Author Topic: 2012-12-09 The Nellus Academy Incident, Book 2, Parts 1-5 [Jennifer Brozek]  (Read 10760 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
2012-11-14 The Nellus Academy Incident, Book 2, Part 1

Space travel is one long waiting period, punctuated by moments of panic and exhilaration.

When the cadets experience their first hyperspace jump, will anyone succumb to Transit Disorientation Syndrome?

2012-11-14 The Nellus Academy Incident, Book 2, Part 2

"Open your mouth again and I will shoot you."

While under guard, the cadets must hatch a desperate plan to overpower the hijackers.

2012-11-25 The Nellus Academy Incident, Book 2, Part 3

"Now you know what happens if you don’t behave."

If the cadets are to regain control of their DropShip, they must put their plan into action. Will all of them survive?

2012-12-02 The Nellus Academy Incident, Book 2, Part 4

"I trust you. But don’t shoot me. This is live."

The cadets' struggle against the hijackers rages on, and the General must make his own bid for freedom.

2012-12-05 The Nellus Academy Incident, Book 2, Part 5

Training is no substitute for experience...or treachery.

In the final part of Book 2, the Nellus Academy cadets will need to apply everything they have learned if they are to save themselves and the General.

[era]CW[/era]
« Last Edit: 09 December 2012, 11:28:53 by roosterboy »

Frabby

• Major
"Sergeant Stein, to his credit,..." BAM!   :o

Wow. That's an abrupt change of tone. So abrupt in fact that it didn't quite register when reading it at first; I went "huh, what? Wait a moment...!" and had to go back two sentences to re-read it.
Well done.  :)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

gaaneden

• Recruit
I did say that action was coming... and it's not going to stop. What I put those poor cadets through....
~Jenn

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
I did say that action was coming... and it's not going to stop. What I put those poor cadets through....
~Jenn
We appreciate it!  O0
I'm always thrilled to have new fiction on Battlecorps.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
BTW, Book 2, Part 2 is now up.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Part 3 is up.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
You want Part 4?

You got Part 4.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
I hear Part 5 a-callin'...

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
I'm assuming -because it appears here people read Bk 2, Part I- that a) something with the file changed or b) in spite of my quadruple checking, I'm doing something wrong, but I went to print out Bk 2 and noticed the Print PDF versions of Part I was titled and displaying Pt II.

Any chance this can be updated soon?

Belay my last. [shaking head] Still don't know where the error occurred, but I've got it now.

Thanks,
Rev
« Last Edit: 02 May 2013, 15:49:55 by Revanche »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
A question for Jennifer - when the story says Phobos is "a planetoid near Gienah" - does that mean an adjacent world in the Gienah system, or in a system within jump range of the Gienah system?
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

gaaneden

• Recruit
Think of Phobos as an outlying planetoid with its own atmosphere and small ecosystem. Officially, I wasn't allowed to create a brand new planet. Something about the mapmaker taking my head. :)

To answer your question, it is on the LA side of the line. It is within the Geinah system, within one jump from Geinah and Nestor (as the two systems are one jump from each other).

Jenn

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Thanks for the clarification.  Much appreciated.  Looking forward to the continuation.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

gaaneden

• Recruit
Did you get to read Book 3 yet?

Book 4 is in the editor's hands for layout.

The final book, Book 5, is in for editing.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Yes, I have downloaded and read Book 3 (parts 1-5), and am looking forward to the remaining books. 

I try to datamine stories as they come out for later reference, and so was curious about exactly how Phobos fit into the structure of the Gienah system, and why such a habitable planetoid (either naturally so, or terraformed at some point) didn't host a formal colony in a system as developed as Gienah.

I was also curious about the relative status of the Nellus Academy for the FWLM - where does it stand on the continuum of academies in the (soon to be Former-) Free Worlds League?  Princefield is at the top, and the much derided Hero Institutes lie at the bottom, but where does Nellus lie?  Is it an old but obscure institution (thus not appearing in the 3059 Field Manual: Free Worlds League), or a relatively recent initiative?

gaaneden

• Recruit
Note: The author is speaking. These are her background thoughts on how things work with the story she set up. I am not writing anything for the source books.

Phobos was always supposed to be "uninhabited" so it could be a listening post of sorts. It's only been recently that it's become the planned staging ground for an invasion.

As for the Nellus Academy, I cannot answer your questions. I chose Nestor for two reasons:
1. It was on a relatively stable boarder between the FWL and the LA.
2. It had one line of description in the whole of the 27 years of Battletech IP.

That meant I could make up a whole lot about the world, the people, and the organizations on the planet.  I do not know if it will appear in any of the source book material going forward. It might.