Author Topic: (Answered) Ghost Targets and TAG & Semi Guided Missiles  (Read 1669 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
(Answered) Ghost Targets and TAG & Semi Guided Missiles
« on: 29 August 2019, 11:33:37 »
In my ongoing series of tearing apart the Ghost Target Rules, I have found yet another...oddity...in the rules.

TAG, and Semi Guided Missiles

Now, thankfully due to the super tight rules on WHEN things happen, looking to the TAG RULES in TW (page 142), the rules state:

TAG (TARGETING ACQUISITION GEAR)
Targeting acquisition gear designates (or “paints”) an enemy unit to be struck by another unit’s weapons. Instead of making a to-hit roll for TAG during the Weapon Attack Phase, all units needing to make TAG to-hit rolls do so after the end of the Movement Phase (Aerospace), but before the beginning of the Weapon Attack Phase (initiative is still followed, however).

And GHOST TARGETS state in TAC OPS (page 102):

At the start of every Weapon Attack Phase when a unit has an ECM suite tuned to generate ghost targets, the unit may target either one friendly or one enemy unit within range of its ECM suite (a unit may target itself ).

We can easily see that the attempt to TAG a target will never result in the target having Ghost Images. But what happens to attacks made with Semi Guided missiles?

If the TAG is successful, does the Attack still suffer from the GHOST TARGETS? logically one would think not, as the semi guided attack is targeting the TAG designation, not the Mech/unit itself.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2020, 19:49:33 by Xotl »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Re: Ghost Targets and TAG & Semi Guided Missiles
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2019, 10:19:56 »
*BUMP*

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Re: Ghost Targets and TAG & Semi Guided Missiles
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2019, 08:06:37 »
2 Month Bump

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Ghost Targets and TAG & Semi Guided Missiles
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2020, 19:49:28 »
Units firing Semi-Guided Missiles at a TAGged and Ghosted target are still attacking said target, not the TAG dot.  Remember that S-G rounds are not AE, therefore if they weren't attacking the target itself, they could not damage it, only the little red dot.  As such, S-G attacks do indeed have to contend with Ghost Targets.

Just as Ghost Targets can potentially baffle every other means of weapon guidance, SG LRMs TAG seeking guidance are not immune.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Re: (Answered) Ghost Targets and TAG & Semi Guided Missiles
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2020, 10:11:18 »
Thanx Again. Good to Know!