Author Topic: New Development Snapshot 0.45.2 for Megamek, MegaMekLab, and MekHQ  (Read 18271 times)

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Hi Everyone,
Next release in this development cycle.  It's been a couple of months since our last releases and we've got a lot of stuff in this one. So friendly reminder, there will likely be bugs under the hood here.  The biggest additions in this release are addition of TRO style summary and Protomek construction.

TRO Style Summary
For years we've had people tell us one of the biggest issues they have with MegaMekLab is it's inability to give good outputs.  So we've launched a new summary and TRO tab.  We've got a new template library to format unit stats in the official TRO format. The primary motivation for this was to make a more complete unit summary available for exporting unit designs from MML in plain text.

Each unit type has both an HTML and a plain text template. The HTML template is used to add an alternate unit display in the unit selector dialog:

We've also expanded the fluff fields and show them in the TRO tab. In MegaMekLab there is a new tab for editing fluff. It still has a couple things left to do.  Here is an example of what the display looks like with the fluff filled in:

Looking ahead plans include adding support for assigning manufacturers and models for individual pieces of mounted equipment and an option to integrate it with factory data in MekHQ. With a template library in place a rework of the BV and cost summaries is also in order.

Megamek.
In addition to the TRO Style summary, we've some of the missing Protomek equipment (Melee weapon, Quad melee system, Fusillade, and Magnetic clamps). Princess continues to go to flight school, with the ability to handle aerospace units with non-advanced flight rules. We also have fixes for the force generator, Zweihander SPA, tons of new sprites, and added the ability to have system wide equipment

MegaMekLab.
In addition to the Protomek construction there are lots of bug fixes. Protomek completions allows us to start planning the Support Vee construction in the new year.

MekHQ.
Lots of bug fixes and some new stuff.  We've added the Tech SPA, Planet-Based Acquisition, improvements to awards, and more historical data.  Looking down the road we've got improvements to scenario generation coming, canon generated data for all systems in all eras.

Also a reminder to drop into the Slack channel to meet other players and harass the devs that drop in and out. 

As a reminder when moving between versions:
1)   Make backups of your campaigns and customs.
2)   Always treat each release as a stand alone release and only copy your data forward from older versions.

There is a good chance you’ll have issues in MekHQ with unit name changes.  If you get errors loading your campaign as result of unit name errors please see this post.
Name Issues with units
The change log below lists all the changes in this release from the previous stable.

CHANGE LOGS AND DOWNLOAD LINKS
Megamek.
Download Here
Code: [Select]
-Switched build system from ant to gradle.
-Issue #1122: Piloting/gunnery skills generated from the wrong tables [Force Generator]
-PR #1132: Zweihander
-Issue #1149: Force Generator switching from Mechs to Protomechs for Clans that deploy them
-Data: Various fixes to unit names as a result of the Large Craft changes.
-Data: New Sprites
-PR #1152: Refactor of methods for getting pilot SPAs
-Issue #1127: Fix for units not applying camo in certain circumstances
-PR #1164: System wide equipment [Support for aerospace equipment in a generic, non-firing arc location]
-Issue #1172: Game Non-Responsive
-PR #1170: Bullet-proofing various edge cases for space maps; weather related info no longer displayed in space
-Issue #1177: Rocket Launcher bug after configuring unit
-PR #1185: Protomech validation, updates to protomech unit files from errata and addition of Wars of Reaving units.
-PR #1186: Protomech equipment (implentation of melee weapon, quad melee system, fusillade, and magnetic clamps)
-PR #1184: Bot handling for aerospace units on low-atmospheric maps and on space maps using non-advanced flight rules
-PR #1193: TRO style summary

MegaMekLab.
Download Here
-Bug: Aerospace transport tab does not refresh when tech base/year/level changes.
-Issue #195: Multiple Items of One Ammo Type Don't Add to Available Tonnage for Large Craft
-Issue #198: Nova CEWS & heat sinks on vehicles
-Issue #203: Inner Sphere Endo Steel is unavailable to early clan mechs
-Issue #194: Large Aerospace Unit Tonnage Doesn't Update at Bottom of Screen
-Issue #206: Mass Driver Ammo doesn't use up weight
-Issue #208: MMLs don't seem to need gunners
-Issue #207: Warship Crew Accommodation Officer Count/Quarters
-PR #209: System-wide equipment [general location for non-weapon equipment for aerospace units and
ammo in fighters]
-Issue #205: Blue Shield Particle Field Dampener (BSPFD) can't be dragged into ASF slots
-Issue #210: Superheavy printing issue: Armor distribution wrong?
-Issue #211: Warship Cost Breakdown shows BV calculation
-Issue #186: Weapons & Equipment Inventory table content linespacing
-Issue #213: Battle Armor Pop Up Mines way too heavy
-Issue #214: Battle Armour Sorting Equipment by Weight
-Issue #215: Quadvees have issues with Quadvee cockpits and XL/XXL engines
-Issue #218: Heavy Gauss Rifles on Superheavy 'Mechs Triggering Split Crit Dialog
-PR #212: Protomechs
-PR #221: TRO and fluff [Export format defaults to TRO-style, older format available in configuration dialog.
Adds tab for editing unit fluff.]

MekHQ:
Download Here
-Issue #917: Hire Full Compliment Regularly Hires Bondsmen
-Issue #919: Dropship Crewmembers/techs displayed as "Nobody" In Repair Bay
-Issue #860, #911: Remove unusable units after multi-day or mass repairs.
-PR #923: Tech SPA
-PR #928: Allow mothballed units in retirement dialog
-PR #927: Map Colors for Socio-Industrial Level
-PR #926: Planet-based acquisition option
-Issue #946: Some personnel (techs and admins) no longer able to be right clicked.
-Issue #856: Invalid AtB required lances number no longer prevents user from editing contract
-Planets: Added additional data to planets.xml
-PR #956: System-wide equipment [Aerospace system equipment not associated with weapons shows in a fuselage
or hull location when filtering by location in repair tab].
-Issue #852: Support for Award clusters if an award is given multiple times to a person.
-Issue #905: Fixes NPE when a spouse is missing on campaign load or personnel menu click.
-PR #882: Adds support for gzipped Campaign files (*.cpnx.gz).
-Planets: Reunification War data for Outworlds Alliance + start of RWR
-PR #959: Fix for inability to repair damaged VTOL internal structure after loading campaign
-Issue #967: Fix bug where acquired Units could never be bought
-PR #971: Feature allowing grouping personnel by their unit on the Personnel tab
-Issue #865: Changing Award Date Does Not Update Award Tooltip
-Issue #973: No contracts are offered at the start of an AtB campaign.
-Issue #949: Mechwarrior KO'ed at beginning of battle
-Issue #981: Fixed bug where refits overcharged for armor or would perform excess moves
Enjoy everyone.
« Last Edit: 18 November 2018, 20:19:59 by Hammer »
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Re: New Development Snapshot 0.45.2 for Megamek, MegaMekLab, and MekHQ
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2018, 20:04:51 »
Example of the new cut and paste from MegaMekLab, using the Export to Clipboard function and the CODE tags.

Thorn THE-S

Mass: 20 tons
Chassis: Chariot Type II
Power Plant: GM 120
Cruising Speed: 64.8 kph
Maximum Speed: 97.2 kph
Jump Jets: None
     Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Durallex
Armament:
     2 Medium Laser
     1 LRM 5
Manufacturer: Ford Military Limited
     Primary Factory: Terra
Communication System: Olmstead 30
Targeting & Tracking System: Omicron VII
Introduction Year: 3035
Tech Rating/Availability: D/X-E-D-D
Cost: 1,558,320 C-bills

Overview
 One of the older Terran Hegemony and later Star League light mechs the Thorn originally made it's debut in the late twenty fourth century.  According to survivng records from the period the Thorn was the first to mount Endo Steel II internal structure.  This allowed the design to save significant weight in it's chasis at the expense of increased bulk taking up what would otherwise be valuable space for additional equipment.

Capabilities
 Reviews of the Thorn have always been mixed.  Hefty firepower for a design of the mass range won it many supporters but many commanders and mechwarriors found the lack of jump jets a significant drawback when the Thorn was forced into roles it was ill suited for.  This was compounded with only modest ground mobility for a unit of the Thorn's mass.  During the height of the Star League where there were enough mechs to fill the roles that the Thorn was poorly suited to this drawback was largely overlooked.

