Author Topic: VotW: Pilum Heavy Tank  (Read 8131 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
VotW: Pilum Heavy Tank
« on: 14 December 2014, 17:45:37 »

We're back, with apologies for the  disappearance for a couple of weeks. The brief thing is that after a series of cuts at my job, I'm now doing three full-time jobs' worth of work in a week, and the amount of extra work being done both at the office and at home is significant. Today is the first full day off I've had in a few weeks, and it's left me with little time for gaming or any of that. I'll make an effort to be better about this from here on, however, even if it's smaller articles like this one. Today's article is a request from our good friend Worktroll, who requested a closer look at an interesting fire support tank called the Pilum.

One of the classic combat vehicles of the early days of Battletech was the Striker, the poster-child of the second TRO in the game's history in 3026. The Striker was simple in concept- give a modest-sized wheeled vehicle a mid-sized LRM rack and a big SRM rack, and it can hit targets at any range for a wallet-friendly price tag. A group of Strikers could rain down LRMs on an enemy force, with mobility to keep the range and the massed SRM-spam to make sure anyone who wanted to press the issue regretted it. Simple- but Valiant, the company behind the Striker, wanted to build something a bit bigger. They sure pulled that off, at least. The 'swollen Striker' became known as the Pilum, and while it wasn't considered a success early on it's proven to be a winner over time- the largest wheeled vehicle able to be built in the game, Pilums take the simple Striker concept and make it into a whole lot more of the same. Let's take a look.

The Pilum starts with a 70-ton wheeled chassis, double the size of the Striker. While unable to meet the original speed of it's smaller cousin, the Pilum reaches a respectable 4/6 movement curve, with the bonuses a wheeled chassis offers in certain terrain to boot. That's not bad- that means Pilums can pace the usual fire support platforms like Archers, and even outrun others like the LRM carrier and Longbow. This is accomplished by going with a 260 fusion engine, a luxury that boosts the price tag of the Pilum but one that makes all things possible here. While this might deter sales to some commands, the Pilum was intended for the large checkbooks of the Federated Commonwealth (and later the Federated Suns after the breakup)- a look at similar-era projects like the Berserker suggests that the AFFC of the 3050s was not particularly concerned with price, only effectiveness.

A solid ten-ton sheath of ferro-fibrous armor covers the Pilum, unusually tough for a fire support tank. The vehicle was one of the first tank designs of the post-Clan invasion explosion of new technologies to gain this kind of armor, and it's a welcome sight for Pilum crews. Forty points of armor coat the turret and the front, with thirty-three points in the sides and the unusually-tough rear. The kind of fast-moving harassing units that usually cause LRM boats fits (hovercraft, VTOLs, fast light Mechs like the Spider, etc.) wil have a tough time bringing down a Pilum before it can call for help- other than its motive systems, it's a tough vehicle to knock out.

Knocking it out though should be a priority for the enemy. Pilums aren't ridiculously well-armed, but it's enough to be a big problem for an enemy. The formula isn't all that different from the Striker- just a lot more of it. Where the Striker has an LRM-10 to rain down fire with, Pilums go with stereo LRM-15 racks in the turret to make for a serious world of hurt on an enemy. Backed by a pair of Artemis IV computers and a three-ton ammo bay (twelve rounds per launcher), the Pilum can make life seriously miserable on an enemy. The author isn't a big Artemis fan in general, but at the time of the Pilum's debut the Guardian ECM system was far less prevalent than it later became, so it makes sense from that standpoint- the idea of removing them in favor of more ammunition for siege operations and alternate ammo types is appealing, but that's up to personal choice.

Backing the LRM racks is an array of short-range defensive options to hold off harassers- where the Striker relied on an SRM-6 to do the job, the standard 3050s love of the Streak SRM-2 dictated two of those questionable-value weapons to be installed in the turret, sharing a ton of ammo. The loss of the SRM's versatility in terms of ammunition (no more inferno or flechette options) is made up for by... er... well, it's not, and this should be switched out for the old SRM-6 rack at the first opportunity in the author's opinion. Fortunately, they're backed by a pair of fore-mounted medium pulse lasers- weapons that the author normally avoids, but which here work well. They cover the LRM's dead zones nicely, and backed by the SRMs can give a light enemy some serious problems.

