Author Topic: CGL streaming at PAX Unplugged  (Read 7272 times)

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
Re: CGL streaming at PAX Unplugged
« Reply #60 on: 02 December 2023, 22:18:22 »
It’s pre-painted to draw attention. A painted mini always looks better, and especially in a box with windows where you can see them. Gets otherwise ‘meh’ people to take a second look and pick up a box.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple Bird is Strong
    • The Big Red Youtube Channel
« Reply #61 on: 02 December 2023, 22:39:34 »
It’s pre-painted to draw attention. A painted mini always looks better, and especially in a box with windows where you can see them. Gets otherwise ‘meh’ people to take a second look and pick up a box.

These boxes typically sell out anyway. This prepainted miniature won't change that. If these boxes sell, it'll be on the strength on the IP.
I Am Big_Red_40TECH and so can you.

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 02 December 2023, 22:58:02 »
Ilkhan's eyes only probably should have released Q3 2023. A minimum 1 year delay seems like it may have needed more direction. It feels like a lot of squandered progress on the era.

Known Glitch

• Master Sergeant
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #63 on: 02 December 2023, 23:26:04 »
Ilkhan's eyes only probably should have released Q3 2023. A minimum 1 year delay seems like it may have needed more direction. It feels like a lot of squandered progress on the era.

Completely agree here but the "Community Manager" told us on the livestream today to be quiet.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #64 on: 03 December 2023, 02:22:53 »
Honestly I can live with a delay of that long if it means we don't get "And then Alaric Ward smiled, whispered 'just as planned' and won. Again." IE Dominion Divided 2 Electric boogaloo. Because as far as i'm aware that was a somewhat divisive book, because those dice just kept coming up Alaric and no one reacted in any way other than to accept The Inevitable (him winning, again). So if its something where the main chunk of the story actually isn't in favor of advancing Alarics story and having him win again, then I'll happily accept a delay.

If we have him change from being an inciting incident that must win, into an actual human being who has flaws and isn't a mary sue, then good.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2023, 02:34:41 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Death_from_above

• Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: 03 December 2023, 03:26:27 »
What is going to be in Rec Guide 33? Loki II, Mauler, Hatomoto? What else from the kickstarter didn't get a Rec Guide entry?

The current RecGuides (1-32) have between 5 and 10 Mechs/vees (not counting variants) in them.

Reseen designs not yet published in a Recognition Guide :

Spartan
Loki II
SM1 Tank Destroyer
Hatamoto-Chi
Mauler
Thunder Hawk

The Proliferation Cycle Mechs (Icarus II, Firebee, Mackie, Ymir, Coyotl, Battleaxe, Gladiator)

The ASFs (Shilone, Visigoth, Sabutai, Samurai, Seydlitz)

IMO, the first 6 have the best chances to get a spot in Guide 33.

I'm also expecting the other three upcoming 2024 ForcePacks to include (a) new Mech(s), so those
would be potential candidates as well.

« Last Edit: 03 December 2023, 03:32:09 by Death_from_above »

Eisenwolf

• Sergeant
  • Martius Lupus
« Reply #66 on: 03 December 2023, 04:47:10 »
I really hope for the Proliferation Cycle Mechs to get some attention in the upcoming Rec Guide.

Especially the Ymir and the Mackie are in dire need of some variants I can actally use in games set after the Star League / First Succession War!

And yes, there are the primitives that reappeared while the Jihad raged. But they do not really count in my eyes.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 03 December 2023, 07:45:31 »
Vol 33 could cover Hatamoto, Mauler, Thunder Hawk, Jinggau (has at least concept sketch at the moment), Spartan at least. That would be two 3-mech spreads (with one slot left open). Probably some surprises yet unannounced.
EDIT Forgot the Jinggau did get Shrapnel entry, but it is lacking proper lineart still.

Skeptical about Proliferation Cycle pack mechs getting covered, that would be 6 or 7 mechs alone (depending on whether the Coyotl would get covered or not. The RecGuides seem to cover 9 units at most (for example. Vol24 with 3 major entries and 6 minor entries).
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: 03 December 2023, 08:08:59 »
Honestly I can live with a delay of that long if it means we don't get "And then Alaric Ward smiled, whispered 'just as planned' and won. Again." IE Dominion Divided 2 Electric boogaloo. Because as far as i'm aware that was a somewhat divisive book, because those dice just kept coming up Alaric and no one reacted in any way other than to accept The Inevitable (him winning, again). So if its something where the main chunk of the story actually isn't in favor of advancing Alarics story and having him win again, then I'll happily accept a delay.

If we have him change from being an inciting incident that must win, into an actual human being who has flaws and isn't a mary sue, then good.

I would be more opposed to him winning again if Alexander the Great didn't exist

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #69 on: 03 December 2023, 09:25:20 »
Back from PAX, reasonably well-rested, reasonably coffee'd, diving in.

Off the bat, as I posted over in Upcoming Releases, clarifying the first new ForcePack, the Star League Command Lance.

The Star League Command Lance will include four Mechs:

ON1-Kb Orion (Kerensky) - new pose, pre-painted
PXH-1b Phoenix Hawk "Special" - new pose
AS7-D-H Atlas II - unpainted
TDK-7X Thunder Hawk - unpainted

We actually had these to show on stream yesterday, but Randall was extremely ill and could not be present on stream with me. In heat of the moment, it was not clear what I could and could not show (or even say in some cases), so we did the best we could. I realize they showed the image of the Thunder Hawk painted by Savage Coyote on stream as I was talking about pre-painted miniatures, so things got a little conflated. We should all be so lucky to get an SC-painted Thunder Hawk, no such luck unfortunately.

Randall says he's going to try to a) rally and be on stream today, Sunday 12/3, around 12:30 pm Eastern and b) show off these minis and anything else we missed.

Will the box cost increase as a result?

The projected MSRP for the Star League Command Lance and the second ForcePack next year (also a lance) is $35 each. The Q3 and Q4 Star League ForcePacks are both Stars, they're projected at $40 each.

They seemed to indicate it was some kind of all in one campaign manual thing. Possibly geared to alpha strike.

The MechCommander's Handbook is intended to be a successor to Campaign Operations, and function as the sole book for BattleTech and Alpha Strike campaign play. Whereas CO offered a lot of various concepts for campaign play, MCH is intended to reel all that back in and present the codified campaign ruleset. It's being developed by Keith Hann, who brought you the BattleMech Manual and basically all recent play design developments like Battlefield Support Points.

I don't have a lot more detail to offer since he's literally making the thing right now. But keep an eye out here on the forums for a thread from Keith with a sample chapter for feedback. That should help give you a better sense of what this book is about.

During the stream, somebody asked if the Force Manuals would be accompanied by boxed sets.

Instead of answering the question, Bryn deflected (IMO) by asking him to clarify what he meant by a "boxed set" (whereas ForcePacks would have been the obvious answer).

Obvious to you but not to us, three hours into a stream, having questions read aloud to us while trying to bludgeon each other to death. His response wasn't intended as a deflection, we wanted to provide as clear an answer as we could.

I understand the criticism. Best I can tell you is that the production pipelines for books vs. miniatures are not 1:1. The faction ForcePacks are on the drawing board, we know what will be in the first few, but getting them made happens on a different cycle than the books, and we need the Force Manuals out asap.

A good chunk of the delay was the Kickstarter. I know, I know, "but you guys blame that for everything." Well, creating a year's worth of product...took the better part of a year.

But some of it was also wanting to better coordinate telling the story in fiction first, and coordinating with the two authors writing the novels to make sure we weren't tripping over each other. You'll get the fiction well before Q3, tune into the fiction stream later today to find out more.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2023, 09:56:36 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #70 on: 03 December 2023, 09:36:16 »
It's worse than the whole pack being painted, it's 1 miniature being painted per box. Which means... why would people want this?

You'll have to paint the rest of the unit to try and resemble the 1 in the box if its something you wanted to go with anyway. How is that going to end up? This was promoted on stream like it was a big hit. I dunno man.

It's a test.   Can they produce painted mini's at scale.   How does that affect pricing and production timelines.   Will people actually buy them.   

I don't really enjoy painting all that much, nor do I have the time to do a lot of it.  I dream of being able to buy a painted Marik company, and then buying and paining the 2-3 mechs I care about.  I know it's not for everyone, and I doubt any companies ability to scale this to all factions, but it be better than paying for commission.

Known Glitch

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #71 on: 03 December 2023, 09:43:41 »
Welcome back to the asylum Cubby.  Hope Randall's feeling better today.  Looking forward to hearing more from directly from TPTB about what's coming in the next 12 months.  Could you please post a schedule for the livestream today?

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple Bird is Strong
    • The Big Red Youtube Channel
« Reply #72 on: 03 December 2023, 09:52:57 »
It's a test.   Can they produce painted mini's at scale.   How does that affect pricing and production timelines.   Will people actually buy them.   

I don't really enjoy painting all that much, nor do I have the time to do a lot of it.  I dream of being able to buy a painted Marik company, and then buying and paining the 2-3 mechs I care about.  I know it's not for everyone, and I doubt any companies ability to scale this to all factions, but it be better than paying for commission.

But a real test would be having all the mechs coming out painted. Not one mech. This solution satisfies no one.