Deployment
 Best suited to being a reasonably mobile firesupport design the Thorn was often teamed with Hussars during the Star League era.

Type: Thorn
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Introductory)
Tonnage: 20
Battle Value: 510

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure                                    2
Engine                        120 Fusion              4
Walking MP: 6
Running MP: 9
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sink                     10                      0
Gyro                                                  2
Cockpit                                               3
Armor Factor                  64                      4

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Head                    3         8     
     Center Torso            6         8     
     Center Torso (rear)               4     
     R/L Torso               5         6     
     R/L Torso (rear)                  3     
     R/L Arm                 3         6     
     R/L Leg                 4         7     

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Hand

Weapons
and Ammo              Location  Critical   Heat    Tonnage
2 Heat Sinks             CT        2        -       2.0   
LRM 5 Ammo (24)          RT        1        -       1.0   
2 Heat Sinks             RT        2        -       2.0   
Medium Laser             LA        1        3       1.0   
2 Heat Sinks             LT        2        -       2.0   
Medium Laser             HD        1        3       1.0   
LRM 5                    RA        1        2       2.0   

Also a quick update on what Princess can currently do.
At this point, the bot can use just about any unit properly, with the following exceptions:

- Cannot fire artillery
- Does not spot or use indirect-fire weapons
- Cannot fly spheroid dropships on ground or low-atmospheric maps
- Does not know how to load units into transports (but will happily unload infantry)
- Probably doesn't know how to launch fighters
- Height management is a little wonky for VTOLs and on low-atmospheric maps, but VTOLs work fine otherwise
- Doesn't know how to lay mines
- Won't reveal hidden units voluntarily
- No support for double blind play
- Units will sometimes get stuck and "hump the wall" in rough or urban terrain
- No support for "advanced vehicle movement" rules
- Submarines will not move, but will fire
- Probably can't use "manually guided" ordnance in space battles
« Last Edit: 20 November 2018, 14:14:20 by Hammer »
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2018, 22:05:22 »
Megamek.
-PR #1184: Bot handling for aerospace units on low-atmospheric maps and on space maps using non-advanced flight rules

:o

So this means I can have capital scale naval battles on the space map using Warships, Dropships, Space Stations, and Fighters against Princess?
« Last Edit: 18 November 2018, 22:07:11 by Stormforge »
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2018, 22:49:58 »
Example of the new cut and paste from MegaMekLab, using the Export to Clipboard function and the CODE tags.

Thank you so much for this. 
Being able to put customs on this forum easily will be such a nice thing. 

I wonder if you can add an output mode for Reddit next?

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2018, 23:14:41 »
:o

So this means I can have capital scale naval battles on the space map using Warships, Dropships, Space Stations, and Fighters against Princess?

Correct. Let us know how she does!

The only caveat is that she doesn't "do" spheroid dropships in low atmo or on ground maps yet, as those use entirely different rules from all other aircraft.  ::)

BikeRacks

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 18 November 2018, 23:55:16 »
Always thrilled to see a new release thread. Your work is appreciated  :thumbsup:

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 19 November 2018, 02:09:35 »

The only caveat is that she doesn't "do" spheroid dropships in low atmo or on ground maps yet, as those use entirely different rules from all other aircraft.  ::)

Only Aerotech I have really played so far is AtB scenarios ever since dropships, then aerospace and conventional fighters were introduced there, and a few experimental games before that. Has to be better than the capital game I tried after aerospace was first introduced to Princess. Bot just seemed to spin in place.  ;D

Just in time for the unit I began putting together for AtB night before last. Starting with just the LAM Lance and the Union then building from there.

Custom Union with 4 Fighter, 4 Mech, 8 Light Vehicle, and 4 Jump Infantry Bays, leftover tonnage went to cargo.
4 LAMs - PHX-HK2, PHX-HK2M, STG-A5, and WSP-105M (Experimenting using these as Recon or a QRF reinforcement in AtB)
4 Undecided 5/8/5+ Mechs
4 VTOL Gunships
4 VTOL Transports
4 Jump Infantry Platoons

I already know the LAMs are going to be "fun" after a few games I have tried them in. Just trying to maneuver in on Princess, with it using conventional fighters is a pain. After having used Corsairs, Hellcat I and IIs, and Stingrays for AtB CAS/CAP, I have found those thrust points are life. The more you can spend on the ground maps without PSRs the better you can position yourself.

Need to find a good thread or article on planetary defenses for various worlds. Most seem to likely only have aerospace fighters or orbital defenses looking at the Space Station list in Megamek. Even if they have that much for some of the more backwater worlds.
« Last Edit: 19 November 2018, 02:21:16 by Stormforge »

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2018, 12:43:32 »
FYI as of this release it is no longer necessary to use --add-modules java.se.ee" on the command line with Java 9+. Also this is the first release that works with Java 11.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2018, 19:21:40 »
You guys rock
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Dohon

• Corporal
  • Beware the bear!

Cenalt

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 21 November 2018, 19:58:43 »
Excellent work!

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2018, 20:57:41 »
FYI as of this release it is no longer necessary to use --add-modules java.se.ee" on the command line with Java 9+. Also this is the first release that works with Java 11.

Clueless on Java versions. I am currently running Java 8 Update 191. Should I or do I need to switch to another newer version? Any advantage to it? Right now I believe MegaMek and its other programs are all I use it for. Most searches I do point me to Version 8's download.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #12 on: 21 November 2018, 21:14:33 »
Clueless on Java versions. I am currently running Java 8 Update 191. Should I or do I need to switch to another newer version? Any advantage to it? Right now I believe MegaMek and its other programs are all I use it for. Most searches I do point me to Version 8's download.
For now your good to stay.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #13 on: 21 November 2018, 23:03:15 »
My comment only applies to people who are running Java 9 or later. MegaMek, etc. requires at least Java 8, and that's not likely to change any time soon.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2018, 03:10:01 »
Thanks for the update!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2018, 07:02:16 »
For now your good to stay.

My comment only applies to people who are running Java 9 or later. MegaMek, etc. requires at least Java 8, and that's not likely to change any time soon.

Good to know, thank you. When I googled Java to make sure I had the latest it brought me to the download of 8. Googling the others brought me to what looked like development kits, and I'm not really savvy with programming or its languages.

Cannot say it enough, but thank you for making so much Awesomeness.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2018, 07:06:02 by Stormforge »

Andras

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 22 November 2018, 16:16:42 »
Can disposable weapons for infantry platoons be corrected? Right now you can only add them like support weapons. But you should be able to add them to every member of the platoon.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2018, 16:29:09 »
Can disposable weapons for infantry platoons be corrected? Right now you can only add them like support weapons. But you should be able to add them to every member of the platoon.

Currently not implemented.  We still have some things to finish off with infantry, likely not until next year.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2018, 16:58:41 »

Woo I asked for this awhile back trying to run a Star League Warship Campaign for my friend. :)
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 23 November 2018, 07:08:57 »
All I have to say is thank you and keep up the awesome work guys and gals.
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 23 November 2018, 09:30:40 »
 Issue with space stations, Olympus recharge, habitats, all factories are using patchwork armor and you are unable to even select and view the items. Confirmed still in .45.2.

BlueThing

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 25 November 2018, 23:14:59 »
Only Aerotech I have really played so far is AtB scenarios ever since dropships, then aerospace and conventional fighters were introduced there, and a few experimental games before that.
I hadn’t realized that fighters were included in AtB now.

Is there a write up somewhere of how that is implemented? For example, if I want air battles, do I need 3+ fighters in my air lances?

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 26 November 2018, 00:42:18 »
Currently, all you need to do to get fighters to show up is to go to the AtB tab in your campaign options and select the "allow enemy Aeros" checkbox. Then, they'll have the potential to show up on any scenario. It'll either be mostly conventional fighters when you're fighting against the planet owner, or ASFs (with 1/2 the configured odds) when the guys you're fighting don't own the planet.

Turn the infantry on while you're there. They're still not that great, but may become annoying in certain scenarios (and also may be deploy hidden).

