Author Topic: Mech of the Week: Canis  (Read 11108 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Mech of the Week: Canis
« on: 18 October 2014, 19:10:35 »
Certainly has enough bark for its bite. From TRO:3060

After seeing what warfare with the Inner Sphere was to be like, many of the homeworld Clans went through a sort of small technological renaissance. Clan Coyote was no exception, with the Canis walking off production lines in 3058. A 'mech designed specifically to function well during the longer engagements spheroids seemed so fond of, the Canis was supposedly made to rely more on laser weaponry than its predecessors. At least, that's what Coyote scientists told their Warrior caste.

The Canis comes in at a sturdy 80 tons, with a 240 XL engine making it as fast as an Awesome on foot, and three jump jets propelling it up to 90 meters at a time. Interestingly enough, this gives it the same movement profile as the Legacy - a 'mech with enough similarities to be its long-lost cousin. 15 tons of armor offer a wall of armor that is hard to pierce, although its 9, 37/12 (center torso), 23/10 (side torsos), 25 (arms), 33 (legs) armor layout could be better spread to deal with IS or Clan weaponry. The lot left a staggering total of 49 tons for weapons/heatsinks, which Coyote scientists most definitely took advantage of.

First off, we see the two Ultra AC/10s armed with four tons of ammo. This allows for a grand total of 10 rounds of firepower if used at double-speed, which seems a bit anemic when we consider how much weight is going into these guns: a total of 24 tons. Seems like a lot for a 'mech that is supposed to counter "ballistic...ammunition depletion". However, these are complimented by four ER Large Lasers. Wow, you might say, that's actually a lot of firepower! Well..problem is, this only leave the Canis with 16 double heat sinks to dissipate all of that heat. If you enjoy running cool, stay away from this machine.

How to use it? It works at all ranges, thankfully enough. It can snipe well when following a 3-3-2 pattern (if standing still) or a 3-2-3 pattern (if mobile). When at closer range it can brings its ultras into play, and fire two of the ER Larges along with one AC on Ultra and the other AC firing normally with minimal heat build-up. That means that its opponents have to contend with a steady barrage of 10-point hits - which, while lacking the intimidating presence of the Clan headcappers, can still cause a 'mech to sit down and ponder its life decisions a bit. And remember, you can always turn up the dial of pain if you're willing to deal with the heat. It works, but it does feel a bit slapped together, almost as if Coyote scientists wanted to quickly be done with the project to focus on...other matters.

The only upgrade to this machine is the Canis 2, first appearing in 3071. Making use of new technology, the Ultra AC/10s have been swapped with dual HAG/20s, with the four tons of ammo remaining unchanged. One ER Large Laser has been moved to the head to give it extra lasting firepower, while the remaining weaponry has been refitted by two Large Pulse Lasers. This variant actually works great alongside the original: the range brackets match up near perfectly, while the HAGs offer some flexibility in critseeking, anti-air duties and sandblasting. The Pulse Lasers also give the Canis a line of defense against some of the more dangerous lights and mediums out there. Heat is still a bit of an issue, though not nearly as much as it is for the original. Using this variant is simple. Holding back on the ER Large Laser is usually a good idea in most scenarios except at the longest ranges where the Pulse Lasers fall flat. It remains a good bruiser that can take and deal some pain.

As for overall strategies for the chassis...park and bark. This is a defensively-minded machine. Your jump jets should be used to get you into your ideal position, or to get you out of it once you're overheating by ridiculous amounts and are getting banged-up too much. Movement should be kept to a minimum if possible. How to deal with one? They're very slow, and have huge heat woes. Exploiting either of those flaws is a good strategy, and hitting one with a barrage of infernos or plasma can seriously hurt it, even more than most 'mechs.

Camospecs has some spanking examples of the Canis right over here: http://www.camospecs.com/MiniList.asp?Action=Detail&ID=186
With the MUL offering its info over here: http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/459/canis-standard
And IWM has it for sale for here, although it is unsurprisingly archived: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1854
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Mech of the Week: Canis
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2014, 19:49:05 »
i find it sad that we never got a canon ATM version of this.. as a coyote machine, it seems like you'd have seen one eventually.

i remember in one of the early fan grand councils i submitted a custom ATM version for use, which dropped two of the lasers and both UAC's in order to fit a quartet of ATM9's and a massive amount of ammo.. in the megamek games for the early rounds (before i had to drop out due to schedule issues) it left a swath of destruction in its path from its ability to sandblast away targets.

i've not used the "2", but i rather like the standard model.. heat is an issue, but if you mix the AC's and lasers you can do a lot of damage very quickly.
« Last Edit: 18 October 2014, 19:54:12 by glitterboy2098 »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2014, 20:17:20 »
Never used one either, one of those Clan mechs that never ended on a typical Inner Sphere battlefield.  It has impressive if heat repressive firepower, but there a 'mech isn't going be deployed much if ever again unless its a left over relic in Clan Wolf's exchange of Warriors during the Reaving.  If wasn't so rare, I'd love a new miniature resculpt it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2014, 20:26:06 »
The art gives the Canis similar look to the Savage Coyote (to bad the mini isn't as sharp) A ATM version would be natural.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2014, 20:38:36 »
Never used one either, one of those Clan mechs that never ended on a typical Inner Sphere battlefield.  It has impressive if heat repressive firepower, but there a 'mech isn't going be deployed much if ever again unless its a left over relic in Clan Wolf's exchange of Warriors during the Reaving.  If wasn't so rare, I'd love a new miniature resculpt it.
at least one did end up in IS hands during the falcon incursion in the 3060's.. it was captured from the falcons and used as a personal mech by Colonel Felix Blucher, the commander of the  Fifteenth Arcturan Guards. evidently to replace his previous mech (Operation Audacity)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2014, 23:20:45 »
Pretty sure Blucher faced a few before he captured his, though I do not remember if it was 2 or 3.  Did Blucher survive the Jihad?

Oh yeah, great mech, the 2 looks interesting in a sort of Blood Kite ERLL manner.  Would be great for the ATM IMO too.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2014, 00:04:27 »
How about replacing the UAC-10's and two ER Large with a pair of ATM-12's and some ER or Pulse lasers?  That could make a mini Rabid-yote.  Lovely review of a often forgotten mech by the way :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Redman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 19 October 2014, 06:22:41 »
I have always preferred to replace the paired ERLLs with a LPL/MPL combo. Same tonnage but much less heat to worry about. Now you can fire the pulsers and jump and stay heat neutral. Likewise you can blast away with the both LPLs and both UACs at double rate with only movement heat to worry about. 6 ten-pointers coming you way is nothing to sneeze at. O:-)
As players, we see units in a completely different light to how they would be viewed in universe: they're not just playing pieces that fight to destruction to achieve victory at any cost in this evening's game session, but instead men and women that represent years of training and investment, and living to fight another day can be viewed more important than a Pyrrhic victory.  -- sillybrit

The Succession Wars are fought over water, ancient machines, and spare parts factories. Control of these elements will lead to final victory and the domination of known space. -- BattleTech Boxed Set, 2nd Edition

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #8 on: 19 October 2014, 07:51:38 »
I love you homeworld second line mech!!!!
Great for those who disrespect 10 point hits.  They will learn, fast.  Even a Direwolf better hope it gets hits first against this.  The Canis has a knack for making armor disappear all over your mech real fast.

I'm on board for dumping the cannons for ATMs (or better still iATMs) }:)

To the patient go the spoils

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #9 on: 19 October 2014, 14:19:23 »
i find it sad that we never got a canon ATM version of this..
A ATM version would be natural.
Would be great for the ATM IMO too.
ATM-12's
I'm on board for dumping the cannons for ATMs (or better still iATMs) }:)

And this, boys and girls, is how we get missiles on a Marauder. What's next? AC20s on a Longbow?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #10 on: 19 October 2014, 14:54:53 »
And this, boys and girls, is how we get missiles on a Marauder. What's next? AC20s on a Longbow?
Well there is an LAC Longbow.

Also we need an 'Z' version of the Canis. 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: 19 October 2014, 20:15:33 »
Think it's mostly because of the similarities with the Savage Coyote art wise, it's impossible not to   the Canis with ATMs... and yes, Mad Cat fans are still slapping LRMs on the Marauders for the same reason.  ;D
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 19 October 2014, 20:42:46 »
ATMs are the signature Coyote weapon, why wouldn't you expect them on a signature Coyote mech?  It's like ACs on a Valkyrie.  Or Heavy Gauss on a Banshee.  Or MRMs on a Dragon.  Or stealth armor on a Vindicator.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 19 October 2014, 20:43:43 »
Also we need an 'Z' version of the Canis.
sounds like a good excuse for an ATM model. or should i say, iATM. :)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #14 on: 19 October 2014, 21:13:59 »
sounds like a good excuse for an ATM model. or should i say, iATM. :)

You should!!!  Then you should go to SSW and make it so!

I'm not typical an irrational fan boy of any weapon systems, but I really want more of these things.

To the patient go the spoils

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 19 October 2014, 21:44:24 »
How 'bout going for IJJs and ER Pulse lasers for a different kind of Society-flavoured Canis?
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #16 on: 19 October 2014, 22:25:14 »
I tried to cram IJJ's in during RS3060's submission but i could never get it "right."  Too many heat sinks and we couldn't use "level 3" tech :)

The Canis... I like the idea the scientists went, "Look!  New and Shinny!  Now we have other, uh, stuff to do.  yeah, other stuff!"

