Author Topic: AFFS Combat Vehicles  (Read 2988 times)

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
AFFS Combat Vehicles
« on: 01 September 2014, 18:00:00 »
I need some help, guys.  I think I've settled on the First Armored Cavalry for my AFFS company.  I like medium mechs and I like the Davion green & white highlights.  I want to add in some combat vehicles, though.  Basically, the unit will be a showpiece to pose opposite my Ghost Bears showpiece.  It will probably never see combat, but I would like it fiction-accurate.  The thing is, though, I have no idea how to organize non-mech units.  Right now, I'm thinking 4 Fulcrums for fast attack/harassment; 4 Saladins for fast, hover-enabled AC-20's; and a pair of SRM Carriers matched to a pair of LRM Carriers.  Because missile carriers are awesome.

Like I said, though, I know NOTHING about organizing tanks, so if any if those are particularly un-Davion, let me know.  I'm shooting for the 3058/3060-ish era.

Anyrate, as always, advice is EXTREMELY welcome.  Thanks!
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Archangel

• Major
Re: AFFS Combat Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2014, 18:13:57 »
It really depends upon what era you are talking about.  According to FM: FedSuns, the unit was "tasked mainly with scouting and harassment missions" and was made up solely of hovertanks including two platoons of Regulators.  For hovertanks you are looking at Pegasus, Fulcrum, Drillson, Condor and Regulator hovertanks (per FM: FedSuns vehicle RAT).

The only issue would be with the four missile carriers since they are tracked rather than hover.  The Saladin has been around long enough and produced in such large numbers that they have made their way throughout the Inner Sphere and into the Periphery as well so it wouldn't be too surprised to find some in a Davion unit whether purchased or salvaged from an enemy.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2014, 18:42:18 »
If you want some tracked missile support, Hunters would probably be more appropriate.  They're a Fedsun design and are just about light and fast enough to be used in a raiding force.

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2014, 10:20:17 »
For hovertanks you are looking at Pegasus, Fulcrum, Drillson, Condor and Regulator hovertanks (per FM: FedSuns vehicle RAT).

I can work with that list, thanks! 

Would the J. Edgar be a viable choice as well?  I'd like to keep the force as ammo independent as possible.  Also, the Beagle/TAG variant would be great for spotting.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2014, 17:14:00 »
The AFFS don't use Regulators in any significant numbers - the RAT is incorrect.  They definitely do use certain J. Edgar variants.

This MUL search should help guide you a little further:
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=&MaxBV=&MinIntro=2000&MaxIntro=3060&MinCost=&MaxCost=&HasBFAbility=&HasRole=&Types=19&BookAuto=&FactionAuto=&Factions=55&Factions=29

If you want specifically hovercraft, you can set the subtype to Hover.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2014, 19:50:13 »
I REALLY need to learn to consult the MUL before I hit the forums  :-[

That's a big help, thanks.  I think four Harassers, four Saladins, and four Fulcrums.  I like the J Edgar, but I like the Harasser more.  Especially the 5xSmall laser version.  The Saladin is just too much fun to pass up.  The Fulcrum is a nice all-around.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2014, 01:07:52 »
The AFFS don't use Regulators in any significant numbers - the RAT is incorrect.  They definitely do use certain J. Edgar variants.

If you want specifically hovercraft, you can set the subtype to Hover.

But we are not talking about the AFFS as a whole, we are talking about a specific unit, which, pre-FedCom Civil War, fielded two platoons of Regulators.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2014, 17:45:09 »
But we are not talking about the AFFS as a whole, we are talking about a specific unit, which, pre-FedCom Civil War, fielded two platoons of Regulators.

So are we talking about two platoons out of three regiments? Or 8 tanks out of 324?

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2014, 20:13:51 »
So are we talking about two platoons out of three regiments? Or 8 tanks out of 324?

No.  Two platoons out of a single armor battalion (hover) or 8 tanks out of a total of 36 tanks or ~22%.  It was only after the Jihad that the auxiliary group (one armor battalion and one battle armor battalion) was expanded into a full regiment (FM3085, p56).  The 1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry was never a RCT.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2014, 20:23:11 »
No.  Two platoons out of a single armor battalion (hover) or 8 tanks out of a total of 36 tanks or ~22%.  It was only after the Jihad that the auxiliary group (one armor battalion and one battle armor battalion) was expanded into a full regiment (FM3085, p56).  The 1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry was never a RCT.

I do not have my books with me here at work, but according to Sarna it was a RCT in 3028, they give the source of NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 11. Like I said do not have my copy with me to double check.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2014, 23:08:46 »
Yeah, the SRM/LRM tracks would not work for the 1FSAC as they used to have a bit about being 5/8 minimum speed.  I always wanted to hear they had some of the 5/8 omnitanks the FS fields . . . and later, Kinnols or even Clan built Jousts which fit their doctrine IMO.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."