It will sell atm, but its not going to sell on the strength of a single painted miniature. It'll sell because people want the Atlas II and Thunderhawk. Even then though, retailers might get trapped with these ones because having 1 prepainted mech per box is just not a selling feature to the average gamer, if they either don't know what the Atlas II is, they don't want to pay the extra price, or they don't want to deal with a mini pre-painted in a colour scheme they're not running.
I Am Big_Red_40TECH and so can you.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #73 on: 03 December 2023, 09:55:03 »
Welcome back to the asylum Cubby.  Hope Randall's feeling better today.  Looking forward to hearing more from directly from TPTB about what's coming in the next 12 months.  Could you please post a schedule for the livestream today?

(Reading the post three times to decide whether to take offense at not being part of "TPTB"...)

They've been shuffling the original schedule around quite a bit, my understanding at the time of this writing (approximately 10 a.m. Eastern on Sunday)

Morning - Board games
Around 12:30 p.m. - Randall
5 pm-ish - fiction

I realize there's a gap in there, not sure what will fill it. Tricky now that I'm not on site anymore.

Update: here’s the full schedule from the recent FB post:

Rounding out #PAXUnplugged with more great content. Check out what is coming from our Board Games and RPG Fiction!

Make sure to hit up the booth at #2446 for some last minute merch!

Board Games 2024 at 10am - 11am EST
Let's Play: Parachute Panda at 11am - 12pm EST
Let's Play: Fandooble at 12pm - 12:30pm EST
Bonus: BattleTech Announcements at 12:30pm - 1pm EST
Fiction 2024 at 1pm - 2pm EST
New Dice Core RPG: Wizard Riders at 2pm - 6pm EST

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/@catalystgamelabs9349

#shadowrun #battletech #leviathans #CGL #convention #Philidelphia #PAX

« Last Edit: 03 December 2023, 10:30:22 by Cubby »

Known Glitch

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #74 on: 03 December 2023, 09:58:14 »
(Reading the post three times to decide whether to take offense at not being part of "TPTB"...)

They've been shuffling the original schedule around quite a bit, my understanding at the time of this writing (approximately 10 a.m. Eastern on Sunday)

Morning - Board games
Around 12:30 p.m. - Randall
5 pm-ish - fiction

I realize there's a gap in there, not sure what will fill it. Tricky now that I'm not on site anymore.

:wink:  You're considered TPTB.  Thanks for coming on to the forum and being willing to both inform and answer questions.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2023, 10:00:35 by Known Glitch »

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #75 on: 03 December 2023, 10:00:17 »
And, in case I sound too testy (need more coffee) - FWIW, I appreciate the feedback here, in the stream comments, and elsewhere. I'm reading as much of it as I can. Streaming is not my first skill-set--I'm a writer through and through--and fielding specific questions live was not easy. Good experience though, and PAX Unplugged is a pretty great convention for anyone who can make it out.

(Also blowing Bryn's head off on stream was by FAR the best dice luck I've ever ever had, he had me dead to rights after head-capping the Axman.)

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #76 on: 03 December 2023, 10:23:49 »
But a real test would be having all the mechs coming out painted. Not one mech. This solution satisfies no one.

It will sell atm, but its not going to sell on the strength of a single painted miniature. It'll sell because people want the Atlas II and Thunderhawk. Even then though, retailers might get trapped with these ones because having 1 prepainted mech per box is just not a selling feature to the average gamer, if they either don't know what the Atlas II is, they don't want to pay the extra price, or they don't want to deal with a mini pre-painted in a colour scheme they're not running.

Assuming these are Minimal Viable Products (MVPs) then as the saying goes...  "You’re selling the vision and delivering the minimum feature set to visionaries, not everyone."

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #77 on: 03 December 2023, 10:24:18 »
 :smiley: :cool: :rolleyes: OK! I love the opinionated forum members here especially when come to Force Packs. Now you will get one prepainted mini per Force Pack. Now the question is how is it painted ,air brush or paint brush? Which colors are they going paint the minis? Minis to painted Lyran Guard ,Davion Guard ,Kurita Sword of light , Cappie green or the purple people eater (Marik). We do know the minis painted will not be unique mechs. We don't know yet. I do like SLDF Command Lance which you add another mech to make it ComStar Lev force. Until we know more on the Force Packs I' am going with wait see what come out. We have a lot stuff coming out . We have wait see when it come.

Known Glitch

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #78 on: 03 December 2023, 10:27:56 »
Cubby - if you haven't watched already, check out DFA Wargaming's video posted this AM.  Aaron, Thom, and Dom do a pretty good job (at least in my opinion) of capturing how a lot of the long term supporters are feeling right now.

https://youtu.be/XklKUgU35EM?si=54EJR1vNPdUnqp5k

And gotta ask - the DFA guys are local to Philly, did y'all invite them to participate in any live stream events this weekend?  It would have been fun to see the return of Long Dan and the head-capping artillery.

