Author Topic: Teaser for a proposed...thing (Thread 2)  (Read 20843 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Teaser for a proposed...thing (Thread 2)
« Reply #90 on: 17 February 2020, 07:58:14 »
And George didn't see either one doing those things, either...  ::)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #91 on: 17 February 2020, 08:28:18 »
There are two things you never want to see being made: laws and sausages.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #92 on: 17 February 2020, 09:35:29 »

Sun-Tzu Liao, on the other hand... I´m half-convinced that, if he´d seen her do this, he´d have proposed marriage to her on the spot.

Well, as soon as he was done puking his guts out, presumably.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #93 on: 17 February 2020, 10:16:12 »
Sun-Tzu Liao, on the other hand... I´m half-convinced that, if he´d seen her do this, he´d have proposed marriage to her on the spot.

Or just be jealous, see not only is such violence from the Chancellor seen as routine rather than shocking?  It is also seen as capricious.  Here?  Shocking, disturbing, but a dangerous undercurrent of only being inflicted on the 'deserving'.  It covers the brutality in a cloak of righteousness.  However much it flaunts the rule of law not men Liz claims she wants.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #94 on: 17 February 2020, 10:16:27 »

Liz: I'm already married!
Sunny-boy: nobody's perfect.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 17 February 2020, 10:23:40 »
Kowloon Intrasystem Aerodrome, Ia Drang...

Ducal Regent to New Syrtis, General George Hasek stepped off the shuttle in the early morning hours, to find Her Grace, Elizabeth Ngo, Duchess of Kowloon, waiting in the frigid, windy, mid-July weather.

"Sorry about the last minute deviation, sir." she said, "We've gotwhite-out conditions in the plains and Nha Tranh's getting hit hard."

"I understand. You know, with the technical miracles coming out almost daily, I would've thought you'd put some effort into weather control technologies!" George answered.

she laughed, "Remind me to bring that up with the Assembly!"  they hurried out of the oncoming blast of snow into the terminal.

out of the howling midwinter, he realized how cold it must be outside at the blast of warm air that made his extremities tingle.

"I forgot, it isn't summer here." he said in a more normal tone of voice.

she shrugged, "It's too bad you had to come in mid-winter, in the summer, the view from here is spectacular."  a Port officer offered him a cup of something hot.

George warmed his fingers on the cup first, then sipped it.  "Spicy Chocolate?" he asked.

"Yeah, kind of a mid-winter treat, the harvest from Camranh this year was spectacular." she said,  "The weather report says this blizzard will let up around nine. I can have parkas arranged if you want to start with the Flight line, but I'd advise waiting until this weather system clears.  in the meantime..." She looked around and her her daughter stepped out, "There you are! come, meet the Future duke of New Syrtis honey!" she beckoned, and Amanda walked up.

"It is an...honor to meet you, sir." the girl said, doing a somewhat clumsy curtsey in her snow-boots and heavy jacket.

"It is very nice to make your acquaintance." George said with a bow.  "Amanda, right?"

"Yes sir." the girl said.

"You brought your daughter out in this?" he asked Elizabeth.

"I was playin' outside, but momma said I had to come inside when the VIP's got here, VIP means 'Very Important Person'."  Amanda said.

george felt a chil that had nothing to do with the weather-he'd watched their approach, the Aerodrome was right on the edge of a two kilometer drop to the lowlands, and visibility was terrible.

"this close to the edge?" he asked.

"We've actually got fencing, Lord Hasek." Liz said, "And the security detail wouldn't let her get close to the fenceline, much less the drop."

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #96 on: 17 February 2020, 10:28:09 »
"We've actually got fencing, Lord Hasek." Liz said, "And the security detail wouldn't let her get close to the fenceline, much less the drop."

Amanda: "Challenge Accepted." :D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #97 on: 17 February 2020, 10:30:30 »
Knowing Amanda, she'd survive the fall too...  ::)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 17 February 2020, 12:03:06 »
"...sometimes in science, it's nothing more than 'Hey Y'all, watch this!!'  that's the moment wise administrators rush to cut funding."

-Professor Joel "Teller" Nha Tranh 001

KCGS Chorus Bay, Sampan IV cutter assigned to the National Laboratories...

They figured out a way to transport it-we have to use the Tyllium drives, but the damn thing works.  This was probably the single scariest part of the mission so far.  The plotted system has no planets, but does possess a flickering white dwarf in a hydrogen rich nebular cloud with plenty of dust and gravel.

It's weird doing 'pure science', weirder still because this pure science is also a potential weapons test.  then again, what kind of weapon do you call it?  we've spent the last three months depositing solar impactors in a pattern that follows the star's magnetic field.  the test itself is kinda weird, and the crew have bets on whether they're going to get any reasonable amount of data from doing this-and I don't blame them a bit.

but hey, it's probably the single safest way to dispose of...well...anything, really.  the stuff this squadron's been laying gives me cold shivers-antimatter.

lots of antimatter, kept in stabilized form.

They have been synthesizing the stuff at the giant cyclotron for years, a stockpile of dangerous, well, okay, ULTRA dangerous material too shifty to trust in a KF field.

we are almost ****** done, and I'm so glad we are you just don't know.

as I watch the rest of the ships finish their offload and jump out of the system on the status monitors, I'm left wondering what in hell we're playing at.

see, we've distributed roughly 12,000 hydrogen tons of pure antihydrogen in discrete packets around a ****** star.

The satellites brought in by the Genniver Lincoln are in place at the edge of the local heliopause-that space where the solar wind becomes so dispersed it no longer overcomes the star's gravitation.

this experiment is ****** insane.

the egghead in charge of the mission has checked with the rest of the eggheads, and they're giving me the signal from control.

we jump out to the limit, and send the detonation signal.

we'll see something in about 12 hours...

12 Hours later...

And now, it's RLAB time-that means "run like a bitch".

The EMP from whatever the experiment did, well, imagine hitting a big, big, ****** gong with a hammer, only this gong is made of electromagnetism and the hammer is matter annihilation in a star's corona sphere.  The outlying sats actually got the neutrino spray before they went down from the pulse.  HUGE spray.

BONG!!!!

we jump to 12 light hours further out, and the signature is getting louder.

still not passing the speed of light, though.  Based on what we DID get before the monitoring sats crapped out, the thermal and light frequency bloom suggest we'll be able to see the event from Ia Drang on a clear day.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #99 on: 17 February 2020, 12:24:23 »
Did... did they just figure out how to make a star go nova?!  :o

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #100 on: 17 February 2020, 12:33:35 »
As a cartoon Martian once said “Ka-Boom”.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #101 on: 17 February 2020, 13:48:18 »
Twelve thousand tons of antimatter.

*shudder*

Okay.

https://www.edwardmuller.com/index.php?Page=calculator

The annihilation reaction alone will be 468,480,000 megatons equivalent.

That's about four and a half Chixulub impactors, or two-thirds of a shot from the Death Star.
(For the Trekkies in the audience, that's about eight million photon torpedoes.)

A Nova? No. A star is a fecking big thing. Dropping the entire Earth into it, it'd barely notice.

It will however cause one frakking hell of a Coronal Mass Ejection.

Imagine a flamethrower the size of Jupiter.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2020, 13:50:28 by croaker »

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #102 on: 17 February 2020, 15:15:40 »

*shudder*

Okay.

That's about four and a half Chixulub impactors, or two-thirds of a shot from the Death Star.
(For the Trekkies in the audience, that's about eight million photon torpedoes.)

A Nova? No. A star is a fecking big thing. Dropping the entire Earth into it, it'd barely notice.

Any idea about how far out a Coronal Mass Ejection of that size is going to be dangerous to inhabited planets?

I assume that this planetary system would be toast, if the white dwarf in question had a planetary system. But will it be a danger to neighboring systems?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #103 on: 17 February 2020, 16:37:29 »
I shudder to think of the EMP pulse that a CME of that scale would release.

Are Cylons vulnerable to that kind of thing?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #104 on: 17 February 2020, 16:52:47 »
I shudder to think of the EMP pulse that a CME of that scale would release.

Are Cylons vulnerable to that kind of thing?
per the Series pilot, yes. Lee Adama actually used the Galactica's EMP emitters (which were in the bay of colonial one) to disrupt the cyclon's sensors enough to make them think the ship had been destroyed. apparently they effect the old style cylons even more than the newer ones, but it is a tactic discouraged by the Colonial military academies, presumably since systems powerful enough to hit cylons at range are also powerful enough to disrupt colonial tech. (given that colonial one was pretty messed up by the blast Lee released, i suspect that for anything other than 1st war battlestar, the hardening just isn't enough to avoid messing yourself up.)

https://en.battlestarwikiclone.org/wiki/EMP

the hard radiation storm from a CME would also do a number on the organic aspects of the newer cyclons as well (skinjobs, hybrids, and raiders)
« Last Edit: 17 February 2020, 16:57:25 by glitterboy2098 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #105 on: 17 February 2020, 17:01:20 »
That much anti-matter could cause a lot of problems for a star, the shockwave(s) if nothing else.  Check out the link in the Astronomy thread down in Off-Topic.  Betelgeuse is doing some weird things all on its own, without a nudge of that size.  Stars work because the pressure of the fusion reactions balances the gravitational forces.  Throw off that balance, who knows what will happen?  SCIENCE!  :D

The mere fact Liz is letting them do something this big for SCIENCE is significant in and of itself.  8)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #106 on: 17 February 2020, 17:04:20 »
they're in vacuum. shockwaves will be minimal.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #107 on: 17 February 2020, 17:12:43 »
I mean shockwaves within the star...

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #108 on: 17 February 2020, 17:15:54 »
As a cartoon Martian said “ KA-Boom.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Hellfire

• Sergeant
« Reply #109 on: 17 February 2020, 18:12:16 »

*shudder*

Okay.

468480000 Megatons (468 Teratons) or is 1.960120319E+24 Joules according to this calculator.

Be generous and round that up to 2E24. Death Star attack is 1E38 joules. 1E38/2E24 = 50,000,000,000,000. So the Death Star attack is 50 Trillion times more powerful than 12,000 tons of antimater. That's also why the Death Star is using the made up hypermater instead of antimater.

Put another way the gravitational binding energy of the Earth is 2.49E32 joules. The gravitational binding energy is the amount of force gravity is exerting to hold the planet together and what you have to overcome to blow the planet up. Trying to overcome more than 32 zeroes worth of force with only 24 zeroes of force is going to get nowhere fast.

Edit: According to wiki Chicxulub was 5.8E25 joules. 5.8E25/2E24=29 or if your feeling less fancy 58/2=29 That puts Chicxulub at 29 times as powerful as 12,000 tons of antimatter.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2020, 18:26:27 by Hellfire »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #110 on: 17 February 2020, 18:14:54 »
That depends on the effects on the fusion processes holding up the star.  If they get disrupted by the shockwave, there could be some collapse that then multiplies the ultimate effect.  That's why I mentioned "nova" as a possibility...

EDIT: Removed "fusion" for clarity.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2020, 20:08:20 by Daryk »

Hellfire

• Sergeant
« Reply #111 on: 17 February 2020, 18:40:22 »
That depends on the effects on the fusion processes holding up the star.  If they get disrupted by the shockwave, there could be some collapse that then multiplies the ultimate effect.  That's why I mentioned "nova" as a possibility...
Nah, it's a white dwarf. There aren't any fusion processes. Edit: White dwarfs are basically dead starts that quit undergoing fusion.
Quote from: Wiki
The material in a white dwarf no longer undergoes fusion reactions, so the star has no source of energy. As a result, it cannot support itself by the heat generated by fusion against gravitational collapse, but is supported only by electron degeneracy pressure, causing it to be extremely dense.
There is a good wiki page about blowing up white dwarfs under Carbon detonation.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2020, 18:43:36 by Hellfire »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #112 on: 17 February 2020, 18:51:39 »
You might want to check out the transient conditions present when a shockwave passes through...  That just might lead to carbon detonation...

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #113 on: 17 February 2020, 19:20:28 »
Ok, Carbon Detonation hadn't occurred to me, I'll admit.

And given the placement of the antimatter (in packets completely surrounding the star) they may have been going for an implosion.... with CD as the explicit goal... ow.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #114 on: 17 February 2020, 19:47:25 »
For SCIENCE!   :D

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: 17 February 2020, 19:54:50 »
For SCIENCE!   :D

Naw, the Kowloon Coast Guard just said, "Hold me beer." :o

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #116 on: 17 February 2020, 23:31:39 »
Sheesh.  And I thought Rodney McKay was bad. 

Or is Soren trying to reach the Nexus again?

Who lets Rednecks play with antimatter?
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #117 on: 18 February 2020, 00:06:49 »
Sheesh.  And I thought Rodney McKay was bad. 

Or is Soren trying to reach the Nexus again?

Who lets Rednecks play with antimatter?

No, they just Carter-ized that star.  ;D

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #118 on: 18 February 2020, 01:17:23 »
“ Who lets Rednecks play with antimatter?”

Never read any John Ringo have yeah, now?

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #119 on: 18 February 2020, 02:43:32 »
  Given the Kowloonese heraldry described up-thread, I doubt this particular set of antimatter bombs were meant to paint the target orange....

Register