Author Topic: Mars Rising - Marian Hegemony V: Barbari ite Domum!  (Read 101639 times)

Martius

• Captain
Re: Mars Rising - Marian Hegemony V: Barbari ite Domum!
« Reply #1050 on: 17 September 2023, 03:04:26 »
I like the XVth that was stationed in Carnuntum ( if you ever get to Austria and like the Romans it is a place to visit - there are not just some fascinating ruins but they did rebuild some of the houses and there is always going something on- from courses in roman cooking ( some things are an aquired taste) to lectures covering medicine, architecture, clothes and crafts to gladiatorial combat.  Not sure if I am allowed to drop a link here though.). The Xth was in Vindobona and the IInd in Virunum so of course I have a soft spot for them as well.

For the Marians I am a IInd and IIIrd legio guy- but I alsp love the Moriturii. Fun writeup in the Shrapnel btw- I enjoyed it. :smilie_happy_thumbup: Plenty of adventure hooks hidden there, too.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1051 on: 17 September 2023, 04:09:16 »
I like the XVth that was stationed in Carnuntum ( if you ever get to Austria and like the Romans it is a place to visit - there are not just some fascinating ruins but they did rebuild some of the houses and there is always going something on- from courses in roman cooking ( some things are an aquired taste) to lectures covering medicine, architecture, clothes and crafts to gladiatorial combat.  Not sure if I am allowed to drop a link here though.). The Xth was in Vindobona and the IInd in Virunum so of course I have a soft spot for them as well.

For the Marians I am a IInd and IIIrd legio guy- but I alsp love the Moriturii. Fun writeup in the Shrapnel btw- I enjoyed it. :smilie_happy_thumbup: Plenty of adventure hooks hidden there, too.

Anything worth mentioning about the Mortuori and the Hegemony in those years? You can put spoiler shading if you want

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #1052 on: 17 September 2023, 07:17:51 »
It is a writeup of people who were sentenced to serve in the Moriturii- for very different reasons. Some are real scumbags, others just crossed the wrong guy or were a bit unlucky. No crunch there but plenty of well written and- for me- enjoyable fluff.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1053 on: 17 September 2023, 07:21:04 »
It is a writeup of people who were sentenced to serve in the Moriturii- for very different reasons. Some are real scumbags, others just crossed the wrong guy or were a bit unlucky. No crunch there but plenty of well written and- for me- enjoyable fluff.

Thanks Martius

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1054 on: 17 September 2023, 19:40:27 »

Glad you liked it!
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1055 on: 18 September 2023, 08:54:56 »
The entries were interesting, the sentencing of a veteran who was teaching at the military academy comparing current actions to past losses . . . would be troubling.  If you cannot examine your defeats to learn lessons you will repeat the same actions.  The Secundus Cohort CO who was the first to surrender for retreat off Gibraltar is also IMO a bad sign for the faction going forward- it could make the Marians the latest 'hopeless battle syndrome' faction.

Now, the corrupt Senator who is sentenced to not only serve but can only eat the 'c-rats from WWII' . . . er, canned rats from 3SW?  Yeah, hard to object to that bit.  Rest of the group of 'recruits' would be what is expected . . . and the spy being sentenced for bouncing a Senator's wife also fits IMO.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1056 on: 18 September 2023, 10:36:44 »
Those condemned to the Mortuori present in the article are a compendium of backstabbing, bad political decisions, making references to a defeat in a very politicized environment (the Bellorum), the one who slept with the wrong woman, the one who saw what he did not I had to see, and a patriot Marian, Gladiator/Guerrilla with the II Legio in Illyria and who stepped on the keys of a senator and was "promoted" after making the senator lose money and family, of the characters I sympathize the most

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1057 on: 18 September 2023, 11:57:49 »
Condemning a officer for calling a defeat a defeat is a bad sign.  The military academy needs to examine both failures & successes to produce effective officers.  Two of the 'recruits' were officers sentenced for working with reality- the instructor & the serving officer who preserved lives and equipment.

I was actually expecting the one with the Celtic name to be a New St Andrews recruit from the 'client' state, but seems we missed that opportunity.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #1058 on: 18 September 2023, 13:07:54 »
Yeah. IMO it shows well why the Legiones are getting their asses kicked.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1059 on: 18 September 2023, 14:08:58 »
More background to make the Marians appear idiotic, incompetent and worthy of being conquered by the Canopus Poster Girls, unless the Mortuori pull an ace out of their sleeve or the next author to write about the Hegemony decides to let him go. in another direction

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1060 on: 18 September 2023, 15:50:28 »
The goal wasn’t to make the Hegemony look dumb - but to highlight the pitfalls a character might face in the stratified, militarized, corrupt, and war-torn Hegemony, especially with hints that the Emperor is starting to lose his marbles.  Above all, it’s either plot books for a Marian campaign or a rogues gallery for anyone wanting to field a Dirty Dozen or Suicide Squad-style force.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2023, 16:18:54 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1061 on: 18 September 2023, 16:26:18 »
The goal wasn’t to make the Hegemony look dumb - but to highlight the pitfalls a character might face in the stratified, militarized, corrupt, and war-torn Hegemony, especially with hints that the Emperor is starting to lose his marbles.  Above all, it’s either plot books for a Marian campaign or a rogues gallery for anyone wanting to field a Dirty Dozen or Suicide Squad-style force.

