Author Topic: Scotty's Painting and Modeling Thread  (Read 22259 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Scotty's Painting and Modeling Thread
« Reply #120 on: 21 July 2023, 00:50:10 »
It's been over a year since the last post, so it's time to drop some new material.  First off, a mini I painted yesterday and today in a scheme I learned about last week and instantly fell in love with.

Behold, a Blackjack in the 1st Liao Guards colors.  This scheme is fun as hell to paint.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #121 on: 21 July 2023, 01:04:38 »
That indeed is a great scheme, and well done!

I do love that we get new canon schemes on CamoSpecs, but wish there was some way to easily list newly added schemes. That, or the ability to run a query "Show me all Capellan units available in a given era", to make it easier to work out which schemes to do.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #122 on: 21 July 2023, 06:34:09 »
Very nice!

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #123 on: 22 July 2023, 09:13:04 »
Very nicely done!  Tell me what I’m looking at because I don’t have the best eyes for color?  Is that a dark teal base coat with dry brushing or did you do panel highlighting?  Both?

Cheers,

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #124 on: 22 July 2023, 10:20:24 »
Beautiful painting, Scotty. That is a gorgeous scheme.  cool

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #125 on: 22 July 2023, 10:43:04 »
Very nicely done!  Tell me what I’m looking at because I don’t have the best eyes for color?  Is that a dark teal base coat with dry brushing or did you do panel highlighting?  Both?

Cheers,

All paints are Citadel/GW.

Primed Grey Seer
Undercoat Warp Lightning Contrast (likely skipping this one next time) and Celestium Blue for the limbs (not skipping this one)
Panels Sybarite Green and Macragge Blue
Edges Gauss Blaster Green and Calgar Blue
Cockpit and lenses Retributor Armor

No drybrushing was done to this mini.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

warriorsoul

• Sergeant
« Reply #126 on: 22 July 2023, 22:49:29 »
 This is my preferred style; I love that nice, even color with precise highlights.
My Imgur:
https://imgur.com/user/warriorssoul/posts

My Instagram:
@faithandheresy

My Camo Specs page:
https://camospecs.com/author/warriors-soul/

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #127 on: 23 July 2023, 13:46:41 »
This is my preferred style; I love that nice, even color with precise highlights.

Likewise!  No shade (hah) on drybrushing, but by and large it just isn't the technique for me.

On another note, I've painted a lot since my last post in here prior to the Blackjack.  I'll try to get pictures of at least the big units.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #128 on: 23 July 2023, 15:03:09 »
Anybody who participated in the Alpha Strike feature events at Adepticon likely recognizes these minis, but they never made it to this thread.  Without further preamble:

The 9th Wolf Guard Striker Cluster

Made up of 1st Striker Trinary and 2nd Pursuit Nova

1st Striker Trinary

Alpha Battle Star

Bravo Striker Star

Charlie Pursuit Star

2nd Pursuit Supernova

Alpha Nova

Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #129 on: 23 July 2023, 15:17:06 »
The 394th Division IV-Tau

Consisting of four Level IIs at least as far as I've painted so far:

Assault Level II "Discovery of Peace Through Violence"

Battle Level II "Coefficient of Kinetic Friction"

Striker Level II "Flexibility of Mind and Body"

Recon Level II "Expansion of Perception"

Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #130 on: 24 July 2023, 00:15:03 »
And a new arrival, the first of what is probably going to be many, Clan Smoke Jaguar Delta Galaxy:

Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Gladius-XC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #131 on: 02 August 2023, 10:44:21 »
Scotty, those look really nice!  Your 1st Dragoons Blackjack looks awesome!  I started at the beginning of your thread, and it’s really cool to see how your skills have progressed since 2014!

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #132 on: 07 August 2023, 22:35:00 »
One of the benefits of going to GenCon is first crack at new releases from IWM, sometimes.  This time was absolutely a benefit, and this canvas is excellent.  Shoutout to the sculptor, wondergecko, because this is fun as hell to paint.  This is intended to be Jade Falcon Vau Galaxy, and will eventually represent a bloodnamed Star Commander.

Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #133 on: 14 August 2023, 00:29:39 »
Expanding the Smoke Jaguars Delta Galaxy a couple posts up, I found a scheme that takes maybe 30 minutes a mini.  Feels pretty good, and the results are solidly "good enough".

First up, an Assault Star:

Then, a Command Star:

Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #134 on: 15 October 2023, 14:42:24 »
I could definitely be going faster with these, but I have made some good progress on filling out the rest of the Smoke Jaguars Delta Galaxy.  The plan is ultimately a full Cluster, and of that Cluster I have already acquired and primed all but three minis (last ones waiting are another Ebon Jaguar, another Adder, and a Gargoyle C):

So far I have 20 'Mechs and 5 Elementals finished, with 25 'Mechs and 10 Elementals left.  The ones that are "finished" still need decals as of this moment, but they're at the point where I'm happy to put them on the field and they'll be recognizably a Cluster of Smoke Jaguars Delta Galaxy.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #135 on: 22 October 2023, 13:19:20 »
Looking good, the yellow's smooth.

Out of curiosity, what'd you have in mind for the rest of the Stars formation-wise?

Register