Author Topic: (Answered) Infantry still can't attack infantry in Base-Base  (Read 1921 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Reading through the new ALPHA STRIKE COMMANDERS rulebook, I was disheartened to see that Infantry is still penalized to attack another unit while in base/base contact

Page 43, ALPHA STRIKE COMMANDER's Edition:

Units may not make weapon attacks against targets with which they are in base-to-base contact. Against such units, the attacker may only deliver a physical attack (see Ahysical Attacks, p 45.)

This means, that units like the ANTI-INFANTRY UNIT, 2nd LYRAN AI, 32 LYRAN GUARDS, are effectively shut down if they are based by another infantry unit.

To make matter worse, if that other infantry unit is a regular ol FOOT PLATOON (MG), they'll be whipped out as the Foot Platoon has the AM special ability, as per page 46 of the rules:

ANTI-'MECH INFANTRY ATTACKS
Units with the Anti-'Mech (AM) ability can make a special attack against ground units and grounded aerospaceunit with which they are in base-to-base contact. Although this is called an anti-'Mech attack, any unit on the ground may be targeted in this manner. (VTOLs and WiGEs can only be attacked if landed.)

Has this been over looked again? Should infantry not be able to engage other infantry even in base-to-base contact? Is hand-to-hand combat verbotten in the 31st century? Unless every single infantry automatically gets AM?

Currently on the MUL, there are 371 different infantry units, but only 146 has the AM ability

« Last Edit: 05 July 2019, 08:22:52 by nckestrel »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
The Lyran Anti-Infantry Unit should have AM.
Mechanized infantry are generally the ones that should not have AM, as they are effectively more like vehicles that also can't make physical attacks.  Motorized (along with Foot, Jump, etc) should still have AM.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: (Answered) Infantry still can't attack infantry in Base-Base
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2019, 08:37:11 »
So, just so I understand, if I come across any of the MUL infantry cards, ALL infantry/BA should have the AM ability, except mechanized infantry, The Type, not 'Descriptive name'
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: (Answered) Infantry still can't attack infantry in Base-Base
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2019, 08:48:12 »
Not _always_, I can't list all the exceptions.  But I just reviewed and updated most of the 3085 conventional infantry.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets