Author Topic: Ideas on Special Force Abilities and other concepts?  (Read 1647 times)

Charistoph

• Major
Ideas on Special Force Abilities and other concepts?
« on: 23 November 2023, 14:39:47 »
I'm looking to start a once-monthly Clan campaign for the next year for my weekly group.

I'm looking to start them up cleaning up some Dark Caste which leads to a small Burrock problem.

However, I'm thinking of how to work their Special Abilities.  I'm thinking Camoflauge is perfect, but I'm wondering if they should have a little more. 

I'm thinking something like "Trail-Marking" where if they are the Defender they can make trails that almost act like Roads for Ground Vehicles and Infantry, but not for Mechs.  These "trails" must be set up before hand in proper routes, and they just negate the penalties for moving through those hexes.  So, Hovercraft through Woods, Support Vehicles on Clear Terrrain, etc, would act without problems.

Another is an interaction with Elementals.  Is there a Force Ability or Special Pilot Ability which can improve interactions with them, such as allowing them to Move or Shoot on Dismount, or Mount at the beginning of the Movement Phase?

If these, or something like these, already exist, please point them to me, otherwise critique?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Daryk

• Major General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Ideas on Special Force Abilities and other concepts?
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2023, 16:27:37 »
I have a thread down in fan rules for Infantry SPAs: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,59999.0.html

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2023, 23:00:25 »
I have a thread down in fan rules for Infantry SPAs: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,59999.0.html

So nothing for the Mechwarriors...

Elementals will just be an augment unit, assigned at need.  I'm not sure I'm going to have them developed by the players.  I'll bring it up.
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2023, 21:41:53 »
So, adding the Elementals as an option to be added so the Mechwarriors would be a Nova Point Commander.

Here's the ideas for what I wrote up based on what I said above, and after communicating with the other local DM on it.  The Cost Values are based on the same pricing for Special Pilot Abilities listed in Alpha Strike and Campaign Operations.

Pony Express
Cost: 1
Battle Armor Squad may Mechanize with an Omnimech or Omnivehicle at the start of the Mech’s Movement so long as both have not yet Moved this Turn.

Name basically taken from the trick riding mounting that the characters in the old Young Riders tv show used to do.  It was based on the a Pony Express stable and some new staff.

Hop ‘n’ Pop
Cost: 2
Infantry unit may either Move or make a Weapon Attack the same Turn they dismount from a transport, Omnimech, or OmniVehicle.

Name taken from parachutist slang for when the chute is automatically deployed upon exiting the craft.  Sounded appropriate for hopping off the transport and popping Jump Jets or Guns.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 02 December 2023, 15:44:24 by Charistoph »

Daryk

• Major General
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2023, 04:16:27 »
As long as the BA squad leaders have Sergeant in Motion/From the Hip (and/or Pull it IN!), I think that could work, though I recommend only one is necessary for the carrier (probably Pony Express).

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2023, 17:00:35 »
As long as the BA squad leaders have Sergeant in Motion/From the Hip (and/or Pull it IN!)...

Not currently available.  These are based on Campaign Operations costs, and your suggestions are more Time of War.

...I think that could work, though I recommend only one is necessary for the carrier (probably Pony Express).

The Carrier won't be getting these.  These are just options for the Elementals.

Daryk

• Major General
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2023, 18:12:38 »
No worries... it's your table! :)

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2024, 00:47:24 »
A few more more concepts came up, so I'm presenting them for review.  Please feel free to use them at your own tables.

Steel-Jock:
Cost 2;

When making an Anti-Mech Attack count the unit size as one tier higher than it currently is.  If at top tier, it adds a -1 Modifier to the Attack.

Alpha Strike: Infantry Units with this Ability have a -1 Modifier when making an Anti-Mech Attack.

Named after the climber term "rock jock", this is intended to allow the unit to be as effective as a larger force when doing Anti-Mech Attacks.  Such as a 3 man Battle Armor Squad being able to Leg Attack with a +0 Modifier instead of a +2, etc.

Spider-Monkey:
Cost 3;

Adds a +1 Modifier to attempts to remove the unit while it is Swarming.  In addition, unit may attempt to stay on a Swarmed/Mechanized unit that Fell/Dropped Prone with an Anti-Mech Roll with a +3 Modifier.

Alpha Strike: Infantry units with this Ability are only hit on a 6 when an Omni they are mechanized on is Hit (AS:CE p.48).  In addition, they may perform an Anti-Mech Attack when within 1" of the target.

Named after the nimble creatures of jungles, as well as a tenacious ability to hang on, this provides options that normally aren't covered by ability rolls.

Charlie Horse:
Cost: 1-4

For each Point in Charlie Horse spent, the Player may add one to the dice roll they make for MASC activation after the Roll.  Once spent, they are unavailable for the rest of the scenario.

Alpha Strike: For each Point in Charlie Horse spent, the Player may move 2" further in Ground Movement that Turn.  Once expended, the Points are unavailable for the rest of the scenario.

Named after the cramp common in foot-racers, this ability is more about the Pilot's ability to massage their Mech through potentially fatal failures in MASC activation.