Solid, right? Use a Pilum just the way you would use about any other LRM boat like the Sturmfeur or Rhino- just know that it's tough enough to take a few hits, so you can afford to send Pilums into situations that you might not risk most similar vehicles in. A great addition to FedSuns formations- and a huge threat to the enemies of the Davions. A well-used platoon of Pilums is a game-changer, for sure.

While there are rumors of close-combat versions out there replacing the LRM racks with MRM or SRM racks (seriously?), no solid info exists. Only one variant officially exists, stripping the LRMs in favor of a single Arrow IV artillery system. Four tons of ammunition feed the launcher, giving plenty of options for ammo choices. The rest of the vehicle, including the defensive armament, remains identical. Obviously this is a great choice for mobile formations in need of artillery support, and should be given a VERY healthy amount of respect. Very reminiscent of the old Chapparal in a lot of ways, really.

So, you know what to do- have some fun with the Pilum, give it some tests and let us know what happens. Brew up some variants and let us know what you come up with- do you like the idea of replacing the launchers with other missile systems, for example? You know how it works. Thanks for reading, and we'll be back next week with another request, see you then!
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: VotW: Pilum Heavy Tank
« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2014, 17:58:16 »
Never used the Pilum myself, but fought the Arrow version once.   Inferno IV kilt my Alacorn /cry.
Nice tank over all.  Good for city defense on rich worlds.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2014, 22:02:50 »
Nice writeup, reminded me of a pretty good tank I had forgotten. I love the armour and the symmetrical loadout is oddly pleasing. Seriously, no refits for this guy?

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2014, 22:30:05 »
Nice writeup, reminded me of a pretty good tank I had forgotten. I love the armour and the symmetrical loadout is oddly pleasing. Seriously, no refits for this guy?

Just that Arrow model. I know, I was surprised as well- as boring as I find MMLs, this seems like a good candidate to pop off the Streaks and LRMs for some MML racks. My fascination with the utility of mortars probably isn't all that effective on a vehicle this big, but intriguing to ponder regardless. And I'll admit to having pondered a quartet of LAC-2s to come up with an AA machine, but didn't really like the outcome. The non-canon but canon-mentioned SRM and MRM field mods deserve some exploration as well if you're so inclined, but on the modern battlefield I feel like 4/6 with a load of SRMs is a recipe for not getting to fire before you get pooched.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2014, 22:44:50 »
The Pilum always felt like a mixed bag imo. Not a bad design at all but just...mixed. I know I keep saying that but I just can't help it. Twin LRM15's downrange even with Artemis never impressed me all that much and neither did it's supporting up close weapons when it needed to use them.

This thing did however, last much longer than my usual LRM carriers so there is that and the 4/6 is good enough to move around when needed. I tended to mix a few more heavier LRM designs with these in order to both get Macross missle spam and some much needed armor to protect themselves with as things get closer ranged.

The Arrow IV one, however, is freakin awesome for its time...loved using it.
Made by HikageMaru

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2014, 22:56:16 »
A C3 slave version would have been a useful refit, and one the Suns would use.

Thanks, JHB!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2014, 23:34:55 »
It's a self-defending missile tank. While with the Artemis IV you need LOS to the bad guys, the load of light weapons, SSRM-2s and MPLs are a nice to keep anyone under your LRM minimum range honest. Originally, I'm thinking these went to premier AFFC RCT's like the Davion Guard and Crucis Lancers.

I kind of like it now that you brought it up, it might end up in my 3085 Militia Brigade.

As for the Arrow IV version, there's two options to have it. Either run it as organic support to armored units on board, or it's your (notional) off-board Arrow IV system.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2014, 23:41:40 »
The Arrow IV version is a useful way of providing AA support. Anti-aircraft Arrows can hurt even big Clan ASFs, and the LRM versions aren't exactly shabby in the AA role either.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 15 December 2014, 00:25:13 »
Funnily enough I never used the Pilum. Every time I reached for one, I instead reached for a Demolisher Arrow IV or a pair of Strikers.

