Author Topic: Money for Mercing: The home of Mercenaries  (Read 10049 times)

Nav_Alpha

• Major
Re: Money for Mercing: The home of Mercenaries
« Reply #30 on: 19 March 2018, 06:55:52 »
Which era in BT history would you consider the golden age of the mercenary? I think I would put my money on the CLan Invasion. Though a lot of mercenary units were wiped out in this period, there seemed to be even more call for them than during the Succession War era.

Yeah... but you may well end up,facing the Clans in your grandpa's 3025 era Archer...

I'd say from 3058 to 3067 - Chaos March, Xin Shen, some perif action, FedCom Civil War, Blakists in the Chaos March.

Chaos March is self explanatory - easy, lots of employees and easy to actually do well despite having older tech. If you can avoid the FedCom Civil War meatgrinders and stick to the smaller noble on noble/corporate or even smaller Loyalist v Rebels work you can do well.
Answer then later - working for or against the Word in that late 60s Chaos March is all kinds of fun.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #31 on: 19 March 2018, 09:11:13 »
The Archer should be fine if you can get a hold of NARC ammo . . . problem is we have squat in the way of fast NARC hitters.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #32 on: 19 March 2018, 17:54:15 »
The Archer should be fine if you can get a hold of NARC ammo . . . problem is we have squat in the way of fast NARC hitters.

Never used an Owens D eh?

Nasty Lance using an Owens and triple Archer-2S.

TT
« Last Edit: 19 March 2018, 17:56:43 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #33 on: 19 March 2018, 18:01:33 »
Sure, A mech . . . an expensive and sort of rare Omni.  Look how many VTOLs have NARC launchers?  How many commonly available light hovercraft have NARC?  or iNARC since it did not suffer the C3i stigma?

If you look at the post my comment responded to, it was about making L1 designs more competitive when facing the Clans or going against the IS forces which were upgrading in the '50s.  It also counts for periphery bums holding off the IS in later eras.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 20 March 2018, 04:10:20 »
That's my point, Colt. Why go up against the Clans where you need to buy expensive Mechs like the Owens or such just to survive - not even win a contract, but to survive.
Go Chaos March or the periphery and you can face off against lesser enemies in your older equipment. Win. Make the cash and eventually upgrade.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #35 on: 21 March 2018, 10:50:17 »
OK. Here is the assignment. The year is 3062. Design an affordable, cost effective company.

What are your choices?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #36 on: 21 March 2018, 12:23:19 »
Common merc mechs?

IMO . . .

Fire Support Lance
Zeus 9S
Archer 2R equipped with DHS
Catapult C1
Hunchback 5N

Striker Lance
Wolverine 6M
Griffin 1N- equip DHS but drop # to 10, replace LRM10 with 15
Starslayer 3D
Phoenix Hawk 1- equip DHS, swap for FF armor, replace weapons with NARC, 3 ERML & 2 SPL

Brawler
Ostroc 2D- go to doubles, drop 1 and swap SRMs for NARC
Lineholder 2
Lineholder 2
Lineholder 2

Use NARC compatible ammo for all the launchers, which should also be appropriate clauses written into contracts, and overcome the problem of a lack of cheap NARC mechs by refitting some on to cheaper mechs.  Wolverine, Griffin and Lineholders will all be able to share the same parts, the Starslayer & Hunchback, and except for the Starslayer its a bunch of designs that have been around hundreds of years.  The Lineholders have upgrade kits available that convert to DHS and improve the weapons which makes them useful. 

But the company comes out to a rough cost of 63 mil and should be able to do well in the Chaos March or Periphery edge.  Against House second string they will do ok, against veteran or elite formations they will suffer.
Colt Ward

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 27 March 2018, 07:45:47 »
You know just because a Mercenary unit is completely wiped out doesn't mean it can't be revived in the future.   In our modern world companies and product lines go out of business all the time but are revived.   Sometimes many years later.

In my outline for a proposed (hope for) BT television series (3045 era) I made one of the rivals for my mercenary unit be a revived Cochraine's Goliaths,  even though the original was wiped out in the Fourth Succession War.    The visual appeal of a regiment composed mainly of the huge quad 'mechs is just too appealing to ignore.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #38 on: 27 March 2018, 10:56:05 »
Two problems with that . . .

First, the registered name and logo . . . see the Chaos Irregular's difficulty in finding a logo not registered with the MRBC.

Second . . . why be associated with defeat?  You are a merc, you sell the image of winning (or at least surviving) so it would be bad marketing to link to such a name.
Colt Ward

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 27 March 2018, 11:21:36 »
Two problems with that . . .

First, the registered name and logo . . . see the Chaos Irregular's difficulty in finding a logo not registered with the MRBC.

Second . . . why be associated with defeat?  You are a merc, you sell the image of winning (or at least surviving) so it would be bad marketing to link to such a name.

Didn't seem to bother James O'Gordon.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #40 on: 27 March 2018, 14:40:34 »
One example out of the centuries of mercs . . . we also have plenty of examples of individuals doing illogical things- just watch game shows where the final part is 'double or nothing!'

I did not say it could not be done though the first point does raise legal hurdles depending on how the MRBC or previous ComStar outlet functions.  Heck, in 3030 if you called yourself Wolf's Dragoons and tried to hire out as that I imagine you might have some people knocking on your door.  Just imagine being that guy named Wolfe who got a lance together and went to ComStar to register his new unit's name of Wolfe's Dragoons in 3005.
Colt Ward

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #41 on: 27 March 2018, 18:02:46 »
Just imagine being that guy named Wolfe who got a lance together and went to ComStar to register his new unit's name of Wolfe's Dragoons in 3005.

"Fine, ya' bastards! We'll jus' call ourselfs The *Real* Wolfe's Dragoons then."

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 27 March 2018, 18:18:25 »
1st Original Wolfe’s Dragoons. Copyright pending with MRBC...

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #43 on: 27 March 2018, 21:24:48 »
1st Original Wolfe’s Dragoons. Copyright pending with MRBC...

Did someone call for the 1st Famous Original Wulf's Dragoons?
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 28 March 2018, 09:08:01 »
In the collection of BT short stories called "Shrapnel" a mercenary infantry unit does encounter a mercenary 'mech unit that calls themselves "The Black Widows".

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #45 on: 28 March 2018, 17:42:43 »
Recycling of names does occur. MWDA material had mentions of both Bronson's Horde and the Black Cobras, even though both units were destroyed in the Jihad (Although the Black Cobras weren't explicitly destroyed and simply lumped in with the 'all the Word merc units' label). In both cases, they were active merc units with no explanation as to how they cam back from the proverbial dead
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 31 March 2018, 09:19:34 »
Old CityTech book has the Black Cats, an Infantry Battalion running into some wannabe's... Caught them in a grease factory or something, Got a light Soldier? Also the side bar about how scavenging done right, a Warhammer with SPAM all down its back and legs... and a Locust with CHICKEN across it's torso!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #47 on: 02 April 2018, 22:10:43 »
It is not a great way to make money but it makes a great story.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #48 on: 02 April 2018, 22:43:45 »
Demon, you thinking the mechs are doing promos like NASCAR?  Pretty sure they are making jokes about the armor being tin.

What type of command WOULD get sponsorships like NASCAR?
Colt Ward

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #49 on: 02 April 2018, 23:09:56 »
Demon, you thinking the mechs are doing promos like NASCAR?  Pretty sure they are making jokes about the armor being tin.

What type of command WOULD get sponsorships like NASCAR?

I feel like something like this was mentioned for Greenburg's Godzillas.  Not positive.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 02 April 2018, 23:35:27 »
Either one that spends most of its time on Solaris (to provide their sponsors greater media coverage throughout the IS) or one that spends most of its time protecting its sponsors' assets, like the Blackstone Highlanders.

