Author Topic: another question for the panel: what if? (narrowed selection)  (Read 2213 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
You're a House Lord, with lots of factories.

You can build any single design, but only one design of each general weight class;

Light (15-35 tons)
Medium(40-55 tons)
Heavy (60-75 tons)
Assault(80-100 tons)

Your choices will be the ONLY 'mechs your army fields in each classification, and you're facing not only the Clan Invasion, but other Houses as well.

Oh, and it's 3060, and you can't make Clantech.

What Canon designs do you choose for each weight class, (Keeping in mind you can only build the one design/variant, no customs) to secure your nation?  why did you choose the designs you've chosen? How are you intending to use them?

anything you want, as long as  you only take one per weight class in each movement type.  Think "highly standardized forces", aka your Heavy Tank is one tank design, your "Light Tank" is one tank design, your APC/IFV for ground is one design, your VTOL forces have a gunship and a slick, and so on.  basically trading variation for volume in your ground forces.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2018, 13:37:37 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Re: another question for the panel: what if? (narrowed selection)
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2018, 07:23:26 »
Awesome 9Q - I love the thing and four PPC's is a lot of Fire support. Their might be some better options for Assault mechs out there with a better weapons array: obviously Clan tech, but I'm sticking with it.

Torn between the Falconer and the Guillotine 8D. I would have preferred a trooper OmniMech in this slot but I don't like any of the IS Omni's for this era. The Falconer would serve as my Heavyweight strikers, with the Guillotine would serve best as a trooper.

I'm also torn on the TR1 Wraith and the Wolverine II. The Wraith would be deadly and devious but against Clan mechs maybe not. The Wolverine II would be my trooper and I'd spawn a boat load of them.

And for the light I would say the Wolfhound: upgrading that beast as the eras go on. I was tempted for the Panther or even the Spider: to be fair I also wanted the Scarabus with TSM, but in the end settled with a nice solid hunter.

I would love to see my vehicle forces before committing to any choices though, and I'm going to curse my R and D team as well as my factories for limiting me to four chassis.

(The challenge becomes so much easier pre-3050 and with Clan tech of course (even just solely Clan Mechs))

Lagbreaker

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2018, 13:04:28 »
For 3060 or older I´d probably field these mechs:

Venom SDR-9KA:
Better armored than the base model it hunts down- together with the Wraith - everything fast. I dont see a point of taking anything slower since the Wraith exists.

Wraith TR-1:

Pulse lasers with fast movement and heavier amor than a light is ideal vs IS or clan. Clan forces particulary dont like their speed advantage being contested. Being limited to only 1 medium design and an intro date of 3060 or older there doesnt seem to me to be much of an alternative.

Marauder MAD-5D:

IMO the perfect allrounder heavy mech. 2 ER-PPCs and pulse lasers with near max armor makes this a benchmark IS heavy mech for me.

Nightstar NSR-9J:

Of all the dual Gauss IS assaults this one is the best for me.
3 true long range weapons (unlike a Devastator which fields two additional  2 "medium ranged" PPCs) , the gauss are located in the arms, so the mech is not prone to be blown up by a single backstab like a Thunderhawk is. It has plenty of ammo and 2 engine hits dont stop it from firing its main weapons.

With those four mechs one should be able to deal with a wide variety of forces, IS or clan.

vs Clan:
The Light and Medium choice is necessary as a safeguard against fast long range meks, say an Incubus or Ice Ferret, etc. since heavier and slower IS meks cant touch those.
My heavier units need solid Long range weapons, to be able to challenge long range firepower vs say a Direwolf or similar long range hitters

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2018, 14:06:11 »
Light: Spector 5F - 7/11/7 speed with ECM. Respectable firepower
Medium: Cronus 5M (I also love the TR1 but we need some variety) - Mobile medium with a variety of weapons for the trooper on the go.
Heavy: Archer 5R - I felt like I needed some fire support but also needed something durable. CASE and SFE significantly increases survivability.
Assault: Hauptmann Prime - I really wanted to go with the BNC-5S here but I sided with a more conservative approach that also brings an LB-20 to the table in case someone decides to bring airstrikes.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2018, 21:28:48 »
Since I assume omni is off the table for is.

Light: venom 9kb
Medium: wolverine 7k. 2t of srm gives inferno capacity, and pulses help hit pesky fast movers
Heavy: no-dachi 2k (tsm, an er large, 5 medium pulses, and ecm amongst other things)
Assault: akuma 1xj . Jumping assault with an lbx20 and mrm40. Scary.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2018, 21:05:21 »

Yay!

You can build any single design, but only one design of each general weight class;

Awww.
I do presume you mean that, between those 4 weight classes, hundreds will be made in some kind of distribution I control? IE 4000 Mechs in a 10:20:60:10 distribution as a clumsy example? Volume matters.

Mech forces:
These will do most of the fighting, leaving non-fighting tasks to vehicles. Inability to change variants means the only modularity is ammo types, so not even going to try to lift those jobs with Mechs.

Light:
Spector SPR-5S. JJs, Stealth Armor and high mobility means that companies of these guys can get where I want them and without the enemy being able to do a whole lot about it. Some range, so these guys can do what Light combat units are supposed to do: pick your target, and have the speed to avoid fights you don't want.
Their job is *NOT* recon, but they wouldn't completely suck at it.

Medium
Starslayer 3D. Job: Cavalry. They're quick enough to fill (or exploit) strategic holes as they appear, and durable enough (no XL, full armor, no ammo) to hang for a while until the Heavies get there. Range of weapons means that there's not a lot of weaponry out there that can shell Starslayer companies without getting some PPC for their trouble.
They lack the staying power to be a main line unit, and wouldn't be used that way. (See also my above distribution of units)

Heavy
Dragonfire DGR-4F. Main Battle. These guys are how battles are won, the other Mechs just provide strategic utility in a ground war. Romping in battalion-size formations (or larger) their main weapons wreck whatever they can see.
LBX provides some AA utility against VTOLs until they can be chased off by aerospace. Also good at neutralizing vehicles.
Pulse lasers give an answer against fast units trying to skirmish. ECM gives options against C3 enemies.
GR permits some parity with Clans.
XL a bit of a liability, but these guys should withdraw when their ammo runs low anyway, and shouldn't keep fighting when the armor gives.
Standard mode, these formations would avoid physical combat (either by never closing with the enemy, or by killing whatever tries to approach), so lack of heat weaponry to neutralize TSM should in practice not become a huge problem. If the Capellans bring a battalion of Ti Tsangs, well, things are just going to suck a little for a while.

Presuming the optional rule of shutting down Gauss Rifles, these guys shouldn't be too prone to ammo/XL related catastrophies.

Assault
Imp IMP-1B. Role is to hold what must be held, or to break what's not mobile. Deployed in company strength or above, these are marched in to stationary targets we can't degrade sufficiently with artillery or aero. Or they're deployed (via DropShip) to hold positions we can't lose, reinforcing the Starslayers in a gap, and holding until the Dragonfires show to take care of the problem. 
Zombie with pretty solid range capabilities, LRM20 is there to provide some all-round utility. IE Frag to clear woods and infantry, incendiary and smoke ammo to bring your own cover, or to provide some Indirect capability. Sop would be to dump ammo, rather than compromise the unit's zombie capability; depending on known opposition, they might deploy with minimal ammo just to enhance their survival rate.

You want vehicles too?
Light and medium: some kind of setup where they do 99% of recon and infantry mobility. IE, a Maxim and a light vehicle for scouting, or a light vehicle for the infantry, and a medium for scouting.
Heavy: LRM carrier.
Assault: Some semi-mobile pillbox
VTOL gunship: Whatever has LRMs or better and a lot of speed.
VTOL cargo carrier: toss-up between going heavy cargo and slow speed, or high speed, low cargo, but zillions of them. IE Karnov vs. Ferret

Aero:
Light: Knifefighting dogfight bastards.
Medium: Aerospace superiority
Heavy: DropShip assaulters/bombers

Artillery:
Plenty, though all Arrow IV if I can find a Light/Medium with TAG, since I couldn't park any on the Mechs.
Artillery rules suuuuuck.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2018, 04:42:52 »
Interestingly, I made many of the same choices as the other people who have replied before reading their answers

Light 'Mech: Spector
Medium 'Mech: Starslayer
Heavy 'Mech: this is the tricky one... Warhammer, Thunderbolt, Marauder, War Dog, Penetrator, Falconer...
Assault 'Mech: Pillager

I really don't know what I'd opt for in terms of a Heavy 'Mech

I'd also like to have a range of different types of AFVs to allow different roles like artillery, tank, IFV, APC
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2018, 16:58:07 »
Light Mech: Jenner-7K, Speed, Jump Jets, Inferno SRMs
Medium Mech: Phoenix Hawk-1b, Speed, Jump Jets, Limited Ammo dependence
Heavy Mech: Thunderbolt-5Sb, Good all around mech for Heavy Assaults
Assault Mech: Atlas II or Zeus-5T (Though to be truthful I would like an Atlas and a Zeus), Atlas is a good Commanders Mech, Zeus is a nice mobile Assaultmech.
« Last Edit: 24 April 2018, 08:44:18 by snewsom2997 »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Light: MON-66 Mongoose, for its armament and Beagle probe.

Medium: PXH-2 Phoenix Hawk, which won out over the PXH-3K on account of ECM.

Heavy: ARC-2Rb Archer. This is my fire support 'Mech.

Assault:  BLR-1Gb or BLR-1Gbc BattleMaster.  The latter drops three heat sinks from the former for a command console.  Ideally, I would like both, but either would suffice, and the command console has some good utility.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
Interesting and Fun Topic!

The fact that this scenario would have you facing clans as well as IS lords is the key point for me. If just facing IS opponents, then I would probably look for slower designs than I've chosen that have STD engines. With clans and the firepower they bring, you just need XL's to play ball. Also range becomes all too important. Missiles are a waste of tonnage on mechs when facing clan tech.

I've picked these not as the best niche mechs, or the best generalists even, but as the best and most damaging in a straight up fight for their size. Predominance of energy and long range weapons mean they are hitting hard and fast at range. No ammo to blow up, and cheaper logistics. If I need LRM missile support I'll use conventional vehicles, same thing with AA, Scouting, anti infantry, etc.

Trying to pick mechs that will accomplish all of these things with only one choice in each weight class is going to mean getting your butt handed to you in your first major mech on mech fight. These choices allow the mechs to do what they do best, hit other mechs.

So with that said, I would go with...

Assault: Devastator DVS-2
The Devastator provides a good dual gauss assault mech with some staying power for "doing assault mech stuff".

Heavy: Falconer FLC-8R
The Falconer's speed as a Heavy allows it to participate in flanking actions, and considering there is only going to be a couple of types of mechs, that's important. It also gives good punch for the size. Along with the Lynx, these will make up the bulk of my force, which can act as a fast mobile heavy cavalry .

Medium: Lynx LNX-9R
Decent speed, good armor, jumpy, and nothing to go boom. The Lynx is a good general purpose mech with some sniping capability.

Light: Night Hawk NTK-2S (The one with BAP & ECM)
Provides scout capability, but the speed is not ideal for that. The idea here is it can be utilized as a scout mech, but its main focus is providing support to the mech lines.

For The Archon!

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2018, 06:41:45 »

Light (15-35 tons)
Medium(40-55 tons)
Heavy (60-75 tons)
Assault(80-100 tons)

Your choices will be the ONLY 'mechs your army fields in each classification, and you're facing not only the Clan Invasion, but other Houses as well.

Oh, and it's 3060, and you can't make Clantech.

What Canon designs do you choose for each weight class, (Keeping in mind you can only build the one design/variant, no customs) to secure your nation?  why did you choose the designs you've chosen? How are you intending to use them?

anything you want, as long as  you only take one per weight class in each movement type.  Think "highly standardized forces", aka your Heavy Tank is one tank design, your "Light Tank" is one tank design, your APC/IFV for ground is one design, your VTOL forces have a gunship and a slick, and so on.  basically trading variation for volume in your ground forces.

What about making MilitiaMechs like the Arbiter or Sarissa? Am I allowed to use those as force multipliers for militia?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2018, 01:41:08 »
My problem is I don't use off the shelf lodouts most of the time. I like to take a chassis and tinker.  What I can say is it would probably be some variation of the following Atlas, Marauder, Shadow Hawk, and Commando.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2018, 03:19:48 »

Light (15-35 tons)
Medium(40-55 tons)
Heavy (60-75 tons)
Assault(80-100 tons)

For mechs -
Assault Class: Highlander 732b. Firepower and armor protection. Anchor for defense or conduct break through.
Heavy Class: Grasshopper 7K. All energy means no worries about ammo, good armor. Work with the Highlander.
Medium Class: Sentry 04. Good armor and firepower. Multi role mission.
Light Class: Spector 4F. For the special missions. Actually I wouldn't even admit to building these.

For vehicles -
Assault - Alacorn Mk VI. Defensive anchor
Heavy - Patton Ultra. Flood the battlefield.
Medium: Drillson. Love this tank, it's like the Thunderbolt 5S of vehicles.
Light: Galleon 102. Recon

SLDF_Gunslinger

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 06 June 2018, 21:56:14 »
     Nice to see so many posters using so many SLDF mechs/variants in their 'desert island' scenario. You can probably guess where my choices are going... :thumbsup:

These choices were built around the concept of a highly strategically mobile armed force. These units can potentially quickly reach and fight in any terrain, are more easily combat dropped and can all sub orbital drop as they all possess jump jets, eliminating the need for external apparatus for drops.   All of these units were chosen in order to minimize the number of weapons systems and maximize the use of potential shared systems for repair purposes, thus simplifying the necessary logistics train for your armies. And, since BV is not considered in this hypothetical, I made my picks accordingly:

Assault: Pillager PLG-3Z. Max armor, jump capable, Gauss Rifles and a solid suite of lasers. And it runs cool. It might be a BV hog, but it can go anywhere and deliver some serious pain downrange, every round. Also great for defending static positions at range and a competent urban fighter.

Heavy: Cestus (Allard Liao). Contentious choice, but it is a canon unit from what I can gather. Again, a Gauss Rifle and a suite of lasers give this mech plenty of firepower to tangle with most Clan mechs and the addition of Jump jets that most Clan mechs lack.

Medium: Starslayer STY-3D. The only semi oddball with the ER PPC, but we can live with that. Plus, if the Customization rules from Strategic Operations are in use, you can get creative with re purposing those in any of the other 3 units. Solid Medium Trooper.

Light: Spector SPR-5F. Max armor and ECM.  Decent firepower, superior maneuverability and the ability to fill many traditional light mech rolls and still somewhat fight above its weight.

Are these the most durable and cost effective units? No. But they do give you at ton of flexibility and ability to control where the battle happens with potentially greater frequency, which is another good foil for the Clan canon meta as well.

Register