It's solid, no argument there. Just lacked the appeal of other units. Which is probably something of a benefit. The Pilum doesn't have the "kiil it factor" of a Hunchback or Demolisher.

-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 15 December 2014, 01:45:53 »
Does the same job as a Rhino only better, nice! :)
I'm surprised I overlooked the Pilum all this time.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 16 December 2014, 20:20:36 »
Nice article.
I was going to say I never heard of it, but I did. It's name is the only thing I can actually recall, though.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 16 December 2014, 21:08:05 »
I wish I'd seen this sooner, because I've been looking for something like the Pilum for awhile. It provides firepower equivalent to a medium LRM 'mech, defenses that match or surpass said 'mech, and a low enough BV to slot into most games without trouble!
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #12 on: 16 December 2014, 21:11:55 »
I wish I'd seen this sooner, because I've been looking for something like the Pilum for awhile. It provides firepower equivalent to a medium LRM 'mech, defenses that match or surpass said 'mech, and a low enough BV to slot into most games without trouble!

And when you consider that the FedSuns doesn't build something like the Apollo, Trebuchet, or Cobra, that's a handy thing to have around. A couple of LRM-15s on a wheeled chassis able to pace most heavy/assault formations is never bad to have around.

Now, that's not to say the FedSuns don't have LRM units, before someone jumps on me. The Dervish is nice, but throws 20 per turn (for the 3050s, recall). Whitworth, same thing. Valkyrie has an LRM-10. If you want to look a bit later, there's stuff like the Argus variant, etc., but really the Pilum is one of the better options Davion has available for heavy LRM support- not that the AC-happy Feddies probably are all that upset about that fact.  O0

+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #13 on: 16 December 2014, 23:10:40 »
Would this be a viable chassis in 3145 for ELRMs?  Put a supercharger on it?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 16 December 2014, 23:51:29 »
Would this be a viable chassis in 3145 for ELRMs?  Put a supercharger on it?

It's a possibility, but it would be a major pain in the ass to accomplish.

As for the Pilum itself, it's a nasty tank that makes me sad that it's not Capellan.. on the other hand, as an ardent supporter of the Confederated Suns, it makes me happy that I can still play with it.  And, while the the stock model is pretty much a Catapult with wheels (which is always a good thing), I much prefer the Arrow IV variant, which is.. also a Catapult with wheels..  ???

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #15 on: 17 December 2014, 07:39:10 »
It's a possibility, but it would be a major pain in the ass to accomplish.

As for the Pilum itself, it's a nasty tank that makes me sad that it's not Capellan.. on the other hand, as an ardent supporter of the Confederated Suns, it makes me happy that I can still play with it.  And, while the the stock model is pretty much a Catapult with wheels (which is always a good thing), I much prefer the Arrow IV variant, which is.. also a Catapult with wheels..  ???

Intriguing point... So when should we expect the twin-HPPC Pilum, by that reasoning? ;)

(Seriously, that's a good observation though, it really is just a Catapult. Good call!)

+Crow T. Robot+

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 17 December 2014, 12:32:18 »
Stealth Pilums from during the time the Suns had Victoria? :)
-Joel BC-

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #17 on: 17 December 2014, 19:04:46 »
Stealth Pilums from during the time the Suns had Victoria? :)

...now THAT'S an intriguing thought. Drop the Streaks and move the lasers to the turret, switch armor to stealth and add an ECM to power it, add an AMS and a ton of ammo, and one more ton of LRM ammo... I'm just talking out of my rear-CT here and don't know if that all works, but in my head anyway that's a pretty nasty customer to deal with.

+Crow T. Robot+

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 17 December 2014, 19:20:45 »
It'd be worth dropping the lasers, for maybe a bigger consolidated SRM rack. Otherwise you'd be paying out your rear exhaust port for the tonnage for the additional heatsinks.