Snap Shot:

Warriors with this ability can fire one weapon while Sprinting at a +3 Attacker Movement Modifier.  This ability works with Speed Demon, allowing one weapon to be fired while using Speed Demon.

Alpha Strike: AS allows you to make a ranged attack with a damage value of 1 at at +2 modifier. The original damage value for a range must be greater than zero.

Named after the hasty shots taken when moving a maximum speed, these pilots have developed the skill to make tough shots even while pushing their units to their limits.
« Last Edit: 19 August 2024, 10:52:42 by Charistoph »

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2024, 13:34:18 »
Master Hacker:

When piloting a unit with any model of ECM Suite or Active Probe, or carrying the Improved Communications or Improved Sensors Quirk, this unit may make an attempt to apply a Sensor Ghost (see Tactical Operations: Advanced Rules pg.100) to themselves or a Target within the range of the ECM, Active Probe, or 5 hexes with Improved Communications or one Hex without the ECM.  This requires a Piloting Skill Roll with a +5 Modifier, and is addition to any other methods of creating a Sensor Ghost.  Does not work with Communications Equipment.

Alpha Strike: A unit with this SPA that has the ECM Ability receives a +1 defensive "Other" modifier against all attacks except attacks from units with the CI type.

Edit: Original author made some changes.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2024, 23:37:23 by Charistoph »

Daryk

• Major General
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2024, 14:14:03 »
How many tons of Communications Equipment would it take to use that one?

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 18 August 2024, 16:12:22 »
How many tons of Communications Equipment would it take to use that one?

Probably the usual high volume of 3 or 3.5 tons.  I can't remember what is normal for that.

Daryk

• Major General
« Reply #11 on: 18 August 2024, 16:32:14 »
TO:AR page 100 says 7 tons of Communications Equipment for Ghost Targets.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 18 August 2024, 20:16:13 »
TO:AR page 100 says 7 tons of Communications Equipment for Ghost Targets.

Then there you go.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 18 August 2024, 23:31:11 »
Master Hacker:
...  Does not work with Communications Equipment.

Edit: Original author made some changes.

Or not...
« Last Edit: 19 August 2024, 00:02:53 by Charistoph »

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2024, 01:08:36 »
I like steel jock, kind of a earnable mag-claws for the squad.

Spider-monkey I don’t particularly care for, most because it adds another roll. Punching them off is already hard at +4, and going prone is relatively easy at +0, adding one there generally isn’t a huge deal.
Maybe instead of letting them hang on, allow them to move and attack the same turn they get fallen/dropped (like a monkey jumping out of a tree, ready to try again).

Charlie horse seems cool, although the wording could use work. It took the example in green for me to understand it. Seems super niche but useful for pushing the MASC on multiple backstab turns. In AS there is no way to limit it on MASC only mechs, so I think that’s a good enough conversion without getting overly technical. Maybe allow it on SC
Gtoo for classic?

Run and gun seems very similar to the SCA gun it from CM:Mercs. Having it be +3 in classic and limiting damage in AS keeps it from devaluing JJs while also making differentiating it as a pilot versus command ability. I like this one the most

Pg91
Gun it: The Units in this Force may sprint (see AS, p. 63) and attack, but do so with a +1 To-Hit penalty and increase their Heat Scale by 1.

NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 19 August 2024, 10:48:29 »
Spider-monkey I don’t particularly care for, most because it adds another roll. Punching them off is already hard at +4, and going prone is relatively easy at +0, adding one there generally isn’t a huge deal.

+1 can make a difference, depending on the pilot.  This is like Mag Claws, so it would be a +2 with them.

The added Roll is for situations where the rules automatically cause them to fail, much like when a Hopper loses a Leg gets to Roll to stay Standing, this gives them a Roll to stay on.  It also applies to when their friendly ride falls, not just a target.

Maybe instead of letting them hang on, allow them to move and attack the same turn they get fallen/dropped (like a monkey jumping out of a tree, ready to try again).

That's what Hop 'n' Pop is for.  Adjustments will be made to that to address it.

Charlie horse seems cool, although the wording could use work. It took the example in green for me to understand it. Seems super niche but useful for pushing the MASC on multiple backstab turns. In AS there is no way to limit it on MASC only mechs, so I think that’s a good enough conversion without getting overly technical. Maybe allow it on SC
Gtoo for classic?

SCG?  SuperCharger?  Maybe.  We're not at a point in the Campaigns where SuperChargers are available (Operation Revival for both), but it is good to future proof it, but they do operate under different principles.  I'll run it by the original author for approval.

Run and gun seems very similar to the SCA gun it from CM:Mercs. Having it be +3 in classic and limiting damage in AS keeps it from devaluing JJs while also making differentiating it as a pilot versus command ability. I like this one the most

We've been using mostly Campaign Operations and the scenario books that have come out since.  I'll see if anyone has CM: Mercs here and we can peruse it for more inclusions/ideas.

The idea of the Snap Shot (and Charlie Horse) is to provide options where A) The Pilot doesn't regularly have Jump Jets, and B) an option for those who don't want to feel forced in going copy-cat and take Jumping Jack.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 19 August 2024, 15:30:48 »
Maybe allow it on SCG too for classic?

Author says no.  The SC only does a single Engine Hit, while the MASC can take out both legs at the same time.