower of its own at far lower numbers- so even sticking your head out for that pot-shot is a bad idea. Advancing quickly to short range is the best bet, but it's fast enough- even in reverse!- that it's not always easy to do that. Fast units with SRMs like the classic Pegasus are best for the role, hopefully getting close and disabling its (curiously exposed) treads... but with the intended pairing with the close-range monster Po II, even that's not going to be much fun to do.

No variants exist of the Pixiu at this time, which means this is a short article, but don't mistake my brevity for lack of interest. This was a fascinating tank to put through its paces- it looked good on paper, but in use it was even better than expected. If you get a chance to use one, do so- think nothing of it, just do it. It's a marvel- quite possibly the best MBT of the Dark Age era, and that's putting it in high company. It's not easy to use to its maximum effect- it needs room to maneuver to hold the range, so its' not the blunt instrument that the Po II or Marksman can be. But in the right hands and the right battlefield, this was just perfection on treads.

Go. Use this. And if you're an enemy of the Chancellor, fear this above almost all else in his army. I know I do now.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Votw: Pixiu Heavy Tank
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2014, 06:55:34 »
This thing is awful and awesome in equal parts. I love it.

And having used it with Hull Down rules, it is a complete monster when it gets to dictate the battlefield.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2014, 10:19:46 »
When I first read about the Pixiu in TRO: 3145 CC I was very impressed.  A speedy main battle tank, for House Liao.  With its speed and stealth abilities, it makes it great sniper vehicle for ranged attack in the field.   

To be honest I hadn't thought of team up with the Po II.  But it does make perfect sense, though Po II is a slow poke in comparison.  It would help this thing be able survive if it gets into a fight in crowded spaces.  It more an attack tank though, I can't picture it being used as defensive vehicle when its expensive of its engine. 

Also the Pixiu also has another capacity.  Its Guardian ECM which comes standard with the Stealth Armor can add another layer of protection from jamming certain advance weaponry to using Tac Ops rules with Ghost Targeting.  Fun machine.

Thanks for a great article, Jadehellbringer.  Hope you get some sleep!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2014, 11:22:37 »
I'd say your best shot is with LB-X cluster rounds.  Lame it first with mobility hits, and the -1 from cluster rounds will help with the stealth armor bonus.

If the enemy bought this in bulk for the party?  Remember close only counts in horseshoes and artillery strikes.  >:D  OTOH the high speed makes it hard to box in when plotting your target hexes.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2014, 13:29:23 »
i think the thunderbolt makes a good amount of sense. as pointed out, the Capellan's have plenty of LRM units to drop minefields and such. and the fields an LRM5 can drop is.. well not all that impressive. and LRM5 is also pretty much useless for critseeking.. a single 3pt hit (on average) isn't very useful.
you could fit an LRM10.. but only if you drop the defensive flamer, which leaves it with no real defense against infantry that gets close.

the thunderbolt provides two things.. first, it has consistent damage, unlike an LRM5. one that is not degraded in damage by AMS though it is vulnerable to being stopped entirety. (instead of a consistent reduced damage, it just is just slightly less likely to hit)
second, when combined with the guass, it means that it has the ability to force a PSR. which was probably the main thought.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2014, 14:49:53 »
I've only played against the Pixiu and I hate it with every fiber of my being. Therefor it's a fantastic tank and I'm jealous of Capellans and the newest hellspawn they've unleashed.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2014, 14:54:25 »
I've only played against the Pixiu and I hate it with every fiber of my being. Therefor it's a fantastic tank and I'm jealous of Capellans and the newest hellspawn they've unleashed.

There's a reason I love playing Capellan... ;D

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #7 on: 06 September 2014, 16:17:57 »
Heavy MBT, moves 8, can force a PSR at longer ranges, head capper at long range, good armor, some kind of AI defense.

That's about the recipe you want for a good tank

To the patient go the spoils

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 06 September 2014, 21:07:16 »
I love this one..... it's a basic MBT.
It has the armor, and mobility to fight on a modern battlefield, with a solid gun.
It doesn't try and do too much... mixing weapon types, to abandon, like some of the older tanks..... and the design choices are very logical and effective.

Just waiting for the fig to come out.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Redshirt

• Iron Banner Addict
  • Lieutenant
  • Please wait while I make my Perception Roll
« Reply #9 on: 06 September 2014, 21:35:41 »

To be honest I hadn't thought of team up with the Po II.  But it does make perfect sense, though Po II is a slow poke in comparison.  It would help this thing be able survive if it gets into a fight in crowded spaces.  It more an attack tank though, I can't picture it being used as defensive vehicle when its expensive of its engine. 