W.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #19 on: 17 December 2014, 20:13:38 »
It'd be worth dropping the lasers, for maybe a bigger consolidated SRM rack. Otherwise you'd be paying out your rear exhaust port for the tonnage for the additional heatsinks.

W.

Oooooh, yeah, forgot about that part. Yeah, I'm fine with that. That's four tons removed, adds up to an SRM-6 and a ton of ammo. I'm fine with that.

+Crow T. Robot+

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #20 on: 17 December 2014, 20:18:56 »
Oooooh, yeah, forgot about that part. Yeah, I'm fine with that. That's four tons removed, adds up to an SRM-6 and a ton of ammo. I'm fine with that.
while your at it, why not drop the streaks for a 2nd SRM6 and a 2nd ton of ammo? not only would the potential firepower go up.. but you could really have fun with Inferno's and other special ammo.. which is very Capellan.

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 17 December 2014, 20:21:33 »
while your at it, why not drop the streaks for a 2nd SRM6 and a 2nd ton of ammo? not only would the potential firepower go up.. but you could really have fun with Inferno's and other special ammo.. which is very Capellan.

Well I was referring to a Davion Stealth Pilum. The Feddies did control a Liao factory for 30 years or so.
-Joel BC-

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #22 on: 17 December 2014, 20:48:40 »

For mine, I'd already dropped them to gain the AMS and its ammo, the extra ton of LRM, and the ECM.

+Crow T. Robot+

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #23 on: 17 December 2014, 20:49:42 »
still.. dropping the streaks for a standard SRM6 seems like a good way to increase the firepower and versatility.

thinking on that.. what if the SRM version basically swapped around the LRM's and SRm's? dropping the LRM15's down to say, one LRM10, and dropping the streaks and using all the saved tonnage to mount a bunch of SRM6's..
(actually, playing around with Megameklab.. dropping the missiles and their ammo you can mount 1 LRM10 w/ 24 shots, and 4 SRM6's w/60 shots total.. giving you 15 shots per SRM rack)
« Last Edit: 17 December 2014, 20:55:24 by glitterboy2098 »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 17 December 2014, 21:09:29 »
The heavy light SRM carrier ;)

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #25 on: 17 December 2014, 22:08:14 »
An SRM carrier that can cover its approach with smoke, or hide and fool people into thinking it an older Striker with IDF fire to sucker them in...that could be fun!
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #26 on: 18 December 2014, 00:16:42 »
And when you consider that the FedSuns doesn't build something like the Apollo, Trebuchet, or Cobra, that's a handy thing to have around. A couple of LRM-15s on a wheeled chassis able to pace most heavy/assault formations is never bad to have around.

Now, that's not to say the FedSuns don't have LRM units, before someone jumps on me. The Dervish is nice, but throws 20 per turn (for the 3050s, recall). Whitworth, same thing. Valkyrie has an LRM-10. If you want to look a bit later, there's stuff like the Argus variant, etc., but really the Pilum is one of the better options Davion has available for heavy LRM support- not that the AC-happy Feddies probably are all that upset about that fact.  O0
Well, I'm sure Feddies found some Archers, Crusaders and Catapults like everyone else but point taken ;) The Pilum is a nice basket full of LRMs when your unit needs some.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 18 December 2014, 08:30:28 »
I'm in the minority but I like the Streaks. His with as many missiles (on average) as the SRM6 but uses multiple launchers for redundancy. You also get nearly double the shots total for increased longevity. I'll take the trade off in this case.

A variant with a large laser and banks of SRMs would be a gray companion/bodyguard to the standard version or as an urban fighter.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #28 on: 18 December 2014, 16:06:36 »
Not a bad tank. I hate wheeled vehicles for the mobility issues but this is a nasty customer and a good replacement for Apollos or Cobras. However, with some tricks you can get a tracked vehicle without a great loss of firepower and it is a real pity, IMHO. That stealth variant (without Artemis IV, of course) may be great.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #29 on: 26 December 2014, 21:05:48 »
For a hypothetical MML variant, there's space for two MML-9 launchers and nine tons of ammo, with half a ton remaining.

More if you take of the Artemis.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Register