Author Topic: Variable Missile Use  (Read 1322 times)

Armitage72

• Sergeant
Variable Missile Use
« on: 10 September 2023, 11:20:57 »
I'm currently reading "A Rock and a Hard Place", the relatively new Grey Death Legion novel. In it, there are several references to firing only part of an SRM or LRM rack's capacity. For example, an Archer fires 4-6 missiles at a time to conserve ammo during a prolonged combat and a Commando fires a single SRM to kill a sniper.
This would obviously make tracking ammo more complicated, but I'm curious if anyone has tried anything like this in a game. (Or maybe it's an optional rule hidden in one of the books and I just don't remember.)

Daryk

• Major General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Variable Missile Use
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2023, 12:53:17 »
I think the closest we get rule-wise is the ability to buy launchers by the tube for protos and BA.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2023, 13:03:06 »
One of the Btech guys i gamed with when i was in London, had a HR that let one shift DOWN the fire of LRMs or SRM's by a cat..  So a 20 pack, could drop to a 10 pack, (so you could shoot it twice per load of ammo), or 5 pack..  Or a SRM 6 could be shot as a 4 or two pack.  A four could be shot as a 2 or 1 pack..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2023, 21:39:12 »
It's a Houserule, but... I'd call it in line with the dial-a-laser rules.

Would make book-keeping a hair more complex, having to keep track of how many missiles have been removed from the 120/100/90 missile rack.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2023, 21:40:45 by Greatclub »

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2023, 22:41:51 »
I have never done this for missile racks. But I have toyed with allowing autocannons to act as any cannon beneath them (so an AC/20 could mimic an AC/2-10 while an AC/5 could only act as an AC/2 when desired). That wasn't game breaking.

But it is a bit different than simply shooting fewer missiles on a given turn. I cannot see why it would be an issue as a houserule.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Wolf72

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2023, 07:37:13 »
I would like something along those lines for RLs ... downgrade to a pack level to increase range, or even down to a 5-pack and lose the hit penalty
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2023, 04:12:32 »
One of the Btech guys i gamed with when i was in London, had a HR that let one shift DOWN the fire of LRMs or SRM's by a cat..  So a 20 pack, could drop to a 10 pack, (so you could shoot it twice per load of ammo), or 5 pack..  Or a SRM 6 could be shot as a 4 or two pack.  A four could be shot as a 2 or 1 pack..

I like it. :evil:

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2023, 22:04:34 »
So a MRM-40 firing as a MRM-5?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Engineering where it's not WHY but WHY NOT?
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2023, 07:02:49 »
I'm currently reading "A Rock and a Hard Place", the relatively new Grey Death Legion novel. In it, there are several references to firing only part of an SRM or LRM rack's capacity. For example, an Archer fires 4-6 missiles at a time to conserve ammo during a prolonged combat and a Commando fires a single SRM to kill a sniper.
This would obviously make tracking ammo more complicated, but I'm curious if anyone has tried anything like this in a game. (Or maybe it's an optional rule hidden in one of the books and I just don't remember.)

I vaguely remember this being allowed in the RPG, but that was from skimming a book years ago at my FLGS, and I didn't buy the book.

My headcanon says that missile salvos actually consist only of a few missiles at a time (less than 10), which break into submunitions when they get close to the target.  That reconciles the missile rules with the artwork where it's not physically possible to store 120 missiles for a launcher, or a LRM-20 launcher only has 12 or 15 missile ports.  Perhaps that's what the author was going with.  YMMV.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Register