Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: The Tiburon  (Read 12774 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
'Mech of the Week: The Tiburon
« on: 28 November 2014, 19:16:10 »
Tiburon, from TRO:3145 Mercenaries

Clan Sea Fox - previously known as Clan Diamond Shark - has struggled with maintaining a unique military identity over the years. Although the ‘Mechs that they would produce would generally be effective and memorable, with notable designs such as the Grendel, Solitaire, and Mad Cat Mk II, they would always eventually flex their mercantile might and come to sell or trade these popular designs. This would give their Touman great variety, but would leave few surprises for an educated foe. Until 3099, when the final product of the Diamond Shark identity would appear. Until the Tiburon.

One of the first designs that the Sea Foxes have outright refused to sell, the Tiburon clocks in as a solid 35-ton light ‘Mech. The Sharkfoxes did not try to save money here; the Tiburon has an Endo-Steel chassis, Ferro-Fibrous armor and an XL engine. It has thoroughly tested and easily acquirable Communications and Targeting suites (although through some..err..intelligence gaff, the Tiburon has a second Targeting System listed as a Communications System). These are supplemented by two additional electronics systems: the first is a Watchdog CEWS, while the second is an advanced Targeting Computer. The lot can move at speeds reaching up to 118 kph, translated into a 7/11 ground speed on a hex board.

The weapons layout is where the Tiburon shines the most. Four ER Medium Lasers provide the main punch, while two ER Small Lasers and two SMR-2 Launchers (sharing one ton of ammunition) offer an extra close-ranged punch. While on paper a total of 6.5 tons of weaponry and ammunition might seem anemic, especially for a 7/11 XL Engine'd light, what makes it special is its ability to fully dissipate its entire heat load: the Tiburon has 15 double heat sinks, and remains completely heat-neutral at a running alpha. If we do the math, the Tiburon can put out up to 44 points of damage and remain cool - something that few other light ‘Mechs are able to match, let alone beat. And with a Targeting Computer guiding the ER Smalls and Mediums, this firepower is likely to strike. These weapons are entirely hidden behind retractable ports, a feature that not only simplifies maintenance, but also lessens the threat profile of the ‘Mech when negotiating with potential clients.

The toughness of the Tiburon is another surprising feature. It has a near-maxed shell of armor, laid out in a 17(5)/11(4) (center/side torsos), 11/16 (arms/legs) pattern. This is relatively standard for a ‘Mech of its side, but the single ton of ammo that it has is not only located in a crit-packed location, but is also protected by revolutionary CASE II. The number of heat sinks it has means that engine criticals are easily dealt with. Even if the Tiburon loses a hole side torso, it can continue to keep up a high rate of firepower without overheating and stay in the fight. The ECM from the Watchdog CEWS adds a final layer of protection at close ranges.

When each feature of the Tiburon is put together as a whole, the Tiburon becomes a very dangerous customer. It can take on a large number of light and medium ‘Mechs, but can also  threaten slower heavy or assault ‘Mechs with severe backstabs. If a better pilot finds him/herself in a Tiburon, they may then start using the Targeting Computer for aimed shots, putting out a potential 38 points of damage into a single (rear?) location. This amount of firepower makes forcing PSRs a breeze, and the spread out but solid damage makes them a natural team player with the other two key light 'Mechs that the Sharkfoxes use: Solitaires, and Piranhas. Running a combined Star of the three offers excellent holepunching, critseeking and sandblasting potential, all moving at quite decent speeds. Tiburons also work quite well by themselves; a pack of them can chew through armor at a positively disgusting rate for such light 'Mechs. And don't forget about the CEWS! There are many TacOps rules that can be taken advantage of here - Ghost Targets being the favorite for many, but the woods-negating function of Active Probes is another function that can be used to help take out heavier opponents hiding in woods.

This isn’t to say that the Tiburon is some sort of invincible UberMech. The 7/11 movement speed for XL’d ‘Mechs reaches its ideal weight band at 50 tons, which means that well designed heavier ‘Mechs - the Fenris, the Grendel, the Crimson Langur, or the Black Lanner, to give four examples - can reasonably be expected to outright outperform the Tiburon. Quicker sniper ‘Mechs will also cause the Tiburon many issues, so if at all possible, avoid engaging things like the Locust IIC 8, Wulfen A/B, Viper B and the like.

The Tiburon is a fine reminder that, even if the Sharks have lost their name, they still haven't lost their teeth.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

MUL: http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/6552/tiburon-standard
IWM: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=9045
Camospecs: http://www.camospecs.com/MiniList.asp?Action=Detail&ID=1653
« Last Edit: 23 November 2015, 16:45:28 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
Re: 'Mech of the Week: The Tiburon
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2014, 19:27:40 »
Nice article on a good little mech.  I'm just not fond of lights, but the Tiburon is a well designed mech.  7/11 with that armor and damage potential is truly scary.

Also, did anyone else notice this thing looks like a giant elemental???

To the patient go the spoils

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2014, 20:55:53 »
Even in 3999 no other faction has access to it!!! (MUL), which is it's one weakness. When I first saw it I loved it, but the only thing is no variants: somehow adding JJ'or turning I into a sniper itself would make the variants and this mech the greatest.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2014, 21:04:30 »

Hmm, maybe that's why I love it so much. It's seriously in my top 10 in terms of looks.

Even in 3999 no other faction has access to it!!! (MUL), which is it's one weakness. When I first saw it I loved it, but the only thing is no variants: somehow adding JJ'or turning I into a sniper itself would make the variants and this mech the greatest.

Well, a weakness for some people is a strength for others. I for one like finally having a true, 100% Sharkfox only design.
There is one non-canon (as of now) variant for it that appeared in the clicky game, is simply swapped out the ER Mediums for Heavies instead. Heat becomes a bit more touchy, but damn would it ever have a hell of a punch.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2014, 23:15:50 »
I've played with this one in MegaMek some and have been impressed with everything except the BV tag, which is one of the highest for Clan lights (not THE highest, but it's up there pretty high.)  It does do it's job well though and it's speed pairs nicely (minus the jump jets) with the Grendel.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2014, 03:56:50 »
A great review of a superb mech, we should be happy that the Clans didn't have a light this good in service at the time of the Invasion.  Great stuff :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2014, 10:13:06 »
nasty little bugger.  Love it.  great summery
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 29 November 2014, 10:53:06 »
I've played with this one in MegaMek some and have been impressed with everything except the BV tag, which is one of the highest for Clan lights (not THE highest, but it's up there pretty high.)  It does do it's job well though and it's speed pairs nicely (minus the jump jets) with the Grendel.

Yeah, the BV for it is insane. An unfortunate side effect of pretty much any Clan ER Medium + TargComp design.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #8 on: 29 November 2014, 11:00:49 »
I love that the devs decided the Foxes should build a mech for themselves.  And then made it one of the best light mechs ever in the game.  It's well thought out and very well designed.

Molossian Dog IIC

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the sword ... die by dysentery.
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2014, 14:24:03 »
A light Mech design where everything was done just right.
Costly in BV maybe, but in-universe it is a straightforward monster.

There might be more specialized Lights out there but for general battle duty and pointman jobs you will have trouble finding something better. I hate it and I hate the fact that the Sharks have it.  :)

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 29 November 2014, 15:07:02 »
Sure, it is an okay, if not even good Clan mech, but considering it is the Sharks' signature mech, it is actually pretty underwhelming TBH.
Movement is okay, weaponry is okay but limited in range, Heat dissipation ability is WAY too good, EW and targeting helpers as a package are great. That's how I see it.
Seriously, 22 heat dissipation is the one you would usually want considering the armament. That leaves 4 tons to work with (although some will most likely have to be spend on heatsinks again if one wishes for more/better weapons).

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 29 November 2014, 15:27:02 »
Sure, it is an okay, if not even good Clan mech, but considering it is the Sharks' signature mech, it is actually pretty underwhelming TBH.
Movement is okay, weaponry is okay but limited in range, Heat dissipation ability is WAY too good, EW and targeting helpers as a package are great. That's how I see it.
Seriously, 22 heat dissipation is the one you would usually want considering the armament. That leaves 4 tons to work with (although some will most likely have to be spend on heatsinks again if one wishes for more/better weapons).

It's partially hampered by the DA stats it got (like many other 'Mechs) but going for heatsinks here really isn't a terrible choice. For a 'Mech that does go with fewer heatsinks, one has to look no farther than the classic Hellion. The C config goes for 4 TargComp'd ER Mediums, along with an ATM-6 instead of the secondary weapons array the Tiburon has.

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 29 November 2014, 15:32:33 »
It's partially hampered by the DA stats it got

I know. ;) Just wanted to point it out that it's really not THAT great since everybody seemed to agree that in fact it was (not saying that it's a bad canon mech, far from it actually).
Good catch with the Hellion.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 29 November 2014, 15:36:13 »
I know. ;) Just wanted to point it out that it's really not THAT great since everybody seemed to agree that in fact it was (not saying that it's a bad canon mech, far from it actually).
Good catch with the Hellion.

Of course everyone has different results with 'Mechs that they use, but I've had fantastic luck playing with the Tiburon. Like I said earlier, few Light 'Mechs can actually match the damage profile of the Tiburon without overheating and I've found closing to be relatively simple with it's movement profile.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #14 on: 29 November 2014, 16:30:03 »
Nice article on a good little mech.  I'm just not fond of lights, but the Tiburon is a well designed mech.  7/11 with that armor and damage potential is truly scary.

The art doesn't say it as much as the DA models, but I always thought it looked like a Nova Cat on a diet.

And it scares the hell out of me. GREAT little Mech.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #15 on: 29 November 2014, 17:31:19 »
The art doesn't say it as much as the DA models, but I always thought it looked like a Nova Cat on a diet.

And it scares the hell out of me. GREAT little Mech.
[/quote

The cockpit for sure!

It's a darn good looking little beasty either way.

Redshirt

• Iron Banner Addict
  • Lieutenant
  • Please wait while I make my Perception Roll
« Reply #16 on: 29 November 2014, 19:25:06 »
A really good light mech. Sadly, given given it's relative faction exclusivity, it is unfortunate that the Sharks didn't give them out like candy.
I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

This is a Sham! This is a Mockery! This is a... a... TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!!!!!

Wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You're the creamy filling of wrongness in the middle of the wrong donut with brightly colored sprinkles of wrongness on top. You're wrong.

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 29 November 2014, 20:07:10 »
It has thoroughly tested and easily acquirable Communications and Targeting suites (although through some..err..intelligence gaff, the Tiburon has a second Targeting System listed as a Communications System).

That sounds like a typical Clan setup. What warrior doesn't like communicating with a targeting system?

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 30 November 2014, 00:52:22 »
As a fan of the SharkFoxes, I love this thing.

Speed is good but more than a few designs can still catch it if need be. Armor is near maxed but it is still a light mech so...yeah. Overall, what this thing is supposed to do, it does awesomely but that does not mean it is a perfect mech that can do everything well.
Made by HikageMaru

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 30 November 2014, 12:43:04 »
That sounds like a typical Clan setup. What warrior doesn't like communicating with a targeting system?

OK, I lol'd. This makes way more sense than it should.

Speed is good but more than a few designs can still catch it if need be. Armor is near maxed but it is still a light mech so...yeah. Overall, what this thing is supposed to do, it does awesomely but that does not mean it is a perfect mech that can do everything well.

Well said.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #20 on: 30 November 2014, 13:23:55 »
How many do you think have ended up in other peoples' hands?  Do you think they protect the design like the Revival Wolves did the Orion IIC?  I wonder if any ended up with the Fox units in the Clan Protectorate?

Finally, I do not think it is ever mentioned but . . . do we know where it is built?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #21 on: 30 November 2014, 13:57:34 »
How many do you think have ended up in other peoples' hands?  Do you think they protect the design like the Revival Wolves did the Orion IIC?  I wonder if any ended up with the Fox units in the Clan Protectorate?

Finally, I do not think it is ever mentioned but . . . do we know where it is built?

I'm not sure. Even if they don't defend the design, the Foxes pretty much have the ability to choose when and where they want to battle nowadays. They aren't actively seeking combat outside of basic Trials, and I haven't read anything that suggests that other factions are raiding key Fox worlds. I'd imagine that if the Foxes lose a Trial, they can always offer certain concessions in order to reclaim Tiburons salvaged by their opponent.

It's primarily built on Twycross. It might have other manufacturing sites somewhere (like in the huge unknown that is the Chaine Cluster).

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 30 November 2014, 18:12:56 »
Meh. I'd rather have the original design it was based on. At least the Hellion has Omni capability.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #23 on: 30 November 2014, 18:16:57 »
In fairness, I think most people would take the Hellion over just about any other light 'Mech in the game, all other things being equal.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 30 November 2014, 18:30:04 »
That's for sure. About the only other light design I'd even glance at compared to it would be the Adder and the Incubus.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #25 on: 30 November 2014, 21:04:03 »
I tried on a whim using a Heavy laser version of this puppy.

bowel voiding terror to my victom that got eviscerated by it, then bowel voiding terror on me when I shut down and got tanked by a charge next turn from a Dasher II.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #26 on: 30 November 2014, 23:30:13 »
If you are going to alpha rather than bracket I think you need to take a page from the Nova H, give it JJ.  A supercharger might also make it interesting to close with Heavy lasers.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 30 November 2014, 23:45:40 »
If you are going to alpha rather than bracket I think you need to take a page from the Nova H, give it JJ.  A supercharger might also make it interesting to close with Heavy lasers.

If you're going the latter route, why not go whole hog and mix in MASC as well?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #28 on: 01 December 2014, 08:06:12 »
Have any of the variants of the Tiburon been canonized? As far I know there only one version of the Tiburon thats official.
I've seen old MWDA dossiers of different weapons, but I don't think their canon as of yet. Least in record sheet form.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #29 on: 01 December 2014, 11:35:09 »
Correct. There is only the one variant. The heavy laser model appears to be a personal ride.

Register