Author Topic: PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk (Unseen) / 9th Marik Militia  (Read 8175 times)

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
Re: PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk (Unseen) / 9th Marik Militia
« Reply #30 on: 23 September 2017, 21:00:00 »
Have you ever considered using a stanley knife for cutting, rather than sawing? I do this where it's a thinner cut - eg. slicing under the foot of a Panther, or at the joint between the upper arm & shoulderpiece on a PXH?
W.

If you are talking about a utility knife, the answer is: No I have not... But I do use a xacto knife now and again, usually the slightly broader bladed ones (not the ones that come with the pencil width holders) in a thicker handled holder. Cutting has its place, and yes it doesn't eat any material, but I prefer the saw usually. Mainly I think the saw gives better control... Because of the pressure required, knifes can dent or bend other parts of the mini, and one good slip and there is a mess to clean up (I bled for that mini!!!)... For this 9th Marik P-Hawk though, I ended up using my jeweler's saw, knife and some soldering iron tools (hard, edged tools made for scraping solder), all just to remove the head. So it does come into play, just maybe not as much as others use it.

As for cutting the feet off of bases... I've gotten either lazy, cheap or both (because God forbid it be wisdom  :) ) as time goes by... I've started using a standard hardware store type coping saw instead of breaking half a dozen 3/0 blades.

Also, because I have a packrat / hoarder gene, I save as much of the metal fillings as I can, mix them with glue, and add them to bases when I have tight spaces and need a little extra weight on the base...

Pewter is a pretty soft metal.

Some are softer than others, each having their own quirks... The type of metal I am working with sometimes plays into the selection of one tool over the other for a particular cut.

Mwenski

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 23 September 2017, 23:00:18 »
Thank you, Caz. That's very descriptive. I appreciate it. I hope you don't mind if I borrow some of those ideas. I can't get enough of the motion  you've captured in this Phoenix Hawk. Thank you for taking the time to layout how you made the cut and the rebuilding process, and your tool kit.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 24 September 2017, 08:53:19 »
I hope you don't mind if I borrow some of those ideas.

Borrow away...  ;D

And if you have any other questions, you are welcome to PM or Email me too (this applies to everyone. It is why I attached an email address). I can't always promise to get right back, but I do try to respond.

Caz

Register