Author Topic: Mortar Truck  (Read 1324 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Mortar Truck
« on: 26 August 2023, 04:21:49 »
So I was wondering how cheap you get an AOE weapon... turns out pretty darn cheap!  Turbocharging the engine for 9/14 over 6/9 only cost ~1,200 C-Bills, so I figured it was worth it.  Granted, it's only carrying 12 reloads and has a mere 2 points of armor on each face, but with that speed, it shouldn't get shot... ;)

Code: [Select]
Mortar Truck

Mass: 5 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Motive Type: Wheeled
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Age of War/Star League
Tech Rating/Era Availability: D/D-F-E-D
Production Year: 2750
Dry Cost: 24,685 C-Bills
Total Cost: 48,685 C-Bills
Battle Value: 58

Construction Options: Fractional Accounting

Power Plant:  25 I.C.E.
Cruise Speed: 97.2 km/h
Flanking Speed: 151.2 km/h
Armor:  Standard Armor
Armament:
    1  Mech Mortar 1
Manufacturer:
    Primary Factory:
Communications System:
Targeting and Tracking System:

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard                       4 points                0.500
Engine:             I.C.E. Engine                 25                       1.000
    Cruise MP:  9
    Flank MP:   14
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             0                         0.000
Control Equipment:                                                         0.500
Lift Equipment:                                                            0.000
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV -   8                  0.500

Armor     
                                                      Factor     
                                               Front     2         
                                          Left/Right    2/2         
                                                Rear     2         

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat     Spaces     Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mech Mortar 1                                FR        1         1         2.000
@Mortar 1 (Airburst) (12)                    BD        -         0         0.500

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      0    Points: 1
9w         1       1       1       0      1     0   Structure:  0
Special Abilities: EE

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Re: Mortar Truck
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2023, 04:50:01 »
this feels like it should be in a TRO on Techicals...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2023, 04:53:40 »
Absolutely! :)

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2023, 11:17:46 »
And when the Mortar is not installed, it can carry 2.5 tons of cargo at 9/14. (what would be the price of this version, no MM+ammo and just cargo instead?)

I could see these trucks being used by a variety of militia units, with just a small maintenance outpost + crane being used to mount Mortar systems when needed.  If you could reduce a Lift Hoist to 2.5 tons you could make one of these trucks into a decent tow truck as well.  2.5 tons/3 tons = 83.33%, so instead of being able to lift 2.5 tons, it can lift just over 2 tons which is enough to put the Mech Mortar in place with the technicians attack the MM properly.  Turns any tow truck + transportation unit into a potential combat unit as they can just drive over and start attaching the mortars.  If a truck gets destroyed or just breaks down en-route, there are plenty more.

This is a very simple and effective design, great for causing headaches to enemy bases.  Just drive one of these up near the enemy base (but behind cover), fire off a dozen shots, then leave.  The cost of the half ton of ammo is almost equal to the truck itself, so even if the truck is destroyed you likely got your money's worth.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2023, 11:23:36 »
Just the truck (with a half-ton of armor) is 17,510.  Without armor (and the ability to mount a Lift Hoist), it's just 12,385.  Throwing the Lift Hoist on it cranks it up to 63,635.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2023, 11:41:37 »
Just the truck (with a half-ton of armor) is 17,510.  Without armor (and the ability to mount a Lift Hoist), it's just 12,385.  Throwing the Lift Hoist on it cranks it up to 63,635.

This is impressive, the civilian tow truck is cheaper more expensive than the combat platform.   :shocked:

I'd see this armored truck being built nearly everywhere, as if the armor is designed for the refit ability then it would be just a small effort by a Lift Hoist to mount the Mortar setup in the back.

Edit - I got the wording completely backwards.  I screwed up.
« Last Edit: 26 August 2023, 14:43:05 by idea weenie »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2023, 12:21:39 »
Uh... no?  The Mortar Truck is only 48,685 with the ammo load... ???

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2023, 14:24:25 »
Uh... no?  The Mortar Truck is only 48,685 with the ammo load... ???

The Lift hoist cranks it up to 63,635
The armed version is 48,685

I should have been more specific about which civilian version 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2023, 14:33:28 »
Ah, you meant the one without the Lift Hoist... got it! :)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2023, 18:06:42 »
I love them
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Register