JHB and I talked about this one. One thing you can do is deploy the Pixiu(s) forward of the Po IIs (say they are hiding on a reverse slope). The Pixius get the attention of the enemy force, who are forced to try and close with them. The Pixius use their power reverse to keep the range with the enemy open (or better yet, move at a slower speed to sucker the enemy in...). As the Pixius withdraw across the reverse slope, they spot for the Pos, who just happen to be using Thunder Munitions. And when the enemy force crests the ridge, they run into the Pixius AND the Pos. Merriment ensues and as the enemy force begins to run, they blunder into the minefields now laying on their path of retreat.

i think the thunderbolt makes a good amount of sense. as pointed out, the Capellan's have plenty of LRM units to drop minefields and such. and the fields an LRM5 can drop is.. well not all that impressive. and LRM5 is also pretty much useless for critseeking.. a single 3pt hit (on average) isn't very useful. you could fit an LRM10.. but only if you drop the defensive flamer, which leaves it with no real defense against infantry that gets close.

the thunderbolt provides two things.. first, it has consistent damage, unlike an LRM5. one that is not degraded in damage by AMS though it is vulnerable to being stopped entirety. (instead of a consistent reduced damage, it just is just slightly less likely to hit)
second, when combined with the guass, it means that it has the ability to force a PSR. which was probably the main thought.

On a side note, I wouldn't be so dismissive about the size of the minefield an LRM-5 drops. The damage may not matter that much to most mechs, but against vehicles and infantry it is murder. You have to roll a motive crit (on the side table) every time your tank sets off a minefield. And since minefields are considered area effect weapons, that means your entire battle armor squad takes five points when they set off a minefield.

(And JHB, I had to look up the rules on minefields after talking with you about Thunders and LRM-5s. Daaaaamn, dude. O0)
« Last Edit: 06 September 2014, 21:37:21 by Redshirt »
I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

This is a Sham! This is a Mockery! This is a... a... TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!!!!!

Wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You're the creamy filling of wrongness in the middle of the wrong donut with brightly colored sprinkles of wrongness on top. You're wrong.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #10 on: 06 September 2014, 22:02:27 »
Because you really needed to teach me a new thing to do with an Anubis?  :D

I am eagerly awaiting these minis and hope it is a two pack. My Pos and Regulators need new running mates.

Redshirt

• Iron Banner Addict
  • Lieutenant
  • Please wait while I make my Perception Roll
« Reply #11 on: 06 September 2014, 22:10:03 »
Because you really needed to teach me a new thing to do with an Anubis?  :D

I am eagerly awaiting these minis and hope it is a two pack. My Pos and Regulators need new running mates.

[metalhealth]

Yeah, It's pretty much confirmed: I hate you.  ;)

(Use them against Sam, OK?)
I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

This is a Sham! This is a Mockery! This is a... a... TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!!!!!

Wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You're the creamy filling of wrongness in the middle of the wrong donut with brightly colored sprinkles of wrongness on top. You're wrong.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #12 on: 06 September 2014, 22:16:43 »
You can also put them with Po II (Stealth) MBT's for some Angel ECM fun (and the Po II is 1415 BV as opposed to the Pixiu's 1450.)  The Pixiu is arguable the better tank, as the Po II (Stealth) has twin SRM-6 launchers and twin MG's.  That said, the Pixiu's would appreciate the Po II (Stealth's) close range firepower to a degree and could use their maneuverability to harry the flanks while the Po II (Stealth)'s hold the line. 

And you get a Gauss Rifle and stealth armor per tank; whats not to love? :)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #13 on: 06 September 2014, 23:14:40 »
Had not really looked at this, too busy looking at the Predator and non-UAC/20 Po II.  It would be interesting to test out a Cappie-Andurien armor battle with this vs Moltkes.  This might end up being the logical definition of a vehicle stealth set up, sort of like Pillager for mechs.

Is there a variant?  Do you need a variant?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2014, 09:39:35 »
Ahh, the Cappies.
Masters of the annoying vehicle.
You just gotta love them for that.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #15 on: 07 September 2014, 12:26:27 »
Ahh, the Cappies.
Masters of the annoying vehicle.
You just gotta love them for that.

