Author Topic: The Muskegon empire/coalition  (Read 2531 times)

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
The Muskegon empire/coalition
« on: 23 August 2011, 09:59:06 »
Both Handbook: House Davion and House Davion (The Federated Suns) talk about Muskegon and it's six assorted colony worlds, but only two of those colony worlds are named - Beten Kaitos and Emerson - and the text seems to indicate that while those two worlds joined the Chesterton Trade Federation and were held against Federated Suns forces for some time during the reign of Lucien Davion the other four colonies joined the Federated Suns and were never  contested by the Chesterton Trade Federation. I was wondering if it's possible to confirm what the names of the other four colony worlds were?

Between Handbook: House Davion, Handbook: House Liao, House Davion (The Federated Suns) and House Liao (The Capellan Confederation) the local region seems to have been a mish-mash of states, with the Marlette Association, Chesterton Trade Federation and Muskegon Empire as small fry with the Tikonov Union, St Ives Mercantile League and Sarna Supremacy as major players until the formation of the Federated Suns. Comparing the map provided for the founding of the Federated Suns with that of the founding of the Capellan Confederation 50 years later and indications in HD(TFS) that the Chesterton Trade League first encountered the Muskegon worlds via Emerson in 2195 , likely suspects look to be further Rimward, suggesting worlds like Talcott, Smolensk, Kathil and maybe Monongahela or Orbisonia. That does assume that Muskegon worked in a Rimward direction when founding colonies, rather than a radial fashion, which seems reasonable given that McHenry was already an established colony when Muskegon was settled and assuming that worlds like Bristol, Wroxeter, Listowell and Sanlec were more likely to be associated with the Marlette Association than colony worlds founded from Muskegon.

I'll admit that I'm hoping that while the Chesterton Trade League, Chesteron Trade Federation and Marlette Association have all been largely undefined in the past in terms of the number of worlds they contained, the fact that Muskegon has consistently been cited as having six colony worlds means that the names of those worlds have been decided or recorded somewhere already...

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
Re: The Muskegon empire/coalition
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2011, 11:28:07 »
To be honest I've found it extremely difficult to reconcile some aspects of old FASA sourcebooks and try to faithfully recreate those nations. There was as far as I know no real attempt at sorting out colonization dates and what planets was and was not colonized at various dates. Which is what causes a lot of headaches...

I had a pretty hard time to make the Capellan proto-states sort out properly, and I kinda dread trying to sort out earlier nations..
« Last Edit: 23 August 2011, 13:56:19 by Øystein »

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
Re: The Muskegon empire/coalition
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2011, 12:51:26 »
I've been having fits trying to reconcile the various proto-states myself, so it's oddly reassuring to hear it's not just me! Trying to get the Chesterton Trade Worlds/Chesterton Trade League/Chesterton Trade Federation/Chesterton Province straight seems like an elephant task, not to mention the Tikonov Union/Tikonov "imperial" Union/Tikonov Gradn Union.

It sounds as if some of the other questions I had are going to be rather moot...

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo