Author Topic: Update Latest Releases page  (Read 3710 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Update Latest Releases page
« on: 27 March 2022, 00:25:42 »
Hey, I was browsing the website today when I noticed that the Latest Releases page hasn't been updated in three years.  Any chance that someone could get it updated?  There's been a ton of new content since then, after all.

That was not the link I meant to post
« Last Edit: 27 March 2022, 00:53:55 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
Re: Update Latest Releases page
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2022, 09:36:22 »
To chime in here... not to be too harsh, but I have seen newcomers on other sites express wariness about getting into BT because they look at the site and think the game is "dead." The only "fresh" content on the main page is the recent posts feed, which is very small and easy to completely miss at first glance, and also has no dates on it.

You can't actually get to any page that shows the newest releases from the home page directly, it's in another easy-to-miss link on the books page... and if you do manage to get there, well, it's the sad state of affairs MLO4H brings up.

(This is to say nothing of the overall site design which looks sort of like it was built for the 1024x768 desktop resolution era.)

I understand that maintaining and overhauling the site takes work and money, but as it is I dare say the site totally fails at what should be one of its primary goals, which is to inform and draw in new players. In fact I'd say it may be a hindrance. It does a very poor job of reflecting the fact that BT is a current, vibrant IP with new stuff coming out all the time. You could very easily look at the main page and think it hasn't been updated since 2017 (which is the latest copyright date in the footer).
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2022, 19:02:08 »
In fact I'd say it may be a hindrance.

To my regret I have to agree, especially when I see the significant amount of links that point either to a generic page or even a 404...
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Gribbly

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2022, 17:35:41 »
I just noticed those broken links. The one for 'OTP: Tokasha' is mistakenly named 'Fronc Reaches' as well.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2023, 10:03:21 »
Another year on, and the latest releases page is still showing stuff from 2019.

I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2023, 11:14:33 »
It might be best to simply erase the Latest Releases page.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation