Author Topic: Token Capellan Unit?  (Read 2645 times)

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
Token Capellan Unit?
« on: 12 January 2015, 15:13:22 »
If you would be so kind, fill in the blank...

DCMS -> Sword of Light
AFFS -> Brigade of Guards
LCAF -> Lyran Guards
FWLM -> Marik Militia
CCAF -> ???????????

What I am specifically looking for is not necessarily the cream-of-the-crop-super-duper-elite of the CCAF, but a command that shares the common theme of "all regiments of the __________ paint their mechs in ____________ colors"  Like how all of the Brigade of guards use the red, white, and blue stripes.  Or how all SoL units use flat red.  At this point, I'm thinking either the Capellan Hussars or the Capellan Defense Force. 

As some background, I had the bright idea to divide up the Intro Box mechs and whatever was left unpainted from my original collection of minis into faction-specific lances.  Not as legitimately competitive lances, just something to paint and display in the office.  The Combine, Lyran Alliance, AFFS and FWL were all pieces of cake (though I do want to do a non-Sword of Light unit in the future).  For the life of me, though, I can't figure who fits the bill for the Capellan's.  Camospecs has a beautiful selection of the Warrior Houses, but they are all drastically different from one another.  The Death Commandos might work, but I was hoping for something that really pops, and I don't know if flat black has that kind of visual impact. 

Cheers!   
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
Re: Token Capellan Unit?
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2015, 15:27:02 »
When I think of CapCon I think of the BigMac. MacCarons atmired Cavalry. Sure they're a merc unit, but a very house specific merc unit. If not that one, then one of the warrior houses... Mat-tzu Kai maybe.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2015, 15:48:57 »

DCMS -> Sword of Light
LCAF -> Lyran Guards
FWLM -> Marik Militia
CCAF -> ???????????

What I am specifically looking for is not necessarily the cream-of-the-crop-super-duper-elite of the CCAF, but a command that shares the common theme of "all regiments of the __________ paint their mechs in ____________ colors"  Like how all of the Brigade of guards use the red, white, and blue stripes.  Or how all SoL units use flat red.  At this point, I'm thinking either the Capellan Hussars or the Capellan Defense Force. 

As some background, I had the bright idea to divide up the Intro Box mechs and whatever was left unpainted from my original collection of minis into faction-specific lances.  Not as legitimately competitive lances, just something to paint and display in the office.  The Combine, Lyran Alliance, AFFS and FWL were all pieces of cake (though I do want to do a non-Sword of Light unit in the future).  For the life of me, though, I can't figure who fits the bill for the Capellan's.  Camospecs has a beautiful selection of the Warrior Houses, but they are all drastically different from one another.  The Death Commandos might work, but I was hoping for something that really pops, and I don't know if flat black has that kind of visual impact. 

Cheers!   

The Capellan Hussars are all variations on red with gold and black highlights. Other than that, most Capellan units are relatively individual, or use camouflage.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2015, 15:52:53 »
Yep, Capellan Hussars - specifically the Red Heart Guard.

The Warrior Houses aren't CCAF, they're the Chancellor's private troops.

The Death Commandos, meanwhile, don't have a unified paint scheme - they're using YOUR paint scheme while they're repairing your 'Mechs, manage your supplies, and serve meals in your officers' mess hall.  >:D
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2015, 17:07:17 »
The real question is: what base color would you like to use?

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2015, 17:30:34 »
Just as a side note there is one Marik Militia that is not using purple.  :D

I would also go for the Capellan Hussars for a Multi Regiment unit. Or take the Tau Ceti. You will always recognize them. ;)

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2015, 18:39:49 »
Capellan Hussars. Even though they are in red. :)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2015, 18:49:50 »
Yep, Capellan Hussars - specifically the Red Heart Guard.

The Warrior Houses aren't CCAF, they're the Chancellor's private troops.

The Death Commandos, meanwhile, don't have a unified paint scheme - they're using YOUR paint scheme while they're repairing your 'Mechs, manage your supplies, and serve meals in your officers' mess hall.  >:D
I hear the meals they serve are Soylent Green.  And the less said about what they do to the cattle the better.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2015, 20:06:19 »
The real question is: what base color would you like to use?

I don't have a preference for a base.  When I first hatched the idea for this boondoggle, I expected the Capellan unit to show of some shade of green. That is not a requirement, though. 

Mostly, what I'm looking for is a paint scheme I can use that will be easily identified as belonging to a specific command without being tied to one exact regiment (again, like how a blue and white paint scheme could belong to any Lyran Guard unit).

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2015, 20:10:11 »
Just as a side note there is one Marik Militia that is not using purple.  :D

Well, you know, there's always gotta be one guy who tries to stand out  :P

I had thought about using the Tau Ceti, too.  I *might* try and throw together a second Capellan unit for either them or McCarron's Armored Cav.  Or maybe just do individual mechs...

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2015, 20:11:45 »
Thanks for of the responses and ideas, all.  I appreciate the chance to bounce ideas off of you guys  :)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2015, 20:22:25 »
Depending on when you're looking at, the Capellan Defense Force (post 3050 or so) would be a logical candidate. 7 regiments, with a unified paint scheme - "light summer colours" in patchwork camo. Add a little of the obligatory jade trim, and you're set.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2015, 21:19:42 »
I know they "aren't CCAF" and all, but I'd go Warrior Houses.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #13 on: 12 January 2015, 22:17:56 »
I admit I'm working on a 3067-ish augumented battalion of 4th Tau Ceti Rangers, but mainly because they're a distinctive scheme in colours I haven't done lots of already.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2015, 02:32:58 »

DCMS -> Sword of Light
LCAF -> Lyran Guards
FWLM -> Marik Militia
CCAF -> ???????????

What I am specifically looking for is not necessarily the cream-of-the-crop-super-duper-elite of the CCAF, but a command that shares the common theme of "all regiments of the __________ paint their mechs in ____________ colors"

Well, why not the Confederation Reserve Cavalry then? :P

cheers,

Gabe
 Like how all of the Brigade of guards use the red, white, and blue stripes.  Or how all SoL units use flat red.  At this point, I'm thinking either the Capellan Hussars or the Capellan Defense Force. 

Cheers!   
[/quote]
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.