Author Topic: Black Tiger Actual has passed  (Read 2893 times)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
Black Tiger Actual has passed
« on: 31 January 2023, 18:10:17 »
Friends,

Bruce Gilmour, author of the SLDF's 90th Heavy Assault Regiment stories passed on 1 Nov 22 after a long bout with cancer.  I'll miss his optimism, sense of humor, and just plain enjoyment of life.  Even during his final stay in the hospital, he was upbeat and positive.  He lives on in his stories and our memories.

BRUCE ALLEN GILMOUR
"A soul set free to fly. The journey begins."
1969 - 2022

https://www.celestis.com/participants-testimonials/bruce-allen-gilmour/

Note- his forum username is blacktigeractual if you are looking for his works.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
Re: Black Tiger Actual has passed
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2023, 18:24:17 »
Oh man, that's ...I don't have the words.  Loved the stories.  Prayers to his family.

I modify this because I finally found something to say:

I raise a glass to Bruce and the Marauder that likes Jazz 'Hussy'
« Last Edit: 31 January 2023, 21:28:35 by Taron Storm »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2023, 18:36:22 »
Oh man he sent me stuff early in my timeline and bounces ideas back and fourth in the day we haven't messaged in ages but that sucks, condolences to those that knew him better
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2023, 18:39:45 »
I'm so sorry to hear about BTA. I hadn't heard from him in quite some time but valued immensely our shared passion in BattleTech. His Black Tigers added immeasurably to my Last Cameron storyline for BattleTech Shattered Dawn which he enhanced with his creativity. I'll miss you Bruce and for as long as I enjoy BattleTech your Black Tigers will occupy a place of honor.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2023, 18:59:56 by Takiro »

MechRat

• Corporal
  • Knightmare's Evil Minion on OBT.com
    • OurBattleTech - A place for AU's to call home
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2023, 19:35:09 »
I'm shocked and so very sad to read this news. Sadly, we hadn't talked in years. I'm thankful and grateful that he let me be a part of his Black Tigers. His stories are something I will always treasure. He will be missed.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2023, 20:08:05 »
Oh no...
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2023, 20:48:26 »
I only knew of the 90th through Cannonshop's stories, but this still stings...  :-\

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2023, 21:25:49 »
RIP  :'(
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2023, 23:24:25 »
Dammit
Great writer, and by all accounts a damned good guy
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2023, 23:33:09 »
I didn't want to believe it.  We don't always get what we want.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2023, 23:42:14 »
I didn't want to believe it.  We don't always get what we want.

OH Cheese and Rice, Put a sox in your weeping!!!

You Know DAMN WELL that he's either going to the Hobby store off the Main drag past the pearly gates and his only worry: Does he buy the minis painted or unpainted? He'll be fine...

Condolences to the NOK.  :-[
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2023, 17:08:09 »
Ugh. Terrible news. My condolences to his family and friends.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 05 February 2023, 08:18:49 »
  :o :-[ WOW!!! I feel real old he was 5 years younger then me. Black Tiger Actual RIP and my condolences to the family. 

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2023, 16:59:00 »
Damn, just seen this, really enjoyed his work and had some good chats about his stories and rugby, condolences to his family and friends.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #14 on: 05 February 2023, 18:39:40 »
So sorry for the loss. All my well wishes for the family.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 11 February 2023, 16:12:05 »
Through a Mirror Darkly 1

These are Bruce's work compiled from the original forum posts.