Occasionally certain corporations will use mercenary command (that they trust) to test new technology, new variants or new units in the field and will provide material, financial and/or technical assistance in exchange for testing results, combat footage (for marketing campaigns or to correct problems), etc.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #51 on: 03 April 2018, 18:32:55 »
Not talking about sponsoring that way, but adds on the side of mechs- like Timbiqui Dark.
Colt Ward

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #52 on: 03 April 2018, 19:10:40 »
Because in the end, despite how dystopian the Successor States are, very few companies are going to want to be openly associated with paid killers.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 04 April 2018, 09:06:16 »
Not talking about sponsoring that way, but adds on the side of mechs- like Timbiqui Dark.

In the field, the only corporations who would want to advertise would be military manufacturers and their (signature) units would be their ad.  The Thumpers were formerly Defiance's demonstration unit and was meant to bring in more revenue but instead convincingly demonstrated the flaws of their assault designs rather than their strengths.  Not to mention that few mercenary units would want to have ads that would negate their units' camouflage in combat (ads are meant to attract attention after all) or the likelihood of their ad actually reaching a target audience would be slim to none for any non-military manufacturer.

The only real exception would be the competition fields of battlemech gaming worlds like Solaris where the media broadcasts the matches to worlds throughout the Inner Sphere which was mentioned above.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 04 April 2018, 18:51:42 »
Solaris and the other game worlds only I would say.
No company wants their logo and name all over a Mech captured on the news as it shoots up a village. Or worse... is shot to pieces

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 04 April 2018, 19:08:45 »
Which era in BT history would you consider the golden age of the mercenary? I think I would put my money on the CLan Invasion. Though a lot of mercenary units were wiped out in this period, there seemed to be even more call for them than during the Succession War era.

Hands-down the 3rd SW.  It was pretty much designed to reward mercenaries as protagonists.

1) It's a mech-centric style of warfare- a General leading a division of infantry may outrank the merc Captain, but when the Captain commands the mechs the General has to follow the Captain's lead.

2) It's the height of mech chivalry.  Battles aren't bloody affairs fought to the bitter end.. you just admit defeat when the other side gets the upper hand and you withdraw before either side has to suffer losses of significant materiel.  Socially acceptable cutting of one's losses is important to the mercenary trade ;)

3) The flip side of #2.. no Total War.  There's little profit to be had in existential clashes of civilizations like the Clan Invasion or Jihad... only survival.  Survival isn't necessarily highly paying.

4) It's a post-apocalyptic setting.  The high and mighty House Lords are held over the barrel collectively by the Mercs of the Inner Sphere.  The House Lords need mercs to continue prosecuting the endless Succession Wars.  You're individually better off as a merc mechwarrior in the 3rd SW than you are as a House Army regular.

5) It's the 3rd SW.  That's when all was right and good with BattleTech :D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 04 April 2018, 19:14:43 »
Unless it is / was set as a Trap to lure the enemy to get negative feedback.

WolfNet reporter: As you can see, the unit known as The Boogiemen, of Comstar mercenary affiliation, is seen destroying downtown Huntress. The Boogiemen dropped late last night during a blizzard, completing a rare combat drop during a storm of that caliber. Comstar denies this, stating that The Boogiemen were instead no where near Huntress at the time. More on this development later. I am Tom Tucker, for WolfNet, your merc. news agent. Ok, thanks Tom... and now for the local weather, Sue?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #57 on: 04 April 2018, 19:18:44 »
Another thing to consider is that there is a degree of professional pride among Mercs. Many saw Greenburg as being a sellout for putting sponsor logos on his 'Mechs.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 04 April 2018, 19:31:18 »
Yes I remember that...

In my example, it was a Word of Blake unit masquerading as The Boogiemen. The real ones weren't even around!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Face

• Corporal
« Reply #59 on: 18 April 2018, 09:10:14 »
So here is a new question for the merc-playing vets here... if you were to start all over making a brand new unit today:

1. What size unit would you start with? (Lance, Company, etc)
2. What era would you initiate the unit creation in?
3. What era would you initiate the gameplay in? (Different from #2 in that you could create a unit in SW3 and offline advance to the CI to build up backstory, characters, etc)
4. What is your favorite origin faction and why? (Just because you came from there doesn't mean you play there or ever affiliate with it.)
Quote from: Darzoni
A Mad Cat, honey, is what happens when a Marauder and Catapult love each other very much.

Register