Author Topic: What Are Your Preferred Weapons Combinations?  (Read 16589 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
Re: What Are Your Preferred Weapons Combinations?
« Reply #30 on: 05 May 2017, 22:36:27 »
No one has mentioned a rotary autocannon.     What works best with them?    My experience with them is nil.

I find with RACs you either love them or hate them.  An IS RAC suffers from the lack of range that all IS weapons do when you are comparing them to Clan weaponry.  Against a IS opponent I don't find there is a poor platform, but ideally you have a faster mech to get into an optimum position.  What most RAC platforms lack though is solid second weapon system to punch holes in the target.  As such they are relagated a supporting unit in the case of a RAC/5.  RAC/2s are of a bit more dubious value.  It gives you a decent crit seeking weapon at range 18, but how much do you really want to waste on 8 tons for medium to long range crit seeker?

Clan model RACs have better range to make them more attractive, but you can mount other weapons to get comparable damage and/or better preformance.  I like the concept of the Kraken XR, but it doesn't have enough ammo to continue sustained bursts.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #31 on: 06 May 2017, 12:49:37 »
I find with RACs you either love them or hate them.  An IS RAC suffers from the lack of range that all IS weapons do when you are comparing them to Clan weaponry.  Against a IS opponent I don't find there is a poor platform, but ideally you have a faster mech to get into an optimum position.  What most RAC platforms lack though is solid second weapon system to punch holes in the target.  As such they are relagated a supporting unit in the case of a RAC/5.  RAC/2s are of a bit more dubious value.  It gives you a decent crit seeking weapon at range 18, but how much do you really want to waste on 8 tons for medium to long range crit seeker?

Its a bit off topic, but, this talk of hole punch v/s crit seeking has me wondering something.

What size do you all consider a damage grouping to be a crit seeker v/s hole puncher?

Myself I'm thinking 1-3 Damage is a Crit Seeker since you tend to see those groups in lighter weapon options for lots of them and crit seeking is less about size of the hit than it is sheer volumes of hits.

4-7 To me is more "Sand Blasting" as you can get those size hits in volume but they are also taking away decent chunks of armor at the same time.

8-9  I'm unsure how to qualify the IS LL family (and LtGR & Med Range Snubbie).
 Sand Blaster??  Hole Puncher??   Some 3rd name??

10-25 Clear Hole Punching here.

(Dayton feel free to tell me to move to new topic, but its only partially off topic since its about weapon combos)
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 09 May 2017, 17:56:38 »
I like pairing basically any weapon that can do 10+ damage in one block with any weapon that can cause three or more crit checks.

ERLL, ERPPC, GR, etc.
HAG, LB-X, Missiles, etc.

I am also a fan of weapons that are both dangerous, and have significant utility. MMLs for example have a wide array of ammo types for all occasions, and as such are one of my favorite crit weapons. I am also partial to the Plasma weapons for all the shiny things they can do.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #33 on: 11 May 2017, 18:46:59 »
Its a bit off topic, but, this talk of hole punch v/s crit seeking has me wondering something.

What size do you all consider a damage grouping to be a crit seeker v/s hole puncher?

Myself I'm thinking 1-3 Damage is a Crit Seeker since you tend to see those groups in lighter weapon options for lots of them and crit seeking is less about size of the hit than it is sheer volumes of hits.

4-7 To me is more "Sand Blasting" as you can get those size hits in volume but they are also taking away decent chunks of armor at the same time.

8-9  I'm unsure how to qualify the IS LL family (and LtGR & Med Range Snubbie).
 Sand Blaster??  Hole Puncher??   Some 3rd name??

10-25 Clear Hole Punching here.

(Dayton feel free to tell me to move to new topic, but its only partially off topic since its about weapon combos)

For me, it's less about damage per and more about total number of hits.  So in my mind, something really ferocious like an MRM40 or ATM12 can function in that crit seeking role, and I'll happily pair them with PPCs and big ACs in the crit seeking role.  Even massed LRM racks can do that, though its hard to work on one mech aside from high end Clan assaults.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 11 May 2017, 19:20:56 »
So you'd call the Nova Prime or Turkina D a critseeker?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 11 May 2017, 20:24:33 »
Gauss rifle, ER PPC, ER/standard medium lasers

ER PPCs/LLs and SRMs (helloooo Juliano!  8) )

Heavy PPCs and LBXs/RAC-5s resonate with me on a primeval level  :D

Long range weapon in the arm with the axe/hatchet to save space and room. I would say....SRM-6 on one of the other locations to exploit the big punch in the armor by the axe. So, SRM to complement the axe in melee.
The big axe hit comes AFTER the weapons damage phase, so it really finishes the job more than starting it. Hence you want to carry a lot of 5-point 'sandblaster' weapons that can degrade armour all over the enemy Mech so that when you're finally close enough to land an axe hit, wherever it hits, it will hammer through that last 15-20 points and sever the limb or at least expose internals in 1 stroke.

No one has mentioned a rotary autocannon.     What works best with them?    My experience with them is nil.
Play with it. It's mad fun :D a RAC/2 is best used to snipe while a RAC/5 is a relative heavy-hitter, configure accordingly with ER lasers/PPCs.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 11 May 2017, 22:57:49 »
So you'd call the Nova Prime or Turkina D a critseeker?

Nova, probably no, since you usually only get 5-7 shots from the whole mech (though I still fire it after a Hellstar). Turk D, 100%. More crit chances than an LB20 in close, after all.  Granted, sometimes you don't need to check for crits because the shear damage just vaporized the target, but to me, the Turk D is an above average crit seeker.

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 12 May 2017, 09:33:33 »
While we're on the subject what 'mechs do you feel offers the chance of inflicting the most damage at short, medium and long ranges respectively?

From what I know,  the Kodiak (Ultra AC/20, 8 ER Medium lasers, & 2 SRM-6s) can inflict a whopping 80 points of damage at short range.

While I'm much less familiar with long range weapons load outs I would wager the Warhawk Prime (4 ER PPCs,  LRM-10) which can inflict 70 points at long range would be right up there.

Not a clue about medium range.

Don Lunardi

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple on Purple!
« Reply #38 on: 12 May 2017, 10:08:05 »
While I'm much less familiar with long range weapons load outs I would wager the Warhawk Prime (4 ER PPCs,  LRM-10) which can inflict 70 points at long range would be right up there.

I will see your Warhawk Prime and raise you a Bane 3; for when you absolutely, positively, need to fire all the missiles.  All of them.  All the Missiles.
"Andurien: It's Hell with Jump Points!" - Failed Marketing Slogan for Tourism Andurien, circa 2398

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #39 on: 12 May 2017, 10:09:34 »
While we're on the subject what 'mechs do you feel offers the chance of inflicting the most damage at short, medium and long ranges respectively?

From what I know,  the Kodiak (Ultra AC/20, 8 ER Medium lasers, & 2 SRM-6s) can inflict a whopping 80 points of damage at short range.

Not a clue about medium range.

The Atlas AS8-D can unleash 134 points of damage at short range but hitting with the light PPCs at short range is tricky. On the Clan side of things the Turkina Z can unleash 144 points of damage with the ATMs alone.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 12 May 2017, 13:35:38 »
I never realized any Atlas variant could inflict that level of damage.

I'm only vaguely familiar with the Bane and Turkina.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 12 May 2017, 13:43:55 »
The Akuma AKU-2XK is also pretty potent, 118 if it can hit with everything including a HPPC.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 12 May 2017, 14:32:04 »
Lately, I've been tinkering with SRM4 and LRM10 combos for some odd reason.  Just customized a Timbie B and have a customized Omni Gladiator H chassis with the twin Srm4s and a single LRM10 on each arm.  Kinda like a big bully Commando with range.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 12 May 2017, 15:16:43 »
2 Plasma Cannons and a Centurion weapon system. Raise their heat by an average of between 4 and 15 (the max you can artificially raise it by) and then force a shutdown roll check as if their heat were 15 points higher than it is.

ecm narc beacons and ARAD missiles. Put them in a hostile ecm they can't easily escape, and make them easier to hit at the same time.

Bola narc pods and melee weapons. Disable their limbs and then hack them apart while they can't escape or defend against it.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #44 on: 22 May 2017, 16:55:45 »
I prefer PPCs and more PPCs to be honest.   ;D

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: 24 May 2017, 07:40:41 »

Can't disagree there.   It certainly keeps things simpler.    Long range.    Just stand still and cut loose until the heat level gets too high.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 24 May 2017, 08:22:10 »
Ahhh yes, Steiner PPC, Kurita PPC, Davion PPC, floor.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 24 May 2017, 10:14:45 »
Ahhh yes, Steiner PPC, Kurita PPC, Davion PPC, floor.

If you can make it through three, you're a hero.

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #48 on: 24 May 2017, 17:36:39 »
I never realized any Atlas variant could inflict that level of damage.

I'm only vaguely familiar with the Bane and Turkina.

The Bane III (Kraken III) has 8 LRM 15s and a one shot SRM4. So yes, if you want to blot out the sun on your opponent, firing 120 missiles (you will build up some heat firing them all) in a turn, will do it...

Fair warning about the Bane III. Due to threat assessment, it becomes target number one AND the fact that it is a HUGE ammo dump waiting to be detonated. The counter to being target number one? Indirect fire with a spotter is your friend...

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 25 May 2017, 08:37:56 »
The Bane III (Kraken III) has 8 LRM 15s and a one shot SRM4. So yes, if you want to blot out the sun on your opponent, firing 120 missiles (you will build up some heat firing them all) in a turn, will do it...

Fair warning about the Bane III. Due to threat assessment, it becomes target number one AND the fact that it is a HUGE ammo dump waiting to be detonated. The counter to being target number one? Indirect fire with a spotter is your friend...

So wouldn't the correct tactic with the Bane III be to burn through your ammo as quickly as possible and then start pulling out?   

How deep are its ammo bins?

Another question.   IIRC ALL Clan machines automatically come with CASE for their ammo storage.   But shouldn't there become a point where CASE is no longer capable of saving a 'mech in case of an ammo explosion?    It doesn't make sense to me that the same system that saves a 'mech from one ton of ammo exploding can do the same with five or six tons of ammo exploding.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #50 on: 25 May 2017, 08:57:08 »

From a quick check, the Bane III has 8 tons of potential embarrassment in each side torso.

Another question.   IIRC ALL Clan machines automatically come with CASE for their ammo storage.   But shouldn't there become a point where CASE is no longer capable of saving a 'mech in case of an ammo explosion?    It doesn't make sense to me that the same system that saves a 'mech from one ton of ammo exploding can do the same with five or six tons of ammo exploding.

As I understand it, the concept is frangible panels on the back of each ammo bin, so that the blast is channelled easily and reasonably painlessly outwards. Theoretically, if each ton is treated as a separate, panel-adjacent bin, that should do the job. I can see your point, though!
(This should mean that standing behind a Bane III as the enemy closes is an interesting proposition, but I'm not sure that there are any rules for the CASE Claymore effect.)
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Frederick Steiner

• Recruit
« Reply #51 on: 25 May 2017, 09:09:41 »
AC10 for the punch plus SRM6 for peppering

Basically a bigger weapon for opening up locations - I prefer the AC10 over the PPC for that due to no problems at short range.

Then a crit seeker, which also doubles as a motion system crit seeker against vehicles - SRM6 will do it, though I would prefer multiple SRM2 when possible.

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: 26 May 2017, 15:21:46 »
From a quick check, the Bane III has 8 tons of potential embarrassment in each side torso.

As I understand it, the concept is frangible panels on the back of each ammo bin, so that the blast is channelled easily and reasonably painlessly outwards. Theoretically, if each ton is treated as a separate, panel-adjacent bin, that should do the job. I can see your point, though!
(This should mean that standing behind a Bane III as the enemy closes is an interesting proposition, but I'm not sure that there are any rules for the CASE Claymore effect.)

Wonder what would happen to a Clan Elemental if they were still mounted on a Bane (or any ammo heavy mech) and a lucky shot set off the ammo.

Though I guess Clan combined arms doctrine was for Elementals to dismount well before that was likely to happen though.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #53 on: 26 May 2017, 16:32:44 »
Wonder what would happen to a Clan Elemental if they were still mounted on a Bane (or any ammo heavy mech) and a lucky shot set off the ammo.

I'm not sure, but it might be fun to watch!

(Maybe it would become a new prototype Land-Air-Elemental?)
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 26 May 2017, 16:42:56 »
That's Awesome! 8)

I'm not sure, but it might be fun to watch!

(Maybe it would become a new prototype Land-Air-Elemental?)
More like shrapnel.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 26 May 2017, 16:48:40 »
So I am tired, and it's the end of the work week, but when I read a few comments above ending with Land-Air Elementals, for some reason in my head I got the idea you all were talking about a Bane that fired Elementals out of it's launchers as if they were ammo.

I may need to go to sleep.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #56 on: 26 May 2017, 21:57:03 »
So I am tired, and it's the end of the work week, but when I read a few comments above ending with Land-Air Elementals, for some reason in my head I got the idea you all were talking about a Bane that fired Elementals out of it's launchers as if they were ammo.

I may need to go to sleep.

I'm fairly certain it exists out there as someone's publicized AU.  Assuming I get around to it this weekend I will go looking through my bookmarks I will post the link if I find it.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #57 on: 26 May 2017, 22:11:27 »
So wouldn't the correct tactic with the Bane III be to burn through your ammo as quickly as possible and then start pulling out?   
That is the plan.

It has 16 tons of ammo.  Or to break that down further it is enough to shoot off 1 ton of ammo per turn with a cool down every two to three turns if you don't want to incur the +1 modifier of from heat.

While in reality this is true, CASE is an item that exists as in a fantasy of abstractions.  As such it over simplifies what could happen.  Even if the mech survives the initial catastrophic explosion, a couple different chain reactions are likely to occur:

1) The possibility of a chain reaction from an additional critical hit.

2) The pilot is going to take 2 hits from the initial explosion and possibly more.

3) There is a heat spike that will occur that may cause a heat threshold check for an ammo explosion which brings us back to #2.  You could thus say it could be absolutely glorious meltdown when the tent goes up in flames.

Though I guess Clan combined arms doctrine was for Elementals to dismount well before that was likely to happen though.

Unless elementals are swarming a Bane, they shouldn't be mounted on one since it is not an omni mech.

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 27 May 2017, 14:35:44 »
That is the plan.
It has 16 tons of ammo.  Or to break that down further it is enough to shoot off 1 ton of ammo per turn with a cool down every two to three turns if you don't want to incur the +1 modifier of from heat.
While in reality this is true, CASE is an item that exists as in a fantasy of abstractions.  As such it over simplifies what could happen.  Even if the mech survives the initial catastrophic explosion, a couple different chain reactions are likely to occur:

1) The possibility of a chain reaction from an additional critical hit.

2) The pilot is going to take 2 hits from the initial explosion and possibly more.

3) There is a heat spike that will occur that may cause a heat threshold check for an ammo explosion which brings us back to #2.  You could thus say it could be absolutely glorious meltdown when the tent goes up in flames.

Unless elementals are swarming a Bane, they shouldn't be mounted on one since it is not an omni mech.

Good point.   Though IIRC during the Wolf Dragoons Civil War the Dragoon elementals under the command of Elson Novacat mounted themselves on some  'mechs using simple welded handholds.    If the Dragoons could do this I simply assumed the Clanners could too.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #59 on: 27 May 2017, 14:45:19 »
Good point.   Though IIRC during the Wolf Dragoons Civil War the Dragoon elementals under the command of Elson Novacat mounted themselves on some  'mechs using simple welded handholds.    If the Dragoons could do this I simply assumed the Clanners could too.
I don't see as there is any reason it shouldn't be a thing in universe either.  The explanation that is out there for why normal mechs can't simply be modified the same way has to do with some blanket reasoning about weight distribution and the way omni mechs are constructed and possibly gyros calibrated as compared to a standard battle mech.  I could be wrong and someone can feel free to correct me.  That is part of the reason we have magnetic clamps rules that we have now.  Even if they don't really make sense.