Through a mirror darkly
“I am not a leader of men, because I prefer to follow”
Nickelback Leader of men
Chapter 1 Beginnings
Historians will look back at the Star League and say it was a golden age.  A paradise some will say.  Maybe, but it’s gone now.  To say Stefan Amaris ruined it is too simple. The truth is we, in our hubris, lost sight of what we had.  It’s an old story, repeated time and time again.  Our story is what came after.
Bruce (Free Falling over Manhattan Island.)
Combat drops are always unnerving, I mean there’s something wrong about being dumped blind out of a perfectly good DropShip.  Something really wrong when you consider the other guy is gonna do all he can to bring you to a sudden, permanent and messy marriage with the ground.  Still there is a certain malefic beauty to it all.  When the drop cocoon splits away and your ‘Mech comes alive around you the sky is alive with a fireworks show few ever get to see.  Above me the SLS Tiger Claw and SLS Farragut filled the sky with fire as their area denial barrages kept our drop corridor clear of Amaris SAM s and the bulk of his fighters.  Skimming around like deadly fireflies, careful to keep clear of the big cruisers firing solutions the Rapiers and Hammerheads of the Rakshasha’s flew MIGCAP and ground strike missions.  Beautiful until you realized those fireworks were Captain Matos’ command lance being picked apart by Amaris Corvin heavy fighters.  And that big ball of light was the Fortress class Mangenot taking a mixed battalion to a fiery end.   
Hussy’s threat warnings lit off as a ground based radar began to track the big Marauder.  Despite the millions of drop pod fragments and other chaff floating about it’s almost impossible to miss a 75-ton fusion powered beast with all the radar cross section of a T-Rex.  My HUD began tracking two Arrow VI surface to air missiles homing in on me.  Hussy however, wonderful 'Mech that she is, could do more than be a sitting, or rather falling duck.  SAM’s throw off enough heat from their engines that my sensors could track them even at several miles.  The real question was, could I aim and shoot without throwing my ‘Mech out of control.
Shifting gently in the linear frame that controls my ‘Mech, I brought the blocky right vambrace that made up Hussy’s left forearm. At two klicks out I let go with whip slash from the Magna Hellstar PPC encased within. The nice thing about the particle cannon is that you don’t have to actually hit dead on.  It’s basically a lightning bolt you flick like a whip throwing off spurs that seek out large metal objects and electromagnetic energy sources. Like the delicate seeker head of a SAM.  The first missile didn’t so much explode as simply spiral out of control. The second however came on looking just like a damned flying telephone pole. And its’ twisting spiraling flight took it out of my sights. 

« Last Edit: 16 February 2023, 22:08:24 by mikecj »
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 11 February 2023, 16:12:32 »
Through a Mirror Darkly 2

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 11 February 2023, 16:13:05 »
Through a Mirror Darkly 3

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 11 February 2023, 16:13:42 »
A Gathering Storm Book 1 (No further books completed)

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 11 February 2023, 16:15:05 »
A Gunslinger's Tale (Not completed)- the 90th on New Home
« Last Edit: 13 February 2023, 20:33:05 by mikecj »

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #20 on: 11 February 2023, 16:44:05 »
All great stories! I go back and read them every so often. Wish he had time to complete them.  :'(

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 12 February 2023, 01:44:34 »
There's more, BTA co-authored some stuff with me, hopefully it's find-able and tolerable enough to post. (My work's not exactly the best.)
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 12 February 2023, 23:56:45 »
I have a few.  I'm editing them from copy/pastes from the forum.  Ghosts of the Dead 1 & 2, When the Man Comes Around.  I'll post when I'm done cleaning up the copies.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 13 February 2023, 00:04:15 »
I have a few.  I'm editing them from copy/pastes from the forum.  Ghosts of the Dead 1 & 2, When the Man Comes Around.  I'll post when I'm done cleaning up the copies.

thanks.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 13 February 2023, 20:31:10 »
The Smell of the Ashes...

After Elbar until post- Fall of Amaris vignettes.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 13 February 2023, 20:32:18 »
When the Man comes around- when the 90th and the 171st liberated Elbar

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #26 on: 13 February 2023, 21:12:57 »
I can't finish that one before bedtime, but WILL read it... Honestly, it's exactly what I expected from a Kowloon story...

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 13 February 2023, 21:45:01 »
Ghosts of the Dead 1.

What if Kerensky's Sledgehammers take on Kerensky's heirs?

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 13 February 2023, 21:46:37 »
90th Heavy Assault Regiment Basic TO&E
(Just What Shoots at You for Now.) (mostly complete)

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 13 February 2023, 21:48:19 »
Technical Readout

Proper Terran machines, none of your Colonial downgrades.  Plus Amaris' own 'mechs.

Register