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 26 November 2018, 04:35:27 »
Messing with Princess in Space has been interesting to say the least.

First time trying it I went all out, and set up the first Tactics of Desperation scenario with the LCS Invincible. Some units moved, but it froze on the Warships.  :'(

So I did a little testing. For the record I have no real Space Aerotech experience. Saying that Princess beat me into a bloody pulp when I could get it to work.  xp

It seems to not like Warships. At least not the Samarkand Carrier Block II and Tharkad Battlecruiser I used. Sometimes they would move, or not. Would not fire weapons sometimes either. I could not determine what would get them to move or not.

Would not move the Achilles Dropship for me, but I did have an interesting duel with Behemoths. ::)

It seems that the bot is limited by speed and too many options freeze it up. It had no trouble at first with anything Dropship or smaller that was 5/8 or below. That is until I would accelerate away. When it happened I was at Velocity 7 and Princess at Velocity 2.

Fighters were about the same as Dropships. Princess would move Squadrons too, though still limited to the above.

I did try Newtonian Physics a couple times and the bot will move all units. I know it is not supported, but I was trying different things to see if i could get it to move. Warships caused the game to freeze in the end turn after you hit the done button. Other units would move and shoot, but it was like playing a game of Atari Combat or Asteroids as it would fly off the map and return with Return Flyovers Enabled.  ;D

Also I am noticing an error on lobby load for this version. "Client Checksum is null. Client may not have a jar file" Including my Megameklog.txt. I downloaded MegaMek and MekHQ multiple times to be sure I had a good download.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2018, 04:40:02 by Stormforge »

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 26 November 2018, 09:42:21 »
Thanks for the feedback re: warships, especially the specific types, I'll take a look at those.

BlueThing

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 26 November 2018, 16:08:28 »
Currently, all you need to do to get fighters to show up is to go to the AtB tab in your campaign options and select the "allow enemy Aeros" checkbox. Then, they'll have the potential to show up on any scenario. It'll either be mostly conventional fighters when you're fighting against the planet owner, or ASFs (with 1/2 the configured odds) when the guys you're fighting don't own the planet.

Turn the infantry on while you're there. They're still not that great, but may become annoying in certain scenarios (and also may be deploy hidden).
It sounds like enemy aerospace will show up in regular missions if the option is enabled.

Will there be any aerospace only missions? If not, I’d like to lobby for them to be added at some point. I’d love to see dropship escort missions, contested drops/landings, and aerospace superiority engagements (both in space and in atmo).

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 26 November 2018, 17:45:48 »
We (but it'll probably be me) will need to fix up some of the bugs people have found with bot handling of aerospace units first before putting such battles into AtB. But keep an eye out, as I'm working on a major overhaul of the AtB scenario generation system, which will include aerospace-only missions. It will also allow much greater scenario variety and interaction between scenarios. Hopefully I didn't bite off more than I can chew.

This is the working document, if you want to get an early peek at the mechanics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eej6999zlq0nmz5/AtB-Scenario-Stratcon.html?dl=0

Zellbringen

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 26 November 2018, 18:38:30 »
Not sure if I'm missing something.   I started a new game last night.  I changed the option to spend money to get a MechWarrior.  I ran through 2 months on Outreach, got several mechanics but never a MechWarrior and it never deducted money from my account.

yukamichi

• Corporal
« Reply #28 on: 26 November 2018, 21:05:43 »
Did you select "Mechwarrior" from the dropdown but forgot to click the radio button for making a paid roll? Because I do that a lot.

BlueThing

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 26 November 2018, 21:33:21 »
We (but it'll probably be me) will need to fix up some of the bugs people have found with bot handling of aerospace units first before putting such battles into AtB. But keep an eye out, as I'm working on a major overhaul of the AtB scenario generation system, which will include aerospace-only missions. It will also allow much greater scenario variety and interaction between scenarios. Hopefully I didn't bite off more than I can chew.

This is the working document, if you want to get an early peek at the mechanics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eej6999zlq0nmz5/AtB-Scenario-Stratcon.html?dl=0
Thanks. I’ll check that out later on my PC because it doesn’t want to play nicely with my iPad.

Register