Poll

What would be your preferred RAF Successor?

A Star League Regular Army guarding Terran Zone
9 (24.3%)
A Mercenary Brigade - ala the ELH
6 (16.2%)
A rump state in exile
10 (27%)
An FWL mini-state like the Augustine Alliance
6 (16.2%)
A FS March state, like a Republic March
6 (16.2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Ideas are bulletproof: The Republic of the Sphere Megathread  (Read 80109 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Ideas are bulletproof: The Republic of the Sphere Megathread
« Reply #1110 on: 03 December 2023, 09:52:25 »
Should be noted the sole non-BMM item on the Lament is the Radical Heat Sink System, which is basically MASC to cooling. Rules for the system are in FM3145 and Interstellar Operations Alternate Eras, if someone wonders.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #1111 on: 03 December 2023, 10:47:09 »
 Fertility issues could have been mildly mitigated by transporting fresh soil from Venus. Many natural cycles should have maintained the overall planetary soil fertility, including one where the sand from the Sahara is blown to the Amazon and the Sun Belt. In the Republic era, the Venus option would have been impossible.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Master Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1112 on: 03 December 2023, 17:41:30 »
New lance packs revealed at Pax Unplugged, the 3rd/4th packs are about the IlClan/3rd Star League, and feature a crap ton of Republic designs.

So upcoming lance packs that are Star-League centric will feature the Wendigo.

2nd Star League Assault pack: Daishi Prometheus, Emperor, Argus, Helios, coolant truck

3rd Star League Striker Pack: Lament, Jackalope, Kintaro, Hammerhead II, Havoc, J-27

3rd Star League Battle Pack: Savage Wolf, Wendigo, Excalibur, Peace Keeper, Savior Vehicle

Looks like Kisho Nova Cat will get a pilot card in that 3rd/4th pack.

Sigh, they're probably be driven by Clan pilots now, but at least my Republic battalion can have 'em in plastic.
Clan Protectorate

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #1113 on: 03 December 2023, 18:05:37 »
New lance packs revealed at Pax Unplugged, the 3rd/4th packs are about the IlClan/3rd Star League, and feature a crap ton of Republic designs.

Sigh, they're probably be driven by Clan pilots now, but at least my Republic battalion can have 'em in plastic.

honestly they're basicly ROTS lances with a clan wolf 5th added in to make em stars
The Suns will shine again

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1114 on: 03 December 2023, 20:41:50 »

Idea is to cover as many factions with as fewer mechs they can fit

That Kintaro for example covers several Houses, several Spheroid Clans, ROTS, ilClan, Scorpions (as Naja) and Mercenaries in recent periods

If we go further back it covers pretty much everything including Rim Worlds Republic

« Last Edit: 03 December 2023, 21:12:45 by Fire Scorpion IIC »

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #1115 on: 04 December 2023, 00:01:32 »
I've had good experiences with the Lament. Mobile, tough, and hits hard.

I keep meaning to try out the DCC variant.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1116 on: 04 December 2023, 00:07:23 »
My experience with the Lament is that it kicks my butt if I face it, but it acts like butt if I try to use it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #1117 on: 04 December 2023, 03:43:51 »

tbh it makes sense to keep using those. Can't exactly retool every factory on Terra when you have several opponents breathing down your neck. Perhaps upgrading all to Clan spec might be coming. A Peacekeeper C or so
Or a new shift: pure Clan warrior get the shiny Clan Mechs, filthy IS soldiers get the rest

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1118 on: 04 December 2023, 08:45:12 »
Yeah. I can’t fault the logic of it. Just feels underwhelming that the first RotS designs in plastic are put in Clan Wolf packs.

Still, I want them. I’ll paint the RotS ones up as Hastati. I’ve got bears and Wolfes painted, so the other models will have a home right away

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #1119 on: 04 December 2023, 08:58:42 »
Just wait when the packs for the FWL are released. Tomahwak, Warwolf, Carronade, Wulfen. Or something like that

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1120 on: 04 December 2023, 09:06:17 »
I’ll gripe. But Dark Age and ilClan mechs in plastic is a big win for me.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1121 on: 04 December 2023, 10:59:31 »
The Peacekeeper constantly flies under my radar for several reasons (mismatched jump, TSM on something with no melee weapons or small tuning weapons) but a hypothetical 3SL variant that doesn't do those things that I will not be pseudo-designing in this thread would go a long way.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1122 on: 04 December 2023, 15:27:55 »
The Peacekeeper constantly flies under my radar for several reasons (mismatched jump, TSM on something with no melee weapons or small tuning weapons) but a hypothetical 3SL variant that doesn't do those things that I will not be pseudo-designing in this thread would go a long way.