It's not horrible, but the BV is pretty high for the amount of damage you are able to consistently pump out.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 19 October 2014, 22:41:23 »
Speaking of Blucher though, it's a fantastic capture for IS forces.  Able to use similar fire patterns to an old Awesome, but out to 750m, and with a laser to spare in case you really need it, or lose an arm or something.  You close, and he lets the ultras rip and tears your heart out, putting out as many as 6 10-point hits while barely overheating, or 8 if the news is really bad.  Standard armor that's easily replaced with plate commonly-available in the IS.  Oh, and jump jets!  It's something that I could see the Sea Foxes putting into production to sell on the open market.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #18 on: 20 October 2014, 07:00:39 »
ATMs are the signature Coyote weapon, why wouldn't you expect them on a signature Coyote mech?  It's like ACs on a Valkyrie.  Or Heavy Gauss on a Banshee.  Or MRMs on a Dragon.  Or stealth armor on a Vindicator.
The limited samples available of the Canis and Urbanmech IIC would sugest that before 3060 the UAC10 was the signature weapon of the Coyotes.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #19 on: 20 October 2014, 09:01:53 »
Out of curiosity, what about the Coyotl?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #20 on: 20 October 2014, 09:09:11 »
The limited samples available of the Canis and Urbanmech IIC would sugest that before 3060 the UAC10 was the signature weapon of the Coyotes.

I've always kind of leaned to the Large Pulse Laser, if only because they invented it at the dawn of the Golden Century.  Yes you can blame Clan Coyote Scientists for the LPL and iATM's.  Making MunchTech since 2824!! :D

As for the UrbanMech, thats kind of a "it used to have a boom stick so we'll give it another!" approach.  Guillotine Iic goes, "look what we can do with DHS!  yes, two LPL's AND an ERPPC!"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 25 October 2014, 21:26:00 »
You should!!!  Then you should go to SSW and make it so!

I'm not typical an irrational fan boy of any weapon systems, but I really want more of these things.

ATM version up.. required some real tweaking of the design to make everything fit.. the Canis being apparently one of those designs with more tonnage to spend than crits..

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/battlemechs/canis-3-atm-goodness/

i used megamek lab though.. has more options in the design catagories, though it's weapons aren't fully up to date yet..
« Last Edit: 25 October 2014, 21:28:45 by glitterboy2098 »

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 22 December 2022, 15:22:31 »
Shocked neither version sports a Target computer...  TO make better USE of all those 10 point damage blasts..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #23 on: 22 December 2022, 20:00:14 »
Holy thread necromancy Batman!

But since it's up again, I got a mini of the Canis to use in my Blood Spirits.  All those ERLLs, a solid shell, and the same movement profile as a Kite?  It may not be on the MUL but it fits really well in a Spirit assault star.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #24 on: 22 December 2022, 21:03:26 »
I love the look of the Canis.  Its original configuration is okay too as I do like multiple 10-point hits - that's what makes the Annihilator and Awesome 8Q and 9Q scary, after all!  I'd treat it like a Nova Prime and treat a couple of the large lasers as redundant weapons in case one is lost during combat.

I also like to think that the Canis was some kind of non-omni testbed leading to the Savage Coyote.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #25 on: 22 December 2022, 23:11:57 »

This is either a serious coincidence or some massive foreshadowing.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 23 December 2022, 01:57:58 »
Holy thread necromancy Batman!

Didn't realize it was that old..  Especially since i clicked on it, in the "new posts since last visit"..  Thought thus, it was new.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #27 on: 23 December 2022, 15:15:30 »
Didn't realize it was that old..  Especially since i clicked on it, in the "new posts since last visit"..  Thought thus, it was new.

A post was added that should have been in another section of the boards.  You replied after that post bumped the thread.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #28 on: 23 December 2022, 17:51:56 »
The Canis might be one of those mechs that benefits from the ability to dial down your energy weapons. Powering down the lasers to 8 heat / 6 damage may not hit hard, but that's still four nontrivial hits at a range where a lot of machines cannot respond. And your can always crank them back to full power when the range closes or as you lose guns.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 23 December 2022, 21:22:11 »
The Canis might be one of those mechs that benefits from the ability to dial down your energy weapons. Powering down the lasers to 8 heat / 6 damage may not hit hard, but that's still four nontrivial hits at a range where a lot of machines cannot respond. And your can always crank them back to full power when the range closes or as you lose guns.

.. is that actually a rule?
The Suns will shine again

Register