Author Topic: Renforced company deployment.  (Read 1278 times)

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
Renforced company deployment.
« on: 18 September 2023, 01:16:03 »
I have managed to complete a reinforced company of the 4th Skye Rangers and am looking for advice on how to compose the 4 lances.
Here is the list of mechs;
Locust
Stiletto
Spector
Hollander
Hollander
Stealth
Eisenfaust
Blitzkrieg
Razorbacks
Griffin
Thunderbolt
Dragonfire
Zeus
Charger
Salamander
Highlanders
Thanks.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Renforced company deployment.
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2023, 10:58:59 »
I tend to group by task & speed so . . .

Command Lance
Zeus
Salamander
Highlander
Hollander

Dragonfire
Thunderbolt
Eisenfaust
Hollander

Charger
Griffin
Razorback
Blitzkrieg

Skirmish Lance
Stealth
Spector
Stiletto
Locust
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2023, 12:49:22 »
Why split up the Hollanders? ???

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2023, 15:16:34 »
Why split up the Hollanders? ???

So half of a lance is not made up of tinfoil?

So you can get 2 or more headcappers in each lance- depending on the variants.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2023, 18:26:20 »
That makes sense... :)

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2023, 14:34:29 »

Another take. 

This assumes the Charger is an -SB “Challenger”.  This is the Lyran variant with four large lasers, heat sinks to use them, max armor, and 3/5 speed.  Fits with the assault lance.

This also groups the fragile, big guns (Hollanders and Blitzkrieg) in a single strike or cavalry lance, which is how that lance should be used.  It’s a mobile reserve or flanking lance.  It’s sent to reinforce or exploit.  It’s not a stand-and-fight lance.  When sent in, the Hollanders keep their distance with dual Gauss while the Blitzkrieg guards against fast movers trying for a quick kill on the Hollanders or takes point with its Ultra-20 and the Razorback’s hole-seeking weapons.

Everything else is pretty standard and grouped by speed, which largely dictates role and weight.  The Salamander is pushed down in weight to the heavy lance to lend that lance a fire support role, but the Zeus or Dragon Fire could go down there instead.  And the Eisenfaust is a little weird as a design, but it’s speed and incendiary capability fit with the heavy or fire support lance.

Hope this helps.

Command/Assault Lance (3/5-4/6)
Highlander
Charger (assumes CGR-SB “Challenger” variant)
Zeus
Dragon Fire

Battle/Fire/Heavy Lance (4/6-5/8)
Thunderbolt
Salamander
Eisenfaust
Griffin

Strike/Cavalry/Medium Lance (5/8+)
Blitzkrieg
Hollander
Hollander
Razorback

Recon/Scout/Light Lance (7/11+)
Spector
Stealth
Stiletto
Locust
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2023, 15:34:14 »
That's more like what I was thinking for the Hollander deployment, yep! :)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2023, 15:49:59 »
Problem there is something like our 'skirmish' lance is going to chew the 'strike' lance up.  Something fast with lots of MLs or even ERSLs getting in the Hollander's face is going to kill them . . . the Blitzkrieg is not going to keep speedsters off, it is next with the UAC and no other weapons.  The Razorback, IIRC, has no pulse equipped version thought it could at least spam ERMLs, SRMs and maybe MGs in close to try to scrape one backstabber off the Hollanders.
Colt Ward

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2023, 21:34:48 »

Game-wise, it won’t matter unless someone is planning a big 16-on-16 game and has multiple players run their own lances.  When only one player is running the entire company or a piece of it for a game, these TO&Es don’t matter.

But in the rare event it does matter, I’d rather put the Hollanders in one lance and deal with their suck doctrinally than weaken two lances with the Hollanders.  AC/20s are typical bodyguards for LRM boats; the Ultra-20 on a 7/11 platform like the Blitzkrieg should deter one or two 7/11 or 8/12 backbiters.  I agree an entire lance of backbiters is a bigger problem calling for a pulse boat, but there’s only so much to work with here and  only so much one can allocate to bodyguard duty for the Hollanders.  The real solution is not to pad out TO&Es with slow, poorly armored units like Hollanders, Urbanmechs, and the like in the first place.  They’re really designs to make use of leftover BV, not to build 1/8th of a unit.

FWIW…
« Last Edit: 19 September 2023, 23:26:10 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2023, 23:09:32 »
I'd probably stick the Eisenfaust, the Razorback, & the 2 Hollanders in the same lance & keep them in the rear of my formation providing Gauss/ER LL fire & using the other weapons to protect if something gets close.

I'd also probably put them behind one of the big boy lances so your forced to go through assault mechs to get to them but they can fire out past them.

It's really the only way to keep the 4 slow sucky mechs alive.

Big boys split into a 3-4 lance & a 5+ lance

Heavy/Assault:   Highlander, Zeus, Dragon Fire, Thunderbolt

Mobile Fire:   5/8+
Salamander-5T,  Charger-3K,  Griffin-3M,  Blitzkrieg-4F

Recon same as Natasha
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo