Author Topic: HPG vs Jumpships  (Read 1930 times)

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
HPG vs Jumpships
« on: 06 January 2019, 13:47:33 »
We know that a jumpship must be either in a Lagrange point or a long way from the sun (Zenith or Nadirpoint). If not - no jump or fireball.
But what about HPGs?
They rip a small hole in realspace and open a hole at the destination point. But there is no explanation if this holes must be at a Lagrange-point or can be ripped open everywhere.
As HPGs and jumpships use both hyperspace shouldnt be a rule consistend for both, like no hyperspace entry unless its a Lagrangepoint or far away from the sun?

And that leeds us to
And now think of a real-time conference of all rulers of the IS.
It is said that the real-time calls are just like a telephone call for us in the REAL WORLD. So considering that a transmission needs some time from Nadir-point to planet that says the HPG opens a hole near the planet.
But even if every planet has a moon (for Lagrange-points) and even if the transmission time from Lagrangepoint to planet is only half a second, if you make a real-time conference of all rulers those half a second per planet add up. So the longer the conference goes the longer waiting time the rulers have in the end.
(Just say that the circle is from Liao to Marik, to Steiner to Kurita to Davion to Terra to Liao and that you have a delay from 4 seconds in this circle. It adds up.)

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: HPG vs Jumpships
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2019, 22:12:23 »
HPGs work in the gravity well.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2019, 16:48:05 »
As noted on p. 330 Tactical Operations, Hyperpulse Generators create their own jump points so they can operate on a planetary surface. Further, they're only transmitting electromagnetic energy, not a ship that needs to arrive un-mangled.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2019, 07:02:07 »
Thanks.

But with 5+ main rulebooks of 300+ pages I cannot remember everything.
Sorry.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2019, 08:59:05 »
But with 5+ main rulebooks of 300+ pages I cannot remember everything.
Sorry.

No need to apologize, and I'll apologize if I came across as terse.

I understand trying to remember everything in the books. Frankly, TacOps was not where I was looking for the description. I assumed it was in one of the sections I wrote in Strategic Operations, Interstellar Ops, or Campaign Ops. I think my big write-up for HPGs hasn't been published yet.

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2019, 17:54:30 »
Hah, found another: Strategic Operation p. 250 mention, "HPGs famously generate an artificial jump point of microscopic scale and send a signal through, so they can even work in planetary gravity fields." On p. 251, it then mentions the use of standard electromagnetic signals pumped through the jump point.

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2019, 12:28:26 »
Thanks.

No, you were not terse. Sorry, if I gave you this impression.
Sometimes I cannot suppress the little rules lawyer in me. Or I spot something and then I overanalyze it.

Register