Yeah… I don’t see a variant of it I actually like.

Havoc looks like a nice super-Jenner.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #1123 on: 05 December 2023, 07:57:10 »
I can see why there doing Dark Age era mechs now but I'm not gonna lie. It's not something I will run out to get quickly on there release.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #1124 on: 05 December 2023, 11:09:04 »
For me, the two DA boxes might be the only ones I get. Very little if anything in the first two to get me excited, aside from the vees.
My wife writes books

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #1125 on: 05 December 2023, 21:47:55 »
For me, the two DA boxes might be the only ones I get. Very little if anything in the first two to get me excited, aside from the vees.

the Thudnerhawk, Atlas II and Emperor don't excite you?

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #1126 on: 06 December 2023, 11:15:07 »
the Thudnerhawk, Atlas II and Emperor don't excite you?
Not really. I do need one more Emperor for my SLDF troops, but that's gonna be a metal Primitive to match the one I already have. Beyond that, I *might* go for an Atlas II if I can find a second RAF brigade that interests me after I finish my Hastati, but that's about it. On the whole, most of my forces are full up on assault machines, and I wouldn't put a Thunder Hawk in any of the few open slots. Gauss boats bore me most of the time. They're better than sleepwalking your away through a game with a Hellstar, but only marginally. Gimme a Malice instead any day.

All that said, I don't begrudge CGL choosing those mechs to be made. They're just not on my personal to-buy list.
My wife writes books

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1127 on: 06 December 2023, 11:16:06 »
They're better than sleepwalking your away through a game with a Hellstar, but only marginally.

You better quit slandering my baby. :laugh:
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Escorpion Imperio • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1128 on: 06 December 2023, 12:58:23 »
The Hellstar is incredibly boring.  It's good and efficient but it's also not even a half step above being a mech that you can play by flowchart.  And not a particularly long flowchart at that.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #1129 on: 06 December 2023, 13:06:44 »
You better quit slandering my baby. :laugh:

Heresy, everyone knows the Blood Kite is the only true Battlemech!

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1130 on: 06 December 2023, 13:08:03 »
The Hellstar is incredibly boring.  It's good and efficient but it's also not even a half step above being a mech that you can play by flowchart.  And not a particularly long flowchart at that.

All fine by me. I like winning and I like headcapping even more. :evil:
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Escorpion Imperio • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1131 on: 06 December 2023, 14:18:09 »
There's a reasonable argument to be made for painting up literally any Assault that has ever existed and isn't confirmed extinct for the Battle of Terra in RAF colors and I for one will probably be doing that with an Alpha Wolf (tell me that won't look amazing in black and gold, you can't) as soon as I can get my grubby little hands on one.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #1132 on: 06 December 2023, 15:09:54 »
Hmmm... The Canadian fire departments probably had some St. Florians in the Cauldron... :cheesy:
My wife writes books

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #1133 on: 06 December 2023, 17:47:39 »
Hmmm... The Canadian fire departments probably had some St. Florians in the Cauldron... :cheesy:

Nah we're  proably STILL using the Martin Mars Waterbomber for that :D

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #1134 on: 06 December 2023, 19:57:04 »
Come now, that was replaced by the Torrent long ago. And when will we get a miniature for it?!?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1135 on: 06 December 2023, 20:15:08 »
Such optimism, they clearly had moose-mounted infantry that had to politely ask the fire to go away.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme & Nebula Confederation

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #1136 on: 07 December 2023, 03:59:07 »
Such optimism, they clearly had moose-mounted infantry that had to politely ask the fire to go away.

before you mock Canada too much in a Battletech context you miiiiiiiiiiiiight wanna research where James McKenna was from :D

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #1137 on: 07 December 2023, 04:08:40 »
before you mock Canada too much in a Battletech context you miiiiiiiiiiiiight wanna research where James McKenna was from :D

Or that the US became more "Canadian" in the Battletech universe  :grin:

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #1138 on: 07 December 2023, 04:27:04 »
Or that the US became more "Canadian" in the Battletech universe  :grin:

How did the US become more Canadian? I musta missed that

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #1139 on: 07 December 2023, 13:37:00 »
Come now, that was replaced by the Torrent long ago. And when will we get a miniature for it?!?

I just use diecast B-1s. :cool:
My wife writes books