Yeah, it's worth remembering that while figuring out how to deal with these things and the Po IIs they're covering, you're probably getting flanked by Tamerlanes and Regulator IIs to boot.

Have fun!

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #16 on: 07 September 2014, 15:29:23 »
In my experiences with Cappellans, the best way to deal with them is bombers.  :D Their forces tend to be light on flak weapons as is.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 07 September 2014, 20:45:38 »
I prefer to nuke them from orbit..... it's the only way to be sure.
Plus, it keeps me from having to repaint my Celestials....... I mean.... they look good ....er er .... cough cough repaint my loyal Suns mechs ... yes, My loyal Suns mechs, such as MY Enforcers, and Jagermechs..... yes, Nuke them to protect my Jagermechs !!!!

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #18 on: 07 September 2014, 20:46:34 »
Must be overlooking all those old Po Heavy Tanks that were refit to mount LB-10X as the main guns.  Or that Regulator A4 can carry AA rounds . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #19 on: 07 September 2014, 20:51:11 »
Must be overlooking all those old Po Heavy Tanks that were refit to mount LB-10X as the main guns.  Or that Regulator A4 can carry AA rounds . . .
heck, bog-standard Po's can load Flak ammo.

the Capcon and magistracy both have access to the Demolisher arrow IV as well.

and given their use of augmented lances of various forms, you also have all their arrow IV toting mechs as possibilities too.
« Last Edit: 07 September 2014, 20:55:29 by glitterboy2098 »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #20 on: 07 September 2014, 21:23:26 »
I wonder if more advance weapons will be developed, like option ammo for the T-bolts.   That would be interesting.

I know it could be broken if done incorrectly, but be fun.  Give the Pixiu another option.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #21 on: 07 September 2014, 22:32:35 »
I wonder if more advance weapons will be developed, like option ammo for the T-bolts.   That would be interesting.

I know it could be broken if done incorrectly, but be fun.  Give the Pixiu another option.

Such as Semi-Guided?  >:D

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #22 on: 07 September 2014, 22:41:35 »
Such as Semi-Guided?  >:D

semi-guided Thunderbolts...

...If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go hide in a corner under a blanket.

+Crow T. Robot+

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #23 on: 07 September 2014, 23:20:14 »
semi-guided Thunderbolts...

The Dread Pirate Zug has come for your soouuuls... [skull]
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 08 September 2014, 13:27:04 »
Either that, or the MTM launchers, in 2, 3, and 4 racks .... Multi-Thunderbolt Missile rack ... fires either 2, 3, or 4 thunderbolt 5's at once, similar to an SRM.
Or, Streak Thunderbolts..... to conserve ammo.

Nahuris

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 08 September 2014, 14:36:40 »
Either that, or the MTM launchers, in 2, 3, and 4 racks .... Multi-Thunderbolt Missile rack ... fires either 2, 3, or 4 thunderbolt 5's at once, similar to an SRM.

Nahuris

Multiple Thunderbolts would have been sweet if they were introduced as such. Granted, they'd have been restricted to 5's, but it would still be totally worth it, with something like a quad rack being equivalent to an LRM 20.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #26 on: 08 September 2014, 14:53:05 »
That's about the recipe you want for a good tank

Not just a good tank, a good stealth tank.  Building Shadow Lances is that much easier now with a quality MBT to fill the ranks of an Augmented Lance. 
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 08 September 2014, 18:23:32 »
True, I never thought about the problems a Cappie commander might have had in acquiring all stealth material for an augmented lance.
This certainly helps.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #28 on: 08 September 2014, 19:31:29 »
Nahuris
Well, in the same book as Pixiu is this other tank, packing 8 of those T-Bolt-5 launchers.  I can picture the Behemoth II finishing off, what Pixiu left it for dinner scraps

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #29 on: 09 September 2014, 12:50:53 »
It is a great tank and a pain to destroy. 3145 is a good time for tanks and combat vehicles. A good (err.. I mean evil player) will search for the magic 15 hexes range where the Gauss is at medium range and a lot of long range weapons are at long range. With a 5/8 movement (I don't play with quirks, but power reverse only improves this) it can do it and be a royal (with capital R) pain to everybody. The Thunderbolt 5 is odd but it is clear that the tank needed an extra 5 point of damage for PSRs.

Finally, the only bad point is that it is a 70 tons 5/8 tank with a Gauss. It is more an improved Fury tank than anything.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Register