I understand it Eric, and if that's what it's for, it fits very well.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1062 on: 18 September 2023, 16:43:40 »
More background to make the Marians appear idiotic, incompetent and worthy of being conquered by the Canopus Poster Girls, unless the Mortuori pull an ace out of their sleeve or the next author to write about the Hegemony decides to let him go. in another direction

It is not idiotic, it is a historic pitfall of monarchy/dictatorships- criticism of actions/results are 'disloyalty' from social inferiors and even some peers.
Colt Ward

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1063 on: 18 September 2023, 22:05:11 »
Nah, politics breeding inefficiency is par for the course in aristocratic regimes.  There's plenty of example of in in all of the Successor States, to say nothing of Real Life.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1064 on: 09 November 2023, 17:10:04 »
Anyone else taken the Marauder II -4H and replaced the ER PPC's with standard PPC's?

Makes it a much better assault mech.

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #1065 on: 10 November 2023, 11:02:44 »
Very true! It should be a rather common field modification IMO.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #1066 on: 10 November 2023, 11:06:26 »
I'll stick with the stock model. It lets a commander snipe a bit without getting delusions of combat(which isn't his job, commanding is), would also having a nice Go Away button for dealing with headhunters.

If I want a rocket-armed combat assault mech for the Legions, I use the Cyclops.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1067 on: 10 November 2023, 11:12:21 »
I'd rather have a few Century of RL PBI to help defense.t

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1068 on: 11 November 2023, 17:31:47 »
I usually mod the 4H with DHS and remove some of the rocket launchers for more energy weapons.  The Hegemony doesn't have enough assault mechs to justify throwing away a 100 ton Marauder II in short to medium range rocket launchers barrages.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1069 on: 11 November 2023, 18:16:58 »
If your closing to RL range, your screwier than a looney!

There supposed to be used as an extra firepower when needed.

Stay at range and if something comes close, pop them off at the Primary Alpha Target.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #1070 on: 03 December 2023, 14:43:40 »
With Rec guide 33 coming in 2024 I'm hoping we will see Marian variants for the Gladiator, Icarus, and Emperor. Maybe even some more Marian fluff.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1071 on: 03 December 2023, 15:49:41 »
With Rec guide 33 coming in 2024 I'm hoping we will see Marian variants for the Gladiator, Icarus, and Emperor. Maybe even some more Marian fluff.

Let's hope we get that and something else, some other Proliferation mech or maybe some other new or modern one or maybe finally news of production of a couple of ASF

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #1072 on: 04 December 2023, 03:10:07 »
Me too. Those 3 Mechs and others that are produced in the Hegemony should get some interesting fluff

ASFs maybe Centurion?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1073 on: 04 December 2023, 07:18:36 »

Emperor?  Blasphemy! The Hegemony has a Caesar!   :wink:

Too bad the Davions and Republic snapped up most of the good Roman names early on.  Be nice if the Hegemony made the Legionnaire, Centurion, Prefect, Caesar, Praetorian, Pilum, Trajan, Phalanx, Longinus, and Brutus, instead of just the Gladius.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2023, 07:21:23 by Mendrugo »

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1074 on: 04 December 2023, 08:59:58 »

Too bad the Davions and Republic snapped up most of the good Roman names early on.  Be nice if the Hegemony made the Legionnaire, Centurion, Prefect, Caesar, Praetorian, Pilum, Trajan, Phalanx, Longinus, and Brutus, instead of just the Gladius.

Yes, the Davion, Republic and Marik stole quite a few interesting names from us, although there are other possible ones.
Astero, Falcata, Optione, Belisarius, Tribune, Trinarii, Princeps and many others

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #1075 on: 04 December 2023, 11:05:26 »
Tribune already exists, as the prettiest wheeled unit in all of Battletech.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1076 on: 04 December 2023, 11:10:53 »
Tribune already exists, as the prettiest wheeled unit in all of Battletech.

We can always add a beautiful Battlemech entry with the name, total Centurion there are both Mech and ASF

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1077 on: 04 December 2023, 11:22:03 »
don't even try to top being able to have a unit that is comprised of an eagle and an eagle that were transported to system by an eagle, which were all purchased with eagles.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1078 on: 04 December 2023, 13:55:14 »

And Testudo

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #1079 on: 04 December 2023, 14:17:46 »
don't even try to top being able to have a unit that is comprised of an eagle and an eagle that were transported to system by an eagle, which were all purchased with eagles.
Well or some Marauders BA on a Marauder

Rome will always give us too many names to give to Mechs/Tanks or ASF or DS or JS as long as someone else does not use them first.

Bucelarii (Provincial Cavalry)
Clibanarii (Heavy Cavalry)
Celeres (High Command Horse Custody)
Classiarii (This is for DS or Ares or Foxbatt type vehicles)
Palatinae (if you ever want to give the O'Really a mech guard, well this is an option to avoid falling into the Praetorian Guard)
Urbanae (used to mention Urban combat units or give their combat ability Example Legatus Urbanae)
Evocati (name for heavy mech if there is one)
Velites (another for mech or tank)

Register