Edited for spelling due to lack off coffee.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2023, 10:30:03 by Known Glitch »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #79 on: 03 December 2023, 10:40:12 »
I might repaint one to look like a freshly salvaged 'Mech.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #80 on: 03 December 2023, 11:01:59 »
Pics

That Pixie looks like its ready for a Jump Plume stance, but the pictured box doesn't show a plume.

Interesting.

If i only bought ForcePacks where I would use every ‘Mech, I wouldn’t have very many ForcePacks. If I can make use of 60% to 75% of ForcePack then I have no problem buying it.  I’ll even occasionally buy a ForcePack where I’ll only use half the contents for a ‘Mechs I’m really interested in. Any spare ‘Mechs can be used refining paint schemes or put aside for future projects.

Agreed.  There's always at least one model in a Force Pack I never plan on using.  I still paint it up just in case I do find a reason, and because I do assembly line painting.

The Vehicle Support Packs will probably even worse as they double up on what I won't use (except the Objectives Pack).

Yes the pre-painted clicky tech stuff looked like it had been painted with a trowel or a potato cannon, but we should give it a chance before getting pitchforks and torches.

True.  The X-Wing game line demonstrates it IS possible to be pretty good with pre-painted.

There was another game a while back that came out all pre-painted called AT-43.  It was originally set up as like a futuristic NATO vs Soviet conflict, but then they added weird cyborg aliens and gorillas as armies.  Roughly 40K in scale.  All the models came pre-painted.  They didn't do to well at the LGS I was at, even though the models were pretty well painted.  The owner said that it was because they were mostly a hobby store, and most of his customers LIKED being able to do their own painting on them.

Still, there are a lot of grey plastic and bare metal at our weekly games.  Most are with our "Battlemaster" who has a hard time organizing time to do painting (it's not unusual for him to go to 3 games a week at different stores), and he has a HUGE collection.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #81 on: 03 December 2023, 11:48:42 »
Pics of the SL Command

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #82 on: 03 December 2023, 11:54:38 »
Pics of the SL Command

That painted Orion looks too good to be true. That's all I will say for now. I am flabbergasted.

Known Glitch

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #83 on: 03 December 2023, 12:08:31 »
Update on the schedule for today according to Michael C on the stream - Randall will be on at 1230 EST, John Helfers and Michael C will discuss fiction at 1300 EST (change from 1700).

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #84 on: 03 December 2023, 12:16:28 »
It's worse than the whole pack being painted, it's 1 miniature being painted per box. Which means... why would people want this?

Agreed. I'm all for bringing new players in, including players who don't want to paint. But a one-per-box approach seems calibrated to satisfy no one.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #85 on: 03 December 2023, 12:19:00 »
Pics of the SL Command
Looks very nice  :cheesy:

BTW seeing this lance, I think TPTB might consider the Periphery Uprising (that before the Amaris Coup) would be a great choice for another Brush War.
It was quite a huge conflict with dozens of Mech Divisions (true divisions) and ranging far and wide in the Periphery states.
We have not got many detailed information about the battles fought there so far. It was the SLDF at its full power and potential.
If we might get something like this, this would be greatly appreciated
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #86 on: 03 December 2023, 12:35:43 »
Pre-painted 'Mechs are a no for me.  One per pack is an even worse idea.  Folks knee-deep in the hobby will understand what the canon scheme on that 'Mech is and what it represents, and will also know that if they really want that mini they can strip the paint off it.

But think of what someone completely new to the hobby will think when they see these force packs on the shelf.  "Why is only one painted, and not the others?  Did someone mess up packaging?  Do they all need to be painted that way?"  I can keep going.  It just seems like a really weird decision to me.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #87 on: 03 December 2023, 12:59:28 »
Randall just spilled the beans on the other three ForcePacks on the live feed.  People looking forward to the Kintaro can rejoice as it's coming  :cheesy:

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #88 on: 03 December 2023, 13:00:36 »
2nd Star League Assault pack: Daishi Prometheus, Emperor, Argus, Helios, coolant truck

3rd Star League Striker Pack: Lament, Jackalope, Kintaro, Hammerhead II, Havoc, J-27

3rd Star League Battle Pack: Savage Wolf, Wendigo, Excalibur, Malice, Peace Keeper, Savior Vehicle
« Last Edit: 03 December 2023, 14:22:36 by shivanwurm »

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #89 on: 03 December 2023, 13:02:35 »
So the painted Orion in the Star League Command Lance shown during PAX is not factory prepainted, it was painted by hand.

I was stoked when shivanwurm shared a photo of that command lance, the Orion looks really nice in it. But deep down I had a feeling that it was too good to be a factory painted mech.