Author Topic: MechWarrior 5: Clans Announced  (Read 11578 times)

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Announced
« Reply #90 on: 24 November 2023, 11:38:44 »
It's still an iteration of the UE Engine. I did hear a few whispers of the mechs being more easily backwards-portable due to this, though nothing certain.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #91 on: 25 November 2023, 00:16:19 »
Only trouble with using Unity Engine is the issue of royalties.

If the game too successful, that could be bad news for PGI. I'm little fuzzy what Unity Technologies is playing, how their reducing costs but still charging royalties.

It would effect MW5.

Thankfully, MWO doesn't run on it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #92 on: 25 November 2023, 01:00:12 »
Last I checked, MW5 doesn’t run on Unity; it’s Unreal Engine. Clans will also be Unreal Engine, if it has any claim to the MW5 title.
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #93 on: 25 November 2023, 09:31:03 »
Yes, Unreal Engine was what I meant when I said UE the entire time.

Genuinely confused because I thought UE was the shorthand for Unreal. Is URE the proper term?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #94 on: 25 November 2023, 10:31:07 »
Sorry, I got confused with UE initials, which could be initials for both engines.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #95 on: 27 November 2023, 16:49:06 »
It's still an iteration of the UE Engine. I did hear a few whispers of the mechs being more easily backwards-portable due to this, though nothing certain.

Yes the IS mechs will be the enemies that the player is facing (and clan mechs for any internal clan conflict)

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #96 on: 29 November 2023, 21:51:12 »
Hopefully like Mercs there is a custom instant action scenario section too

To "simulate" playing as any other Clan than the Jags, besides your paint job in the campaign.

Do we know if like Mercs, you can have a buddy or two drop in and play with you

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #97 on: 29 November 2023, 22:44:13 »
Yes; your entire Star can be human players if you want and have people willing to join, just as Mercs you can fill every seat in your Lance.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #98 on: 01 December 2023, 23:46:15 »
Yes; your entire Star can be human players if you want and have people willing to join, just as Mercs you can fill every seat in your Lance.

Nice, also Custom instant action Scenarios too ? Like Mercs

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 02 December 2023, 18:04:42 »
That I do not know.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #100 on: 03 December 2023, 21:18:25 »
Its in MW5: Mercs and is relatively simple so is probably a no-brainer inclusion, but yeah far too early.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #101 on: 11 December 2023, 21:23:31 »
AI zellbrigen might not be that hard.

In MW5 Mercs, if an enemy is shooting at one of your lancemates, and the lancemate moves so that your 'Mech obstructs the enemy's line of fire, the enemy will stop firing to avoid hitting you and then resume fire when they have a clear shot at their original target again.

PGI's AI is so bad they've accidentally gotten halfway to creating an AI that fights as stupidly as a Clanner.
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #102 on: 12 December 2023, 02:41:24 »
Now they gotta get the other half; complete (or near-complete, at least; there are some nuances of course) absence of focus fire. lol

Of course, I don't expect it will actually, purposefully be implemented. More likely, I expect it will be fudged or ignored like all other cases of Clans in combat in MechWarrior games. The player is free to enforce it at their own discretion with starmate orders of course, but why would they? Legally, most engagements in MechWarrior games become melees anyway.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2023, 02:47:53 by Akamia »

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #103 on: 23 February 2024, 07:59:00 »
So possible things to look forward to MW5: Clans, following suite with MW5: Mercs and have DLC packs, about events that take place after the main story

EG: DLC "The Refusal War" or a mode that opens up half of the IS, so its like open world, picking your Clan ?

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #104 on: 23 February 2024, 16:45:44 »
That reason is why I'm thinking Tukayyid, or worst case Luthien, will likely be the the end point of the base game, with other conflicts like Refusal War if they offer other Clans or Bulldog and Serpent if they insist on keeping them purely Smoke Jag being DLC options.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #105 on: 24 February 2024, 00:40:28 »
Makes sense doing it like they did for Mercs with its DLC

OR

the game is a test bed for the next game "MW6". Honestly I hope they do just add DLC packs for other Clan conflicts, means we get it sooner :cool:

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #106 on: 24 February 2024, 07:36:07 »
I think it depends on something how much content their going bring.

I'd love see these guys run around Clan Homeworlds doing missions prior to going the the Inner Sphere, but I suspect they don't have the budget it for that.  I would think they'd do  Kickstarter if they really wanted to do a MW6 at this point.   Taking the Epic poison pill didn't help them while they were working out of thing in beta rep wise, so Kickstarter may not be enough.

DLC Tukkyiad, Bulldog, without going back to the Inner Sphere would properly be in reach for the game.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #107 on: 01 March 2024, 17:15:09 »
MWO Update teasing more MW5 Clans news in Feb was kinda sorta true but not really :(

https://mwomercs.com/news/2024/01/2825-mechwarrior-online-legends-2024-q1-intel

https://x.com/russ_bullock/status/1763361790250074523?s=20

Russ Bullock pouring water on more info in Feb by indicating next big thing is showing off demo behind closed doors at GDC, so we got news (barely) but that next substantive news won't be until end of March, so post MW5 Mercs DLC release.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #108 on: 01 March 2024, 21:37:28 »
So stuff missed my original post about the updates.

Beam Laser: A variation of the X-Pulse laser, this large class laser gives a continuous beam output.

Not sure I like that one for the Clans.  X-Pulse Laser suppose to equal a Clan Pulse Laser.  :undecided:

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #109 on: 08 March 2024, 06:23:09 »
Yes, when this all started I was baffled that PGI hadn't thought to get more things ready ahead of the magazine release, but then Chris Lowrey was talking about The Dragon's Gambit which I totally forgot was coming in under two weeks and which we still haven't see the release trailer for yet.

So was probably start hype for next MW5: Mercs DLC, then ride that hype with a tease on MW5: Clans before the big PC Gamer reveal.

LOL, I was reading this thread from the start and realise that effectively PGI are doing the same thing again. Solaris Showdown comes out March 14th, GDC occurs after that so they are going to get people hyped up again about existing MechWarrior game before spring boarding off that into news about the next media drop on the next MechWarrior game :)

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #110 on: 02 April 2024, 09:43:34 »
GDC demo has been uploaded:
https://youtu.be/rVTs2chsIXE

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #111 on: 02 April 2024, 10:32:57 »
Its pretty slick looking. Not sure about more graphical interfaces.  I guess it's a console sort setup.  I like having the description what I'm clicking on vs symbols.

I'm curious how much life there will be beyond the linear story.  Is that expansion that's needed for that?  Additional stories.   Is it sandbox.

Hopefully, the video that was announced will explain things more.

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #112 on: 02 April 2024, 15:20:47 »
Its pretty slick looking. Not sure about more graphical interfaces.  I guess it's a console sort setup.  I like having the description what I'm clicking on vs symbols.

I'm curious how much life there will be beyond the linear story.  Is that expansion that's needed for that?  Additional stories.   Is it sandbox.

Hopefully, the video that was announced will explain things more.

It's not sandbox, it's a linear scripted campaign akin to MW2 and the other previous MW games.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #113 on: 02 April 2024, 16:06:26 »
It's not sandbox, it's a linear scripted campaign akin to MW2 and the other previous MW games.
Well, I meant after the story is over.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #114 on: 03 April 2024, 07:43:23 »
Needs to have atleast a mix of MW4 Instant Actions (Unrestricted) (from the Campaign) and or something like MW3 and or MW5:M Instant mission generator, otherwise it will get boring real quick. DLC's like MW5:M would be the logical next step (and things to do with other Clans and or different time eras ?)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #115 on: 03 April 2024, 08:43:53 »
From the demo, I saw Instant Action was choice on the menu. So that's thre